• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Settle this debate chicken burger or chicken sandwich?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
A grilled chicken breast between two pieces of bread-type food is a sandwich regardless of the type of bread or bun it is on. It is never a burger.

abundant

How is this even up for a debate when the definition of a burger is "a sandwich consisting of one or more cooked patties of ground meat"?

Using McDonalds examples:

McChicken = Chicken Burger
Buttermilk Crispy Chicken Sandwich = Chicken Sandwich

That's how I see it.

It is, by its own definition, a matter of preparation

Beef or chicken burger > Ground meat prepped in a patty
Steak or chicken sandwich > whole cut or Sliced meat

I don't think I've ever heard a chicken breast sandwich referred to as a burger.

I always thought the word burger would certainly imply ground meat, not simply meat between two buns.

This is how it is here regardless of what's in it. Apparently it's not the case in the US though.
I'm in the Western US, and grew up calling it a 'chicken burger'.

I think the key is that most places offer a chicken burger will give you the option of a fried chopped chicken patty, or a grilled chicken breast. So it's a chicken burger, and a grilled chicken burger.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
These are literally two different things. A Chicken Sandwich is like what you get a McDonalds, Chick Fil-a, etc. A Chicken Burger is something you can get at sit down places, that is generally in the same shape as a hamburger patty.

Leynos

Chicken +
51753_51645_51161_51082_51088_51436_4.5in__seeded_ham.jpg

= Hamburger

Chicken +
20080308-01.35.13.jpg

= Sandwich

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'm in the Western US, and grew up calling it a 'chicken burger'.

I think the key is that most places offer a chicken burger will give you the option of a fried chopped chicken patty, or a grilled chicken breast. So it's a chicken burger, and a grilled chicken burger.

I've never had a ground chicken burger. Texas here. I've seen frozen boxes of them at the grocery store. I usually just shuffle along as fast as I can when I come face to face with them.

If it has a bun, it is a burger.

A Singapore Chicken McSpicy is a BURGER.
Wendy's and Chick Fil-A make chicken BURGERS. They advertise them as chicken sandwiches, but they are wrong.

If it's anything patty-like in a roll it's a burger.

If it's something like slices of ham with cheese and salad in a roll it's a roll.

If it's in between two slice of bread it's a sandwich.

Hot dogs are their own thing.

Crusty rolls are debatably always rolls regardless of filling.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If it has a bun, it is a burger.

A Singapore Chicken McSpicy is a BURGER.
Wendy's and Chick Fil-A makes chicken BURGERS. They advertise them as chicken sandwiches, but they are wrong.

The Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich is, in fact, a sandwich. It is not a burger.

I've never had a ground chicken burger. Texas here. I've seen frozen boxes of them at the grocery store. I usually just shuffle along as fast as I can when I come face to face with them.
You've never had something like a McChicken at McDonald's? Or one of those extremely processed chicken patties from a school cafeteria? Think a big chicken nugget.

Side note, I've never had Chick Fil-A. Is their chicken burger (or sandwich) a whole breast filet, or chopped chicken?

Leynos

No, you can absolutely eat a ground patty on sandwich bread and it's still a burger.

So if you were to go to a restaurant, ordered a hamburger, and received a meatball between some white bread, you would not feel deceived?

I would. Because that is a sandwich.

So if you were to go to a restaurant, ordered a hamburger, and you received a meatball between some white bread, you would not feel deceived?

I would. Because that is a sandwich.

A meatBALL is not a patty. It's right there in the name.

The type of bread the item is on does not determine the categorization here. I've had Burger sushi rolls and they certainly weren't called sandwich sushi rolls.

You've never had something like a McChicken at McDonald's? Or one of those extremely processed chicken patties from a school cafeteria? Think a big chicken nugget.

Side note, I've never had Chick Fil-A. Is their chicken burger (or sandwich) a whole breast filet, or chopped chicken?

It's a whole chicken breast, which is why that poster is hilariously wrong.

If it's anything patty-like in a roll it's a burger.

If it's something like slices of ham with cheese and salad in a roll it's a roll.

If it's in between two slice of bread it's a sandwich.

Hot dogs are their own thing.

Crusty rolls are debatably always rolls regardless of filling.

Nope. Burgers predate burger rolls. The type of bread doesn't even come into it.

Am_I_Evil

Ground chicken - burger, grilled/breaded chicken - sandwich

My wife does the same (all burgers) and it bothers me lol... But I just keep that to myself

Furthering this debate - Burger King's 'Original Chicken Sandwich' is a chopped chicken patty that is served on a hoagie roll - which is what classifies it as a sandwich over a burger.

But when that same roll has two hamburger patties and Whopper fixins on it, it's referred to as an 'Ultimate Whopper'.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ground chicken = burger, original texture chicken breast/thigh = sandwich.

Same with fish, pork and beef. I mean roast beef is not a burger, but a sandwich.

Anoregon

Furthering this debate - Burger King's 'Original Chicken Sandwich' is a chopped chicken patty that is served on a hoagie roll - which is what classifies it as a sandwich over a burger.

But when that same roll has two hamburger patties and Whopper fixins on it, it's referred to as an 'Ultimate Whopper'.

Whopper Dynamics are a separate branch of Burger Physics and the two don't necessarily play nice together. It's like Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

Top Bottom