• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sensible rpg character designs in video games

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Not including the sequels, this design is pretty sensible.

Wearing short shorts into combat?

The problem with threads like this is that people equate 'sensible' to normal or most familiar, instead of how well in embodies that games' world or art direction.

"Would the character actually wear this?" is a good rule of thumb for me. In Tales of Berseria, I can buy that Magilou would wear something like this:

But I absolutely can't believe that Velvet would choose to wear this (or that she wouldn't change to escape detection):

I enjoy theatrical character designs, but not when they don't fit the character or the world.

Keinning

It's kind of cheating but P5 is a jRPG , and this is sensible and cool

tumblr_oc0kzk0y8N1u9bntwo1_400.jpg

but then in dungeons ann ends up with a catsuit (something explained by the game but that doesn't make sense regarding the character and her motivations) and p5 stops being sensible again

persona 3 had it best during the beginning, before they threw all off the window and introduced the dog, the kid and the robot

kevm3

I don't know what happened in the 2000s to where Japanese designers felt like they need to attach 10,000 accessories to characters. Their 90s designs were simple but very cool.

Looking at this box art just makes me want to play this game
4852_back.jpg

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/glenncxu42.jpg[/IMG]

I think Glenn from Chrono Cross is a nice middle-ground between JRPG/Anime bulllshit and something a warrior would wear.

Fire Emblem Echoes looks lovely:

Maybe not something you'd see in the real world, but plausible in a fantasy setting.

I'll second this. The character design is really wonderful. It's clearly fantasy, but it's not excessive like other series are.

If we're including tactical RPGs, The Banner Saga has mostly (all?) sensible designs.

HeelPower

It's pointless because it serves no purpose as armor. Is that one shoulder under lots of threat? If you have time to hit here shoulder aim slightly lower at that huge exposed arm or those legs with zero protection. There's an in universe reason for plenty of things but it doesn't make Tidus's Bliztball clothing or Barret's Steel Corset any more sensible

Its not armor man.Its a decorative piece indicating rank.

Mik317

why do designs have to be sensible? one of the cooler parts of design is doing things that normally would be difficult to pull off in reality. As long as it works in universe and fits the character (personality and in universe role) its fine. People often go "oh why is so and so's arms vulnerable" in worlds in which so and so can teleport and tank swords to the face.

that being said...some cool ass designs in here tho

TheBlueGardenia

Neo Member
I don't know what happened in the 2000s to where Japanese designers felt like they need to attach 10,000 accessories to characters. Their 90s designs were simple but very cool.

Agreed. Lunar was exactly the first game that came to my mind. Then River City Ransom.

ebc05_lemina_1024_.jpg

Lunar has quite a few sensible designs but I think Lemina's from Lunar 2 is especially so if you're looking for an outfit you could go into the store and buy today that still fits well with the character and world. No nonsense. She's just a teenage girl in a magic guild who wasn't expecting to get swept up in an adventure to save Lunar.

"Would the character actually wear this?" is a good rule of thumb for me. In Tales of Berseria, I can buy that Magilou would wear something like this:

But that isn't what the word sensible means (practical and functional rather than decorative). Nor is it what the original poster requested. Also, is that character a renegade court jester that uses a book holster to wield tomes like some kind of magic slinging cowboy?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

But I absolutely can't believe that Velvet would choose to wear this (or that she wouldn't change to escape detection):

I enjoy theatrical character designs, but not when they don't fit the character or the world.
I played the whole game with Velvet in her villager outfit because wow. That outfit. It was always jarring when she was in skits.

Also Kamoana's design was incredibly creepy.

but then in dungeons ann ends up with a catsuit (something explained by the game but that doesn't make sense regarding the character and her motivations) and p5 stops being sensible again

persona 3 had it best during the beginning, before they threw all off the window and introduced the dog, the kid and the robot

Watch your tongue boy.

Aigis is a goddess.

Nottle

All the persona games the characters wear outfits that are normal clothing, though the heart boobs Maya has in 2 aren't very realistic for business wear.

Valkyria Chronicles has soldier uniforms that aren't completely stupid.

Xenogears the characters wear normal clothes, unless they are from the sky or royalty.

Mephala

On mobile, might throw some pics later.

Ramza and others - Final Fantasy Tactics
Denim and others - Tactics Ogre
Yuri & Flynn - Tales of Vesperia, you could argue Raven too.
Vyse - Skies of Arcadia
Valkyrie Profile has some that seem sensible enough.

vaporeon

Lots of things posted here are...the opposite of sensible to me, lmao. Most are cool, but I wouldn't call them "sensible."

Naminé for me.
myWbxTp.png

Jameson

(Is this thread a reaction against Xenoblade 2?)

Anyway, I offer up Tiz from Bravely Default.

tumblr_ojjsp3FXLc1vjufuqo1_500.jpg

I love this design. Simple but looks great for adventuring. He's even got a pack and a water bottle with him.

I totally agree with you. Tiz in bravely default design was great, in the second game though he lost all his style...

redcrayon

I'll second this. The character design is really wonderful. It's clearly fantasy, but it's not excessive like other series are.

If we're including tactical RPGs, The Banner Saga has mostly (all?) sensible designs.
I like most of FE Echoes design, apart from Celica's weird shoulder plate 'armour', that looks awkward and offers little protection, it's just inviting a weapon to cut into her shoulder and neck.

why do designs have to be sensible? one of the cooler parts of design is doing things that normally would be difficult to pull off in reality. As long as it works in universe and fits the character (personality and in universe role) its fine. People often go "oh why is so and so's arms vulnerable" in worlds in which so and so can teleport and tank swords to the face.

that being said...some cool ass designs in here tho

It's more that it stands out as a uniquely, particularly useless bit of costume when Alm and the other fighters are wearing full plate. It's only purpose is to show off her shoulders, which seems a bit odd for a warrior priestess, but then FE is a series where knights wear shoulder/head armour that look like toilets in Awakening, so not that surprising really. Plenty of fantasy elements in FE costume design, I just thought that, as a main element of a lead character, it looked a bit impractical next to the otherwise reasonable down-to-earth armour on Alm.

redcrayon

While I'm talking about FE, I've always thought this is really cohesive design for a fantastical character. The surcoat, tabard, axe haft and hair all work to show off her height, and the flowing, simple elements of her clothes are strong and reminiscent of chivalric knights, which suits Titania's character and background. She's feminine but that's not the main character trait, which is that she's an ex-knight, an experienced warrior and one of the most reliable and capable members of the group. I like the simple detail of the lacing on her surcoat, which hints at medieval female attire while stilll remaining knightly. Lovely stuff. There are hundreds of FE characters, some much better than others, but this is one of my favourite designs because it suits the character in multiple ways.

Durante

I've always particularly enjoyed some of the character designs in the Arland trilogy.

What's unique about them is that they are not outlandish or garish, but still very unique and not at all boring. Esty's design there in particular is one of my all-time favourites.

Rad-

OP says rpgs but I guess he means jrpgs? Most wrpgs have pretty sensible character designs. Jrpg wise I think many Suikoden series designs are pretty sensible.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Golden Sun's designs always looked rad.

Persona 3/4/5's designs atleast all felt cohesive with the aesthetic.

Same with most of the Bravely Default costumes (with some... less than ideal exceptions)

Uhhh yeah it does make sense why she's in a catsuit actually. Her social link does say
she was into anime heroines and she wants to be a model. She also has sexy pose as one of her abilities. Plus, she's a gamer. Who knows.. maybe her characters in game looked like that?

Wazzy

Banned
I would say most of Final Fantasy VIII's cast, especially Rinoa, Selphie and Squall.

I also would say Parasite Eve and Front Mission 3.

redcrayon

OP says rpgs but I guess he means jrpgs? Most wrpgs have pretty sensible character designs. Jrpg wise I think many Suikoden series designs are pretty sensible.
I think WRPGs might have sensible character designs as a whole, but the armour is just as likely to be ridiculously impractical.

It's a subjective thing really, the whole practicality vs fantasy debate. I've never been a fan of 'combat lingerie' or armour with huge shoulder pads or random spikes that block vision or looks like you can't move freely in it etc, not because its skimpy or silly, but because it just looks impractical. That said, there can be a fine line between characters that look bloody awesome and unique and those that look awful. I'd be a terrible character designer as all my adventurers would like ready for hiking and fighting with proper scabbards for their weapons etc rather than a fashion show with outfits held together with belts and tape. I suspect my idea of what looks good is just boring whereas spectacle and memorable outfits is often part of the artist's brief.

Top Bottom