• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkantoto: DeNA and Nintendo join press conference at 5PM JST

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoaThief

I think I'm going to throw up

Well, this isn't certainly helping my unstable suicidal tendencies. Can't wait for the smug people to come out of the woodwork and scream how doomed Nintendo is. Fuck. Maybe I should just off myself. Doesn't seem like nothing in my life is going positive right now.

I need to ly down

What is happening in this thread? It's by and large a game company. Maybe if you were facing redundancy due to the news or something...

Good grief.

Indeed.

Well, this isn't certainly helping my unstable suicidal tendencies. Can't wait for the smug people to come out of the woodwork and scream how doomed Nintendo is. Fuck. Maybe I should just off myself. Doesn't seem like nothing in my life is going positive right now.

Dude, seriously. Please get help. It's just a video game company. There are so many more important things than fucking video games.

Who cares if Nintendo are doomed?

I really hope this is just someone trolling.

I think that Nintendo trying to have a presence downmarket, in the mobile gaming space, is probably a good idea. Of course, it's something that should be handled delicately, too, as they run the risk of really devaluing their IPs. But I imagine that they'll do a good job of differentiating between the experiences consumers can expect across devices. Just like how there are some Nintendo IPs that are fundamentally handheld and some that are fundamentally console, there will now be some that are fundamentally "mobile." They should be very careful, however, not to give too much to the mobile side, because they could make it so that no one feels the need to every buy a new Nintendo console (not like that's much worse than the current state of the WiiU).

Air

Banned
Interesting news. Wondering what iwata will do to not dilute the brand. Done right this could make them a massive amount of money. Done wrong it could cause long term damage to the company.

Instro

I don't think they will, but I really feel like this would be the moment for Nintendo to develop and market a good mobile controller. Big name brand recognition in an underserved market.

More or less I'm expecting software leveraging their IPs in new and existing mobile game types. I don't think they will do much straight porting without a good controller.

Opiate

Interesting news. Wondering what iwata will do to not dilute the brand. Done right this could make them a massive amount of money. Done wrong it could cause long term damage to the company.

The issue is that sitting still was such a terrible strategy that they had to move in some direction. It isn't just that Nintendo is doing poorly in the traditional console space -- although that is clearly true -- it's that the console space is contracting worldwide, and significantly so in their home country of Japan. It meant that even if they managed to win next generation (hardly a sure thing), they would be winning a piece of a smaller pie than they won with the Wii.

I'm not at all convinced yet that this is the right move, but they had to move somehow.

You sure about that, sir?

Perhaps you mean you hope they are, or just being over-dramatic. I would rather that than someone actually in danger.

Thanks mate, edited.

Of course I don't want anyone in any form of suicidal distress, especially not over something so trivial as video games.

Sorry to get off topic but if anyone feels that way, then here are a couple of contacts:

UK Samaritans: 08457909090
US Suicide Prevention : 1-800 273 TALK
AUS: 1300 651 251

Zinthar

Well now I'm feeling really stupid that I hadn't bought stock earlier this year when I was considering it...

Anyway, a smart, if inevitable, move by Nintendo. I think there's some room for premium-priced (or at least $20+) mobile experiences and I hope they're successful with that, if they choose that route.

The issue is that sitting still was such a terrible strategy that they had to move in some direction. It isn't just that Nintendo is doing poorly in the traditional console space -- although that is clearly true -- it's that the console space is contracting worldwide, and significantly so in their home country of Japan. It meant that even if they managed to win next generation (hardly a sure thing), they would be winning a piece of a smaller pie than they won with the Wii.

I'm not at all convinced yet that this is the right move, but they had to move somehow.

Absolutely. Anyone saying that Nintendo should never enter the mobile space was ignoring how much of the entire gaming market was living there. A lot of Wii players from last gen are now mobile players. Last gen, Nintendo knew to aim down market and it worked big. If they can do it again, it could very easily rocket the company.

As hesitant as I was of Nintendo going in to mobile, as long as they keep it to mobile-oriented titles and not just copy pastes of the games they have/are making for their dedicated systems then this seems like a great strategy. Use the mobile games to get into the minds of a market you've completely been missing for a long time, and maybe get a boatload of money off them in the process. I think just having a presence in people's minds is the even bigger factor though, as when those younger people grow up they'll have had past experiences with Nintendo like a lot of the current older generation has and, as a result, they'll be more inclined to check out Nintendo games for themselves or family/friends in the future. It's a bit weird, but nostalgia still is a pretty powerful selling force, so as long as these games turn out moderately successful/fun, then Nintendo can count on at least some of the people in the long term future wanting to buy their new system/games when they wouldn't have otherwise.

Air

Banned

Yes, you are correct. They were definitely facing a sea of change and their sticking to their old ways did not work at all. With them taking this risk they have the ability to reposition themselves as power players. Really this is them taking their concept of (do something new) to a whole new level.

As far as it being the right or wrong move, I'm in agreement with you on that too. I think the success of this will depend on the level of depth in these games as opposed to the ones that will be on their own systems and interplay between all the platforms they're working on. I don't know if it's smart to continue splitting their man power between so many platforms, but if they can deliver a creative, addictive and cheap (both in terms of consumer cost and production cost) experience, than they'll be fine. I would imagine that's a piece of what the NX platform is supposed to do. I think this is a very delicate situation for them- they're essentially walking through a minefield.

At the very least it's exciting.

Lunar15

I don't really think that proliferation of Nintendo's IP is a bad thing, as long as the quality of their core games remains high.

I feel like a lot of the same people freaking out about milking franchises are the same people buying Amiibos, which I find slightly ironic.

I'm not an investor, nor do I work for Nintendo. I don't really care about their business as much as I do just enjoy playing games that their designers make. I'll go elsewhere if the quality drops, but if they stay consistent, it's no big deal that they want to extend the IP to other mediums for different demographics.

I think it's a great opportunity. I have faith Nintendo won't do what Sega did. When Sega went third party, everything turned to directionless shit. The first year afterward was OK but only thanks to those games being ports of cancelled Dreamcast games.

Nintendo seems to have a vision and direction with what they're doing. Here's hoping that they don't half ass it or foul it up. It's supposed to be reinvested into their consoles/handhelds.

Piccoro

I slept before the conference began, what happened ? the OP hasn't updated

What happened?
To sum it up, this is Iwata's HQ next year:
75215-breaking-bad-bed-of-money-gif-vdla.gif

The Lamp

Um, holy shit?

You need help.

GeeDuhb

This is the smartest thing they could have done. The small mobile games will sink their hooks into people and draw them in to buying a console. It is essentially expanding their PR presence, which is severely needed at this point. Especially when they will have stuff about being able to link your account and unlock things in the mobile game to use in the console version.

This is the smartest thing they could have done. The small mobile games will sink their hooks into people and draw them in to buying a console. It is essentially expanding their PR presence, which is severely needed at this point. Especially when they will have stuff about being able to link your account and unlock things in the mobile game to use in the console version.

Anything they can do to continue to inundate people (especially kids) with their IP's will go a long way and if people can find some solid link to nintendo on something as prevalent as smartphones, nintendo will have an important new arm in bringing people to their consoles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I agree. Assuming they make quality gaming experiences, which I have no doubt they will. Even if people don't move over to the consoles, they can still make a lot of money with sensible mobile business models.

Everything Iwata said last night made a lot of sense. I really like their approach to mobile and think it's going to be successful (obviously depending on the quality of their content).

GeeDuhb

Anything they can do to continue to inundate people (especially kids) with their IP's will go a long way and if people can find some solid link to nintendo on something as prevalent as smartphones, nintendo will have an important new arm in bringing people to their consoles.

Exactly. This really is all about making Nintendo relevant again, and I think this has the potential to be huge.

I agree. Assuming they make quality gaming experiences, which I have no doubt they will. Even if people don't move over to the consoles, they can still make a lot of money with sensible mobile business models.

Everything Iwata said last night made a lot of sense. I really like their approach to mobile and think it's going to be successful (obviously depending on the quality of their content).

The bolded above is HUGE. It is another revenue stream for Nintendo. It is also great for us fans because as long as they have money coming in, they are going to continue to make Hardware and AAA games (at least for the foreseeable future.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom