• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Shadow of the Eternals" Development Halted...

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Dangerously high sodium levels coming from imbarkus, as always.

wat.jpg
does that even mean i dont

He's calling you salty. It's not that particularly hard to get.

Also echoing what everybody else said; they really shouldn't have involved Dyack (or at least should have kept his involvement a secret), but even ignoring that aspect there were several other questionable aspects of the multiple fundraisers they had that made me second guess throwing any money their way.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
He's calling you salty. It's not that particularly hard to get.

None of this is really about me, and I'm not going to be the one to get personal about it. Though I believe last time I was labelled bitter and this time salty. Progress? **shrug**

I will say that I had been all about catching flies with honey here, during their campaign, and I did, mostly, but I also caught a bunch of shit, too.

Whatever, I just wanted the game, as it was shown, developed into a full thing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/u55/u55-end-of-the-line

I thought this one should have been funded too.

televator

Well supposedly this was the team that made the crappy Wii X-Men game. Correct me if I'm wrong. Add the Dyack element whose last grand vision was not very ah... Well it ended up in a sad state with no legal right to even exist in the end.

I wasn't exactly seeing all that potential that some people are insisting is there.

I LOVED Eternal Darknes, but there was too much reason to be skeptical about this Shadows project.

Eusis

I just had issues with trusting Dyack after all the Silicon Knights craziness. If the game ever came out, I was willing to give it a shot. But I just couldn't give it any money, and I actively discouraged others from doing so until Precursor proved themselves.
That's how I feel. Even without the Neogaf drama there was the legal issues and the whole thing didn't quite sit right with me. I'd rather take the chance on something either lower end or from more reliable developers. Heck, I don't think any Kickstarter was as high end as this was, it probably would've needed outside funding anyway.
FIND A PUBLISHER. That simple
A lot of people have been resorting to Kickstarter because it ISN'T that simple, especially in today's AAA Western market. It's absurd how safe many want to be anymore, while cracks are forming there it's probably not fast enough for something like this.

Amir0x

Banned
Honestly I didn't support it because I don't even know what people saw in Eternal Darkness... so hyping up a "spiritual successor" didn't really play to my values (at least, I think it was a sort of spiritual successor, am I wrong?). Clunky as shit game where the main draw was the sanity effects, and so I ended up playing the game as if it was some farce where the whole point was simply to try to play as long as possible as an insane idiot just so I can see whatever the next goofy shit was that Silicon Knights programmed into the game to try to "surprise" me or making me nervous.

Problem is, since the game was based around this sanity shit, not only was it never surprising, but it actually actively conditions you to expect it.

Then, if you're not into that aspect, you're just got a game obsessed with making poor Lovecraft references and having awkward, painfully unfun gameplay.

So that's why I couldn't support this... "For or Against" Dennis Dyack really couldn't factor into this decision, but the history behind it was more or less a final nail in the coffin.

StuBurns

Banned
I kind of feel bad for the non-Dyack staff, but they shouldn't have involved him anyway, he's detested by the very people they hoped to get money from.

JDSN

Banned
At the end of the day, as much as people wanna try to change the script, what sent this to its doom was that no one truly cared about this, not Dyack, no shady stuff, no hate campaign, just apathy.

I think this is a good thing in a way, maybe SK will focus on doing new interesting stuff.

StevieP

Banned
If Nintendo doesn't want to do it, then who else would ?

From who I spoke to, it was shopped around. Everyone is too safe right now. This isn't a corridor shooter or "cinematic" third person game. Being an unproven studio makes it 600000 times more difficult. That's why Nintendo, despite providing blessings, did not outright fund it.

Eusis

At the end of the day, as much as people wanna try to change the script, what sent this to is doom was that no one truly cared about this, not Dyack, no shady stuff, no hate campaign, just apathy.
I think there IS appeal to it, but a lot of the most successful came from developers with strong reputations, aimed low, and made games that weren't really being made. This failed the first two, and even the third may've been a miss too given some of the indie stuff coming out lately although at least that may've held water still. Something like Mighty No. 9 had a $900,000 and looks WAY lower end than this, so that really begs into question how far they really would've gone with Shadow of the Eternals.

Eusis

So what is next for Precursor? Do they have other projects lined up, are they going to fold, or what?
Maybe they'll realize they need to aim for a lower scale game and just go with that, then work up. Part of the reason western AAA's as safe as it is IS because these kinds of games can cost a lot of money. The other angle would probably be that even if they were to go way lower budget there's different value expectations and the earnings may be too slim to spend time with, this seems to actually be part of the reason EA's the way it is.

gabbo

So, I take it Precursor Games is also going to close up shop or by 'take a break' do they mean like a week, then come back and do outsource work/etc?

Feep

Banned
Expected news, but still sad. Meanwhile people fund all sorts of derivative nonsense super fast. Sigh. :(
This is far too extreme a view...I'm as excited about Ghost Song and Hyper Light Drifter as much as anyone...but there is some grain of truth to it. People see pitches that evoke nostalgia for their favorite games of yesteryear, and the floodgates open. It's why games like Mighty No. 9 and Shovel Knight and "Inspired by Dark Souls" projects are generally extremely successful, whereas more novel projects that don't have an immediate "It's like this!" tagline are more difficult to fund.

I was aware of this and cheated by making Wil Wheaton appear in my Kickstarter video. I have no idea if I would have succeeded without his intervention, but it would be far from a sure thing. Voice controls are risky. = D

StuBurns

Banned
MN9 is partially because of the frustration that fanbase feel with Capcom's treatment of Megaman though, although I mostly agree.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So, I take it Precursor Games is also going to close up shop or by 'take a break' do they mean like a week, then come back and do outsource work/etc?

Based on their wording, I'm sorta wondering if Precursor was an informal organization and now they're all separating to different jobs

JDSN

Banned
I think there IS appeal to it, but a lot of the most successful came from developers with strong reputations, aimed low, and made games that weren't really being made. This failed the first two, and even the third may've been a miss too given some of the indie stuff coming out lately although at least that may've held water still. Something like Mighty No. 9 had a $900,000 and looks WAY lower end than this, so that really begs into question how far they really would've gone with Shadow of the Eternals.
Its a matter of people wanting something that they want and unfortunately for SK a Megaman clone spearheaded by the guy responsible for many of Capcom's bad choices is gonna have more appeal than adventure-horror game exploring Lovecraftian themes spearheaded by another guy that made bad choices.

I would have backed it but I cant trust their reputation, but I don't think rep is that much important for most potential backers, their pitch was great, the goal was attainable, the game looked interesting, people simply did not care.

StuBurns

Banned
Its a matter of people wanting something that they want and unfortunately for SK a Megaman clone spearheaded by the guy responsible for many of Capcom's bad choices is gonna have more appeal than adventure-horror game exploring Lovecraftian themes spearheaded by another guy that made bad choices.

I would have backed it but I cant trust their reputation, but I don't think rep is that much important for most potential backers, their pitch was great, the goal was attainable, the game looked interesting, people simply did not care.
This is bizarre.

So you don't even fall under the reasons you think this failed over the Dyack reason.

I didn't like Eternal Darkness and wasn't looking forward to this, but I still think the world is a worse place for this cancellation and am sad for it. I know that this would have made a lot of people very happy. :(

I can't understand how some people fail to see that more games and particularly more games in different styles is unequivocally a good thing, whether those games are for you or not.

Eusis

Well, seeing Capcom after he left I do wonder just how bad his decisions really were relatively. But yeah, admittedly scorn over how Capcom's treated Megaman post-Inafune would be a big factor making people want to back MN9 more.
This is bizarre.

So you don't even fall under the reasons you think this failed over the Dyack reason.
I think it's more he expects we're the exception rather than the norm. The truth probably is somewhere in between, that Truth & Trolls Kickstarter still got a lot of money and passed, but I imagine a better reputation with the core audience would've been the spark that could've gotten Shadow of the Eternals to really kick off.

Xater

Of course it's done. If you can't even reach your crowd funding goal where else is the money going to come from? Every possible publisher would look at this and not give it a chance.

Personally it doesn't bother me. Like Amirox I don't get the cult of Eternal Darkness. I think it's an incredibly overrated game. Add to that the shitty track record if SK and I don't know who in their right mind would want to fund this.

Danielsan

Honestly I didn't support it because I don't even know what people saw in Eternal Darkness... so hyping up a "spiritual successor" didn't really play to my values (at least, I think it was a sort of spiritual successor, am I wrong?). Clunky as shit game where the main draw was the sanity effects, and so I ended up playing the game as if it was some farce where the whole point was simply to try to play as long as possible as an insane idiot just so I can see whatever the next goofy shit was that Silicon Knights programmed into the game to try to "surprise" me or making me nervous.

Problem is, since the game was based around this sanity shit, not only was it never surprising, but it actually actively conditions you to expect it.

Then, if you're not into that aspect, you're just got a game obsessed with making poor Lovecraft references and having awkward, painfully unfun gameplay.

So that's why I couldn't support this... "For or Against" Dennis Dyack really couldn't factor into this decision, but the history behind it was more or less a final nail in the coffin.
Finally a sane response to Eternal Darkness. The only way to actually see the sanity effects in Eternal Darkness is to purposely let your sanity meter go down. It's such a poorly conceived system. For the most part the rest of the game was middling at best too.

Interest wasn't high enough, so no game even after they reined in the scope for the second attempt.

The IP is strong enough to pop up again in the future though, if the stars align.

JDSN

Banned
This is bizarre.

Like I said, rep is not important to most potential backers, I dont see myself or other people here as the bulk of the KS users.

quetz67

Banned
They should have used that year to get one short episode out and use it as crowdfunding itself. Like selling it for like $10 and offer premium editions for those who are willing to pay for further development beyond the price of what they actually receive in gameplay value.

Dang0

No, the Dyack hate wave definitely played a big role in the outcome. The videos and material released were among the best for Kickstarter projects. This would have been funded with reliable project managers.

The amount they were asking for is also part of the problem. They managed to get their second kickstarter up to 300,000, I think. Unfortunately they wanted over 700,000. It a shame, I liked the look of it, I even chucked 50 bucks in for the kickstarter.

Eusis

Nintendo should have picked this up and allowed them to call it Eternal Darkness 2...cause you know...Wii U needs fucking games.
By the time they get it out they'd probably have plenty of their own, such as Monolith's next game. Probably not worth investing in at that point, especially since the turmoil with Silicon Knights kept it from coming sooner rather than later anyway.

Krakn3Dfx

Probably for the best, entire project seemed to be held together by wet toilet paper anyway. At least no one through kickstarter lost money on this.

I still think they need to aim lower to begin with. Release a couple of low-cost, high-quality 2D games. Build some faith in the Precursor name, and dispel people's concerns about Dyack. I think there's great potential there and clearly they're very passionate, but asking for $1.5 million and then $700k is just too much for a new studio. Don't use Cryengine 3 and aim a bit lower at first.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I still think they need to aim lower to begin with. Release a couple of low-cost, high-quality 2D games. Build some faith in the Precursor name, and dispel people's concerns about Dyack. I think there's great potential there and clearly they're very passionate, but asking for $1.5 million and then $700k is just too much for a new studio. Don't use Cryengine 3 and aim a bit lower at first.

Yea, as many have pointed out, Shadows of the Eternal was doomed the second Denis Dyack's name was attached to it. Too many burnt bridges and hurt feelings from the Crowdsroucing set.

Hiltz

Wii had Sadness. Wii U has Shadow of the Eternals. Both were gothic horror vaporware. At least, Shadow of the Eternals actually had gameplay footage!

7threst

I kinda looked forward to this, even though my expectations weren't very high anyway. Disappointed it's not coming :(

they should focus on smaller scale projects first for digital platforms instead of going for this quasi AAA out of the gate with a new baby company.

Also, Denis doesn't have much of a good recent track record, so I understand some major players in the industry are hesitant about giving him money.

This is why I'll never support any game via crowd funding. There is a very real chance that the project will fail and they can turn round and say "Ah well it didn't work, we are closing up shop. You can't have your money back because we fulfilled the small print, too bad".

Top Bottom