• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Intel Committee to Receive the Comey Memos

The Senate Intelligence Committee has reached an agreement to receive memos written by former FBI Director James Comey detailing his interactions with President Donald Trump, Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) told POLITICO on Wednesday.

It had been an open question whether Congress would get access to the memos, which several committees in both the House and Senate have demanded to see.

Comey, who testified before Burr's panel earlier this month, kept detailed memos about his meetings with Trump, including one in which he says Trump expressed a desire for the FBI to drop its investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/28/richard-burr-james-comey-trump-memos-russia-240053

Steel

Banned
On the tick tick tick thing, it's probably something that needs a lot of coorbation. Or they're holding onto the story until the healthcare stuff dies down.

KoopaTheCasual

Thanks all. I purposefully italicized the boom because of how non-groundbreaking this development is. In retrospect, should have italicized the "this".
He posted one a few days ago with no resulting boom. He followed up and said the fuse of the boom is unknown and that it wouldn't necessarily be related to Comey.
That's the oldest, bullshit rumor fishing technique in the world; "Big big news is coming! But I can't say when it'll drop or what it's even about, but I'll be sure to swoop in to take credit in the end!"

Thanks all. I purposefully italicized the boom because of how non-groundbreaking this development is. In retrospect, should have italicized the "this".

That's the oldest, bullshit rumor fishing technique in the world; "Big big news is coming! But I can't say when it'll drop or what it's even about, but I'll be sure to swoop in to take credit in the end!"

We believe Wittes because he has a reliable track record and personal connection to Comey. If his claims turn out to be bullshit, we'll place him in the same pile as Louise Mensch and her band of flying Twitter monkeys.

KHarvey16

Ben Wittes is almost certainly telling the truth.

DarkKyo

He posted one a few days ago with no resulting boom. He followed up and said the fuse of the boom is unknown and that it wouldn't necessarily be related to Comey.

Bleh. As much as I want to see Trump taken down I find that guy's cavalier attitude towards these bombshells pretty distasteful. Of course I enjoy it when these incriminating or investigation-progressing news stories hit but his trying to make this serious stuff into giddy entertainment(as entertaining as they actually are) feels inappropriate within the context of the disgusting mess this country has become.

That said there's nothing inherently wrong with prepping people for bombshells, but the "tick tick" stuff just sounds dumb and gives ammo to the president's allies and followers about purported showboating and the idea that it's all some kind of conspiracy against Trump.

Bleh. As much as I want to see Trump taken down I find that guy's cavalier attitude towards these bombshells pretty distasteful. Of course I enjoy it when these incriminating or investigation-progressing news stories hit but his trying to make this serious stuff into giddy entertainment(as entertaining as they actually are) feels inappropriate within the context of the disgusting mess this country has become.

That said there's nothing inherently wrong with prepping people for bombshells, but the "tick tick" stuff just sounds dumb and gives ammo to the president's allies and followers about purported showboating and the idea that it's all some kind of conspiracy against Trump.

Why should we care what they think? No matter the source, no matter the content, they'll dismiss it as fake news. If anything, we need to stop caring about what Trump and his ilk think.

Zolo

Why should we care what they think? No matter the source, no matter the content, they'll dismiss it as fake news. If anything, we need to stop caring about what Trump and his ilk think.

For what it's worth, I agree the 'tick tick tick' stuff comes off a bit childish. A couple of tweets telling people to expect news & it's unknown what exact time frame it'll come out is fine. The Trump-Russia investigation is a serious issue & shouldn't be treated like some kind of game.

KoopaTheCasual

We believe Wittes because he has a reliable track record and personal connection to Comey. If his claims turn out to be bullshit, we'll place him in the same pile as Louise Mensch and her band of flying Twitter monkeys.
Fair. It's just that 'hint' sets up a super convenient 'out' if it's a turkey, but I hope people hold him to that.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
On the tick tick tick thing, it's probably something that needs a lot of coorbation. Or they're holding onto the story until the healthcare stuff dies down.

This is probably the case and since they are going on recess I expect it to be a lot longer fuse.

Fair. It's just that 'hint' sets up a super convenient 'out' if it's a turkey, but I hope people hold him to that.

If the CBO and the Health Care Bill didn't come out it would have came out. Give it time and they need to check sources.

KHarvey16

Are you sure? I thought it was just his meetings with Trump. Like in one of them he talked about how he wants to jail reporters for stories he doesn't like.

They are just his meetings with Trump, but some of those meetings involved classified material. The memo he "leaked" through a friend didn't have anything classified in it.

Are you sure? I thought it was just his meetings with Trump. Like in one of them he talked about how he wants to jail reporters for stories he doesn't like.

If the content of the meetings and memos became germane to classified investigations, then the memos would be classified, too.

Top Bottom