• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkantoto: DeNA and Nintendo join press conference at 5PM JST

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNA

Banned
ULEegzZ.gif

Hatchtag

Banned
So, today's announcements are out of left field, I wonder how that'd effect a Nintendo Direct this month? With one every two months, this would be about the time for it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Bet you anything Apple will heavily market these Nintendo apps and games. It could be very disruptive to the market if Nintendo does really well.

Holy shit.
I want to watch the full scene.
What is the name?

As far as I can find, it's from a show/movie called "Plastic Nee-san". (Had to do an image search to find that out)

Oh it is I didn't notice the tanks on their heads. But its a show. Its just a bunch of shorts but me and my friends had some really good laughs. It was probably like less than 30 minutes though. And its where this is from as well.
wtf-japan-gif-explode-bra.gif

Click here to watch.

oti

Banned
Bet you anything Apple will heavily market these Nintendo apps and games. It could be very disruptive to the market if Nintendo does really well.

Sure, but since it's Nintendo we're talking about I can see them finding a way to avoid paying Apple money from their games. Maybe you have to purchase them from their "platform" homepage or something.

Sure, but since it's Nintendo we're talking about I can see them finding a way to avoid paying Apple money from their games. Maybe you have to purchase them from their "platform" homepage or something.

Knowing nintendo that is very likely especially considering all the legal battles they have been doing here with lets plays and the like

GWX

Is Matt Cassamassina still at Apple? He would certainly love to make a feature of Nintendo games on the App Store's front page.

18-Volt

Was Iwata that against mobile? I know the guy has previously made some silly comments, like the one about HD lol but don't remember anything about mobile.

They were strongly against going third party and making Nintendo software to appear on other consoles.

They weren' t against mobile business, they were "cosidering" to do something about that subject. Miyamoto loved Angry Birds and called it "innovative".

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Looking back over it again, I see when that guy asked why they were doing this, which they had explained in full up front, Iwata actually went back to his powerpoint and said "this is one of the slides that I used" to shame the fuck out of him. ayyyy lmao

Looking back over it again, I see when that guy asked why they were doing this, which they had explained in full up front, Iwata actually went back to his powerpoint and said "this is one of the slides that I used" to shame the fuck out of him. ayyyy lmao
Whats the time stamp on that part lol?

antonz

So do you guys think these games will have Nintendo listed as author on the app stores, or DeNA?

Seems like it would go both ways. Nintendo developed games with DeNAs experience helping guide them and DeNA games using Nintendo IPs.

seady

I am so happy Nintendo is going mobile.

Mobile game is the future whether you like it or not. Instead of complaining about mobile's touch screen isn't good for gaming, it's better to support game companies like Nintendo to make touch screen gaming a viable thing (as if it's not viable already...). Nintendo IS the company that popularized touch screen gaming with the NDS.

Most people own a smart phone these days. It's like your portable computer that's in your pocket all the time. What's better than making games on it vs. making games on a separate system? Maybe Nintendo will release cheap 1st party accessories to let you play all their games on mobile (as oppose to releasing a brand new console that's $250).

Alex

No fan of Nintendo should have been wishing for them to stay locked in their own little bubble, which despite the Wii fad (and yes, it was a fad and it's not coming back no matter how hard you blame nonsense like the name) has been significantly shrinking every passing generation. In a time when gaming is going through an upheaval and being redefined it would have been a slow, messy death to not branch out and let new generations know that they even exist while their aging fanbase continues to slowly erode.

At the same time no one should be naive enough to expect them to actually jettison their primary strengths and start dumping key software on anything and giving up their premium value and control over their own marketplace.

While I'm not surprised it happened, I'm impressed thus far how they seem to be going about it. Very forward thinking for Nintendo, even if they did massively drag their feet leading up to this point.

Nanashrew

Banned

Mobile game is the future whether you like it or not. Instead of complaining about mobile's touch screen isn't good for gaming, it's better to support game companies like Nintendo to make touch screen gaming a viable thing (as if it's not viable already...). Nintendo IS the company that popularized touch screen gaming with the NDS. Or maybe Nintendo will release cheap 1st party accessories to let you play all their games (as oppose to releasing a brand new console that's $250).

Most people own a smart phone these days. It's like your portable computer that's in your pocket all the time. What's better than making games on it vs. making games on a separate system?

No ports and Iwata emphasized that, and Nintendo is still staying in the dedicated platform business. Mobile will just be an added source of revenue with side games. Mobile will be a separate business from their dedicated stuff so you'll still have to get their premium content on their hardware.

I can't see that myself. A few years ago, Apple changed its rules about magazine subscriptions - in order for a publisher to offer a product through the App Store, if they're selling content (i.e. A magazine or sub) they have to sell it through the App Store but was free to sell that content through other channels like its own website. This meant that they couldn't offer free app through Apple and then sell content outside of the App Store.

In addition to this, under the terms of service, publishers would have to charge the same selling through App Store as it did elsewhere. So you couldn't sell the content for a much higher price through Apple only to encourage punters going to you directly.

Quite a few very large multinational companies didn't like this but had to go along with it or leave.

With in-app purchases for apps, those payments have to go through Apple - I'm sure there's no way around it. If there was, surely the likes of EA would have found it.

Maximo

Mobile game is the future whether you like it or not. Instead of complaining about mobile's touch screen isn't good for gaming, it's better to support game companies like Nintendo to make touch screen gaming a viable thing (as if it's not viable already...). Nintendo IS the company that popularized touch screen gaming with the NDS.

Most people own a smart phone these days. It's like your portable computer that's in your pocket all the time. What's better than making games on it vs. making games on a separate system? Maybe Nintendo will release cheap 1st party accessories to let you play all their games on mobile (as oppose to releasing a brand new console that's $250).

Nothing wrong with Mobile games I just wish Companies would make decent Game pads along with them and offer Controller imput, as well as changeable HUD to get rid of HUD elements that takr up huge parts of the screen. Hopefully with Nintendo now entering the Mobile Market they themselves will offer a solution.

I hope to see none of that and Iwata stated that he is against F2P and won't be doing that.

Iwata also said they wouldn't go mobile. But, well, money problems.

Really, not using exploitative mobile practices is leaving money on the table, especially when the mobile audience does not mind one bit.

Nanashrew

Banned
Iwata also said they wouldn't go mobile.

Really, not using exploitative mobile practices is leaving money on the table.

And it disgusts me that F2P is the only way to get money in that market. The mobile market is in desperate need of disruption and change from that devaluation of games that has now invaded everything as if it's the only means to survive.

antonz

Iwata also said they wouldn't go mobile. But, well, money problems.

Really, not using exploitative mobile practices is leaving money on the table, especially when the mobile audience does not mind one bit.

I don't think he is outright opposed anyways. It is more a case of used for the right game at the right time mentality. Iwata views it more as an option rather than every game needs it. I mean the 3DS has Pokemon Shuffle which is a F2P game that has a cash option.

Could you theoretically use your phone to scan Amiibos because of the NFC chip or is that not how it works? Imagine all these iPhone and android games with Amiibo support.

Koren

Mobile game is the future whether you like it or not. Instead of complaining about mobile's touch screen isn't good for gaming, it's better to support game companies like Nintendo to make touch screen gaming a viable thing (as if it's not viable already...).
It *is* a real segment of the market, but if it's the future, It would be disappointing.

Controls is only a part of it... There's only a handful of over-$5 titles that sells a lot, and virtually all of them sells because they surf on the name of a PC/Console game.

Raitaro

And it disgusts me that F2P is the only way to get money in that market. The mobile market is in desperate need of disruption and change from that devaluation of games that has now invaded everything as if it's the only means to survive.

Yep, me too. Hopefully Nintendo will be such a disruptor instead of a copy cat, which luckily for us they have been in other circumstances to be fair.

If not, I think this development might signal the end of traditional Nintendo game design based around gameplay mechanics and good controls, even if they are still making a new dedicated console.

By the way, how do their previously announced plans for QOL products factor into all of this? Did they mention this at all as part of XN or the DeNA deal?

oti

Banned
I can't see that myself. A few years ago, Apple changed its rules about magazine subscriptions - in order for a publisher to offer a product through the App Store, if they're selling content (i.e. A magazine or sub) they have to sell it through the App Store but was free to sell that content through other channels like its own website. This meant that they couldn't offer free app through Apple and then sell content outside of the App Store.

In addition to this, under the terms of service, publishers would have to charge the same selling through App Store as it did elsewhere. So you couldn't sell the content for a much higher price through Apple only to encourage punters going to you directly.

Quite a few very large multinational companies didn't like this but had to go along with it or leave.

With in-app purchases for apps, those payments have to go through Apple - I'm sure there's no way around it. If there was, surely the likes of EA would have found it.

I just bought Runtastic Gold from Runtastic's homepage. Lumosity Pro is 5€ on the App Store and 3€ on their homepage. If Nintendo were to release a free App as a hub with no IAP whatsoever, offering their content on their homepage, while a syncing process via NNID account is in place, would that go against Apple's TOS?

Edit: I also remember ComiXology doing the same thing basically, killing off all IAP.

BBboy20

Well, this isn't certainly helping my unstable suicidal tendencies. Can't wait for the smug people to come out of the woodwork and scream how doomed Nintendo is. Fuck. Maybe I should just off myself. Doesn't seem like nothing in my life is going positive right now.
That isn't funny if you are not serious.

Well, this isn't certainly helping my unstable suicidal tendencies. Can't wait for the smug people to come out of the woodwork and scream how doomed Nintendo is. Fuck. Maybe I should just off myself. Doesn't seem like nothing in my life is going positive right now.

Yoo, what?
Dont say shit like that man :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom