• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkantoto: DeNA and Nintendo join press conference at 5PM JST

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Honestly, it sounds like Iwata's mentioned plan.

If unified account system comes out of this It would be awesome... just hope it integrates current eshops...

This is the future. Mobile specific apps and games are fine, butif they want to keep selling hardware and the hardware has to become more compelling

Nanashrew

Banned
so are we panicking or not.

I have my paper bag ready and everything....

Sounds like Nintendo is just allowing their IPs to be used in games while leveraging business in hopes that people will buy more 3DS and Wii U's for premium experiences.

Dr. Buni

That will never happen. If anything it'll help strengthen Nintendo's core business.
You can't say that. If mobile games sell more, what makes you think Nintendo will not shift their resources fully to mobile games?

Though that is the least of my "worries" atm.

OranSky

Banned
Let it be know that on this day meny bets where lost, meny hats where eaten. I swear from here on out there won't be a damn thing nintendo could possibly do to surprise me...

xaszatm

Banned
OK, reading the document, it seems that the games will be Smartphone specific games and they will not just wholesale port over Wii U or 3DS games. That is good. A true way for this partnership will fail is if they believe they can be lazy in all this. Nintendo needs to create games that fit the smartphone playstyle. Not necessarily free-to-play or pay-to-play, but recognizing that smartphone gaming has some differences from console or portable gaming.

And I do apologize for my suicidal tendencies but I'm currently in a really bad position in my life and this just isn't helping.

spekkeh

Banned
My family just stole my entire fortune from me. This just makes my already unstable emotions worse. Trust me, if I do decide to off myself, it won't be for this. It'll be because I just lost everything I've ever worked for.
See it as NG+

MormaPope

Banned
ItHasBegun.gif

This is pretty interesting news at the very least, honestly glad Nintendo is branching out or experimenting like this.

Sounds like Nintendo is just allowing their IPs to be used in games while leveraging business in hopes that people will buy more 3DS and Wii U's for premium experiences.

I'm not seeing how they get from point A to B in that scenario. You start giving people mobile games for F2P or a buck or two and expect them to jump into spending hundreds of dollars for dedicated games hardware and $20-50 for single games? It might open them up to a new audience but I'm not so sure how much they can expect that to overlap.

evanmisha

My guess is that one or more of Miyamoto's tech demos from this past E3 will end up on such a service. I'm thinking the one with the security cameras specifically.

Cipherr

It's a huge win for gamers and Nintendo. Quality mobile games and more money flowing to Nintendo. Win win!

Quality? Im not sure why I should think that. People are saying it won't be Nintendo developing the mobile games. So why expect EAD/Retro/NST quality at all? Sounds like Nintendo IP skins on the already drab ass mobile stuff thats out there.

The part I don't really understand is why they need DeNA to produce mobile apps.

Seemingly because they still have no interest in making phone games. Farm it out to some other company that already does that. Let them use Nintendo skins and profit? I mean I guess thats a way to get the idiots off your back clamoring for mobile, but this doesn't mean good games for mobile at all.

AdanVC

They will also launch the new amiibo line wich is ONLY compatible with Smarthphones. BOOOOOOOOM sold out in 1 second.

If the games are good, who cares? Platform fanboyism needs to go away.

Mobile vs classic is a case in which platform fanboyism makes sense, they are seriously different. What if Nintendo switched completely to books? And they'd be good books? Is it hard to see why someone would not like this?

Partition

Banned
Well, this isn't certainly helping my unstable suicidal tendencies. Can't wait for the smug people to come out of the woodwork and scream how doomed Nintendo is. Fuck. Maybe I should just off myself. Doesn't seem like nothing in my life is going positive right now.

sis

You can't say that. If mobile games sell more, what makes you think Nintendo will not shift their resources fully to mobile games?

Though that is the least of my "worries" atm.
Nintendo's handhelds selling more never stopped them from making consoles. As long as Nintendo is profitable they'll do what they want.

Sandfox

I'm not seeing how they get from point A to B in that scenario. You start giving people mobile games for F2P or a buck or two and expect them to jump into spending hundreds of dollars for dedicated games hardware and $20-50 for single games? It might open them up to a new audience but I'm not so sure how much they can expect that to overlap.

Getting people more interested in the IPs I guess.

Yesterday: "Nintendo going mobile will never happen. It just makes no sense"
Today: "Wut?"
Tomorrow: "This is a smart move by Nintendo. Makes perfect sense"

xaszatm

Banned
The part I don't really understand is why they need DeNA to produce mobile apps.

DeNA is making the games, not Nintendo. It's just how Nintendo does things. It likes to give others its IPs and direct them on how it will work rather than doing everything by itself. Nintendo is still focusing on 3DS and Wii U games.

Nanashrew

Banned

That's just what 'I'm getting from it. I'm sure the conference will provide more information and slides, maybe game announcements too.

sirronoh

It's a huge win for gamers and Nintendo. Quality mobile games and more money flowing to Nintendo. Win win!

That depends on how you define "quality".

If you assume that just because Nintendo themselves make quality console and handheld titles -- therefore Dena will make the same level of quality games for smart phones because they are using Nintendo IP -- well then that's a huge and completely unsupported assumption.

We'll have to see what reality brings a year from now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DeNA is making the games, not Nintendo. It's just how Nintendo does things. It likes to give others its IPs and direct them on how it will work rather than doing everything by itself. Nintendo is still focusing on 3DS and Wii U games.

It says joint development. Unless you have some inside info, it doesn't sound like what you're saying.

Sou

DeNA is effectively ceasing creative control of it's internal gaming operations to Nintendo, while Nintendo gets a way to release "Nintendo themed" games under a non Nintendo brand to a non Nintendo audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom