• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious question about YouTuber Jimquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

"The Nazi stuff addressed?"

Watch his videos if you don't know enough about him and let us know if he's a Nazi.

Cmon man it's satire of being a dictator if anything.

Okay, thanks to those that answered my question. I didn't understand that it was satire/parody. Mods, feel free to close this thread. It's already gone to shit.

Reading through some of these responses is exhausting. You guys don't have to take it from zero to sixty so fast. It was an honest question.

bomblord1

Banned
I really dont' like him but you're reaching here OP. Even if it is Nazi symbols it's used for comedic effect to contrast the content which is on the exact opposite side of the political spectrum of nazism.

His stuff is really more Soviet Russia though than Nazi.

I was pretty clear in my opening post that I didn't know much about him and that it was a serious question. Rather than telling me to lighten up, you could just teach me so I can learn.
People have already taught you, but you ignored all those posts and posted again while you think is a Nazi theme

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what Jim's idea was for it was but I never got a Nazi vibe from it and the show certainly has nothing to do with Nazis.

Powwa

I was pretty clear in my opening post that I didn't know much about him and that it was a serious question. Rather than telling me to lighten up, you could just teach me so I can learn.

Or you know, you could make a little research before jumping to conclusion and make a thread about it. How about that?

Vimes

yes, I believe it was this.

It's weird as well, because his opinions are usually very far removed from the mobbery of stuff like gamergate, the "alt-right" etc.

Pretty sure it's a remnant of a time before.

Long time Jim fan, but I'd admit the motif isn't as funny as it used to be given the current climate. I don't blame anyone watching the Jimquisition for the first time being weirded out by it.

That said, he still sells it in a lighthearted enough manner that it hasn't started bothering me. It comes close enough to V for Vendetta and Killzone that it doesn't read as "nazi" to me.

Lot of folks "just asking questions" about this subject after the BotW review...

redcrayon

• Fighter jets, paratroopers and tanks at the start of his videos
  • Japanese "rising sun" flag motif in the background
  • Black red and white color scheme
  • Address his audience at a podium with a symbol very similar to this behind him

No one thinks any of these symbols resemble Nazis...?
The art style is closer to communist propaganda than Nazi stuff to me, it's a parody that's supposed to be evocative of various 20th century dictators. It's a running joke, he signs off with a distinctly tongue-in-cheek 'thank god for me'. This seems to be obvious to virtually everyone else.

hodgy100

Okay, thanks to those that answered my question. I didn't understand that it was satire/parody. Mods, feel free to close this thread. It's already gone to shit.

Reading through some of these responses is exhausting. You guys don't have to take it from zero to sixty so fast. It was an honest question.

I think some are just annoyed that you seemingly made no attempt to find out for yourself, instead relying on 2nd hand information when you could have just watched a couple of videos and discovered it for yourself.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
He's a queer liberal dude using a dictatorial persona for some goofs. The reason he doesn't get flack for it is because everyone's in on the joke and he doesn't poison the well with "ironic" Nazi humour.

The red and black also draws upon the Spanish Inquisition, hence the name.

Peroroncino

He really likes V for Vendetta

v-for-vendetta-comic-vs-film-20060317045305808-000.jpg

Yup, this.

oneils

Is English your second language? If not, watch a few of the videos. It should be obvious that he is parodizing dictators. I can see that the satire/parody might not be so obvious if English is your second or third language though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
May I suggest that the weird military dictatorship imagery might conceivably work as parody, but having the dude stand behind an ever-growing wall of 80s plastic garbage undermines it. Like, there is not an aesthetic (besides, maybe, "man who makes his living on YouTube yelling about how costume DLC is worse than slavery") that combines the stark, brutal, clean, and bright aesthetic of a military dictator with the cluttered garbage aesthetic of a 75 year old grandmother.

Is this an ironic sendup of 80s kitsch, and ironic sendup of dictators, or both, or is the 80s kitsch stuff sincere but the dictator stuff is a sendup, or vice versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom