• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate healthcare repeal bill fails - Collins, Murkowski, and McCain voted no

No, he absolutely deserves that for this. No, we shouldn't forget everything else in the past, but the fact is that McCain killed this vote. Without him, this would have passed.

The next big issue is going to be the national budget and tax reform, and McCain's importance is going to bed diminished. And hell, dude could be dead by then, or at least incapacitated. This will, most likely, be his last major vote for legislation unless they try all of this again and fly him out from his deathbed again and he votes yes. We'll see when we get there.
A villain can do something good once in a while. They're still a villain.

According to the hill article, he voted no because he didn't trust the House assurances that they wouldn't just vote this into law outright without conference adjustments.

Not his first rodeo, he knew it was going to turn into a shit sandwich and this was literally his last chance to stop it.

Rootbeer

Banned
I have defended McCain and got a lot of shit for it... the criticisms of him are valid... but today, at least he has done something we can all thank him for.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah, screw anyone hating on McCain right now.

He did the right thing when it mattered in the end. This was a big moment and, yes, I'm going to give him credit for it.

Rydeen

Based on the last thread, I think a lot of gaffers owe John McCain a big apology for the hate and vitrol they spewed not knowing how he'd vote, shameful.

Forgive me for my ignorance in these things but what happens now?

Dems start cooking up a plan?

For 2020.

Despite what McConnell said tonight, he has never been open to Democratic ideas for healthcare. They were shut completely out of the process. They'll continue to be shut out until they such time as they gain the majority and the presidency.

snap

Banned

They burned their one reconciliation chance, so now they need 60 votes.

Either the dems come up with a plan and convince enough GOP members to jump ship, or healthcare goes untouched for the rest of the year.

Shauni

Jesus, we just had a major and very unexpected victory, but people want to whine and bitch because people are praising one of the people who made it possible. If that's not a perfect case of the left eating itself in motion.

Dems already have a plan, it's called the ACA.

No one knows what happens now.

Prologue

I liked how in the other thread I mentioned we should wait and see, give him the benefit of the doubt.

Everyone was like "nuuuuuuuu, die scum". Impeding death changes some people.

Koomaster

Hope McCain can go home, get the treatment he needs, and the needed recovery time. I'll definitely say good on him for tonight. Hopefully in the coming days/weeks he'll be well enough to really speak out on the significance of his vote tonight.

And as always good work to Murkowski & Collins for holding strong through all the bullying their colleagues & Trump lobbed at them through all this.

Finally good job to the people who called their reps and protested. Keep being vigilant on this and speaking out.

For now tho great win for everyone honestly... except Trump, he can take the L.

*music plays me off stage*

Tubie

He stood there and voted no like a real american hero.

wallpaper_20080726114836_20811067632.jpg

Qblivion

So are the people who wished death on McCain going to recant now?
No. I still hope he suffers. Why can't you people fucking realize how he is playing you?

HE STILL WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR HEALTHCARE.

The only reason he voted no is because this bill was obviously shit. He wants a "proper" bill that goes through the house and senate in the "proper" manner so that when he does fuck you over he can be proud of how good of a job he did.

RedRum

Banned
Based on the last thread, I think a lot of gaffers owe John McCain a big apology for the hate and vitrol they spewed not knowing how he'd vote, shameful.

McCain isn't a saint but christ, that thread was fucking vicious. Need to go back in there and count the 'fuck yous'. Lol. Man didn't even vote yet at that point.

I bet this was planned to have McCain be the deciding vote.

Some republicans would have viewed it as politically damaging to vote against the repeal, but privately probably did not want it to actually repeal. This lets McCain have a nice moment to go out on and high note.

No. I still hope he suffers. Why can't you people fucking realize how he is playing you?

HE STILL WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR HEALTHCARE.

The only reason he voted no is because this bill was obviously shit. He wants a "proper" bill that goes through the house and senate in the "proper" manner so that when he does fuck you over he can be proud of how good of a job he did.

McCain is going to be dead the next time the senate votes on healthcare

Nope. Fuck him still. You all are so goddamn easy. He could have made his position clear a long-ass time ago, but the showboating and entertainment had to go on. But hey at least he got his moment at the expense of people developing ulcers from stress.

Toxi

Banned
Here's a Twitter video of McCain voting No. You can hear the gasps and see/hear some of the Democrats clap (including Warren in the back).

McCain even looks at McConnell after saying No. For a laugh, compare McConnell's expression from the beginning of the video to the end of it.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/890807095024603137/video/1

Past votes aside, McCain made the right vote here and he should be commended for it.
I can't imagine what was going through the Dems' heads when that happened.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I liked how in the other thread I mentioned we should wait and see, give him the benefit of the doubt.

Everyone was like "nuuuuuuuu, die scum". Impeding death changes some people.

Well, he voted for the earlier shitier bill.

Hence why we did not see this coming.

sangreal

FFS people. We don't even know under what thought process McCain voted no. And yet here we are declaring him a Hero??? The Man has literally fallen in-line with the GOP agenda for everything else.

Well, we do know his thought process -- he gave a speech saying what he would do when debate started. We just disregarded it because he is usually full of shit

I'm not the biggest fan of McCain, but he did good tonight. Honestly, if the republicans looked more like McCain, I would still disagree, but I think we would see a lot more civility.

I still won't forget that time where he was running against Obama and corrected the lady calling him evil and said, "No. I disagree with him, but he's a good man." That's how I feel about him.

Chococat

McCain deserved thanks for his vote tonight. Doesn't erase past disappointments.Give credit when it is due.

Being a maverick mean you can't count on him all the time. But there is a chance. That is why there is hope laid at his feet frequently.

He is not evil incarnate like McConnell or Ryan.

Trey

Somewhat out of the loop...is this the thing he flew to DC for and everyone thought he was going to vote yes for? Even the orange turd?

They were hoping for a straight repeal at that particular point. This "skinny" version that just lost was the back up option.

Nope. Fuck him still. You all are so goddamn easy. He could have made his position clear a long-ass time ago, but the showboating and entertainment had to go on. But hey at least he got his moment at the expense of people developing ulcers from stress.
I mean it going to vote and failing has ended any further efforts until next year at least and almost certainly until after midterms
I don't think McCain is a hero for this, but this is still the best case scenario

Top Bottom