• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 |OT| A ninja knows no fear

nded

Yeah, the story was all over the place. Normally I wouldn't bat an eye at a game like this not bothering much with narrative, but the previous game handled it surprisingly well.

Apparently there's a lot of optional dialog with Kamiko during story missions and I didn't realize this until close to the end.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yeah, the story was all over the place.
Well, the story did not interest me at the outset. I mean, it's a Shadow Warrior game, what can you possibly expect from a game like this and with such characters and stuff? Well I can tell you what - B-movie stuff at the very best. And there also a shit ton of text (scrolls, books and other shit), the devs really thought that someone will be actually reading all this shit in a Shadow Warrior game? Well, I can tell them right now that I haven't read a single scroll or book cuz I don't care about the characters, lor or anything else in this game related to story cuz... uh, for Christ's sake... they can guess the reason and it's obvious as hell.

nded

Well, the story did not interest me at the outset. I mean, it's a Shadow Warrior game, what can you possibly expect from a game like this and with such characters and stuff? Well I can tell you what - B-movie stuff at the very best. And there also a shit ton of text (scrolls, books and other shit), the devs really thought that someone will be actually reading all this shit in a Shadow Warrior game? Well, I can tell them right now that I haven't read a single scroll or book cuz I don't care about the characters, lor or anything else in this game related to story cuz... uh, for Christ's sake... they can guess the reason and it's obvious as hell.

I don't know what you're getting at here, bud.

mcz117chief

I read all the scrolls, they are really good and entertaining. They give some interesting backgrounds on characters that are only mentioned in the game, they expand the overall lore and also there are some fun stories like the Hare of Inaba. Also, the 2013 one has a pretty decent story.

AHA-Lambda

I don't expect anything noteworthy or even anything particularly good from a game such as this.

But at least SW2013 had a coherent story, not anything good per se but I could follow it. I couldn't tell you wtf this game was about; before concluding in possibly the most daft non sequitur of an ending I think I've ever seen in a game.

Wallach

my game turns into a black screen every once in a while, anyone getting this?

Windows 10? Might check to see if you have that stupid Xbox Game DVR turned on after the anniversary updates. Shit causes problems in a lot of games because of how it claims resources, and they were very gracious to install and enable it for you silently.

Welp, nobody warned me not to start New Game Plus, now I'm done with the game I guess. Nothing scales. There's no benefit to starting New Game Plus.

Beardy

Welp, nobody warned me not to start New Game Plus, now I'm done with the game I guess. Nothing scales. There's no benefit to starting New Game Plus.

Uhh you realize the whole point of NG+ is so that you can play on a higher difficulty with the same character right?

Blade of Exile is a fucking beast. I've added ice damage to it with huge freeze effect, vulnerability to chill and this sword destroys absolutely everything that doesn't have ice immunity or huge resistance to ice. This and Saw Blade is the best swords in the game so far and I've almost completed my first playthrough.

Best sword is still Arm of Orochi by far.

678u5xa.png

BPoole

I'm about 60% of the way through the game and have found zero use for any of the guns over the swords. Is there some sort of mod configuration for guns that I am just oblivious to or are swords just the way to go?

Uhh you realize the whole point of NG+ is so that you can play on a higher difficulty with the same character right?
Pretty damn sure you can change the difficulty on a save without starting the entire game over again though.

And my beef is with it not actually being NG+. I was getting better loot and facing more difficult enemies near the end of my previous playthrough on a lower difficulty level than I am near the beginning of the game on a higher difficulty level.

Endgame's borked.

Beardy

And my beef is with it not actually being NG+. I was getting better loot and facing more difficult enemies near the end of my previous playthrough on a lower difficulty level than I am near the beginning of the game on a higher difficulty level.

The very definition of NG+ is that you start the story over while retaining your items/levels.

Beardy

I'm about 60% of the way through the game and have found zero use for any of the guns over the swords. Is there some sort of mod configuration for guns that I am just oblivious to or are swords just the way to go?

If you're playing on anything above Insane you're going to need to have guns because staying within melee range is just asking to be instagibbed.

General builds should be Elemental + Crit + Another Elemental/Crit mod.

The very definition of NG+ is that you start the story over while retaining your items/levels.
Yes, while obtaining better loot and facing enemies equal to or greater than the ones faced in the previous playthrough of the game.

Nothing scaled.

I was better off not in NG+.

Dunno what's so hard to understand about that.

DocSeuss

The previous game is one of the best-written stories in video gaming.

Beardy

Yes, while obtaining better loot and facing enemies equal to or greater than the ones faced in the previous playthrough of the game.

NG+ doesn't have to include scaled enemies or loot. That's what difficulty is for.

NG+ doesn't have to include scaled enemies or loot. That's what difficulty is for.

I was playing on an easier difficulty. I finished the game. I started up something called NG+, something that in every other loot-based game starts the game over, but scales everything up. I bumped up the difficulty. I'm getting worse loot. I'm facing easier enemies. If anything, this is NG-

Now I have to play through the entire game just to catch up to where I was before. There's no save file from when I wasn't in NG+. There was no warning that this wasn't actually going to be NG+.

Literally what is the purpose of this?

mcz117chief

I was playing on an easier difficulty. I finished the game. I started up something called NG+, something that in every other loot-based game starts the game over, but scales everything up. I bumped up the difficulty. I'm getting worse loot. I'm facing easier enemies. If anything, this is NG-

Now I have to play through the entire game just to catch up to where I was before. There's no save file from when I wasn't in NG+. There was no warning that this wasn't actually going to be NG+.

Is it normal for NG+ to have it's first enemies be stronger than last NG enemies? Because I honestly don't remember a single game that does that. Even the Souls games just bump everything by about 5% in NG+, 7% in NG++, 10% in NG+++, etc. if you went from normal to insanity you should have noticed a considerable jump in difficulty.

Beardy

It seems like you're getting upset entirely due to your own misconception of the term NG+.

Take for your example, "I started up something called NG+, something that in every other loot-based game starts the game over, but scales everything up"

In no other loot game are starting enemies in Hard difficulty going to give out loot better than the final enemies in Normal difficulty, nor are they going to be any harder like you want them to be.

Is it normal for NG+ to have it's first enemies be stronger than last NG enemies? Because I honestly don't remember a single game that does that. Even the Souls games just bump everything by about 5% in NG+, 7% in NG++, 10% in NG+++, etc. if you went from normal to insanity you should have noticed a considerable jump in difficulty.
I mean, I have a character level assigned to me. Loot should be dropping based on that level. Instead, loot drops based on story progression.

Also, Dark Souls NG+ is shit.

It seems like you're getting upset entirely due to your own misconception of the term NG+.

Take for your example, "I started up something called NG+, something that in every other loot-based game starts the game over, but scales everything up"

In no other loot game are starting enemies in Hard difficulty going to give out loot better than the final enemies in Normal difficulty, nor are they going to be any harder like you want them to be.
Why would anybody want to play through this shit story again then?

Literally every mission is the same thing. There's no variation in enemies based on where you are. There's like 3 map types. So right now, I play on futuristic level with baddies. They drop shit loot that's not scaled to my level. They're easy to kill. End-game is me on that same level with the same baddies, but better loot.

Why is loot tied to story progression?

This game's endgame isn't for me.

renzolama

If you're playing on anything above Insane you're going to need to have guns because staying within melee range is just asking to be instagibbed.

General builds should be Elemental + Crit + Another Elemental/Crit mod.

Yeah, plus...guns are fun. I can't imagine playing min/max in this game, it feels completely contradictory to the spirit of the design. You can add the crazy firing mods to do stuff like drop a gun as a turret, dual wield, charge up a power shot, etc etc. To be honest, I haven't really seen any examples in my weaponry where one weapon is clearly superior to others, so I just make them all crazy and interesting and then dodge a lot.

nded

NG+ is there for players who want to get gear and levels before tackling Insane difficulty or just fuck around with overpowered end-game stuff. There are better upgrade gems to be found in the higher difficulty levels and the drop rate for the rarer guns increases, but you're not going to find more powerful versions of the guns you already have.

mcz117chief

I mean, I have a character level assigned to me. Loot should be dropping based on that level. Instead, loot drops based on story progression.

To be super honest there really isn't any loot in this game. The power of the gems increases very slowly and they aren't even that important outside of giving you weapons elemental damage. There is no endgame here I think, there are no super dungeons or ultra weapons that you can get to go fight ultima monsters. Just play the game for it's gameplay and not for it's loot.

To be honest, I haven't really seen any examples in my weaponry where one weapon is clearly superior to others

you will soon because there are many, but that doesn't mean that the inferior weapons are useless. I finished the game with Wang's touch despite having access to vastly superior weapons.

Lorcain

I finished tonight. So much fun. The weapons and combat are what make this game great. Definitely a wtf moment at the very end cutscene, but damn that final boss music was worth it all.

A non-spoilery tip for those near the end...
make sure you loot the area right after taking down the final boss. Pressing the onscreen prompt at the fallen boss will start a cutscene and end the game.

On to NG+ for more wang.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I don't know what you're getting at here, bud.
The story is really not that important in a game such as this.

I read all the scrolls, they are really good and entertaining. They give some interesting backgrounds on characters that are only mentioned in the game, they expand the overall lore and also there are some fun stories like the Hare of Inaba. Also, the 2013 one has a pretty decent story.

But at least SW2013 had a coherent story, not anything good per se but I could follow it. I couldn't tell you wtf this game was about; before concluding in possibly the most daft non sequitur of an ending I think I've ever seen in a game.

The previous game is one of the best-written stories in video gaming.
I haven't played SW 2013 all that much (2-3 hours at best), but I'm planning to play it more... just not this year, I've enough SW for this year.

I don't expect anything noteworthy or even anything particularly good from a game such as this.
Same here, man, same here.

Best sword is still Arm of Orochi by far.

678u5xa.png
I do have this sword but not with such a huge DPS. NG+ or just a bunch of legendary gems?

Lorcain

Someone mentioned earlier that they didn't see the purpose of using guns over melee, and while that's somewhat true on the baseline difficulty (you can really use anything you like), some enemies are definitely handled much easier at range in the higher difficulties. Even on normal the hovering droid balls can be dispatched much faster using ranged. Some of the zilla corp melee enemies can be handled much easier using ranged too.

There are some really well designed ranged weapons in the game, and when slotted decently, they kick ass. You can throw a machine gun down as a turret during a boss fight! Near the end of the game I was dual wielding silver pistols (hand cannons) that contained the souls of 12 demons that would obliterate everything that wasn't a boss.

derFeef

I don't understand the weapon quick switch at all. Like if I choose a new weapon, it replaces the other one, not the current one equipped, which I would want. But then sometimes, it just does repalce the current one. UUUGGH.

Lorcain

I don't understand the weapon quick switch at all. Like if I choose a new weapon, it replaces the other one, not the current one equipped, which I would want. But then sometimes, it just does repalce the current one. UUUGGH.
It replaces the previous weapon. I know, it took me a second to figure that out too. So if you have a shotgun and a machine gun on your quick slots, and you're currently holding the machine gun, it will change out the shotgun quick slot when you select a new weapon.

Except when you find a new weapon in the field and hold down the equip button, then it switches the weapon you currently had equipped, and drops it from the selection wheel too. That's why I stopped holding down equip for new weapons I found as loot.

mcz117chief

Has any of you plebs finished the game on insane difficulty?

It was pretty manageable for me except the 1st boss battle with Kamiko's body. That one was fucking insanely hard, insta kills everywhere, hp refill every time. That was the moment when I went full melee until the end of the game, shift key and space bar getting hammered pretty much non stop, staying close enough to avoid the energy walls but far enough to dodge the spikes and just right mouse + W her till the battle was over. A damn nightmare fight, I must have died like 10 times until I got the rhythm down, everything else after that was pretty easy.

David___

Banned

It was pretty manageable for me except the 1st boss battle with Kamiko's body. That one was fucking insanely hard, insta kills everywhere, hp refill every time. That was the moment when I went full melee until the end of the game, shift key and space bar getting hammered pretty much non stop, staying close enough to avoid the energy walls but far enough to dodge the spikes and just right mouse + W her till the battle was over. A damn nightmare fight, I must have died like 10 times until I got the rhythm down, everything else after that was pretty easy.

Went on Insane for my first run and this was where I hit a wall too. Didnt switch to melee though and instead used the Gauss rifle you get before Mezu and the One Trick Pony grenade launcher.

Love me some charge shot.
kill0000_by_dictator93-dam9due.gif

I actually just got that part and had no problems with it interestingly enough.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Screw it, bought it out of curiosity. Kinda looked like Maken X. How long is it? Never played shadow warrior!

Will dive in after I Finish ReCore which I'm really enjoying

120v

so i've been holding off on giving my final verdict on this game because of work getting in the way of me finishing it. i wanted to rant and rave about how great it is at release but a lot of negative impressions poured in and i wanted to play everything through and make sure i wasn't giving into hype-- not that i ever had any particular "hype" for this game, it just interested me more than titanfall/CoD/BF in terms of scratching my FPS itch

so now i finished it, bravo flying wild hog. this is just an incredible fucking game. not perfect by any means but i feel the issues were thoroughly discussed already, good and bad. anybody on the fence should definitely give this a try. 8.8/13 would buy from them again

crabman

New patch info:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/324800/discussions/0/333656722983201079/
Hashmallum said:
Upcoming Patch 1.1.4.0 - gameplay changes.
Hey guys - we are taking in all your feedback from the forums here as well as emails.
Below are the changes we intend to introduce with the upcoming patch.

Balance and gameplay changes:

- Increased cap for experience gained on all difficulties
- Added a significant bonus for experience gained on difficulties higher than normal
- Slightly decreased large and special enemies' HP on difficulties higher than normal
- Added negative stats cap for high level upgrades
- The number of auras for a single enemy is capped to 1 on difficulties below 'Insane tier 2'
- Base physical resist lowered. This change affects all difficulty levels
- After finishing missions for the second time, instead of Skill Points the player now receives a powerful new currency called 'Orbs of Masamune'. The number of Orbs depends on the difficulty level. A new set of violent challenges will be added to the game soon. Players finishing these challenges will be able to imbue Smith's Anvil with power to greatly improve weapon stats. Orbs of Masamune will play crucial role in this proccess.
- Crafting option is now available always after a player unlocks it in the first playthrough
- Items in shops unlocked by story progress are now available always after a player unlocks them on the first playthrough

Lorcain

I resumed my Doom campaign after beating Shadow Warrior 2, and while the gunplay is masterful in Doom, I really hate being locked into arenas. Both Doom and SW2 are incredibly fun games, but I think I enjoy the flow and more open feel of SW2, even if the zones are repeated.

If I were to add a personal subtitle for my experience playing Doom, it would be Doom: Running in Circles Through Arenas (while blasting, ripping and tearing)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I don't know if it's the recent patches but I can no longer select resolutions over 1080 and I have also lost sound. Weird.

haikira

I don't know if it's the recent patches but I can no longer select resolutions over 1080 and I have also lost sound. Weird.

Update GPU drivers recently? Depending on installation type, it may have erased any custom resolutions you had set up.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Update GPU drivers recently? Depending on installation type, it may have erased any custom resolutions you had set up.

Don't know much about custom resolutions, running on a 4k tv and the in game menu had before offered settings up to 4k.

Patch 1.1.4.0 is out.

Version 1.1.4.0

Balance and gameplay changes:
- Removed gained experience cap (on all difficulties)
- Added a significant bonus for experience gained on difficulties higher than normal
- Slightly decreased large and special enemies' HP on difficulties higher than normal
- Added negative stats cap for high level upgrades
- The number of auras for a single enemy is capped to 1 on difficulties below 'Insane tier 2'
- Base physical resist lowered. This change affects all difficulty levels
- After finishing missions for the second time, instead of Skill Points the player now receives a powerful new currency called 'Orbs of Masamune'. The number of Orbs depends on the difficulty level. A new set of violent challenges will be added to the game soon. Players finishing these challenges will be able to imbue Smith's Anvil with power to greatly improve weapon stats. Orbs of Masamune will play crucial role in this proccess.
- Crafting option is now available always after a player unlocks it in the first playthrough
- Items in shops unlocked by story progress are now available always after a player unlocks them on the first playthrough

UI changes:
- Added descriptions for Insane difficulty tiers

Engine fixes:
- Fixed a crash on startup - mobile AMD GPUs
- Fixed key bindings
- NVIDIA Multi-Res - fixed chromatic aberration
- NVIDIA Multi-Res - fixed particle lights
- Fixed hitching on weapon change
- Fixed NVIDIA Surround crash
- NVIDIA Surround now works in fullscreen window mode
- Fixed photomode UI when NVIDIA Surround or AMD Eyefinity is enabled

Multiplayer fixes:
- Fixed the shop menu not being closed when client is teleported to a boss fight
- Ancestral Ties: Fixed panic room door not being destroyed after cutscene
- Ancestral Ties: Fixed Heika being stuck in one pose after a client joined the game
- Fixed portal visibility before defeating the first boss
- Minimap chest icons will not disappear when the host opens them
- Fixed performance issue for co-op partners

nilbog21

Banned
man, I just can't get enough of this time.. so much creative freedom and freedom of movement.. when are we getting DLC???

Calabi

I was just playing and I'm sure they've done something to the performance I was getting max fps 135(limited with riva tuner), with drops only during action, and I never got that before. Maybe it was just the level or something.

Anyway I've completed it, only took about 30 hours. When that song came on it was great. I enjoyed it a lot, I might have a play on a higher difficulty.

nded

man, I just can't get enough of this time.. so much creative freedom and freedom of movement.. when are we getting DLC???

Apparently there will be a free "challenge mode" that will feature new missions and weapons, including the Nobitsura Kage from the first game. No idea when it's coming though.

Top Bottom