• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Settle this debate chicken burger or chicken sandwich?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
A chicken burger to me implies ground chicken.

A chicken sandwich implies a breast fillet.
Yep. And in that case. A chicken sandwich is the GOAT:
oBiY3S3.jpg

Iksenpets

Banned
It is a chicken sandwich unless the chicken has been ground and pressed into a hamburger-like patty and then grilled hamburger style.

Valtýr

I don't know how there's a debate to this. Burger describes the preparation of the meat. If it's grounded and formed into a patty and cooked, it's a burger. That's why you have turkey burgers, beef burger, sausage burger, etc. When you take burgered meat and turn it into a patty it's a friggin burger.

A piece of chicken breast between two pieces of bread is a chicken sandwhich.

Whopper Dynamics are a separate branch of Burger Physics and the two don't necessarily play nice together. It's like Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.
I suppose. Though consider the Sourdough Jack, or other hamburger-based sandwiches that don't utilize traditional buns. That usually moves them into 'melt' territory, away from the burger classification.

Thus, there's precedent for the bread being the defining element.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It is a chicken sandwich unless the chicken has been ground and pressed into a hamburger-like patty and then grilled hamburger style.

I think we've come to a consensus for the most part except for the crazies who think everything is contingent on what type of bread is used.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I suppose. Though consider the Sourdough Jack, or other hamburger-based sandwiches that don't utilize traditional buns. That usually moves them into 'melt' territory, away from the burger classification.

Thus, there's precedent for the bread being the defining element.

It has less to do with the bread being a defining characteristic and more to do with the fact that it is a modification of an existing item that is already considered a burger. A whopper is definitely a burger. A weird whopper on a hoagie roll is still a whopper because it is a member of the whopper burger family, for example. A chicken Sandwich that uses a roll/bun instead of bread is still primarily a chicken sandwich.

Now, Burger King could swap out the patty on a regular whopper for a chicken cutlet/breast filet and call that a "chicken whopper", but that would be insanity. A chicken whopper would require a ground chicken patty.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Side note:

Burgers with ground chicken are terrible. You need a little more fat and turkey works much better.

Yeah, I didn't want to get into that but "chicken burgers" in general don't need to exist. Turkey burgers are legit tho

This is my opinion:

A chicken burger is a patty made of chicken usually breaded. You can fry or bake chicken pattys for different results. It's usually placed on a bun but not square bread.

A chicken sandwich is loose chicken meat that is carved from a cooked chicken. Think turkey sandwich only replace the turkey with chicken. At restaurants they might call this a chicken salad sandwich, salad implying the way you would find chicken in a chicken salad. Being a sandwich, you can either use a bun or square cut bread.

It has less to do with the bread being a defining characteristic and more to do with the fact that it is a modification of an existing item that is already considered a burger. A whopper is definitely a burger. A weird whopper on a hoagie roll is still a whopper because it is a member of the whopper burger family, for example. A chicken Sandwich that uses a roll/bun instead of bread is still primarily a chicken sandwich.

Now, Burger King could swap out the patty on a regular whopper for a chicken cutlet/breast filet and call that a "chicken whopper", but that would be insanity. A chicken whopper would require a ground chicken patty.
So, funny you bring up a Chicken Whopper. It seems it's an actual menu item in Burger King India - but I can't tell if it's using chopped chicken or not. The menu description mentions a 'patty', but that could be a pounded breast.

But I think we're losing the thread. If a burger on sourdough makes it a melt, doesn't that mean the meat isn't the defining characteristic?

Chicken Burger if it's a patty of ground chicken. Otherwise, it's a Chicken Sandwich.

Unless the chicken is ground and formed into a patty, sandwich.

This is my stance.

Yeah, you can have pieces of chicken in a sandwich, but you never call that a chicken sandwich. It's always chicken salad, or a chicken panini, or a chicken sub, or however it's prepared.

This is a chicken sandwich. Just a chicken filet on bread.

chickenshack.0.jpg

Voidwolf

Ground meat is a burger. Filets are sandwiches. If you had a chunk of sirloin steak and put it on a bun, it'd be a steak sandwich, not a burger. Same applies to other meats.

Probably the best explanation here. It can be both, just depends on how the chicken is prepared.

Afrikan

I always get Chicken Burgers when ever possible. Superduper you have to make it clear to them.

And when they fuck up my order and give me a huge sourdough bread instead. FUUUUUUUUU.

Faiz

You've never had something like a McChicken at McDonald's? Or one of those extremely processed chicken patties from a school cafeteria? Think a big chicken nugget.

Side note, I've never had Chick Fil-A. Is their chicken burger (or sandwich) a whole breast filet, or chopped chicken?

While I'm on the side that ground meat = burger... actual ground meat is a different beast from ultra processed breaded chicken patties that are essentially giant chicken nuggets. Those aren't burger patties, therefore it's not a burger, it's a sandwich.

ElRenoRaven

Unless it is chicken ground up into a burger patty and made into a burger then that shit is a chicken sandwich. This isn't up for debate.

Paltheos

... huh. I've called food items that resemble burgers with chicken meat 'chicken sandwiches' for a very long time. I know I reflected on this when I was young, but this discrepancy never crossed my mind again until entering into this topic. I suppose I should call them chicken burgers.

Round bun=Burger
Breads=Sandwich

This is what I believed my entire life.

I recently moved to USA and was stumped to see what I thought were Chicken Burgers being called Chicken Sandwiches. I thought this is how it's supposed to be.

Now we have this topic on GAF, so are there places in US which actually have Chicken Burgers?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Round bun=Burger
Breads=Sandwich

This is what I believed my entire life.

I recently moved to USA and was stumped to see what I thought were Chicken Burgers being called Chicken Sandwiches. I thought this is how it's supposed to be.

Now we have this topic on GAF, so are there places in US which actually have Chicken Burgers?

Don't listen to the heretics. We call them chicken sandwiches here.

The burger in burger stands for hamburger. As in beef. As in not chicken.

Don't listen to the heretics. We call them chicken sandwiches here.

The burger in burger stands for hamburger. As in beef. As in not chicken.

Yeah this is what I have seen everywhere here in US and this is what I believe.
Beef=Burger.

BTW what's a McChicken? Burger or a Sandwich?

Top Bottom