• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 |OT| A ninja knows no fear

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Finished my first (and last cuz I've no desire to play this game again) playthrough last night. The story in SW2 is.... well, shit, along with very poor cut-scenes, terrible dialogs and meh characters. Sure, the dialogs can be funny sometimes and all but.... that's it.

I'm sorry FWH, I couldn't give a shit about anything retaled to the story in this game and the ending is
really bad, very anticlimactic and... well, let's just say that If someone expecting somethjing great or satisfying out off it... uh, just don't

Cracklox

Didn't really know anything about this game, until a local videogame tv show reviewed it during the week, and it looks fucking rad.

Shame I'm not really in a position to grab it right now. Though hopefully by the time the console port hits I should be ok to get it on PS4

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I am here for the gameplay anyway.
Same here, but 25-30 hours is WAY too much for this game, especially considering extremely repetitive levels, lack of interesting missions, characters and story. 10-15 hours is the sweet spot for this game imo.

derFeef

Same here, but 25-30 hours is WAY too much for this game, especially considering extremely repetitive levels, lack of interesting missions, characters and story. 10-15 hours is the sweet spot for this game imo.

Yeah I expect to have my fill somewhat after 15 hours, just like I had with the original.
I guess coop is an argument here, when someone wants to team up I would join for sure.

nilbog21

Banned
so i'm replaying the game to do all the side quests and im already on the final missiong with 68% of the game progression. Is this normal?

couldn't disagree more.

ezekial45

Banned
This game is unplayable for me after the recent steam and NVIDIA update. :(

My aging PC was able to play it for the last few weeks just fine, but now it's gotten worse with the recent patches. I get stuck on loading screens for up to 5-10 minutes, and the textures and environmental details barely load at all. It sucks, I really want to play this game but it's just not worth the hassle.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm struggling to finish Shadow Warrior 1 after loving Shadow Warrior 2 from start to finish, I'm around chapter 13 and I've hit the wall where I'm just getting a bit bored and frustrated even due to the lack of map which means I get lost and the stamina meter which is just awful and makes going the wrong feel even worse, I'm so glad they got rid of it for the sequel. Plus I dashed down a 2ft step and died, Wang must have some seriously weak ankles in SW1 (removal of fall damage was another brilliant idea).

epmode

Yeah, the minor and moderate quality of life improvements in the sequel make it tough to go back to the last game. I like this one a lot more.

mcz117chief

That's a lot. It took me 20 on fresh insane and I died a ton + the enemies require less of a direct approach than on normal. This time also includes all the cutscenes, fiddling with gems, shopping and a lot of idling.

Kaztinka

Finished the game today on who wants wang difficulty
100%-it in 13 hours
Loved it! Much better than the first one
Perhaps it's because I played most of it after the latest patch, but I didn't have much of a problem with the "bullet-sponginess" that people keep complaining about
or maybe it's because I played like 80% of the first one using only the sword
didn't care much about the boring gem system tbh
and the story was just trash (didn't think the 1st one's story was that good anyway, but Hoji made the journey much more fun at least)
a bit disappointed in the fortune cookies as well

But other than that, THIS GAME IS THE SHIT AND EVERYTHING I WANTED IT TO BE!
One of my best experiences this year (still haven't finished DOOM yet, but I'm not expecting much because I prefer the blend of melee&gunplay of Shadow Warrior over the gunplay focus of Doom)

Kaztinka

Sorting through the standard upgrade gems is a chore, but the weapon modifier gems are usually rad. Currently rocking a laser slingshot that shoots double explosive rounds.

I guess
but I still wish it wasn't randomly generated tbh

renzolama

Sorting through the standard upgrade gems is a chore, but the weapon modifier gems are usually rad. Currently rocking a laser slingshot that shoots double explosive rounds.

If you've played the Borderlands series, how would you compare it to that in terms "wacky weaponry"? Are the more imaginative weapon mods still viable/useful, or does it become the Borderlands model where 99% of what you get is silly garbage?

120v

in my experience the gem/upgrade system becomes "relevant" when replaying on higher difficulties. not saying it's useless on lower difficulties by any means but high end loot is pretty much the endgame

if poring over your inventory becomes a slog you're probably being overly cautious unless you're going for something very specific. if something doesn't come off as useful right away don't be afraid to sell or combine it at the crafting bench.

nded

If you've played the Borderlands series, how would you compare it to that in terms "wacky weaponry"? Are the more imaginative weapon mods still viable/useful, or does it become the Borderlands model where 99% of what you get is silly garbage?

There's not that many gimmick weapons in the vein of Borderlands, and most of what there is is inherent to the weapon itself which can be upgraded to remain viable if you wish. The modifiers add functionality like dual wielding, sticky bombs and the ability to use a weapon as an automated turret, typically with a stat tradeoff.

Harlock

Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O02RVoKI3g

sygaQvQ.jpg

Kaztinka

I booted up Doom today to try out the arcade mode and that game feels SO SLOW coming off of Shadow Warrior 2. SW2 clearly has the better movement out of the two.

I'd love to keep playing through the higher NG+'s but everytime I'm about to boot up the game I think about slogging through a bunch of loot and decide not to. =\

That's what I'm afraid of (since I haven't finished Doom yet)
I'm probably gonna have to wait then till my Wang boner calms down a bit

derFeef

I booted up Doom today to try out the arcade mode and that game feels SO SLOW coming off of Shadow Warrior 2. SW2 clearly has the better movement out of the two.

I'd love to keep playing through the higher NG+'s but everytime I'm about to boot up the game I think about slogging through a bunch of loot and decide not to. =\

I still think the shooting feels way better in DOOM and the genereal design and mechanics are also much better. SW2 is just a fun game all around though. Just slicing, dicing, shooting. Hop in the game, do a mission, have your fill and done.

Tapejara

Finally beat it! After loving everything about Shadow Warrior 2013 I was pretty disappointed, but still had a lot of fun.

+Gameplay is still great
+Kamiko and Lo Wang's relationship was enjoyable. Thought I'd miss Hoji, but Kamiko was a great replacement
+Some of the weapons were really well designed

- Story was pretty underwhelming overall
-
How did the Kyokagami twins go from being totally badass in the first game to junkies in this one? Was hoping they'd play more of an adversarial role
- Level design wasn't that great. A lot of missions where I was just running through the same environments
- Item crafting felt tacked on and unnecessary
- A lot of filler weapons

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I bought the 2013 version months ago as a daily deal. I always intended to play it, but never got around to it. Finally I ordered a 4k television and wanted to buy this to try out HDR.

Knowing the TV was coming I started playing the first one and, though I'm not done yet, I'm really enjoying it. I have been seduced by the sequels' hdr siren song and have been playing that as well.

Man, Wang is a great character. The writing in the games is really good. Honestly I was sort of dreading the story since I assumed it would be pretty crass, which it is, but it's really funny.

Overall I've come to love the series. Disappointing that the OT wasn't busier!

quick question regarding force slash skill....

How do I unlock it?
btw I'm almost done with the campaign... i think... and I am pretty sure I missed the sidequest that unlock it...

any pointers?

mcz117chief

quick question regarding force slash skill....

How do I unlock it?
btw I'm almost done with the campaign... i think... and I am pretty sure I missed the sidequest that unlock it...

any pointers?

I think it is part of one of the main quests. You just unlock it in the skill tab. I don't remember doing anything special to get it.

I think it is part of one of the main quests. You just unlock it in the skill tab. I don't remember doing anything special to get it.

nvm figured it out. Bought it from Hideo

Thanks for the help!

Just finished the game and I enjoyed it just as much, if not even more than Doom.

gdt

Is polygons review rating of 5 accurate? I am Contemplating getting this for the loot aspects

No.

I can't judge on how well done the loot aspect is (I love the weapons and the gems and abilities are fun to mix and match, I'm just not an expert on the genre), but the actual game and gun and sword play are fantastic. So is the movement.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this a few days ago and loved the shit out of it just like the first game. Gameplay feels better and the guns feel better this time too (though there's still room for improvement).

What disappointed me was the story and Lo Wang just came across a bit more annoying in this compared to the first one. I think for me the game sorely misses Hoji and Lo Wangs interactions with him. I mean Kamiko is fine but Hoji was a much better character. The writing in this just isn't as good. It doesn't hurt the game too much though as it's so much fun to play and better in that regard in comparison to the first game. The last boss fight is presented in an awesome way too which made me smile :)

mcz117chief

I thought SW2 was more impressive than Doom. One of my best games of 2016. Put like 40 hours into it, which for a SP fps is great. I never even touched MP.

Yup, Doom 4 is a nice game but Shadow Warrior 2 is the real king of FPS games this year. Right now I have 48 hours on it and also no multiplayer.

mcz117chief

Shitty human npc models for the non importants though lol.

yeah lol describes that pretty well, also, I hate how the camera is somewhere inside Wang's body (maybe we have the wang camera?) so it feels like Lo Wang is about a meter tall :D

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
yeah lol describes that pretty well, also, I hate how the camera is somewhere inside Wang's body (maybe we have the wang camera?) so it feels like Lo Wang is about a meter tall :D

I wonder if that's deliberate, many old school FPS were like that.

I picked up this game last week and it's fun. Just really fun.

mcz117chief

I wonder if that's deliberate, many old school FPS were like that.

I picked up this game last week and it's fun. Just really fun.

Yeah, but I believe this is one of those things that doesn't need to be brought back. It just doesn't feel right always looking up at people. I'm glad you are having fun though :)

Top Bottom