• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 |OT| A ninja knows no fear

Adnor

Banned
Just got the chainsword.

It's a fucking Warhammer 40k chainsword. And now it burns enemies because I put fire runes to that thing.

It's amazing.

F878CB8534778F3EE0C64B2952DDCA1CFE1C3366

I'm getting kind of overwhelmed by the loot in this game, but fortunately they made the fantastic decision to not have an inventory limit. The fact that I can deal with the loot system on my own terms instead of having to fidget with an arbitrary inventory system feels so great that I'm kind of debating why any game has limited inventory space at this point. For 90% of games it honestly feels like something in place just because every other game in the genre has it.

Picked up this game since I wanted to try some HDR gaming out on my P75 (which is still waiting for an Xbox One HDR gaming firmware update).

It was kind of a pain to get working, I have to use a direct HDMI connection to my Radeon Fury X instead of a DisplayPort adapter, which means I have to sacrifice 120hz, but it's worth it. HDR for gaming is so awesome, especially at whatever seemingly minuscule performance cost.

Oh, and the game is fun too, so that's nice.

Is there even a crazy real benefit to crafting? Like if I combine fire gems into one will I get an insane fire gem, or just a slightly better one?

I'm curious because right now I'm at the point I have like a million bucks and I don't care to buy every weapon because I don't use every weapon, so I might as well start considering just using the money to craft, but if you're only going to get slightly better gems then....

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm coming to the end sadly,
he said once we start this mission there's no going back. I only have a few side missions plus that to do
. I really don't want it to be over, even the side missions are fun which is rarely the case. Usually I feel games last too long but hell I'd take a few more hours of this, it was the same with Doom, I guess if a game is this fun it doesn't feel like a chore past 10 hours. By the speed this thread is moving I feel like people are really missing out on a gaming gem, the devs should put out a demo so people can see how good it is like with Doom, after I played that demo I bought it straight away.

Lorcain

Just got the chainsword.

It's a fucking Warhammer 40k chainsword. And now it burns enemies because I put fire runes to that thing.

It's amazing.
Sweet Emperor of Mankind, I need that chainsword. Just when I thought this game couldn't get any better.

I think I'm coming to the end sadly,
he said once we start this mission there's no going back. I only have a few side missions plus that to do
. I really don't want it to be over, even the side missions are fun which is rarely the case. Usually I feel games last too long but hell I'd take a few more hours of this, it was the same with Doom, I guess if a game is this fun it doesn't feel like a chore past 10 hours. By the speed this thread is moving I feel like people are really missing out on a gaming gem, the devs should put out a demo so people can see how good it is like with Doom, after I played that demo I bought it straight away.

Stop temping me....I was able to hold strong over the weekend but Doom is some of the best fun I have had with a game in a long time -_-

I don't need another game to play with BF1 coming out this week. Must resist for now

Is there even a crazy real benefit to crafting? Like if I combine fire gems into one will I get an insane fire gem, or just a slightly better one?

I'm curious because right now I'm at the point I have like a million bucks and I don't care to buy every weapon because I don't use every weapon, so I might as well start considering just using the money to craft, but if you're only going to get slightly better gems then....

hmm, sorta? you can craft +15-17% elemental dmg +status effects gems with it. 3 of those and you'll have a 100% element of choice weapon with +45-50% base dmg and a decent chance of proccing status effects, which is quite handy. Especially if you run around with toxin/corpse explosion.

But it isn't ever really needed during normal, no. The gems you get from drops do just fine. Heck, push comes to shove, just pop fury and go to town with an ungemmed wep. Things will die mad fast just the same.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The combat in this game is pure sex.

Not having dash in a cooldown makes the fights feel very fast and responsive. Dodging enemy's projectiles with dash is satisfying as fuck.

Also surprisingly the melee combat is fucking fun for once in a fps, visual feedback when slashing shit gives melee combat added weight which is the problem with melee in fps, it always feels weightless. Not with this game.

Insane variety too, I have my shotgun with Charged shot mod, 2 shells per shot for added damage and with fire runes, it rips through everything.

I like how the enemies keep coming at you even if they have a hole in their belly. The visual feedback is so good.

Lorcain

What does the stat "Rate" mean on melee weapons? I was thinking that Rate=Attack Speed, but some of the larger weapons have the same rate as the small swords I've been using.

renzolama

Sweet Emperor of Mankind, I need that chainsword. Just when I thought this game couldn't get any better.

I stopped using the first chain sword after a couple missions because it seemed like during the big slowdown animations I was still getting hit hard by melee attacks from enemies at normal speeds. Is that just my imagination? I'd like to use the chainswords if I didn't think it was causing me to take more damage during melee combat.

Adnor

Banned
Neat little detail, Lo Wang walks on water but the rats don't, so it's harder to hit them if they're below water.

What does the stat "Rate" mean on melee weapons? I was thinking that Rate=Attack Speed, but some of the larger weapons have the same rate as the small swords I've been using.

Special move charge rate.

Swing speed is defined by type. Chainswords are slowest, longswords, either dw or solo, are average, and shortsword/claws/whatever are the fastest.

charge rate also follows the same pattern, mostly.

mcz117chief

Ehh, you saying it's your GOTY but two big things are not even as good as the first game. I would have hoped the story and characters would be even better, they are the main motivators in me continuing to play a game.

Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia 3, Deus Ex MD, Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Man I guess it's mainly big indie games that aren't disappointing this year (Inside, Thumper, Superhot, That Dragon Cancer, Hyper Light Drifter, Virginia, KR0 Act 4, etc).

The story is not bad, it just isn't as good. The fortune cookies are a minor problem though and the rune system isn't bad only some very specific things like the akimbo (which gets much better in late game).

Overall I like the game a LOT but like I said in my previous most, two steps forward, one step back, Shadow Warrior 2013 is still my favourite linear shooter on PC to this day (the only linear FPS I like more is Halo 3).

mcz117chief

I couldn't help myself, I must tell you guys. The hardest difficulty is actually super fun! You get a TON of good loot ALL the time from EVERYTHING and despite the fact that enemies have 90% extra hp they don't feel spongy at all. For example the first Zilla dude I killed dropped me the laser sword and the second one gave me Decker, a rabbit dropped me Yumi and chests hand out red mods quite regularly. I must say that it actually feels much more fun than normal. If you were to tell me that a few days ago that I said that I would laugh in your face really hard since I am the guy who always plays on normal and doesn't enjoy needlessly hard difficulties, however, this is straight up fun.

I definitely recommend it to everyone.

Lorcain

Special move charge rate.

Swing speed is defined by type. Chainswords are slowest, longswords, either dw or solo, are average, and shortsword/claws/whatever are the fastest.

charge rate also follows the same pattern, mostly.
Thanks, that makes sense.

This game is right up there with Doom for pure fun. When Wang yells his approval after I brutally lay waste to his enemies I can't help but smile. And this game has me smiling a lot.

Bought this over the weekend after watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look of it. It's insane how much Jason failed to cover in terms of mechanics and combat.

Game is really fun, but I had to start over on Hard because Medium offered me like zero challenge. If anything there isn't enough combat.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Bought this over the weekend after watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look of it. It's insane how much Jason failed to cover in terms of mechanics and combat.

Game is really fun, but I had to start over on Hard because Medium offered me like zero challenge. If anything there isn't enough combat.

Medium is definitely too easy, I felt the same way.

Sykotik

I'm enjoying the game but during co-op my buddy is experiencing the terrible performance bug. Makes us not want to play it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has anyone found a solid solution to limit framerate to 30FPS with no stutter/frame pacing?

I've tried every combination of DXTory, fullscreen, windowed fullscreen, half refresh, full refresh...

The closest I've gotten is nothing external and fullscreen window with half refresh set in game, but I still get pacing issues randomly.

This is on a 970.

mcz117chief

Has anyone found a solid solution to limit framerate to 30FPS with no stutter/frame pacing?

I've tried every combination of DXTory, fullscreen, windowed fullscreen, half refresh, full refresh...

The closest I've gotten is nothing external and fullscreen window with half refresh set in game, but I still get pacing issues randomly.

This is on a 970.

Why do you need 30fps on 970? I have stable 60 on ultra almost everything and I also have 970. Do you play at 4k res?

Well anyway, have you tried MSI Afterburner?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Seriously this is by far the best fps since bulletstorm
Man, I love Bulletstorm, and I'm sad that I disagree. I wanted this game to rock my world as well.

I still think Doom is a far superior game all around. It's not even remotely close for me.

SW2 is a beautiful game, at least.

mcz117chief

Man, I love Bulletstorm, and I'm sad that I disagree. I wanted this game to rock my world as well.

I still think Doom is a far superior game all around. It's not even remotely close for me.

Well for me it is the other way around. I grudgingly got through Doom 4 just so that I could say I didn't waste my money. Doom 4 is a major letdown for me while on the other hand Shadow Warrior 2 is (almost) everything I hoped it would be.

dark10x

Well for me it is the other way around. I grudgingly got through Doom 4 just so that I could say I didn't waste my money. Doom 4 is a major letdown for me while on the other hand Shadow Warrior 2 is (almost) everything I hoped it would be.
They are very different games so it's not that strange.

I just think the combat loop falls flat in SW2 (it feels like you're just chipping away at a life bar and focusing on DPS - like an MMO-ified shooter), I really dislike loot/quest systems in games these days, and I don't think the level design is very good.

Might be the most disappointing game of the year for me. It's just not what I want in a shooter - they turned it into Borderlands but with worse level design.

I think, at this point, I can just admit that I do not like the style of games that Flying Wild Hog makes. Shadow Warrior 2013 *ALMOST* got me but ultimately fell flat due to bad level design but I think Hard Reset is one of the worst shooters of the decade and SW2 feels like a step in the wrong direction for me.

I'm glad others are digging it.

I will say that the tech here is just fantastic. The game looks so damn good and runs very well. It's really a beautiful engine they've crafted here and I'd like to shine a spotlight on that aspect of the game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I'm having as much fun with SW2 as Doom, maybe more and it's not as short (I finished Doom in like 6 hours). I gave Doom 80/100, I could easily see myself giving SW2 80 - 85/100, we'll see when I finish it.

Lorcain

Might be the most disappointing game of the year for me. It's just not what I want in a shooter - they turned it into Borderlands but with worse level design.
I know it falls in the first person shooter genre, but for me it's more of a first person melee with shooting as a back up. I wouldn't enjoy it as much either if I tried to play it as a traditional shooter. In that case, Doom would be better.

As a melee first game it's been really good. I do get the knock on too much loot, but on normal it doesn't really matter that much. I think you could play without any mods installed and still kick ass.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I got bored of Doom honestly, the forced arenaesque set pieces just wore thin 3/4 into the game.

The combat in this is way more enjoyable for me.

I think Doom is the more polished combat experience, but SW2 is certainly the more interesting and varied. There's reasons to like both. I get the same kind of satisfaction from a well-timed Sting strike into a crowd as I did jumping from one glory kill to the next. You just feel so powerful.

I enjoyed the game but I don't see a point of the loot system in the game. By the time you're able to start getting some decent combinations going the game comes to an end and there's no need to go hunting for loot in a new game + because you're given the most powerful weapon in the game by far just before the last mission. Also I feel balance is heavily skewed towards melee.

I enjoyed the game but I don't see a point of the loot system in the game. By the time you're able to start getting some decent combinations going the game comes to an end and there's no need to go hunting for loot in a new game + because you're given the most powerful weapon in the game by far just before the last mission. Also I feel balance is heavily skewed towards melee.
Early on, melee is way better. But then the shotguns become insanely powerful. That and the Winchester Gauss rifle (forgot the actual name) for bosses becomes a winning combo. You can blow away mooks with the shotgun in 1 or 2 shots if you make use of the dash to get in close.

Also, the final boss was pretty fun. Music was on point.

heringer

Loving the game, but 4 hours in I'm considering restarting the game with the hard difficulty. Normal is far too easy. Does it get harder?

Some of these late game weapons have some pretty great perks. I've got an SMG that has gets free ammo reloads and a shotgun that has a 25% chance of restoring its clip on a kill (so I often don't even have to reload).

I haven't reached that far, but I have the shogun. Where its last shot has a 50% chance to do twice damage. So combined with the charged shot means I can do redunk damage with the last shot.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Loving the game, but 4 hours in I'm considering restarting the game with the hard difficulty. Normal is far too easy. Does it get harder?

It gets easier from my experience.

dark10x

I was perhaps too harsh on the game. There's definitely some good stuff here. Just had a bad session but, really, it's a good game. I don't like the progression and loot aspect but it's easy enough to overlook. I'll keep chugging through.

I think I've developed a violent reaction to skill systems and loot. I never found pleasure in them outside of actual RPGs, so it really rubs me the wrong way in a shooter.

I'm getting kind of overwhelmed by the loot in this game, but fortunately they made the fantastic decision to not have an inventory limit. The fact that I can deal with the loot system on my own terms instead of having to fidget with an arbitrary inventory system feels so great that I'm kind of debating why any game has limited inventory space at this point. For 90% of games it honestly feels like something in place just because every other game in the genre has it.

And now I'm interested again. Will buy the game soon. I hate loot systems combined with inventory limits. This way I can just pick up all the crap and only look at it after I beat a level instead of constantly sifting through garbage and comparing items.

mcz117chief

And now I'm interested again. Will buy the game soon. I hate loot systems combined with inventory limits. This way I can just pick up all the crap and only look at it after I beat a level instead of constantly sifting through garbage and comparing items.

There really isn't any fiddling necessary. Just order the gems by level and put the highest ones on your guns and sell everything else. You might not get the perfect stats but it is absolutely not necessary to have them. Occasionally I found myself with a weapon without gems and I didn't even notice until after the mission. The gems are there primarily for the min/max fanatics and to put elemental damage on weapons, so, as long as you have at least one weapon with each element you don't have to bother with them at all.

There really isn't any fiddling necessary. Just order the gems by level and put the highest ones on your guns and sell everything else. You might not get the perfect stats but it is absolutely not necessary to have them. Occasionally I found myself with a weapon without gems and I didn't even notice until after the mission. The gems are there primarily for the min/max fanatics and to put elemental damage on weapons, so, as long as you have at least one weapon with each element you don't have to bother with them at all.

Yep. And just recognizing the rock, paper scissors elemental relations ships. i.e. - toxic enemy (which is obvious based upon their aura) is susceptible to electric. Fire to ice. etc....

Top Bottom