• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's lawyer to file complaint against Comey over memos

UCBooties

Watch as this turns into a multi-year investigation by Republicans that ultimately results in millions of dollars in wasted taxpayer money and no conviction.

Some say if stand in the capital rotunda at midnight and whisper "Hillary Clinton," you can still here the echo "Benghazi..."

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Trump really is every negative American stereotype rolled into one. I have a problem I'm not sure how to handle? Sue the bastards! I don't care how, just sue them!!1!11!1

If Trump was a story character, critics would pan him for being a caricature rather than a believable person.

I'm not really sure what a complaint entails in this circumstance. Comedy was fired...I guess it could stay on his record if he is ever a prospect for a DOJ position? As if anyone would forget what happened yesterday.

mclem

The memos aren't classified. Comey made sure of that.

Even if Comey handed a FBI print of the memos, I wouldn't be sure it would classify as a "leak" (Collins seems to think it would), but if Comey merely 'told' his friend of the content of the memo without handing any document, it would just amount to someone sharing their memories of an event with a friend.
There was a suggestion that he could get the professor to return the documents (to turn over to the committee), so we're talking about something physical. Indeed, I assume that one of the reasons the ctte asked for it back is so they can pore over it to confirm whether or not any confidential information is contained in it.

But I'd be very surprised if Comey slipped up in that regard!

MogCakes

I mean they can try to tie him up in legal proceedings but, good luck with that against the former FBI head who has an incredible record and connections to top level lawyers who would be drooling at the chance to take these guys on.

Fox318

It feels like Trump and his legal team are so used to dealing with people who do not fully understand law and take advantage of that, and now they are dealing with someone who was born in Law. Molded by it.

Now they don't know how to deal with him.

most of his business empire is built off of using eminent domain to push people out of neighborhoods.

He's a showman and nothing more.

ivajz

How does discovery work when Executive Privilege is (potentially) a factor?
The thing is, the whole executive privilege discussion has already been dealt with in the supreme Court. Personal conversations are not executive privilege, matters of policy are. So Trump doesn't have a case. Not to mention he waved any exec. Privilege, and he talked about it to Lester holy.

Tripon

That one individual yes, but extrapolate that out to a million something people. They are trying to misinform the larger voter base to secure their vote in the future.

Even that million people doesn't matter. Shoring up your base matters because you need a strong base in order to help keep it together when you go after people in the center, such as independents and right leaning democratic votes.

But these actions don't help Trump at all except with the small and dwindling numbers that is current base.

BTW, we still haven't seen Trump deal with a natural disaster or something that will grip the nation that wasn't of his own making. It's going to be ugly when Trump shows he isn't up for the job of actually being president.

I mean they can try to tie him up in legal proceedings but, good luck with that against the former FBI head who has an incredible record and connections to top level lawyers who would be drooling at the chance to take these guys on.

Thing is, it wouldn't even really matter much. He's already met with Mueller, and handed over evidence. This might keep him off the Sunday morning shows, but I never got that impression of him anyway.

He probably wouldn't even have to pay for representation, given his rep and his contacts, and the people who hate Trump.

This is such a colossal dumb move, but in reality it's the only one they could play because they continue to be such dumb fucks.

myca77

Could Comey counter-sue for defamation? After all the lawyer did claim that he lied under oath, and that he leaked classified information IIRC.

Would be funny if he did, but looks like he's leaving the rest up to Judge Dredd.

Just so we're clear, there are idiots who think this is a huge smoking gun that proves because Comey was a leaker, it means he was the leaker.

As in he's the source of every leak against Trump. I'd be utterly unsurprising if Trump bought into this.

Even that million people doesn't matter. Shoring up your base matters because you need a strong base in order to help keep it together when you go after people in the center, such as independents and right leaning democratic votes.

But these actions don't help Trump at all except with the small and dwindling numbers that is current base.

BTW, we still haven't seen Trump deal with a natural disaster or something that will grip the nation that wasn't of his own making. It's going to be ugly when Trump shows he isn't up for the job of actually being president.

I agree mostly. I think after 2016 though it is healthy not to take anything for granted and fight back on obvious attempts at misinforming the public. I think it is foolish to assume enough people will see this as a negative against Trump, especially when there is so much right wing propaganda machines in the media.

Everyone needs to be woken up, and we can't let them keep tucking them in with lies and misinformation. And I think that a natural disaster or war is exactly what will help Trump not hurt him. Even his strike on Syria gave him a small bump.

There was a suggestion that he could get the professor to return the documents (to turn over to the committee), so we're talking about something physical. Indeed, I assume that one of the reasons the ctte asked for it back is so they can pore over it to confirm whether or not any confidential information is contained in it.

But I'd be very surprised if Comey slipped up in that regard!
I might be wrong ™, but the memos are at the FBI. They can just ask the FBI for them.

I believe he only gave his friend the memo regarding the Flynn conversation not all of them. Since some of them deal with classified information.

Pbae

Just so we're clear, there are idiots who think this is a huge smoking gun that proves because Comey was a leaker, it means he was the leaker.

As in he's the source of every leak against Trump. I'd be utterly unsurprising if Trump bought into this.

I hope he does. It would be fucking glorious. I'm imagining his base just rallying behind him in support of a unified enemy which is Comey MKII, Type IV.

McCain tried to pull this shit earlier in the testimony where he was trying to lump the Russia investigation with the Clinton one to discredit the process. So it isn't a stretch to see the GOP try and lump Comey with the "leakers" to discredit or otherwise taint Comey's side of the story.

Flousn

As an Outsider looking in (German), this whole thing really is a sight to behold.
While i most certainly have a biased opinion of all of this, it really seems like Comey could be pulling off a real-life "Masterplan" including manipulating his "opponent" by analyzing his personality, forseeing and preparing for his own firing, setting up traps etc.. Just some real-life spy-thriller-shit i never thought i would get to see unfold in real time.

I just hope Comey doesn´t pull a Sherlock Season 3 in the end and reveals that everything leading up to it was just a smart-looking facade without any real intelligent plot running in the background ;)

WaPo wrote about why Trump's reactions are quite, uh, premature to say the least.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...pt-he-didnt/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.5ff24d95535c

Reason No. 2: Comey may be a “leaker,” but it didn't turn out well for the president

Comey said he decided to take the extraordinary step to share with the New York Times his secret memos of the president's conversations because the president was so out of his lane. “I thought that might prompt the appointment of a special counsel,” Comey told senators.

Guess what? Now we have a special counsel, who has wide latitude and the FBI's resources to investigate whatever he wants under the umbrella of Trump and Russia, including any potential obstruction of justice.

Tovarisc

There’s no indication Comey violated the law. Trump may be about to.

President Trump’s declaration that the Thursday testimony of former FBI director James B. Comey was a “total and complete vindication” despite “so many false statements and lies” was the sort of brashly triumphant and loosely-grounded-in-reality statement we’ve come to expect from the commander in chief. It was news that came out a bit later, news about plans to file a complaint against Comey for a revelation he made during that Senate Intelligence Committee hearing meeting, that may end up being more damaging to the president.

CNN first reported that Trump’s outside counsel, Marc Kasowitz, plans to file complaints with the inspector general of the Justice Department and the Senate Judiciary Committee about Comey’s testimony. At issue was Comey’s revelation that he provided a memo documenting a conversation with Trump to a friend to be shared with the New York Times.

As the news broke, I was on the phone with Stephen Kohn, partner at a law firm focused on whistleblower protection. We’d been talking about where the boundaries lay for Comey in what he could and couldn’t do with the information about his conversations with the president. Kohn’s response to the story about Kasowitz, though, was visceral.

“Here is my position on that: Frivolous grandstanding,” he said. “First of all, I don’t believe the inspector general would have jurisdiction over Comey any more, because he’s no longer a federal employee.” The inspector general’s job is to investigate wrongdoing by employees of the Justice Department, of which Comey is no longer, thanks to Trump.

“But, second,” he continued, “initiating an investigation because you don’t like somebody’s testimony could be considered obstruction. And in the whistleblower context, it’s both evidence of retaliation and, under some laws, could be an adverse retaliatory act itself.”

In other words, Comey, here, is an employee who is blowing the whistle, to use the idiom, on his former boss. That boss wants to punish him for doing so. That’s problematic — especially if there’s no evidence that Comey actually violated any law that would trigger punishment.
Comey testified under oath that, following a conversation with Trump in the Oval Office, he wrote a memo documenting what was said. Last month, he provided that memo to a friend and asked that it be shared with the New York Times.

That, as described, is not illegal, Kohn said.

“Obviously you can report on a conversation with the president,” he said. “What the president does isn’t confidential or classified.” There is the principle of “executive privilege,” which protects the president’s deliberative process as he does his job. But that wouldn’t cover a conversation like the one between Comey and Trump.
Comey gave nonclassified notes about a conversation he had with the president to a friend with the express purpose of releasing that information to the media. In Kohn’s eyes, there’s nothing remotely illegal about that — making the new “frivolous grandstanding” from Kasowitz particularly problematic.

“The constitutional right to go to the press with information on matters of public concern, as long as you’re not doing it in a way that will bring out classified information,” Kohn said, “the reason why that is protected constitutionally is that the courts — including the U.S. Supreme Court — have ruled that the public has a constitutional right to hear this information.” In other words, it’s constitutionally protected speech.
Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...trump-may-be-about-to/?utm_term=.3c0f3e38652f

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Trump and his lawyer's instinct in to sue, intimidate and legally slow down people that threaten him. It served them well when he was a private citizen against other private citizens.

It is NOT going to fucking work against the former head of the FBI who no longer has a job, when Trump is the president of the United States. Trump and his lawyer are in way over their heads.

Wait the act of opening an investigation on a person cause they didn't like their testimony is considered obstruction of Justice.... Hahahahahahahhahaha. So there might be 2 charges they could soon get him on.

This surprised me after reading it too. Never knew that could be considered Obstruction.

Wait the act of opening an investigation on a person cause they didn't like their testimony is considered obstruction of Justice.... Hahahahahahahhahaha. So there might be 2 charges they could soon get him on.

This surprised me after reading it too. Never knew that could be considered Obstruction.

Basically, it can be considered obstruction, because it's an attempt to conceal matters of public interest (that do not pertain to classified information) and a potential crime by using the legal system to threaten whistleblowers into silence.

If you worked at a fast food chain that you discover puts rotten meat into their burgers, you, as a citizen, have the right to leak/speak to the press as it is a matter of public interest and a crime. If the chain tries to sue you in response, that's them attempting to silence you and conceal their wrongdoing. That's illegal.

Wilsongt

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
In case it isn't clear, this is a joke referencing one of Louise Mensch's addled fan-fiction reports where she claimed the Marshal personally informed Trump of impeachment proceedings against him. The marshal is in charge of, like, building security.

Mensch says everything is already for impeachment. It is all happening
you don't believe them?
I am making a crummy joke. I saw it on my way to work didn't read into the tweet fully. Please no one post Mensch's tweets here they are bullshit.

Oh shit, time to get all those leakers who "leaked" their encounters with other Presidents in their so called books and interviews for news articles.

I love that Trump's lawyer cannot get out of "silence Trump's sexual assault victims" mode.

Top Bottom