• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate healthcare repeal bill fails - Collins, Murkowski, and McCain voted no

cIom6y3.jpg

10/10

Sadly folks gonna prop him up as a savior simply for being slightly less evil than usual.

It's like if someone pointed a gun at my head and decided not to pull the trigger. Thanks for not shooting me, I guess, but don't do that shit in the first place.

While I appreciate that McCain finally did the right thing, he still voted for the worse bill, and this one never would have gotten as far as it did without his support.

Shauni

No. I still hope he suffers. Why can't you people fucking realize how he is playing you?

HE STILL WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR HEALTHCARE.

The only reason he voted no is because this bill was obviously shit. He wants a "proper" bill that goes through the house and senate in the "proper" manner so that when he does fuck you over he can be proud of how good of a job he did.

Even if his intention is to stick it to the process, that is good, too, because the process of this debacle from start to finish has been shameful.

I mean, yeah, no one should just absolve McCain of everything, but in this instance, what he did was good. There's no reason we can't give him credit for that. Crucify him the next time, if there is a next time for me, and never let his terrible past be forgotten, but in this moment, just fucking enjoy that he helped in a victory. I mean, Christ on a Buffalo by the Sea, let's just enjoy that until the next moment of crushing sadness and defeat.

greepoman

No. I still hope he suffers. Why can't you people fucking realize how he is playing you?

HE STILL WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR HEALTHCARE.

The only reason he voted no is because this bill was obviously shit. He wants a "proper" bill that goes through the house and senate in the "proper" manner so that when he does fuck you over he can be proud of how good of a job he did.

Yes exactly. Props to him for voting against a bill which really was to just to sabotage Ocare. But make no mistake, he would take away people's healthcare in a heartbeat if it was a real plan. I mean he still voted yes to BRCA (or whatever the Senate Bill was called).

Edit:
According to the hill article, he voted no because he didn't trust the House assurances that they wouldn't just vote this into law outright without conference adjustments.

So yeah he voted no cause of the process, not because he didn't want to take healthcare away.

JCHandsom

"misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows."- The Tempest Act 2, Scene 2

ZeoVGM

Banned
OH MAN.

Ted Cruz is on Fox News right now being drowned the fuck out by protesters chanting "Thank you John McCain!" over and over.

Kusagari

McConnell sunk his own plan by refusing to actually do things the normal way. If he had, McCain would have voted for it.

You know what? McCain, I can respect a good, "With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!"

Not the way I would have done my mic drop, but I can dig it.

He'll do it by accident, and everyone will raise him above their proverbal heads like Danerys in GoT.

It's like if someone pointed a gun at my head and decided not to pull the trigger. Thanks for not shooting me, I guess, but don't do that shit in the first place.

While I appreciate that McCain finally did the right thing, he still voted for the worse bill, and this one never would have gotten as far as it did without his support.

Pretty much. Like thanks for deciding to let us live even though you're one of the folks who put our lives in danger in the first place.

Can't wait to see folks praise Trump when he does one good political deed.

If Trump signed healthcare for all into law, I would absolutely praise him. I would still want him impeached, but give praise where it's due. You don't have to absolutely hate every single thing a person does.

Prompto

Banned
I know this really isn't over unless democrats take control of the senate or house in 2018, but for now I am very happy.

I understand the knee jerk reaction to praise an individual as a hero but maybe thank some of the people like ADAPT who've been fighting for health care for a long-ass time and not people like McCain who are part of the shitty and broken system that let things get to this in the first place.

Yes, thank you for doing the absolute bare minimum for once on your death bed. Maybe the Ghost of Christmas Yet-To-Come is real.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
He'll do it by accident, and everyone will raise him above their proverbal heads like Danerys in GoT.

Pretty much. Like thanks for deciding to let us live even though you're one of the folks who put our lives in danger in the first place.
Trump and McCain aren't comparable though.

Toxi

Banned
From the other thread

If you're going to lionize any Republican tonight, lionize Murkowski.

When McCain was getting handjobs for being convinced to vote no, she was sticking to her guns while a bunch of senators surrounded and tried to bully her into changing her vote.

I understand the knee jerk reaction to praise an individual as a hero but maybe thank some of the people like ADAPT who've been fighting for health care for a long-ass time and not people like McCain who are part of the shitty and broken system that let things get to this in the first place.

Yes, thank you for doing the absolute bare minimum for once on your death bed. Maybe the Ghost of Christmas Yet-To-Come is real.
Again McCain is definitely no hero, but let's not pretend we didn't get a best case scenario

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Ya'll gotta learn about carrots and sticks. The old fuck did a good thing. Take the W and start looking at the next one.

This already happened on GAF when he bombed a Syrian airfield after telling Assad in advance he was going to bomb it.

Yeah, I remember that thread.

"Moderates" and "allies" building statues to republicans when they do one thing they agree with is why they continue to do heinous shit.

Seiniyta

I wonder if he voted yes on the worse bill earlier on because he knew I'd fail anyway only so he could vote NO later on to make it more dramatic lol. (unlikely, but I like to imagine that)

Shauni

Can't wait to see folks praise Trump when he does one good political deed.

If he does something legitimately good, then he would deserve praise for that thing. I mean, it's not like he ever will though, but the world is not so black and white. Nixon is one of the most corrupt motherfuckers of all time, but he helped sign into a law in regards to kidney dialysis that has been hugely beneficial to millions of people. And he deserves credit for that, but no one ever going to forget he was the most corrupt motherfucker ever either.

The best case scenario after tumbling down a couple flights of bullshit. Sure, take what you can get I suppose.
I mean it was the bet we could get with a republican majority in both houses. Yeah the initial situation was shit, but given the situation Coming in, this was still the best possible outcome for dems

Davide

If he does something legitimately good, then he would deserve praise for that thing. I mean, it's not like he ever will though, but the world is not so black and white. Nixon is one of the most corrupt motherfuckers of all time, but he helped sign into a law in regards to kidney dialysis. And he deserves credit for that, but no one ever going to forget he was the most corrupt motherfucker ever either.
He also created the EPA.

Top Bottom