• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously, where are the system colors for 3DS XL in America?

Grief.exe

I know if I was shelling out $200 for an XL, I'd want to be satisfied with the color and actually feel good about my purchase. I haven't bought an XL yet since there is not a black one available.

This is exactly how I feel. If I'm going to be spending money on a company's product, I'm going to be perfectly satisfied.

Unless the barrier to entry is low enough to outweigh the problems I would have with the product.

Next month I'm planning on picking up my 3DSXL hoping that the Fire Emblem or Mario Kart 7 bundle is still going on (actually could someone plz tell me how long those bundle's last till). I can't avoid a $200 system that comes with a free game. Something that I do hate with you is the colors. Holy crap all these colors are way to bright and colorful for me. Most of the handheld systems i have are dark colors a cobalt/black DS Lite, a dark blue regular DS, a gray GBA, and a regular black Vita. It's going to look so bad to pull out a bright blue or red handheld, but it's something I'll have to sacrifice.

It's not a system breaking problem for me or anything but it is quite noticeable.

Btw you mentioned them looking like makeup kits, I never looked at them that way and now that's all I see them as lol.

Fire Emblem bundle is a regular 3DS, not XL.

T-Matt

One color that's okay, especially when I'm playing something Mario related (red), and one that's just bland/ugly (blue)

Like I said, they announce white, it's day zero for me

I really like the blue in person, it has a dark metallic character to the color. But I agree the more colors available the better.

goomba

Banned
I got a silver one (New Zealand) , I would have preferred red but they were sold out at the time of a discount.

Ricky 7

Why is green always neglected in the gaming world? Whenever a green variation of a console does come out it's always at the end of the consoles life span which kind of makes it irrelevant.

Lulubop

Bestbuy had them for like 170 last week, I was really tempted due to Fire Emblem but these colors. I really wish they'd bring the White Super Mario 3D Land bundle over.

Magpul

Banned
I have a blue/black and am not really a fan of the color. Thanks for the post about the black aluminum case on the first page, went ahead and picked one up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The improvements made to the hardware and design of the XL FAR outweigh the shitty color options, but I can sympathize for sure. I wasn't happy with my Blue choice initially, but really it's a small price to pay given how absolutely substantial the other aspects of the hardware have been over the shitshow that was the OG 3DS.

I've not been really bothered by the color of my machine for months now, but it also never even leaves my nightstand anyway.

Tobor

I thought we grew past this fucking argument that colorfull products are for kids, like, 15 years ago.
The world moved on and the design trend of applying bright colors on ALL types of products has been a popular thing for a long time now.

ipod-nano-colors.jpg

^ The general public doesnt consider these products toys. We are not in the 90s anymore.

Hey, you know what's just to the right in that picture? A fucking black iPod, because Apple isn't so stupid as to not offer a neutral color as well. Same with the coffeemakers and everything else.

Nintendo can and should release the XL in every color under the sun, that's awesome, but black and white should be there first. Consumer electronics 101.

It's especially maddening, because they usually get this right. The Wii U, black and white day 1. The 3DS, black was there day 1, alongside that stupid aqua blue. Why is the XL being handled so stupidly?

Alex

I have a blue one, color is fine

Issue is the system itself looks extremely plain and cheap. More colors would help but not really solve the issue.

Original 3DS had nice, inspired aesthetics. Lots of subtleties. But the XL is SO much better functionally that you just have to get over it, at least that's how it is for me.

Top Bottom