• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV 30th Anniversary Costumes Announced

kikiribu

Those Karin and Bison costumes will be purchased on day one. I might as well jump on the Karin bandwagon now. I see you, bonchan.

Guile hasn't looked right in any modern SF game IMO, a shame as he looked badass in the SF1 days.
Guile looks better in SF5 than he did in the old days, actually.

Old days didn't have this.

streetfighterv_201707yxpkk.png

Ninjimbo

I see what Capcom is doing here. The sold tons of Chun outfits, then they nerfed her to the ground and Japan moved on into their new official waifu. They will nerf Ibuki into oblivion in S3 and buff Menat. She will become the new official waifu in Japan and will get tons of outfits for the whole year. She will be nerfed in S4, though, when Sakura will take her place as the official waifu.
When does Juri become the official waifu?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
These don't scream "30th anniversary!!!" to me so much as they do "we left these out of the Capcom Pro Tour DLC bundle so you could pay more for them later!"

I'd like to see more than a Street Fighter II re-release and some DLC outfits for the 30th anniversary, but will keep my expectations in check. Maybe that rumored collection of Alpha and 3rd Strike is going to be their big announcement later on.

Neoxon

These don't scream "30th anniversary!!!" to me so much as they do "we left these out of the Capcom Pro Tour DLC bundle so you could pay more for them later!"

I'd like to see more than a Street Fighter II re-release and some DLC outfits for the 30th anniversary, but will keep my expectations in check. Maybe that rumored collection of Alpha and 3rd Strike is going to be their big announcement later on.
The CPT costumes (sans Necalli & Guile, whose costumes were made by Kazunoko & NuckleDu respectively) are actually deep-cut references to some art done during the SFII days. Shout-out to Ryce for digging this up.

29_cptcostumes01.jpg

That said, we're getting 30,000 FM for free & supposedly the Anniversary Collection. We may also get Menat this month for SFV.

Ryce

I don't get that impression at all. Both the 2016 and 2017 CPT bundles feature a winner's choice costume and two costumes each from this classic artwork. These new costumes have no place in the CPT bundle. Thematically, they're ceremonial garb meant to celebrate the series' 30th anniversary.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I don't get that impression at all. Both the 2016 and 2017 CPT bundles feature a winner's choice costume and two costumes each from this classic artwork. These new costumes have no place in the CPT bundle. Thematically, they're ceremonial garb meant to celebrate the series' 30th anniversary.

Am aware of this...those 30th anniversary outfits fit right in with the CPT style though. Regardless, I hope we get more than just some DLC and FM.

Would also like to know what's up with the Akiman-designed Chun costumes that were shown quite a ways back.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I guess since this is the anniversary of SF1 technically they could have released a Nostalgia costume for Ryu where he has red hair and slippers. I don't think anyone actually wants that, though.

Well, we did have it in Mahvel 3! SF1 style costumes would have been a nice idea, actually. Especially if it gave them an excuse to make the new character of SFV take on looks that gave them retro design sensibilities.

Hopefully we'll get either a Menat reveal, the Anniversary Collection's official reveal, or both at Gamescom. We're already getting 30,000 FM for free in honor of the anniversary.

I definitely am hoping to see a Menat reveal. Even just a tease would be nice. I still wish the FM they gave was enough to cover something significant on it's own.

For people wondering what these costumes have to do with the 30th, these seem to be celebratory/festival outfits.

Ironically enough, not a single character from SF1 got a costume, tho.

poodaddy

I can't be the only one who caught this.

You're certainly the only one who cares.

The Bison and Guile costumes are outstanding, and the Karin costume looks alright, but that Ibuki is trash. Where's the Dhalsim costumes Capcom? This was the perfect chance to get a Dhalsim wearing an ace looking traditional Indian robe. Woulda looked amazing. Good opportunity for Zangief in traditional Russian formal wear as well.

Hell Abigail would look hilarious in formal wear! Missed opportunities; the publisher.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You're certainly the only one who cares.

The Bison and Guile costumes are outstanding, and the Karin costume looks alright, but that Ibuki is trash. Where's the Dhalsim costumes Capcom? This was the perfect chance to get a Dhalsim wearing an ace looking traditional Indian robe. Woulda looked amazing. Good opportunity for Zangief in traditional Russian formal wear as well.

Hell Abigail would look hilarious in formal wear! Missed opportunities; the publisher.
They can't release too many costumes at once or else people will start tallying up the total cost to own everything and start shitting on them for that instead.

Murdamonk

Don't get me wrong.. I like the new costumes.. But i was expecting more...

Hopefully they will announced something other than just costumes...

For some reason I was expecting something that takes me back to SF2.

I didn't expect just random-as-fuck but nice looking skins. Like...these could have been released just randomly and nobody would have been like, "oh man those look like 30th anniversary skins!". They don't have any history in SF. Meh. Maybe the other anniversary skins will make up for these.

Gamescum, believe
The weirdest thing about this still is the fact that all the leaks have come from the European region, Germany in particular.

Is it possible that it's only getting a physical release in Europe or something? Or perhaps Europe first, NA later?

But then again, we would've gotten SOME kind of leak somewhere from the Americas that this game is coming if it was so close.

nded

Guile's tats aren't mirrored anymore.

Ironically, Guile's old mirrored flags would be considered correct according to U.S. Military uniform regulations which state that the star field should always be oriented forwards (in the direction the person is facing) regardless of which arm the flag patch is on.

Top Bottom