• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

Mine's not that loud, it's audible for sure but not loud. I'm amazed that how much quieter my X is though in relation to it being smaller and having more powerful hardware. That no doubt comes down to the cooking method though.

small_law

Depends on the game, but unless the console's under load, mine stays pretty quiet. I've had friends complain about their Pro's though. What helps is having a lot of space behind the console for it to vent. I have mine flat on the right edge of my desk and it vents out into a clear five feet of empty space. I've also noticed that the ambient temperature of the room can make a big difference.

That being said, I've never once heard my Xbox One X fan and it's positioned the same way.

Zimmy68

I've been finishing up Rise of the Tomb Raider and had to put a weight platter on the PS4 to keep it from flying away.

ggr2k5

Neo Member
Seriously, if the sound bothers you guys that much, just pop the top cover and let more air in. It doesn't void your warrenty and its perfectly safe. Pop it back on when youre done. Its easy and require just your hand, no screwdrivers no nothing.
Nope. Does nothing.
sounds like a vacuum cleaner playing 4K games.
Tried moving it onto a bench in the middle of the room with nothing within 12 feet and the top off. Fire up a Pro Enhanced game and it goes into overdrive.
Totally drowns out a stressed Xbox One X and a PC with GTX 970.
That fan on the Pro is totally inadequate. I like the games, but
its easily the noisiest piece of electronics I've ever come across.

Toe-Knee

Nope. Does nothing.
sounds like a vacuum cleaner playing 4K games.
Tried moving it onto a bench in the middle of the room with nothing within 12 feet and the top off. Fire up a Pro Enhanced game and it goes into overdrive.
Totally drowns out a stressed Xbox One X and a PC with GTX 970.
That fan on the Pro is totally inadequate. I like the games, but
its easily the noisiest piece of electronics I've ever come across.

I would return it that's out of the ordinary. Mine is barely audible except in Google screens and the horizon map pre patch

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

You can swap it for the nidec fan which is the one that's in the quieter pros
I am going to report this based on an experience happened to me.

The fan really doesn't have much of an impact. the difference between them is almost nothing. and I will explain how I know this.

first of all let me put this clearly. I have a close friend who has his own local store. and he sell / own allot of PS4 Pros that I actually tried. ( almost all brand new ) anyway here is what happens for me to know its not really about the fan that much.

I want ( own ) 2 PS4 pros one is 4.5 ( for homebrew ). the other is for online play and new games like the rest of the normal world.

- My Homebrew (HB) console, is Nidec fan. you can barely hear the fan even during Horizon zero down at the map ( since the system is not online, the batch isn't installed )
- My White PS4 PRo destiny. its Delta fan. that console is ( was ) brand new but I decided to open it and check. fair enough. same game. same place. go to map and stay there for a while. you can hear the fan. barely louder than my nidec fan. ( again this system is on 4.70 but still no batch for the map )

so I was like, I am going to the store ( today ) and exchange my white PS4 pro with another one that is Nidec. and I did . told him to keep the white PS4 pro for a while because I needed to check the new console before we sell the white.

Anyway, I went home. turned it on. and I barely even started playing the game ( still loading the first intro where he scream her name, and the fan kicked in so loud I couldn't even hear the TV. and that was a nidec fan btw. I went to the store and exchanged it yet with ANOTHER nidec fan console ( just pop the cover and check the fan. if it has 8 squares around the center, its Nidec, if its 12 its Delta ) anyway, I went home with the second console and its very loud too.

I spent all my day today just checking this. so as a result. my Delta white PS4 pro ( I took it back ) was quitter than both Nidec fan consoles but not as quite as my HB PS4 pro ( even though I cant stress this enough, if I wasn't OCD about the sound in a mute room with a muted TV and no AC on, you wont tell the difference.

So to me, it really has nothing do with the fan as much as the Thermal paste was done badly. Either that or a bad CPU/GPU that is not functioning properly.

I did notice some coil whine in some of the consoles I tested. thankfully both of mine don't have it ( even if you put your ear next to the console's right side if its facing you ( that's where you hear it the most since the other side is just a BD drive )

So don't believe that Nidec is better than Delta or vise versa. you just need to pray for a good thermal paste. otherwise you are fucked with endless exchange till you get a good one.

Problem is if you get a console from one store and its bad,. you will have to wait for a while because ALL of the consoles the store get is usually from the same shipment from the same factory. you will need to find a different model / bundle / wait couple of weeks till they finish that shipment from the warehouse and order another. Its really a nightmare thing to keep up with.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

The fan really doesn't have much of an impact. the difference between them is almost nothing. and I will explain how I know this.

first of all let me put this clearly. I have a close friend who has his own local store. and he sell / own allot of PS4 Pros that I actually tried. ( almost all brand new ) anyway here is what happens for me to know its not really about the fan that much.

I want ( own ) 2 PS4 pros one is 4.5 ( for homebrew ). the other is for online play and new games like the rest of the normal world.

- My Homebrew (HB) console, is Nidec fan. you can barely hear the fan even during Horizon zero down at the map ( since the system is not online, the batch isn't installed )
- My White PS4 PRo destiny. its Delta fan. that console is ( was ) brand new but I decided to open it and check. fair enough. same game. same place. go to map and stay there for a while. you can hear the fan. barely louder than my nidec fan. ( again this system is on 4.70 but still no batch for the map )

so I was like, I am going to the store ( today ) and exchange my white PS4 pro with another one that is Nidec. and I did . told him to keep the white PS4 pro for a while because I needed to check the new console before we sell the white.

Anyway, I went home. turned it on. and I barely even started playing the game ( still loading the first intro where he scream her name, and the fan kicked in so loud I couldn't even hear the TV. and that was a nidec fan btw. I went to the store and exchanged it yet with ANOTHER nidec fan console ( just pop the cover and check the fan. if it has 8 squares around the center, its Nidec, if its 12 its Delta ) anyway, I went home with the second console and its very loud too.

I spend all my day today just checking this. so as a result. my Delta white PS4 pro ( I took it back ) was quitter than both Nidec fan consoles but not as quite as my HB PS4 pro ( even though I cant stress this enough, if I wasn't OCD about the sound in a mute room with a muted TV and no AC on, you wont tell the difference.

So to me. it has nothing really do with the fan as much as the Thermal paste is done badly. either that or bad CPU/GPU that is not functioning properly.

I did notice some coil whine in some of the consoles I tested. thankfully both of mine don't have it ( even if you put your ear next to the console's right side if its facing you ( that's where you hear it the most since the other side is just a BD drive )

So don't believe that Nidec is much better than Delta or vise versa. you just pray for good thermal paste. otherwise you are fucked with endless exchange till you get a good one.

Problem is if you get a console from one store and its bad,. you will have to wait for a while because ALL of the consoles the store get is usually from the same shipment from the same factory. you will need to find different model / bundle / wait couple of weeks till they finish the shipment from the warehouse and order another. Its really a nightmare thing to keep up with.

Thats unfortunate but good to know.

The bit about the stores I can vouch for as 3 of my friends got them at the same time as myself in the same store and we all have quiet ones. I haven't actually checked which fan is in mine as its barely audible so I just presumed it was the nidec going on what others have said.

//DEVIL//

I spent all my day today just checking this. so as a result. my Delta white PS4 pro ( I took it back ) was quitter than both Nidec fan consoles but not as quite as my HB PS4 pro ( even though I cant stress this enough, if I wasn't OCD about the sound in a mute room with a muted TV and no AC on, you wont tell the difference.

So to me, it really has nothing do with the fan as much as the Thermal paste was done badly. Either that or a bad CPU/GPU that is not functioning properly.

So don't believe that Nidec is better than Delta or vise versa. you just need to pray for a good thermal paste. otherwise you are fucked with endless exchange till you get a good one.

Problem is if you get a console from one store and its bad,. you will have to wait for a while because ALL of the consoles the store get is usually from the same shipment from the same factory. you will need to find a different model / bundle / wait couple of weeks till they finish that shipment from the warehouse and order another. Its really a nightmare thing to keep up with.

just to update on the status even further. I decided to open one of the black PS4 pro with Nidec fan that was very loud. I changed the thermal paste. made sure everything is perfect and it STILL was very loud.

so it came to a conclusion its really the CPU/GPU combo that is bad . because even with new thermal paste and the supposedly good fan it still made a very loud sound. .

Last edited:
I had picked up a Pro a while ago and it lasted a day. Mine was ridiculously loud. Even when it wasn’t working hard it was loud. When it WAS working hard, it sounded like a damn Dyson (a bit of an exaggeration, but it was loud as hell). I returned it and didn’t get another.

Maybe I will try again soon.

THE:MILKMAN

I had picked up a Pro a while ago and it lasted a day. Mine was ridiculously loud. Even when it wasn’t working hard it was loud. When it WAS working hard, it sounded like a damn Dyson (a bit of an exaggeration, but it was loud as hell). I returned it and didn’t get another.

Maybe I will try again soon.

It is any issue and lottery it seems....Here is my first one (the replacement seems much better but still the loudest piece of kit I've owned)

Toe-Knee

Just out it curiosity are the people with louder console living in warmer countries?

I have 7 friends with pros and only one of them is loud.

Granted he bought his later and from a different store from the rest of us. Myself and the others all got it on day one in guessing from the same shipment.

The louder one is the white destiny 2 one.

Also were all in the UK so it's never really that warm.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I live in the cold north and my PS4 Pro is only slightly louder than my Xbox One X. Even then, I use high quality headphones to get a more immersive experience when playing Single Player games.

THE:MILKMAN

Also in the UK here. Like I said the first one was ridiculous/faulty. The replacement much better but would hope Sony re-think cooling and/or console size/height for PS5 has it is still unacceptably loud IMO.

Why is Sony seemingly against giving their consoles a bit of height so they can get much more effective cooling? 4-5 inches high instead of 2-3 inches could/would make a big difference right?

The Shepard

My Ps4 Pro was silent when I brought it. After a year it was like a jet engine. Opened it up, thermal paste was still sticky, opened it further and there was a thick layer of dust covering the heat sink.

Reapplied thermal paste, cleaned it all out and now it's silent as the day I brought it. Being on monster hunter and rachet and clank today running at 4k hdr, not a sound. Monster hunter was the worst, I couldn't even play it as it was so loud and distracting. Well happy.

My mate and brother want there's doing next. Was very easy to do. I'd post picks but unsure how.

Last edited:
It is any issue and lottery it seems....Here is my first one (the replacement seems much better but still the loudest piece of kit I've owned)

Hard to tell from the video, but mine was even louder than that! I'm going to take a chance and try another one at some point soon.

toker818

Banned
just got my xbox one x off ebay deal for $360 and guess what this system is hella loud when installing xbox games just as loud as the ps4 and take forever to install a damn game

glados87

Neo Member
Oh my god this sound has reached at its max potential while playing GoW ...can console catch fires? And if so can Sony be held for it ?

Fox Mulder

I remember the Dreamcast and jet engine 360 days. I seriously don't hear a thing from my ps4 pro. I play Gran Turismo and other stuff for hours on it quietly.

Turned my pro on last night for the first time in awhile (I use my xbox daily) and the pro is quite loud!

Compared to the xbox is unacceptable tbh but I know it's not faulty just the way it is with the pros

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Mine is very quiet as well. The only game that I ever heard it and was like oh it's making noise, was Uncharted Lost Legacy.

I am pretty annoyed with dust so I clean everything least once a week and it seems the pro and slim design can get pretty dusty quite quick depending on the household.

ODESZA

My 2016 model is whisper quiet. It sits on a monitor/laptop stand that has airflow though.

Last edited:

Meted

The issue, at least for me is tied to the frame rate, find a game that lets you limit the frame rate/Vsync (Divinity original sin/ Rainbow six siege) and turn that option on/off. The fan will instantly go to normal speed or the other way depending on what setting is on. Seems to be that the Ps4 pro can't candle unlimited frame rate or possibly can't handle playing at a certain frame rate, explains why some games are fine until a cut scene pops up and the fan goes nuts.

Hope this helps, sorry if it has been already stated in the last 30 pages.

CyberChulo

I got a 500 million PS4 Pro and that thing is dead silent. No matter what game I put in, I don't hear a thing! The most offensive games that I remember were Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War. Sometimes I wonder if the thing is going to overheat because I don't hear any fan noise.

My PS4 pro sounds like a fucking turned on vacuum next to my head, the reason being once thermal paste gets old inside the system and the thermal pads wear out the system just heats up from lack of heat dissipation. People having a wank over their luckily quiet system probably have benefits from several factors including rolling some luck with the assembly job done at Foxconn be it more thermal paste, better placement, no bubbles, they don't live in a hot environment all year round like some do and so on, they also may have got lucky with the fan inside the system what shits me in this thread is people thinking because their system doesn't make sound that people who do have a loud system are doing something wrong. I mean how fucking dense can you get people don't choose this shit.

Best bet is, if you have a loud system, crack it open, replace the thermal pads and thermal paste and reassemble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom