• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

Loud fans aside, anybody else's Pro make a lot of heat expansion noises? I'm talking about those cracks/cricks/pops that were all too common with the PS3 slim systems. My two-week old Destiny 2 system's been doing it semi-regularly and it's been a bit distracting.

cripterion

I suggest anyone who says they have a quiet system to dl the NBA2K18 demo (The Prelude) on their system and report.

The game drives my console insane, even my pc with fans ramped up to the max doesn't make that much noise. It's crazy.

My launch ps4 was horrendously loud playing uncharted 4 so much t I couldn't play it when my son was in bed as it would wake him.

Is just a gentle hum on the pro when on the title screen and almost inaudible in game.

Horizon is the same loud map /title screen near silent the rest of the time.

I do think guerilla patched it though to lock the frame rates in the map.

The only game where my pro gets really loud is rocket league which was another that was unbearable on the launch unit for me.
My experience is similar. DOOM on my OG PS4 was loud as hell, and I'm not talking about Mick Gordon's masterful score.

Last night I was playing UC4 and I was surprised at how little noise there is with that game.

I suggest anyone who says they have a quiet system to dl the NBA2K18 demo (The Prelude) on their system and report.

The game drives my console insane, even my pc with fans ramped up to the max doesn't make that much noise. It's crazy.
Yup. I just stopped playing because the amount of noise is crazy. First time I've nopped on a game because of the amount of noise made by the fans.

2K18 has been the only game where my Pro sounds like it's about to explode.

I tried disabling usb charging while in rest mode and it didn't work.

The ps4 pro is so loud during rest mode and hot too.

I'm completely turning it off now, so damn annoying.

Melchiah

I just played The Last of Us on the Pro, and it appears to suffer from the same issue of being noisy in the menu as other games. That's why I'm using the photo mode to pause the game instead.

Personally, I just got a Pro and it's whisper quiet on Rocket League (I know, I know) when my White Destiny was going insane. The menus drove it nuts for some reason, but all is perfect on the Pro. Will report with other games. Anyone have experience with either Uncharted 4 or Horizon being loud?

One thing, though, is that it seems to hang a bit if I suspend with a game open. We'll see if that goes away. The first time I tried suspend/resume with Rocket League, it actually froze the system upon turning it back on. Scary moment.

Toe-Knee

Personally, I just got a Pro and it's whisper quiet on Rocket League (I know, I know) when my White Destiny was going insane. The menus drove it nuts for some reason, but all is perfect on the Pro. Will report with other games. Anyone have experience with either Uncharted 4 or Horizon being loud?

Uncharted 4 was the fans on mine raise a little bit it's still a really side hum

Horizon used to have an unlocked frame rates on the map that made the fans a bit loud but they patched it so it doesn't happen.

Cappa

Banned
Has anyone had issues with their PS4 Pro being in rest mode and being unsually hot and fan constantly running?

For reference in my case, my PS4 is on the floor in open space and has plenty of ventilation. I know when its downloading things in rest mode it can get hot and fan working but it seems to always be doing this. My only solution is to turn the PS4 completely off.

Rellik

Has anyone had issues with their PS4 Pro being in rest mode and being unsually hot and fan constantly running?

For reference in my case, my PS4 is on the floor in open space and has plenty of ventilation. I know when its downloading things in rest mode it can get hot and fan working but it seems to always be doing this. My only solution is to turn the PS4 completely off.

It should be completely quiet in rest mode even when downloading.

Neith

Banned
Loud fans aside, anybody else's Pro make a lot of heat expansion noises? I'm talking about those cracks/cricks/pops that were all too common with the PS3 slim systems. My two-week old Destiny 2 system's been doing it semi-regularly and it's been a bit distracting.

Hmm, not at all really. I barely hear mine, but I do wear headphones. Even when not though, I sometimes take a peek at it during BF1 sessions and it seems fine to me.

Also have an SSD in there and a good one at that with very low temps. I bet that helps a tiny bit.

Neith

Banned

Interesting. Might have to try this. Could it just be a shitty bug in a demo though? I really don't need to hurt my baby.

Melon Husk

My PS3 does this, my TV does this, my PS4 does this (to a lesser degree). Seems to be a Sony "feature".

Any ideas why it wouldn't be while in rest mode?

See my post above yours, I tried everything, someone suggested turning off USB charging during rest mode and it did nothing. I gave up and now just turn the ps4 completely off.

I also tried putting foam pads under the ps4 to reduce vibration/noise but it barely helped.

We probably got a bad ps4 pro in the silicon lottery.

sw1tch

what i don t get is a lot of games have this issue where you pause the game and the pro goes off.
How come devs doesn't see this or experience the issue,can 't they see the cpu/gpu usage or something in menus??

Chronos24

The whole point of this very long post is to maybe help solve some of the mysteries we have had on the ps4. I'll start by saying yes, I was one of those guys (keyword WAS dont crucify me) after having ny launch ps4 blast into outer space would exchange their PS4 at Gamestop using their product replacement plan. Also, I was very aware of dust buildup and kept the area the PS4 was placed open and as dust free as possible. More on this later, but i also did extensive research on what how different parts were actually put in different ps4's. So, using Sony I sent that first one in for repair got back an even worse cigarrette smelling one. Sold that one, bought 1100 model from gamestop. Quality was BAD on several units ranging from bad disc drive to bad HDD to yes very loud fan noise. I fell into the "my unit is totally quiet works perfectly fine etc." Plus i think my luck was just shit. Its not like i immediately turned around and exchanged the units within a day or so i gave each one plenty of time. Eventually settled on a unit that was fine and tolerably loud. Then, the 1200 model came out with new internals and supposed quieter fan. Traded for the Destiny Taken King model and struck gold on the first one. It was quiet on everything including the big offenders of the time like TLOU and bloodborne. Super happy. THEN, the Pro hit and I had just got a Samsung Ks8500 4k so i traded for the Pro. Again, struck gold, first unit was quiet on everything including Pro patched games like FF15 and Resident Evil 7 which only made the fan kick up just a little even in VR I'd say 3/10. Non pro patched games were a 1/10 on the noise scale. Story doesnt end though, my pro as of a couple weeks ago went kaput. I suspect more because of a storm that came through over the PS4 power supply going. So, I go and exchange it thinking by now shouldnt be any issues still. Wrong, got one that immediately got very loud and hot. Exchanged that one and got one that I would even argue to say is better than the first.

Now with the story out of the way and back to what I researched with each ps4 i found several differences between each unit I got even though some were of the same model series (1000, 1100, 1200, Pro).

1. Internal hard drives were different. Some models had an HGST hard drive, some had a Samsung Seagate Spinpoint, and some had Toshiba hard drives in them. The Toshiba drive was the one that was DOA.

2. Blu Ray drive noise also differed for some reason. Some units were quiet no matter what disc and some rattled like hell no matter what. I assume it may be how they were mounted.

3. Controllers were even different. Some rumbled much harder than others but I paid the least attention to that.

4. The most important aspect and most widely known issue.. FAN NOISE. This one aspect had a few very distinct differences on noise and behavior. From deeper research i found the maker of the fan differed between Delta and Nidec. If you had a delta fan you most likely heard a sort of whistling varying pitch noise. If you had a Nidec fan you more likely heard just the whoosh of air being expelled from the unit and these fans were generally quieter. Just by listening to how that sound is will pretty much tell you which fan you have in your PS4 and that includes the Pro. The other thing I noticed which ranged from all models was the actual behavior of the fan itself. The "louder" fans seemed to vary in speed greatly depending on load and from one minute to the next go from really loud to quiet. Closing a game would immediately send a very loud fan to dead silent in seconds. Any tech savvy person knows that is bad for chips as they dont cool down immediately like that. The "quieter" fans bahaved completely different. For an initial mayne 30 minutes the fan would vary in speed but only slightly and not dependant on load also not getting near as loud. I attribute this to the nidec fan as well. After maybe 30 minutes the fan would reach a constant speed and never change either higher or lower while playing. Upon quitting out of the game back tp the dashboard, the fan would continue to spin at the same speed for roughly about 5 minutes until it would go at minimum speed. This is how I believe it should behave.

That's from my experience all i know and hope it helps you guys and let me know if anything Ive said here is similar or different to your experiences.

Toe-Knee

what i don t get is a lot of games have this issue where you pause the game and the pro goes off.
How come devs doesn't see this or experience the issue,can 't they see the cpu/gpu usage or something in menus??

Is usually because they only lock the framerate in Gameplay where it matters to feel so menus run into the hundreds and sorta to into run away.

Chronos24

Rereading my post, I want to add that when my Pro went kaput, i got curious and took the top cover off (you can do that btw with the pro without voiding the warranty) just to see how much dust actually accumulated since i had owned the unit about 10 months. Remember i was very careful in keeping the area clean and dust free as possible. It had VIRTUALLY NO DUST and I mean really, like no dust. I was pleasantly suprised for sure.

Cappa

Banned
See my post above yours, I tried everything, someone suggested turning off USB charging during rest mode and it did nothing. I gave up and now just turn the ps4 completely off.

I also tried putting foam pads under the ps4 to reduce vibration/noise but it barely helped.

We probably got a bad ps4 pro in the silicon lottery.

Ugh just saw this...... thanks for the info... sucks only solution is turning it completely off.

shpankey

not an idiot
Add mine to the list of incredibly LOUD.

I actually sold my PS4 and got this to get rid of that problem, and it (seemingly) did, for awhile. Now on certain games, it is incredibly loud and distracting. Well over my high end 7.1 audio system at normal gaming levels.

edit: seems my experience is in-line w/ everyone else.

I'm on my third replacement unit from GameStop and they've all pretty much been the same level of 'loud'. Dunno if I'll take the one I'm currently using in. Tiring and pointless boxing it up only to unbox another that's more or less the same

dealer-

I'm on my third replacement unit from GameStop and they've all pretty much been the same level of 'loud'. Dunno if I'll take the one I'm currently using in. Tiring and pointless boxing it up only to unbox another that's more or less the same

Stick with that one. Setups and acoustics obviously change perceived loudness but it's a pretty much a wash in terms of noise levels with the Pro.

Hugstable

Banned
Yakuza 0/Kiwami when not playing cutscenes gets extremely loud.

Opposite for me, it seemed like I couldn't hear the fans at all in my 100 hours spent with the game. My ps4 pro had been super quiet through all of playing that game (just got pro a few weeks ago). Now today I try Ys8 and Destiny 2 after updating to 5.0 and the fans are super loud all the time :(. Probably just normal, but always worries me when the fans are that loud, especially when I just bought it, and was "whisper" quiet during my entire time with Yukuzu 0

Nba 2k18 is ridiculously loud at certain times. Its like a jet engine, first time it happened I freaked out and closed the game and console. Thinking it might be due to dust accumulation I vaccumed the shit out of it. Game still sounds the same, ready to take off any second.

Anything the devs can do to resolve that? A patch of some sort? Heard it could be due to having the game with uncapped fps at certain points, making the fans go ape shit.

Chronos24

Ive always wondered by why in the hell won't they just cap framerates in menus? Just wondering where the benefit is there..

Kinyou

The good news is that Witcher 3 has a ps4 pro patch now, the bad news is that this means the fans ramp up way more than they used to :/

It's fortunately not too extreme but I have to if Sony would release a Silent version with an improved fan I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

My PS4 Pro is louder and hotter than my original launch PS4 ever was. Sadly, I'm switching back to Xbox for the remainder of this console gen due to this problem. Love pretty much everything about the PS4, but a console should never be this loud or hot.

Wamb0wneD

My slim does that....

Powerwing

I tried to change the Thermal paste, did not solve the problem.

Solution:

Buy thermal pad:

3rfduFo.jpg

Thermal Pad Arctic silver 14x14x1.5mm

Cut and apply:

RAM: 8 pieces of 15x15mm

Mosfet: One piece of 10x75mm

KZ1FWC9.jpg

0kgB2Ln.jpg

Before: Loud noise

After: Super silent

I was very happy with the result.

Quick question. I saw a teardown video and there are existing thermal pads. Did you ditch them or keep them in addition to the new ones ? I'll probably throw them but just to make sure ...

Had my ps4 pro from launch last year sent in and got a new back. It was quiet during Yakuza 0 and Yakuza kiwami on my 1080p tv. Now I got my Oled 4k tv and decided to boot up Uncharted 4 and holy shit haha I can't believe how loud ps4 pro is and this is only 1400p with HDR. It's not even true 4k.
How could Sony rush this so much that they forgot to cool it down properly? I'm disappointed at Sony.

My Xbox one x will come in 8 days. Will be fun to compare.

My girlfriend came out of the living room wondering what's that noise.

So there's a new ps4 pro out now called CUH-7100. Anyone have this?
https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.dualshockers.com/playstation-pro-hardware-update/amp/

Malcolm9

Mine is only loud if I keep it within my tv unit whilst it is on, so I take it out when I play games and it's pretty quiet.

B D Joe

I'm on my third pro now since launch. My latest white one is the quietest overall but none have been whisper quiet and the fans can clearly be heard across my living room on all 3 so I don't believe a whisper quiet ps4 exists. The worst noise tho is the high pitched squeal that pro enhanced games generate which I believe is what people call 'coil whine'

As much as I love the playstation brand if my xb1x is quieter when it arrives next week I'll be buying most multi platform games on that.

Got a PS4 Pro last year. Quiet on non-pro games, loud on UC4 etc.

Solved it (to a certain extent by):

1. Going digital only - the blu ray drive made a fair bit of noise.

2. Moving it on to a vertical stand and outside the TV cabinet - the fans kicked in loud due to heat, but there was also a lot of vibration.

Pain the ass really, but the graphics and HDR - WOW

CaptnBosa

Neo Member

I can't say mine has ever done that and I have a launch PS4 Pro. Although mine does get loud/annoying at times

Poppyseed

I'm on my third pro now since launch. My latest white one is the quietest overall but none have been whisper quiet and the fans can clearly be heard across my living room on all 3 so I don't believe a whisper quiet ps4 exists. The worst noise tho is the high pitched squeal that pro enhanced games generate which I believe is what people call 'coil whine'

As much as I love the playstation brand if my xb1x is quieter when it arrives next week I'll be buying most multi platform games on that.

Let's be honest - you should be buying your multi-platform games on the X anyway.

knerl

How do you know it's heat expansion? Mine is never really hot anywhere on the chassis, but I do hear some noise like you're describing. Could be vibrations from the HDD and/or fan causing it. The plastic is very prone to bending everywhere.

knerl

Let's be honest - you should be buying your multi-platform games on the X anyway.

One X is using a closed liquid cooler. It's def going to be quieter. Fuck I wish Sony went with that. Or used an external PSU and the extra space for a bigger or more fans.
I've never been so bothered by noise level from a console running taxing stuff or some not so taxing stuff as I have with the PS4 and all the models of it. If PS5 isn't much better in this department I'm done with them. I can't enjoy games when I can't hear a rather loud game volume because it's being drowned in high pitched and/or excessive fan noise. It's physically stressful at times. Can't use it in the same room as another person that isn't actively playing or watching what's running on it too since it drives them mad.
It's very possible to have a console of similar size be very quiet under full load. An insanely much more powerful gaming PC that isn't that much larger can be whisper quiet under the same conditions.

Top Bottom