• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 |OT| A ninja knows no fear

Anteater

do you unlock more special moves? like the launcher from the last game and shield, etc

Huge fan of SW 2013 here.
Huge believer that the new features would make its formula shine.
I'm two hours in and so far I'm not feeling it.
I was sure that it was going to be the best SP FPS of 2016, now it risks to turn in my biggest disappointment.

I'm early on too but I'm still optimistic, although this feels more borderlands than Shadow warrior 2013

120v

i've been playing this all night and all morning. most fun i've had in awhile. as for the changes... it's really about preference.

if you're looking for a linear old school FPS this isn't really what this is. my only real complaints is the maps can be a real pain in the ass to navigate sometimes. loot scaling so far is a little eh but fine enough

PnCIa

Huge fan of SW 2013 here.
Huge believer that the new features would make its formula shine.
I'm two hours in and so far I'm not feeling it.
I was sure that it was going to be the best SP FPS of 2016, now it risks to turn in my biggest disappointment.
Huge fan of SW2013 here as well. I am not feeling it, too :-(
Maaaaaybe it needs more time, i am like 5 hours in, but it reminds me so much of Boderlands.

do you unlock more special moves? like the launcher from the last game and shield, etc

I'm early on too but I'm still optimistic, although this feels more borderlands than Shadow warrior 2013

I'm five hours in and it still feels booty with the loot system. Really tired of stopping after every fight to check gear because it ruins the pace.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm five hours in and it still feels booty with the loot system. Really tired of stopping after every fight to check gear because it ruins the pace.

So don't stop. The world won't end if you don't immediately socket that extra .05% damage upgrade the moment you pick it up.

Just go through your loot between missions.

mcz117chief

So don't stop. The world won't end if you don't immediately socket that extra .05% damage upgrade the moment you pick it up.

Word. The game is absolutely phenomenal. 22 hours in two days for me, this is THE game of the year for me. I don't think I will enjoy any other game this year as much but I still have very high hopes for World of Final Fantasy.

Anyway, the game is almost perfect. Some minor stuff bugs me but overall I totally love it. Biggest downgrade from 2013 are the fortune cookies, now it feels like the devs just took some random (and mostly stupid) quotes off of brainyquote.com and called it a day. Even though the fortune cookies in the original and 2013 repeated very often at least they weren't some stupid "philosophical" quotes meant to sound smart, wtf was the idea behind that I don't know.

I'm on normal and it's a lot more than .05 percent. The loot itself is actually pretty decent, and saved my ass in a few fights in the beginning.

The alternative is to either stop after you get the loot, or wait and venture through a terrible UI to clean out your shit. It's cumbersome and annoying. I actually prefer doing it after a major fight because doing it at the end of a level is a painful thought.

Much of this would be mitigated with either auto junking options on pick up, the option to see what you are picking up prior to doing so stat wise (some come in different colors, but that isn't enough for those who want to just glance and move on), cursor memory, and some other QoLs. I honestly don't know if those would fix it - the loot system is simply not fun for me because the actual moment to moment gameplay is so much fun.

After being burned by Mafia 3 hype, I kept my expectations at a minimum but hearing all the positive feedback has definitely got me wanting to play.

mcz117chief

I'm on normal and it's a lot more than .05 percent. The loot itself is actually pretty decent, and saved my ass in a few fights in the beginning.

The alternative is to either stop after you get the loot, or wait and venture through a terrible UI to clean out your shit. It's cumbersome and annoying. I actually prefer doing it after a major fight because doing it at the end of a level is a painful thought.

Much of this would be mitigated with either auto junking options on pick up, the option to see what you are picking up prior to doing so stat wise (some come in different colors, but that isn't enough for those who want to just glance and move on), cursor memory, and some other QoLs. I honestly don't know if those would fix it - the loot system is simply not fun for me because the actual moment to moment gameplay is so much fun.

Loot scaling is very very slow. I'm at 90% completion and only few things so far added more than 15% extra damage which isn't all that much. Once I equipped a weapon without any runes on it and I didn't notice until the end of the mission.

The way I do it is I just order the mods by lvl and junk anything that doesn't look interesting, then I quickly replace lower level mods with higher level ones and I'm done. Even with a 100 mods I can be done with them in about 2 minutes.

edit: rofl, I am having so much fun that I totally forgot about skill points and now I noticed I have 14 left unspent :D

dochuge

Anyone try this on an i5 Alienware steam machine or something similar? I'm not expecting to jack up the visuals I'm more concerned about playability.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
This game is incredibly fun, and some of the best gunplay I've experienced this year. Imo it's on par with Doom in that department. The cheesy toilet humor and dick jokes don't disappoint either, but maaaaaan I miss Hoji.

This game will consume my weekend.

Yarp, 10h in, this is no 30 dollar game. Only action fps as fun and fast as it this year is doom, and even doom is slower if you use dash on the reg/upgrade move speed.

There's a *very* good reason why auto-junking wasnt implemented, and you'll find it later in the game. If you aim at something for a bit, it'll show the stats, fwiw. I know for sure that it works for weapons. Never tried with gems.

but seriously, if you're playing on normal, the game is balanced in a way that even without the use of gems you can kill everything with ease. if it bothers you, ignore it.

Also, don't sell your gray gems.

Having played a few hours, it all just feels a little too aimless. The levels aren't paced at all thanks to the procedural generation, but more importantly, I don't feel like the combat encounters have been especially interesting. It's not so bad since the shooting and movement mechanics feel quite nice, but it always seems like I'm just running around in circles and shooting in the general direction of enemies. While that may be what you do in a lot of shooters, the better ones like DOOM 2016 made me feel like every encounter had a lot more going on, not to mention far better pacing between each one.

It's fun, but I think it's lacking craft.

Also, is anyone else having as much trouble climbing buildings as I am? Maybe I'm timing my jumps incorrectly, but either I awkwardly just make it or I slam my face against the underside of the ledge and fall to the ground. During a few encounters in the housing district I found it nearly impossible to move gracefully on the rooftops.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Soooo...you may want to prioritize maxing out Serene Mind. The Chi regen at max level is insane. It's basically free infinite Chi attacks. The final upgrade costs 10 points but it's definitely worth it.

Also, if you're like me and decided to use the preorder Razorback instead of the chainsaw at first, you may want to re-consider. The chainsaw is great, and the manual control with right mouse is incredibly fun.

Yea max serene mind is insane and is mandatory on hard for the basically free infinite healing.

Harp

This may have been said already. But if your using HDR and the the picture looks washed out. Turn down the gamma in game a little bit, and the colors will pop, I set my to .75 from 1.

Corpekata

Banned
Game seems to be doing well. It's peaked at 12k+ players (right now actually). Likely to peak even higher later today. In contrast, the first peaked at 2k. Granted a big factor in this is the co-op obviously.

What's your qualification for good? I've found even the starting katana to be just fine, especially with a few upgrades slotted in.

I could be wrong, but I think Coriolanus was saying it's worth more than $30.

like a yellow name one.
Hell i dont even have a blue one.

on the hand, i have plenty good dual wield melee weapons.

mcz117chief

Well, I just finished it. The final boss battle is great but the ending itself is basically "all right, and now let's...the end". So sudden and unfulfilling, even more than Doom 4's ending. Either they plan to make a dlc episode or Shadow Warrior 3.

A shame there are no shurikens in this game, Lo Wang loves shurikens :(

Joyful

Well, I just finished it. The final boss battle is great but the ending itself is basically "all right, and now let's...the end". So sudden and unfulfilling, even more than Doom 4's ending. Either they plan to make a dlc episode or Shadow Warrior 3.

im going to guess the pc version will get some sort of content update when the console versions release

just speculation tho

mcz117chief

im going to guess the pc version will get some sort of content update when the console versions release

just speculation tho

Here's hoping, it really ends out of thin air. I was even waiting for the full credits to end to see if there was some post credit scene but nothing.

Manatox

So far i found it much more fun then the first game. Really liking it.

It scared the hell outta me when
a Bunny i shot suddenly turned into a huge mini boss with music changing and all
o_O

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about 3 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. Great voice acting, good humour, extremely fast combat that's a lot of fun, huge variety of weapons and it's a really good looking game during gameplay (cut scenes are ugly due to the models). Best of all it actually works straight out of the gate, no major technical issues that I've run into which is always nice. If you enjoyed Doom you'll enjoy this, it's basically the same game with more Wang.

nded

I'm loving the game so far, but the upgrade system does feel too fiddly for its own good sometimes. Especially if you're a compulsive min/max kinda player.

Any tips on crafting? i.e., should I sell my low level gems and craft high level, or craft my low level gems to make them better? Is there any way to be certain about the type of gem you'll get, or is it really just a random higher level one?

I have no idea what I'm doing with gem crafting, but I've gotten yellow gems and I think even an orange gem just from crafting high level greys. Using blues and above might offer better odds, but they cost more to fuse. You can also fuse different "types", as in fusing weapon and element gems.

Liking it so far, though I'm not a fan of the loot system. Didn't keep up with media pre-release, so it was a surprise for me. Messes with pacing too much. Game's good overall, but doesn't feel as tight as SW 2013.

Also, fighting human enemies was kind of a let-down. I loved the fights we got at the start of SW 2013, and was hoping for more of that. But it's not on that level.

Anteater

yea even with those loot stuff, I'm still enjoying the game, the design and controls are still very shadow warrior 2013 with improvements, I really need more katana moves tho, screw the guns :p

Game seems to be doing well. It's peaked at 12k+ players (right now actually). Likely to peak even higher later today. In contrast, the first peaked at 2k. Granted a big factor in this is the co-op obviously.

pc gamers really dig this type of games I think, loot+coop, and not a total disaster on controls, if those elements are actually good and has some sort of longevity it'd probably do super well

Joyful

Checkpoint for when you die.

Edit: When does the gem crafting unlock?

Just got Kamiko's notes for reference.

eventually you will get a quest that warns you its a point of no return, that is the mission when after you can craft

I'm really impressed with how different each environment has been.

Gonna try co-op soon and hope it's not shit.

How does content scale if I'm a pretty far into the game and a friend is just now starting?

Anteater

Yeah, I'm enjoying the game, once you get into killing stuff it's a hell of a blast, I'm doing fine with the 3-4 weapons and I didn't put too much thoughts into the mods and it's cool, I'll probably just organize my inventory after each mission

My friend and I are loving it (we wish our other two friends would join us so we could 4way co op but whatevs)

question whats up with co op partners not being able to craft in the forge when you unlock it? Is it a glitch?

Top Bottom