• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Shadow of the Eternals" Development Halted...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is why I'll never support any game via crowd funding. There is a very real chance that the project will fail and they can turn round and say "Ah well it didn't work, we are closing up shop. You can't have your money back because we fulfilled the small print, too bad".
Kickstarter doesn't take your money until the project is funded... -_-

This is why I'll never support any game via crowd funding. There is a very real chance that the project will fail and they can turn round and say "Ah well it didn't work, we are closing up shop. You can't have your money back because we fulfilled the small print, too bad".

Development was halted because they didn't reach their kickstarter goal so they didn't get any money and subsequently can't continue. Kickstarter does not give any money to the project creator until the end of the project deadline and only if they reached their funding goal. Look into such things before being so dismissive.

Ithil

I'm not sure what you're talking about. They aren't able to make the game because they DIDN'T fulfill their Kickstarter goals, so they got no money from crowdfunding.

Bedlam

If anything, this project proves that KS thrives on goodwill. Dyack and his top men at SK accumulated the opposite of that with the stance against online communities, the UE code-theft etc.

Eusis

Assuming instead that this is operating under the assumption a game can meet its funding goals but get canned anyway: this is why you have to have a discerning eye and consider whether they are promising the moon or it's something that's reasonably feasible. It's why interesting little games, retro-style throwbacks, and more ambitious yet sub-AAA projects from renown developers get funded more reliably.

There's still a gamble, yes, but it's a combination of calculated risks and having a bit of faith in seeing something you like once more if not something new entirely that won't work on an AAA budget.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If they'd self funded a more modest product they'd be well on their way to being done right now and having something to sell in the marketplace to re-establish a profit making studio.

This is why nobody trusted them with crowd funded money because they are not smart people. Just like several other of the actually successful "whoops we run out of money" Kickstarters, the last few years have been a window into the shit publishers have to put up with and why certain teams of people just aren't on their "give money to fuck up again" list.

There's risk involved in any game purchase, crowd-funded or not. If I go buy a copy of GTA5 right now, that's still a risk, because I might hate it and get nothing of value out of it.

Nalsh

There's risk involved in any game purchase, crowd-funded or not. If I go buy a copy of GTA5 right now, that's still a risk, because I might hate it and get nothing of value out of it.

Yep, gotta agree with this. Tons of Kickstarter/Indiegogo ventures fail everyday. That's the nature of the platform, and it's not a bad thing. I'd just hate for people to swear off crowdfunding when the system works how it should (IMO).

Shiggy

If you can't even get Wii U owners to fund your game on Kickstarter, then there's probably no-one going to fund it.

Dissapointing but I think they should have made something "smaller" for their first project, something to build confidence in the company to help separate itself from the stigma Silicon Knights had built up in it's late years.

I'm sure they could have made enough money to kickstart a spiritual successor the the original, top down, Legacy of Kain.

Cheerilee

From who I spoke to, it was shopped around. Everyone is too safe right now. This isn't a corridor shooter or "cinematic" third person game. Being an unproven studio makes it 600000 times more difficult. That's why Nintendo, despite providing blessings, did not outright fund it.

Nintendo - "We don't like to invest in third parties, because people can just quit, leaving us hanging onto a useless shell. We'd rather make one-to-one connections with the people who make games."

*People who worked with Nintendo in the past on a highly-regarded title have another game in the pipeline, and are desperate for a chance to work on Nintendo's game-starved system.*

Nintendo - "I dunno... you changed your company's name. Your office isn't even in the same building anymore. I think I'll pass."

JDSN

Banned
wii u owners might be very very receptive to kickstarter but we aint that rich
Nor that many.
Nintendo - "We don't like to invest in third parties, because people can just quit, leaving us hanging onto a useless shell. We'd rather make one-to-one connections with the people who make games."

*People who worked with Nintendo in the past on a highly-regarded title have another game in the pipeline, and are desperate for a chance to work on Nintendo's game-starved system.*

Nintendo - "I dunno... you changed your company's name. Your office isn't even in the same building anymore. I think I'll pass."

Completely explains why Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi, Kirby, Fire emblem x SMT and Mario RPG are made by third parties.

considering Nintendo know all too well how shit they were with money in their prior incarnation i'm not surprised they didn't give the game a second chance

Zemm

They need to do some contract work, get 1 or 2 good games under their belt then come back. When it's been 11 (eleven) years since your last good game got released it's going to be met with scepticism.

It is a shame. I think they were pretty close to being able to make the project a reality.

TPP should jump in and lend a helping hand!

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
It's really a shame what happened to the folks at Precursor, sure Dyack had a bad track record with games like Too Human and X-Men destiny and not to mention his debacle with epic. But the game they showed was really promising and I hope the development of it continue somehow.

They need to do some contract work, get 1 or 2 good games under their belt then come back. When it's been 11 (eleven) years since your last good game got released it's going to be met with scepticism.

you think anyone will give them contract work after the debacle with x-men???

Crowdfunding a western Wii U exclusive when it has generously sold 2 million US/PAL units in a year seems like it was doomed to fail. Nintendo fans don't really pre-order that heavily, asking them to do $15 on a dream project that wasn't even that popular on GameCube was wishful thinking. Dennis' involvement probably didn't help either.

These guys should aim lower to start. 2D isometric action RPG in the style of Legacy of Kain. Make that happen, then use the funds to get into AAA gaming again.

Cmagus

Shame the project looked good and had a lot of potential. Also the whole Dyack hate thing is getting abit ridiculous at this point imo.

Aaron

It's really a shame what happened to the folks at Precursor, sure Dyack had a bad track record with games like Too Human and X-Men destiny and not to mention his debacle with epic. But the game they showed was really promising and I hope the development of it continue somehow.
If they wanted this project to have a chance, Dyack should not be involved. With his last two games being bad, to his feud with Epic and NeoGAF, he burned too many bridges to not alienate the sort of people who support kickstarters.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
After three attempts at crowdsourcing with constantly shrinking demands for very few deliverables this was inevitable. If they had used Kickstarter and their final target from the very beginning they may have got somewhere. But they constantly fucked it up and just did nothing to reverse the constant negativity surrounding the project.

They need to do some contract work, get 1 or 2 good games under their belt then come back.

Exactly. They need to look for a couple of easy games to make, or self-fund a few iOS/Android games, prove themselves as competent developers and then come back to this when the time is right.

eot

Banned
A million dollars is a lot of money, most people don't get it handed to them just because they ask nicely. It's hardly a sob story.

A million dollars is a lot of money, most people don't get it handed to them just because they ask nicely. It's hardly a sob story.

the first time they asked for a million and a half

how many games have asked for that kind of money and actually got it? er well Elite and that's about it

Farslain

Not a fan of their past work or the developer.

But it sucks that the game got cancelled. The only losers here are us, the game could have been fantastic but with this outcome we may never know.

Double Helix found work so I'm sure this lot can.

I think DH had a history of getting their work done on time and within budget. No one expects miracles from licensed shovelware, and they haven't feuded with gamers, the press, or publishers.

Contrast this with SK, who blew smoke up MS', Sega's, and Activision's assess, while blatantly misappropriating funds from the latter. Too Human was actually a decent game but it's obvious Dennis is toxic to public relations and a rather poor resource manager. And I say this as a huge fan of Eternal Darkness.

you think anyone will give them contract work after the debacle with x-men???

Studios make bad games and continue to find work. If they are indeed blacklisted in the industry, I'd imagine it was because how they tried to fuck over Epic. There's no room for misinterpretation in what happened there.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.

What reason was there to believe that Dyack and friends would actually ship a quality product? They've spent the last decade making awful games and defrauding publishers. I don't think it's a shame at all that they're finally being held accountable for their actions.

Bravocado

What reason was there to believe that Dyack and friends would actually ship a quality product? They've spent the last decade making awful games and defrauding publishers. I don't think it's a shame at all that they're finally being held accountable for their actions.

This. I loved Eternal Darkness, warts and all, but I couldn't rationally trust them to deliver at this point. Sorry everyone.

Studios make bad games and continue to find work. If they are indeed blacklisted in the industry, I'd imagine it was because how they tried to fuck over Epic. There's no room for misinterpretation in what happened there.

i didn't mean because it was a bad game but because there's been tonnes of talk that money and resources were being syphoned away from x-mens development and put in to eternal darkness 2

the epic lawsuit i don't think would do their reputation that much trouble in the industry as many others probably thought SK had a point

The game looked decent and interesting but I was not going to give my money to ex silicon knights people upfront, sadly they dont have a a good history.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Wii had Sadness. Wii U has Shadow of the Eternals. Both were gothic horror vaporware. At least, Shadow of the Eternals actually had gameplay footage!

You forgot about Winter. There was gameplay footage for that.

Oh, yeah, someone certainly failed to be objective or fail, lol.

I think I'll continue to refrain from responding to personally directed comment and jabs, even if they come from moderators.

Obviously I have no other choice now but to agree to disagree. Since there are those who have pretty much stated they not only didn't support the project but actively campaigned against it, I suppose congratulations are in order.

I guess let's hope Mikami's not showing us smoke and mirrors layered on top of another dog-standard third-person shooter.

Tesseract

Banned
they should've kept mr. dyack in the closet until the funds were appropriated. dude has no business asking us for money after the for or against technopoly crap.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

You do realize this little exchange is pure fiction and didn't happen, right?

Atomski

Poor Dyack can't catch a break...

Love him or hate him, there was potential here.

Thats the problem.. its to ambitious and they lack proof that they can pull it off. They need to gain gamers trust back first. Start with a smaller not so ambitious title that is good and fun... then when that succeeds move on to something like this.

After their last big game and all the stupid immature drama its hard to trust these guys..

Top Bottom