• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sensible rpg character designs in video games

So, in rpgs there are very....interesting character designs. And by interesting, I mean awkward as hell. And I'm talking about those designs that make you scratch your head, but we are not talking about those. We are gonna talk about character designs in rpgs that actually look sensible and something a person would actually wear. So what are these sensible character designs in video games?

Platy

Parasite Eve and Mother are the only series that I can think right now .... and some later entries on parasite eve..... =/

Capra

Shin Megami Tensei tends to have some solid, believable outfits... Under Kaneko's art direction, at least.

ZeroWil

I've always been very fond of the designs for the Golden Sun cast.

Plus the box art for The Lost Age is one of my favorites ever:

Still amazes me Smash hasn't had Isaac/Felix in its cast.

Ness from Earthbound is just a kid in a striped shirt and a hat
latest

Ironically, given how bizarre the entire game is, the designs of the main cast are all fairly normal and mundane. I guess that's probably intentional.

TI82

Banned
Basically all the characters in Front Mission 3 dress normally as you'd expect from scientists and military personnel. Even civilians dress normal.

front_missions_3_playstation_character_art.jpg

I really like the Mother character designs. Kumatora's hoodie dress looks so comfortable and cute.

a2q8DET.png

I agree that Persona and SMT tend to be pretty solid as well.

I don't know that I'd describe the costumes in Resonance of Fate as "sensible," but it had a lot of nice, appealing clothing options. I spent a lot of time changing my party's outfits:

I don't know if Valkyria Chronicles counts, since characters are in uniform, but it has nice designs as well.

Fire Emblem Echoes looks lovely:

Maybe not something you'd see in the real world, but plausible in a fantasy setting.

I almost mentioned Fire Emblem. Designs in the series are all over the place, but there are plenty of characters with attractive, believable character designs.

The standard outfits of Xenoblade Chronicles X are all sensible.

Makes sense as the game is pretty normal sci-fi for JRPG taking place only a few decades in the future of course with the addition of alien contact in a decade. You're also part of a government/military organization B.L.A.D.E.

You can get crazy with outfits or even more normal.

Fire Emblem Echoes looks lovely:

Maybe not something you'd see in the real world, but plausible in a fantasy setting.
I'm so close to agreeing with you, but Celica's boob cups though...

latest

The Batter from OFF. He is a baseball batter, and he wears a baseball uniform.

latest

The Human from UNDERTALE. They are a kid, so they wear the time-honored kid outfit of a striped shirt.

7Th

Most Pokemon designs are pretty normal, to be honest. In SM only Aether and Gladion are outlandish.

Hastati

All of the non YoRHa androids in Nier Automata look great. Anemone is super cool. I also personally like the YoRHa designs, but it's hard to call them sensible.

I really like the protagonist character designs in Valk Chronicles, they have a clean yet memorable look to them that doesn't evoke the feelings of slight revulsion I had with, say, Xenoblade 2 today.

If we are including WRPG's then the Witcher 3 had amazing and mostly sensible character designs and clothing.

Platy

I almost mentioned Fire Emblem. Designs in the series are all over the place, but there are plenty of characters with attractive, believable character designs.

Fire Emblem series has both the best and the worst character designs ever made on an rpg, SPECIALY with women in armor

Not including the sequels, this design is pretty sensible.

Excessive Belts
Pointless shoulder armor
Crop top turtle neck
Sleeveless coat
A Fucking CAPE
Exposed Legs
Shoe belts because belts
Loose Satchel with pockets big enough for nothing
Skirt over shorts?

Nothing about this is Sensible

Excessive Belts
Pointless shoulder armor
Crop top turtle neck
Sleeveless coat
A Fucking CAPE
Exposed Legs
Shoe belts because belts
Skirt over shorts?

Lost my shit right about here. Thanks Stalker.

LotusHD

Banned
Excessive Belts
Pointless shoulder armor
Crop top turtle neck
Sleeveless coat
A Fucking CAPE
Exposed Legs
Shoe belts because belts
Skirt over shorts?

i was trying to be nice about it, but you just went all in lmao

(Is this thread a reaction against Xenoblade 2?)

Anyway, I offer up Tiz from Bravely Default.

tumblr_ojjsp3FXLc1vjufuqo1_500.jpg

I love this design. Simple but looks great for adventuring. He's even got a pack and a water bottle with him.

Keinning

Was about to mention persona but then i remembered persona 4 exists

I mean, uniforms exist for a reason but no one in the group actually follows dress code at all. I guess they really want to show they're main characters and not NPCs but its still weird how blatantly different their outfits are without anyone giving a fuck

HeelPower

Excessive Belts
Pointless shoulder armor
Crop top turtle neck
Sleeveless coat
A Fucking CAPE
Exposed Legs
Shoe belts because belts
Skirt over shorts?

Its not pointless armor.Its insignia indicating her rank much like what real soldiers would have on thier shoulders.(I am blanking on what its called.)

mortal

Gold Member
The problem with threads like this is that people equate 'sensible' to normal or most familiar, instead of how well a design embodies that games' world or art direction.

So you end of seeing a bunch of characters designs with casual modern clothing, which isn't necessarily wrong, just something I notice.

LotusHD

Banned
The problem with threads like this is that people equate 'sensible' to normal or most familiar, instead of how well in embodies that games' world or art direction.

So you end of seeing a bunch of characters designs with casual modern clothing, which isn't necessarily wrong, just something I notice.

Well that is more or less what the OP asked for lol

Its not pointless armor.Its insignia indicating her rank much like what real soldiers would have on thier shoulders.(I am blanking on what its called.)

It's pointless because it serves no purpose as armor. Is that one shoulder under lots of threat? If you have time to hit here shoulder aim slightly lower at that huge exposed arm or those legs with zero protection. There's an in universe reason for plenty of things but it doesn't make Tidus's Bliztball clothing or Barret's Steel Corset any more sensible

Top Bottom