• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Summer Update 2021 online event

yurinka

• Akira and Oro will be released August 16th
  • Akira's stage inspired in a classic Rival School stage will be released August 16th
  • Tournament Mode, improved and open to allow players create uer created tournaments will be released August 16th
  • 5th Season V character announced: Luke, a brand new character, will be released this November
  • Behind-the-scenes stuff showing how audio designers record the sound effects and OST of the game
  • Guile and Cammy skins coming to Fortnite
  • New Oro and Akira t-shirts shown
  • New RyuChamp (Ryu) and FamilyMan (Guile) emotes added to Twitch
  • Street Fighter League Season 4 announced
There is extra detailed info on Capcom-Unity: https://www.capcom-unity.com/2021/0...-akira-and-the-reveal-of-the-final-character/

99_Luke_Keyart-1024x624.jpg

[qoute]Season 5’s Final Character has been revealed! Luke enters the ring!

Our biggest Summer Update 2021 announcement was about the one thing on everyone’s mind since we first announced Season 5: the 5th and final character for Street Fighter V!

Introducing Luke, a brand new character that will help expand the world of Street Fighter. Check out the announcement video:

From what we can see, Luke appears to focus on moving fast and hitting hard. His punches even shoot beam-like projectiles at an alarming speed! Luke will step into the ring November 2021, and we can’t wait to share more info about him soon![/qoute]

%E3%82%AA%E3%83%AD_pub_0330-1024x640.jpg

13_Akira_Keyart-1024x622.jpg

30_Oro_Akira_Costume_EN-1024x576.png

Free trial (PS4 version) with all Seasons 1, 2, 3 and 4 from August 4 through August 18:
32_SU21_TrialSlate_EN_Revised-1024x576.jpg

PS4 and Steam summer sales, for the first time they are discounting the Season 5 Premium and Character Passes as well as the SFV:CE + Season 5 and Upgrade Kit + Season 5 Pass bundles
  • Season 5 Premium Pass (25% off)
  • Season 5 Character Pass (25% off)
  • SFVCE + Premium Pass Bundle (30% off)
  • SFVCE Upgrade Kit + Premium Pass Bundle (30% off)
  • SFV (60% off)
  • Champion Edition (up to 35% off)
  • Champion Edition Upgrade Kit (40% off)
33_SU21_SaleSlate_EN_new_Revised-1024x576.jpg

SeasonVPassEndslate_Luke_EN_multi-1024x576.png

Last edited:

SSfox

Bro is Capcom became a DBZ stan or something? both Rose and Oro have DBZ like super moves lol

That being said Oro looks pretty dope.

KAL2006

Banned
I know he got alot of gate but I prefer the marketing of Street Fighter V when Ono was around. We just got characters introduced for the first time ever with s coil gamepay trailer. Then later we got a demonstration of the character. That marketing cycle was much better than these long presentations.

SALMORE

Luke looks fun to play but that hair was a meh .... also he plays very similar to Shen woo from KOF and his super is exactly like John Crawley's super from Art of Fighting

MiguelItUp

Shame that the last character is a new character that honestly looks.... pretty lame IMO.

It's been really hard to watch the SF streams because all the fake hype feels so incredibly blatant, lol. I get it guys, you're supposed to be excited, but are people really going to be that hyped about Guile and Cammy in Fortnite, some goofy Twitch emotes?

It just continues to feel like they really don't know what their community wants, lol.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Anothr blonde white dude.

Capcom need to go back to world warrior of diverse characters in Street Fighter 6. Fuck the haters who hate stereotypes i want most racist Street Fighter stereotypes ever.

I want a donut eating overweight American dude, I want a drunken Irish street fighter, a Chinese Ip Man style Kung Fu master. My favourite new characters in 5 were Laura (busty Brazilian) Rashid (rich Arab), Menat (fortune teller Egyptian woman) it's always the stereotypical diverse characters that are favourites not shit like Luke.

Damn the new character looks trash kinda, he's like some Big Lot's-tier Steve Fox and Ed smashed into one, and he skipped out on classes from Terry Bogard and Joe Higashi, flubbing his own moves along the way. And those better not be needle marks on his arms.

Kind of a waste for a final char slot IMHO, he's basically what Ed should've been from Season 2. Should've just given Ed these new moves and give us a new sexy female char in the final slot instead.

yurinka

I just updated the OP with extra info, there's a related Capcom-Unity blog.

Regarding Luke, I think he looks cool. Looking at his shorts seems to be from USA. His face reminds me of Ken, but I notice he has Guile's necklace and his tatoos maybe are inspired by Guile's tatoos too. Ken and Guile are family, so maybe he's the son of one of them. Excluding his tatoos, visually he's a very classic, pure Street Fighter II-like design: shirtless blonde guy with some Sagat-like pants and shoto gobes and funky hair. I like him.

Some of his mores reminded me a bit of Kevin Straker (known as Ken in the USA version) from Street Fighter 2010, the NES game.

While ago I did datamine the tournament mode (in fact, before it was announced) and it's the most complete Tournament Mode I ever seen, people is going to love it.

I also think Oro and specially Akira and her stage look amazing, furck the haters I'm super hyped! :)

Last edited:

Fahdis

Anothr blonde white dude.

Capcom need to go back to world warrior of diverse characters in Street Fighter 6. Fuck the haters who hate stereotypes i want most racist Street Fighter stereotypes ever.

I want a donut eating overweight American dude, I want a drunken Irish street fighter, a Chinese Ip Man style Kung Fu master. My favourite new characters in 5 were Laura (busty Brazilian) Rashid (rich Arab), Menat (fortune teller Egyptian woman) it's always the stereotypical diverse characters that are favourites not shit like Luke.

So you want Bob, Steve Fox and Wang in SF? DON'T ASK HARADA FOR SHIT!

[Sigma]

Eh.......not caring about Luke at all right now. I was completely disappointed by his reveal/trailer.

I'll mess around with Akira for a couple of days or weeks since she's all I have left that I have interest in when it comes to this game and i'll likely finally delete this game off my PS5 and let it R.I.P for the last time.

KAL2006

Banned
I think there is a theme going on where Capcom try make a main or important newcomer character that's white and blond then quickly ignored afterwards and not very popular.

Alex - Meant to be the main character of SF3 is the chosen one by Gill, then hasn't appeared until SFV as a DLC character which he also is unplayable

Abel - He had something to do with the main boss of SF4 which I forgot think he was another Bison clone or something, basically the most important newcomber in the story for SF4. He only appeared in SF4 and never returned. Not many fans even list him as a character they want back either.

Ed - Supposed to be the new Neon Shadaloo leader, had s prominant role in the CG trailer for Arcade Edition attacking Ryu. In the end everyone said his design was garbage while his gameplay was okay. If he doesn't appear in SF6 I doubt people would notice.

Luke reminds me of all the above characters.

kunonabi

I think there is a theme going on where Capcom try make a main or important newcomer character that's white and blond then quickly ignored afterwards and not very popular.

Alex - Meant to be the main character of SF3 is the chosen one by Gill, then hasn't appeared until SFV as a DLC character which he also is unplayable

Abel - He had something to do with the main boss of SF4 which I forgot think he was another Bison clone or something, basically the most important newcomber in the story for SF4. He only appeared in SF4 and never returned. Not many fans even list him as a character they want back either.

Ed - Supposed to be the new Neon Shadaloo leader, had s prominant role in the CG trailer for Arcade Edition attacking Ryu. In the end everyone said his design was garbage while his gameplay was okay. If he doesn't appear in SF6 I doubt people would notice.

Luke reminds me of all the above characters.
Alex was in CFJ and Tastunoko VS Capcom. He only missed 4 and the cvs/svc stuff really.

Holy HELL Reeeeee is being MAD racist about this, well at least some of the people are. It's funny; I don't like Luke's look but that has more to do with the fact he just looks goofy, kinda looks like a junkie, gang member and glam metal would-be rolled into one with a touch of '90s Vanilla Ice "style" and IMO, his moveset seems kinda like what Ed should've been in Season 2 (or was that Season 3?).

But some people or Reeee are just being outright racist, it's nasty. Luke's problem isn't that he's a white, blond-haired character; it's that his design is kinda weak (IMO). But some of the dumbest posters in the Reee thread are making it about white supremacy, Capcom being racist (lol), saying he'd beat them up 'cuz they're brown, etc. And they just let that run rampant.

Racism is never cool, whether that's towards blacks, Latinos, Asians, whites etc. But it's so funny how a new character reveal who happens to be a white guy has closet racists on Era slither out of their pits and their mods just co-sign that stuff. Hell, some of them are throwing xenophobic stuff against Capcom in there, too.

There's some real cesspool-level shit over on that site :LOL: . Sorry for the derail, just kind of needed to vent about that.

yurinka

Holy HELL Reeeeee is being MAD racist about this, well at least some of the people are. It's funny; I don't like Luke's look but that has more to do with the fact he just looks goofy, kinda looks like a junkie, gang member and glam metal would-be rolled into one with a touch of '90s Vanilla Ice "style" and IMO, his moveset seems kinda like what Ed should've been in Season 2 (or was that Season 3?).

But some people or Reeee are just being outright racist, it's nasty. Luke's problem isn't that he's a white, blond-haired character; it's that his design is kinda weak (IMO). But some of the dumbest posters in the Reee thread are making it about white supremacy, Capcom being racist (lol), saying he'd beat them up 'cuz they're brown, etc. And they just let that run rampant.

Racism is never cool, whether that's towards blacks, Latinos, Asians, whites etc. But it's so funny how a new character reveal who happens to be a white guy has closet racists on Era slither out of their pits and their mods just co-sign that stuff. Hell, some of them are throwing xenophobic stuff against Capcom in there, too.

There's some real cesspool-level shit over on that site :LOL: . Sorry for the derail, just kind of needed to vent about that.
To include a character with certain skin or hair color isn't racist.

In any case, it would be racist to complain about a character's skin or hair color.

SSfox

Nah it's just that Capcom have some kind of obsession with blond fighters.

Guile, Nash, Cody are blond, cool and well designed. But this guy's design is hardcore lame.

xiskza

We didnt need another blonde fighter (time for a red head). But I dont mind his gameplay. Resetera's reaction is so cringe though, saying he represents white supremacy, wtf. Tired of those idiots. There's nothing wrong with being patriotic and loving your country. The people complaining about his race are the biggest racists. But then, woke libtards are all like that. No wonder the world is in such a sad state of affairs with these clowns calling the shots.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned

It's not even about being white. It's about character design variety. This character looks like another, Alex, Ed. There are a ton of blond white American dudes in this game. Hell Id take a Scottish white red hair dude, a white Australian etc. Besides the colour of his skin his design is garbage too. Finally id like to see more fighting styles represented in the Street Fighter universe, drunken boxer, capoeri, wing chun and etc. I had the same issue when Kage and Dan were announced when we got more Japanese shotos.

xiskza

It's not even about being white. It's about character design variety. This character looks like another, Alex, Ed. There are a ton of blond white American dudes in this game. Hell Id take a Scottish white red hair dude, a white Australian etc. Besides the colour of his skin his design is garbage too. Finally id like to see more fighting styles represented in the Street Fighter universe, drunken boxer, capoeri, wing chun and etc. I had the same issue when Kage and Dan were announced when we got more Japanese shotos.

That's not what some of them are complaining about though. They are equating his race to "white supremacy" and how him being a patriot somehow is problematic in 2021.

KAL2006

Banned
I have a feeling they will announce Street Fighter 6 at Capcom Cup this December.

They already hinted saying this Luke character is important for future of Street Fighter so I assume he is gonna feature in Street Fighter 6 and his story in 5 will link to 6. He is being release in November so I doubt Capcom will reveal 6 at Evo as it would take the wind off his release in November. So a announcement of 6 at Capcom Cup finals in December makes perfect sense.

yurinka

Something interesting I found in the Eventhub comments, Luke seems to be coming from Joe (SF1) redesign made for the SFV NPC lore characters and some of his movements seems seem to be from Joe's SF1 moveset.

AAE1f3AACLUP.jpg

AAE1f3AACLUQ.jpg

Luke's theme seems a remix of Joe's theme:

Maybe he is Joe's son? Capcom mentioned Luke is a tease of the future of SF, so maybe they focus the new SF6 chars on sons or disciples of previous characters. Looking at the SFV lore characters instead of including Geki from SF1 they included 'Geki II' a.k.a 'second generation Geki', something that leads to think he's the son of the SF1 Geki.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Something interesting I found in the Eventhub comments, Luke seems to be coming from Joe (SF1) redesign made for the SFV NPC lore characters and some of his movements seems seem to be from Joe's SF1 moveset.

AAE1f3AACLUP.jpg

AAE1f3AACLUQ.jpg

Luke's theme seems a remix of Joe's theme:

Maybe he is Joe's son? Capcom mentioned Luke is a tease of the future of SF, so maybe they focus the new SF6 chars on sons or disciples of previous characters. Looking at the SFV lore characters instead of including Geki from SF1 they included 'Geki II' a.k.a 'second generation Geki', something that leads to think he's the son of the SF1 Geki.

Interesting. Other franchises have done this such as Tekken (Law, King, Jin etc). Mortal Kombat (Kombat Kids).

That would be actually a good idea and something fresh for Street Fighter. As long as they have older version of their staple characters (Bearded Ryu, Suited Ken, Old Detective Chunli). I'd love to see Mel (Ken's Son, Datta (Dhalsims Son), and etc. Obviously not every character needs to have a child we should also get a ton of new characters. Basically a reboot with only Ryu, Ken and Chunli returning.

I have a feeling they will announce Street Fighter 6 at Capcom Cup this December.

They already hinted saying this Luke character is important for future of Street Fighter so I assume he is gonna feature in Street Fighter 6 and his story in 5 will link to 6. He is being release in November so I doubt Capcom will reveal 6 at Evo as it would take the wind off his release in November. So a announcement of 6 at Capcom Cup finals in December makes perfect sense.
That would be nice, but I’m not holding my breath. I think they might announce when this DLC is considered ancient meaning probably something like Late 2022- Early 2023 generously speaking.

Hoppa

Luke looks like a base character from a f2p game before the cosmetic dlc. I was kinda hoping the final slot would be Heihachi now that Akuma is cannon in Tekken lore.

yurinka

AAE1f3AACLUP.jpg

AAE1f3AACLUQ.jpg

His theme seems a remix of Joe's theme even if I don't see the similarities:

Interesting. Other franchises have done this such as Tekken (Law, King, Jin etc). Mortal Kombat (Kombat Kids).

That would be actually a good idea and something fresh for Street Fighter. As long as they have older version of their staple characters (Bearded Ryu, Suited Ken, Old Detective Chunli). I'd love to see Mel (Ken's Son, Datta (Dhalsims Son), and etc. Obviously not every character needs to have a child we should also get a ton of new characters. Basically a reboot with only Ryu, Ken and Chunli returning.
In fact, we already saw Sean (Ken's disciple), Menat (Rose's disciple), Cammy/Juli/Juni/Decapre/Abel/Falke/Ed (Bison's clones), Gouken (Ryu & Ken master) and some other one I may forget. Mel (Ken's son) or the girl adopted and trained by Chun also seem to have potential but not sure if he will be too soon. Who knows, maybe they could include Guile's daughter.

Street Fighter III was a huge failure due to the lack of returning characters, I highly doubt they will do that again. It's ok to include a good chunk of new chars, but a big portion of characters must be returning characters if they want to have a successful game.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Anyone know why they haven't done a PS5 upgrade yet? The PC version on MAX settings looks much better than the PS4 game and they could update the game on the console to look closer to that.

To include a character with certain skin or hair color isn't racist.

In any case, it would be racist to complain about a character's skin or hair color.

No I agree, having a character with a certain skin or hair color shouldn't be considered racist, but that's not what some of the people on Reeee are saying, or at least that's not how they're framing their disappointment. They're doing what you're mentioning in your second sentence.

We didnt need another blonde fighter (time for a red head). But I dont mind his gameplay. Resetera's reaction is so cringe though, saying he represents white supremacy, wtf. Tired of those idiots. There's nothing wrong with being patriotic and loving your country. The people complaining about his race are the biggest racists. But then, woke libtards are all like that. No wonder the world is in such a sad state of affairs with these clowns calling the shots.

Bolded especially; I'm tired of idiots conflating patriotism with ethnonationalism, they are not one in the same. The latter uses the former as an excuse for fueling potentially dangerous ideas and actions built off of them, but the former is mainly just having appreciation for your nation's history, heritage, its accomplishments and culture, etc.

People should have a sense of (reasonable) pride, honor, respect for the nation they grew up in, but only if you're an American are you told by idiots to not do so. Yes this country has made some big mistakes in the past and has its problems, but that's the case with EVERY NATION ON EARTH. These idiots want to claim they support equality, but never practice it.

That said I don't want to make this too political so I'll stop there.

For sure; IMO SFV's new designs are better than IV's, because that game had embarrassments like Rufus and El Fuerte, while the closest V has gotten (again for new characters only) is Luke, and I'd take Luke over any of the new chars from IV aside from Juri and C.Viper.

I do also get the criticism about there being a ton of blond white American males in the game in particular; you'd think with most of the blonds they'd at least choose a country like Sweden or something, where there are a ton of natural blondes. Add to that the fact Lucia (who's Puerto Rican) is both American and they ALSO made her a blonde (tho I'm not complaining there; she's hot), and I think that part of things calls for some bigger critiquing of the development staff. They seem to think America is Norway :S.

You do highlight a bigger issue tho, and why I think I'm worried about how good the designs for SF6 will be: they kind of just keep picking the same few spots over and over. That's going to limit the amount of visual variety in the designs as well as fighting styles. We don't need 10 shotos in a single game but you never know with Street Fighter. I at least hope they don't homogenize the cast for VI so much that some of my favorites (Dudley, Necro, Twelve, Elena, Rolento, etc.) have a chance to come back in a big way.

In any case, if Capcom drops the ball I'm at least glad other fighting games seem to be coming up big. Strive's doing really well now and holding strong, and I hope other fighters can grow similarly. It'll pressure Capcom to not get complacent with the next game, and try being more innovative in parts of the design. I think they could use that sort of kick in the pants.

That's not what some of them are complaining about though. They are equating his race to "white supremacy" and how him being a patriot somehow is problematic in 2021.

Yep; it's absolutely idiotic and even disgusting on multiple levels. It's like they're brainwashed.

yurinka

Anyone know why they haven't done a PS5 upgrade yet? The PC version on MAX settings looks much better than the PS4 game and they could update the game on the console to look closer to that.
They didn't mention it, but very likely they are too busy working on the remaining content and features and Street Fighter 6, and a free PS5 upgrade has a very low priority (in case they even considered for such old 2016 game) because unlike the other stuff it wouldn't give them extra revenue to compensate that work.

Maybe they consider it once done with S5 content and features.

Nah it's just that Capcom have some kind of obsession with blond fighters.
I think it's just marketing: it's a PlayStation console exclusive Street Fighter, which means their bigger demographic are young males from Europe and USA.

Around a third of the SFV cast are blondes, maybe the percentage among the players is higher. Specially in EU, PlayStation's top market and where SF has more room to grow.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
They didn't mention it, but very likely they are too busy working on the remaining content and features and Street Fighter 6, and a free PS5 upgrade has a very low priority (in case they even considered for such old 2016 game) because unlike the other stuff it wouldn't give them extra revenue to compensate that work.

Maybe they consider it once done with S5 content and features.

They could at least update the settings to the Max settings from PC. The PS4 is like Medium on PC.

Top Bottom