• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 |OT| A ninja knows no fear

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Although I recommended this game, it has very serious flaws and the more I play it, the more I hate them. It's almost as if FWH never asked the fans what they want to see in the sequel, they just completely changed the focus because of an assumption (I presume) that looter shooter mixed with co-op and bullet sponge enemies will make the game better, not to mention that they've also added a bunch of useless and unnesseresy shit. But when it works it is really REALLY fun game to play and you can probably eliminate if not all, but some of the problems by just playing at the very low difficulty level - I really hope you can, cuz for some of the people it can be the only option to make this game somewhat good for them or even really good.

Oh and, just in case If some of the devs reading this thread: For the love of god, next time do ask your fans to see what they want from the next game cuz it is clear as a fucking day that no one asked for a complete and drastic change of focus - no one!, but you changed the game drastically anyway which is not good. You can just do stuff like that and think that the fans will like this cuz it is not how it works at all.

Although I recommended this game, it has very serious flaws and the more I play it, the more I hate them. It's almost as if FWH never asked the fans what they want to see in the sequel, they just completely changed the focus because of an assumption (I presume) that looter shooter mixed with co-op and bullet sponge enemies will make the game better, not to mention that they've also added a bunch of useless and unnesseresy shit. But when it works it is really REALLY fun game to play and you can probably eliminate if not all, but some of the problems by just playing at the very low difficulty level - I really hope you can, cuz for some of the people it can be the only option to make this game somewhat good for them or even really good.

Oh and, just in case If some of the devs reading this thread: For the love of god, next time do ask your fans to see what they want from the next game cuz it is clear as a fucking day that no one asked for a complete and drastic change of focus - no one!, but you changed the game drastically anyway which is not good. You can just do stuff like that and think that the fans will like this cuz it is not how it works at all.

I liked the change in direction. Pretty presumptuous of you to speak on behalf of "the fans".

fwiw, SW2 is getting a 92% positive rating on steam, and SW1 has an overall 94% positive and recent 92% positive
opencritic puts sw1 at 75% and sw2 at 80%
metacritic sw1 is 73 and 81 vs sw2 81 and 91

great majority of fans seem to like it just fine

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is the loot much better on Hard? Any difficulty spikes?
The loot overall has been better, but I've definitely gotten more junk as well. You earn money faster and in general I really feel like I'm being challenged in the combat a lot more. The penalty for dying is almost so negligible it doesn't really matter though.

Although you can probably eliminate if not all, but some of the problems by just playing at the very low difficulty level

My biggest gripe with the game so far was how easy it was on Normal. Not sure this is really the right move. I can't imagine how much of a cakewalk Easy must be.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I liked the change in direction. Pretty presumptuous of you to speak on behalf of "the fans".
Well, I've seen a lot of reviews from the fans of the original who didn't liked this game and a complete change of focus. But obviously I'm not in a position to speak on behalf of all of the fans and... I never actually did that, I'm just saying that you need to ask fans before you change the focus of the game completely cuz.... maybe it's not such a good idea?

I kinda feel bad for not liking the original game all that much which just didn't grab me... I should play it more... and I will.

My biggest gripe with the game so far was how easy it was on Normal. Not sure this is really the right move. I can't imagine how much of a cakewalk Easy must be.
I'm playing the game on Hard and I must say that not regural mobs (which you can kill in 1-2 seconds) can be very annoying and tedious to fight cuz they eat a shit ton of bullets and when it comes to bosses... well, it gets even worse. But if the game is easy even on Normal, then the actuall Easy can be really good for those who hate looter shooters and everything related to them.

scitek

fwiw, SW2 is getting a 92% positive rating on steam, and SW1 has an overall 94% positive and recent 92% positive
opencritic puts sw1 at 75% and sw2 at 80%
metacritic sw1 is 73 and 81 vs sw2 81 and 91

great majority of fans seem to like it just fine

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Most of the feedback here is "it's a ton of fun but..."

Not bad by any stretch.

Well, I've seen a lot of reviews from the fans of the original who didn't liked this game and a complete change of focus. But obviously I'm not in a position to speak on behalf of all of the fans and... I never actually did that, I'm just saying that you need to ask fans before you change the focus of the game completely cuz.... maybe it's not such a good idea?

I kinda feel bad for not liking the original game all that much which just didn't grab me... I should play it more... and I will.

You did speak on behalf of the fans when you made the assumption that fans of the original would hate the change in direction. But even then I disagree with the notion that developers have to chain themselves to the whims of their fans, they are not obligated to make the exact game you want. If they want to innovate, let them.

In any case, this game reviewed better than the first so I'd say they overall made a step in the right direction.

I'm playing the game on Hard and I must say that not regural mobs (which you can kill in 1-2 seconds) can be very annoying and tedious to fight cuz they eat a shit ton of bullets and when it comes to bosses... well, it gets even worse.

I mean...that's kind of what a loot game operates like though. It's the classic rock-paper-scissors (although SW2 has four basic elements) mechanic. I don't mind how long it takes to kill some of the mobs, because they're like mini-boss fights. I guess it just doesn't bother me as much?

derFeef

There is something I do not like about weapon/enemy hit feedback, just like with the first one. Not sure what it is. But other than that it is great. Playing on the second to last diffictulty.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You did speak on behalf of the fans when you made the assumption that fans of the original would hate the change in direction. But even then I disagree with the notion that developers have to chain themselves to the whims of their fans, they are not obligated to make the exact game you want. If they want to innovate, let them.
That is not what I've meant at all. Look at what IO is doing with Hitman, they constantly asking feedback via official forum, e-mail etc. to make the game better without completely changing the main focus of the game and that is exactly what I've meant. But FWH never even bothered to do that just out of curiosity at least to see what fans think, cuz sometimes you actually need to do this believe it or not.

In any case, this game reviewed better than the first so I'd say they overall made a step in the right direction.
That is probably because of the majority of reviewers didn't actually like old school shooters or never even played many of them in the past, they like games like Borderlands, co-op games, modern stuff, and SW2 full of modern stuff. And it is clear as day that modern gamers will like modern stuff a lot more.

I mean...that's kind of what a loot game operates like though. It's the classic rock-paper-scissors (although SW2 has four basic elements) mechanic. I don't mind how long it takes to kill some of the mobs, because they're like mini-boss fights. I guess it just doesn't bother me as much?
Well, all of this works much and much better in Diablo style isometric games than in looter shooters, plus the loot, upgrades and stuff like that is a real piece of dull shit in this game imo. Really cool, fun gunplay, swordplay, a shit ton of gore, funny story, dialogues and toilet humor is the only things that are actually saving this game. If it wasn't for all of these things... I don't know if I would've liked this game that much.

Spinky

This is honestly probably my GOTY at the moment.

It's not perfect, and it's pretty buggy for me, but Christ it's so damn fun.

PnCIa

I played this game for ~8 hours now. It doesnt get better apparently.
Total Biscuit is on point here, unfortunately.

Vintage

Yes, no one. Great thing that you asked absolutely everybody and can answer for everyone.

I got bored with first one pretty fast, but I absolutely love this one. Open levels and loot keeps it dynamic. I didn't even plan on buying this game until I saw the gameplay.

also, " changed the focus because of an assumption (I presume) " - irony much?

derFeef

I think I am stuck/hit a bug?
I have to talk to the Master Smith but I can only answer with "I will come back later"
Very early on, after
Kamiko gets transferred into you

If they'd made this like the last one I wouldn't have bought it. Absolutely loving it so far.

Can't help but think of all the interesting ways they could expand this game with more investment and budget.

I think I am stuck/hit a bug?
I have to talk to the Master Smith but I can only answer with "I will come back later"
Very early on, after
Kamiko gets transferred into you

Double click on the quest.

mcz117chief

That is probably because of the majority of reviewers didn't actually like old school shooters or never even played many of them in the past, they like games like Borderlands, co-op games, modern stuff, and SW2 full of modern stuff. And it is clear as day that modern gamers will like modern stuff a lot more.

I have been gaming since early 90s and I still play DOOM and Shadow Warrior quite regularly so I definitely do like old school stuff, on the other hand I never enjoyed Borderlands at all. This game, however, is just straight up fun compared to stuff like Doom 4 or the new Wolfenstein.

its like they looked at the firs game and thought, "hmm what mainstream AAA trends can we put on the back of the box. open world procedural loot RPG elements online multiplayer narrative game...we got it boyz. The perfect sell-out sequel"

Very pretty, but ultimately shallow and mediocre.

derFeef

The chainsaw sword feels reeeaally good. This will be my go to sword weapon.
Item/upgrade elemt could be handled better via the ui, it's a bit of a chore to use.

heringer

That is not what I've meant at all. Look at what IO is doing with Hitman, they constantly asking feedback via official forum, e-mail etc. to make the game better without completely changing the main focus of the game and that is exactly what I've meant. But FWH never even bothered to do that just out of curiosity at least to see what fans think, cuz sometimes you actually need to do this believe it or not.

Well, all of this works much and much better in Diablo style isometric games than in looter shooters, plus the loot, upgrades and stuff like that is a real piece of dull shit in this game imo. Really cool, fun gunplay, swordplay, a shit ton of gore, funny story, dialogues and toilet humor is the only things that are actually saving this game. If it wasn't for all of these things... I don't know if I would've liked this game that much.

So basically, most of the game? :p

Level design, pacing and gameplay structure are pretty important. Both of which are lacking compared to SW1. Just look at how pointlessly large the maps are in single player, because they were clearly designed to accommodate up to 4 players.

Beardy

Did a NG+ Any% Speedrun for an IGT of 34:42

https://www.twitch.tv/beardyduck/v/95627907

There have been some changes since the run, mainly I overhauled my sword to big deeps and slotted a different weapon with +movement speed.

r00c2e8.png

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Totalbiscuit tore the game a new asshole.

I agree with all of his complaints, just that they bother me far less then they do him.

I like TB but I think the game is really good and a total blast to play so meh, he's entitled to his opinion but I don't agree with it. It's not perfect but it's pretty great and in a better condition than most games these days at release.

Those are some of the most subjective opinions I've heard in quite a while. Which have little merit or much to do with the actual game, more to do with what he expects from a game.
And this is a rather subjective post. A lot of the points he make are quite valid. The loot system is tedious as fuck to deal with (gives me flashbacks to Mass Effect 1), the level design is mediocre and the overall game feels far less focused than its predecessor.

It's a shame how the loot system becomes meaningless in the end game. It's as though as soon as you're able to start making some interesting combos The Arm of Orochi makes everything else irrelevant.

Rathorial

Level design, pacing and gameplay structure are pretty important. Both of which are lacking compared to SW1. Just look at how pointlessly large the maps are in single player, because they were clearly designed to accommodate up to 4 players.

I'd agree the levels are there to accommodate playing with multiple people, and the pacing is less controlled...but in no way do I possibly see how SW1's level design was better...because there barely was any "design" to the levels in that game.

I loved Shadow Warrior (2013), but the level design was barebones, boring, and sometimes just bad. So many areas were just flat arena spaces that got locked off until you killed all the things/found the key, and frankly blend together outside aesthetic changes. Level design would've dragged the game incredibly far down in my book, if not for the fantastic combat mechanics propping it up. It was an old-school shooter in a lot of good ways, but it didn't remotely touch the level design of early or late 90s FPSs.

SW2 actually discovered uneven terrain, verticality, more hidden areas, gave you abilities to use that terrain, and enemies aggressive enough to keep after you. It's not amazing level design by any stretch, but it actually altered how I would approach a combat situation, which the 1st game never did in a fundamental way. I don't see how it's not an improvement, and even in single-player just going to the objective marker will improve the pacing.

Skulldead

I agree with all of his complaints, just that they bother me far less then they do him.

One of the main complain is the pacing because of the loot systems.... and i think he is on point. I think the same thing. How much like the gameplay, the setting, the weapon variety, i think this overabundance loot upgrade system just kill it for me. I play on the hardest difficulty, so i have to use it. But i pass way too much time to check news loot, and sell it, manage weapon, etc. The level design is hurt by the fact they have to re-spawn enemies to get new lot. Also random enemies placement also don't help the level design at all. I still don't understand why they add all this loot system to this game...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished it and overall I really enjoyed it, it fizzled a little towards the end but I'd still give it 80/100. My biggest complaint is the very inconsistent performance which seemingly got worse further into the game, sometimes I'd have no issue running at 60+ during heavy battles and others I'd drop into the mid 40s, the same exact issue I had with Hard Reset so it's a shame they didn't fix it between games. The other issue was how easy it was, I played on normal but it felt like easy and it only got easier and easier, the final boss was a joke.

I enjoyed it more than I expected to and I highly recommend it, maybe give it a month as the devs are patching it up but it's very good now I just feel it will be better in the near future.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
The music playing while the credits roll sounds familiar, anyone know what track that is? I swear I've heard it before or something very similar to it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't satisfied with only one portion of Wang so I've started Shadow Warrior 1 which I picked up from a GAFer and I'm liking it so far, it's weird playing it after the second game but still enjoyable, it'll be nice learning the story so the second game will make more sense. Totally arse backwards but there you go! :D

120v

he makes solid points but it sounds to me like he tried to micro manage his way through the game. once he mentioned the need to switch elementals during battle it raised a red flag with me, yeah its something you can do but why would you want to play a shooter that way

loot in this game can be a flawed carrot to follow but it gets the job done with some basic planning. it doesn't interrupt the gameplay loop like he's playing up

nded

I started a fresh game in the hardest difficulty and ended up getting repeatedly stomped by a pack of superior serpentaurs. Maybe I'll stick to hard for now.

he makes solid points but it sounds to me like he tried to micro manage his way through the game. once he mentioned the need to switch elementals during battle it raised a red flag with me, yeah its something you can do but why would you want to play a shooter that way

loot in this game can be a flawed carrot to follow but it gets the job done with some basic planning. it doesn't interrupt the gameplay loop like he's playing up
I know on normal I didn't bother with elemental damage at all. Went for pure physical damage and did absolutely fine. I did also turn off the damage numbers, felt way more like the first game that way. Especially since the only damage spongy enemies on normal are the bosses, same as the first game.

JambiBum

Hopefully this doesn't get buried because it is near the end of the page, but does anyone else who plays co op run into problems where the frame rate will just drop for whomever isn't host? It doesn't seem to matter who is hosting in my group but at some point during a session the frame rate will just crash hard for the other two when in certain areas.

Bruno

Hopefully this doesn't get buried because it is near the end of the page, but does anyone else who plays co op run into problems where the frame rate will just drop for whomever isn't host? It doesn't seem to matter who is hosting in my group but at some point during a session the frame rate will just crash hard for the other two when in certain areas.

Pretty sure it happens to everyone that plays with 4 people. All 3 of my friends have INCREDIBLY beefy PC's (better than mine and I have a 980 Ti) and they sit at 10-15fps sometimes. It's hard for us to continue playing because of how terrible the game behaves when you have a full group.

JambiBum

Pretty sure it happens to everyone that plays with 4 people. All 3 of my friends have INCREDIBLY beefy PC's (better than mine and I have a 980 Ti) and they sit at 10-15fps sometimes. It's hard for us to continue playing because of how terrible the game behaves when you have a full group.

We don't even have a full group though. We're just a group of 3. I haven't tried it with less than 3 to see if it makes a difference though. Good to know it isn't just us.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yes, no one. Great thing that you asked absolutely everybody and can answer for everyone.
You can sure try and tell me who exactly asked for this drastic change. I'm sure that no one ever thought that there will be a sequel for 2013 game before it was announced.

I got bored with first one pretty fast, but I absolutely love this one. Open levels and loot keeps it dynamic. I didn't even plan on buying this game until I saw the gameplay.
Well, good for you.

75% of it, for me at least.

Top Bottom