• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 |OT| A ninja knows no fear

Spinky

Just finished. Absurdly fun game, really loved it. About to begin New Game+, although I'm pretty miffed 'cos I didn't get to pick up all the loot for beating the final boss. Activated a cutscene that I didn't know wouldn't let me go back. So yeah, that fucking sucks.

EDIT: Oh hey, you can load backup saves.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

anthraxus

Banned
Shame about the Borderlands/Diablow influences with this one. Not exactly what I'm looking for in a supposed OLD SCHOOL shooter.

scitek

Shame about the Borderlands/Diablow influences with this one. Not exactly what I'm looking for in a supposed OLD SCHOOL shooter.
Then go play something else. We knew about this new direction for months. It's really a shame people like you can't enjoy old school and modern shooters alike, but keep bitching.

anthraxus

Banned
Did they ever actually say this game in particular was going to be "old school"?

Idk, haven't followed this one before it came out, so maybe not, but I know they did with the last one. Thought they would just build on that, instead of adding that other stuff.

Finding around with menus isn't such a good idea for a fast paced shooter though.

Beardy

Idk, haven't followed this one before it came out, so maybe not, but I know they did with the last one. Thought they would just build on that, instead of adding that other stuff.

Finding around with menus isn't such a good idea for a fast paced shooter though.

I mean, this is the very definition of "building off" of the previous game.

Maddanth

Yes, they were. There's at least two of us here, counting myself, that has access to review copy. Have zero fear, this game is quality! Up there with DOOM in regards to sleeper hits of 2016

Very good to hear. I really enjoyed first one as well so in pretty sure I'll like this one. They have shown allot of footage which is usually a good thing. Is this getting a ps4 pro patch?

anthraxus

Banned
I mean, this is the very definition of "building off" of the previous game.

I guess if you like that kind of stuff. I was never into the lewt whoring games much, as it's so unsatisfying getting new weapons/items when upgrades are so constant, dull and minor.

Is this any different in regards to this aspect ?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
After finishing the second game then playing some of the first I definitely miss a lot of the features and QoL changes they made, I'm not sure why they would garner any hate, improvements all around IMO.

DrSlek

I like the game, but it's nowhere near as good as SW13 for me. The most jarring problem I come across is confusion in the narrative. The
paparazzi side-mission
makes this glaringly obvious. When I reported back to the quest giver, I gave him information that I'm pretty sure I didn't obtain during the mission or cutscenes.

Edit: Also Kamiko's model and animations could have used a lot more polish.

Corpekata

Banned
I guess if you like that kind of stuff. I was never into the lewt whoring games much, as it's so unsatisfying getting new weapons/items when upgrades are so constant, dull and minor.

The general stat upgrades, no, but the weapons / abilities are all pretty substantially different. It's not "I got shotgun+1" generally it's "I got an automatic shotgun" type for weapons so you're more or less constantly getting a new toy to play with that feels different, unlike most other loot games.

David___

Banned

Each gun I've gotten so far all feel radically different from each other. Its not like Borderlands where its a different gun as in "this one has 2 more damage than the last one." All of them are different models with a unique reload animation and feel. The only part that fits the Borderlands description is the gems.

After finishing the second game then playing some of the first I definitely miss a lot of the features and QoL changes they made, I'm not sure why they would garner any hate, improvements all around IMO.

Yarp. Finished sw1 today. Only area where it is better than the sequel is the story.

nded

Each weapon has some thought put into their aesthetic and function. It's more like Dark Souls loot rather than Borderland's mountain of randomly generated guns that mostly look the same.

Rathorial

Each weapon has some thought put into their aesthetic and function. It's more like Dark Souls loot rather than Borderland's mountain of randomly generated guns that mostly look the same.

Pretty much, they did consciously advertise 70+ guns, rather than "INFINITE".

I kind of prefer it that way, where the guns have more of an identity, don't become dramatically outdated, and you just slot in stuff to keep them improving. I've been more encouraged to use new weapons, but also go back to old ones more than most loot-based games.

mcz117chief

I kind of prefer it that way, where the guns have more of an identity, don't become dramatically outdated, and you just slot in stuff to keep them improving. I've been more encouraged to use new weapons, but also go back to old ones more than most loot-based games.

Yeah I love that too. I hated how I had to shuffle through my guns constantly in Borderlands (which is why I dropped the game a couple of hours in) but here there is no need to unless you want to. You can easily play 4 or 5 missions before upgrading your arsenal. For example I made it through the game often using only the Devolver, Wang's Touch smg and the golden sword, the ones you get at the very beginning and I had no trouble.

This is a big point for me. Loving how mostly different the weapons are in terms of handling and looks. But even once I have all weapons I'll definitely go back to old ones and try them with different upgrade setups to make them fun and viable.

Free post-release content incoming.

“The first piece is the introduction of the first game’s ultimate katana and fan favorite, the Nobitsura Kage, into Shadow Warrior 2. Coming updates to Shadow Warrior 2 will include new missions and an ultra-hard challenge mode alongside new weapons, items, and co-op ninja characters.”

Also coming up with new things (and possibly due out any second now) is update 1.1.3.0. Shadow Warrior 2 game director Michal Szustak explains:

“We’re adding some new features like insane difficulty tiers, rebalance of some skills and drop system, better crafting and a lot of bug fixes, so it needs to be tested properly.”

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/10/21/shadow-warrior-2-free-post-launch-content/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Patch Notes: http://steamcommunity.com/app/324800/discussions/0/333656722971757395/
Balance and gameplay changes:
- "Serene Mind" skill nerfed
- "Auto-Reload" skill nerfed

- "Like the Wind skill" nerfed, 5th stage added
- "Second Chance" skill 4th stage added
- "Arm of Orochi" weapon significantly nerfed
- More auras on single enemy for Hard and Insane difficulties
- More enemies attacking at the same time for Hard and Insane difficulties
- Enemies speed increased for Insane difficulty
- Added 3 new ultra-difficult tiers for Insane difficulty with much better loot to find
- Upgrade drops quality now better reflects game difficulty - on higher difficulties better drops start occuring right from the beginning of the playthrough
- Added cap for gaining experience speed for every difficulty: after reaching certain character level player gets experience much slower, appropriate information added to difficulty description
- Fixed bug when player could get quest reward Skill Points more than once per quest per character. If character earned more than maximum number of Skill Points (level + all quests reward) - Skill Points will be capped
- Due to skills rebalance player will have all skill reset after map loaded - inventory will be automatically opened and message box will be shown
- Crafting result upgrade quality depends on source upgrades quality now, crafting price depends on expected result quality
- Final boss drop ("Ryuken" weapon) now available as final quest reward
- More special enemies, more respawns and better loot on Free Roam missions
- Elite and Superior enemy "Hellhound" won't fetch grenades now

General fixes:
- Fixed bug when player could pickup "King Skelletor" weapon before designed mission
- Gauss rifle shot tuned down and smoothed, added alternative reload animation
- Fixed bug when dual melee secondary weapon didn't inherit primary weapon stats (elemental, damage etc)
- Fixed weapon being removed from inventory when spawned as turret on map change
- Fixed "Destroyer of Realms" weapon turret throw animation
- "Damage resist" player stat now works properly
- Fixed "Second Chance" skill bug when player couldn't die even if none enemy was killed
- Fixed bug when player frezees or looses weapon when damaged or killed during teleporting
- Enemies with "Swift" aura now return to correct speed after unfreezing
- Fixed "Belly" enemy animation when reacting to Grip of Darkness
- Fixed entering T-pose for enemies with uzi.
- Some cutscene fixes
- Some walkmesh fixes
- Some missions fixes

UI changes and fixes:
- Fixed crash when replacing gems in weapons
- Fixed bug when player couldn't replace gem when all slots were occupied
- Hint area on loading screen now resizes correctly
- Added option to sell all junks with mouse, added confirmation dialog
- Corrected various translation and textual errors, added missing strings
- Fixed enemy "Tumor" mesh in Wanglopedia.

Multiplayer fixes:
- Performance issue for co-op partners fixed
- Fixed bug when "Bunny Lord" didn't drop loot for clients
- Co-op network bandwidth usage optimizations
- Fixed bug when using "Emperor's Touch" weapon produced excessive lags
- Fixed issue when client was not able to open Inventory or change weapons when using teleport during (or directly before) cutscene

Engine fixes:
- Fixed bug when game freezes on loading on 2-core CPUs
- AlienFX is now by default disabled due to crashes on some configs (add -alienfx to properties->general->set launch options in order to enable it)
- Added -nochroma switch (add -nochroma to properties->general->set launch options in order to disable Razer Chroma)
- Fixed shadow and geometry flickering
- Fixed recovering from GPU driver crash
- Non persistent console commands (e.g. r_weapon_fov) can now be loaded from autoexec.cfg
- Fixed crash when mfplat.dll is not present in system
- Optimized weapon switching CPU performance
- Fixed "DX11 Device not found" error on some notebooks
- HDR Display options are now only available when Full-Screen mode is selected (as only in this mode HDR Display works)
- Reduced audio stuttering (VO and music)
- Optimized shadow rendering performance
- On first game start dedicated GPU will be enabled instead of an integrated one

Photomode fixes:
- Increased exposure slider range
- Fixed slowmo after exiting photomode bug
- Fixed screenshot rendering (tile mode and anti-aliasing)
- Fixed FOV when entering photomode with weapon zoom enabled
- Fixed tiled screenshot mode artifacts (screenshot resolution multiplier > 1 screenshots)

Welp my whole build just got wrecked.

Beardy

I'm not really liking these balance changes.

They double dipped on nerfing Arm of Orochi on a knee-jerk reaction to the casual crowd by both decreasing the base DPS significantly (It does only 33% damage per Force Slash instead of the 100%) as well as significantly increasing health on monsters in the new difficulty tiers AS WELL AS giving a majority of those same monsters physical resist/immune, meaning you do shit all with the sword now.

There's also the case where I'm level 69, yet I can only have a handful of skills to put points into, and by the time I reach the "max" level (96, because exp caps out at 999999 or whatever) I still won't have enough to max out all the skills.

Enemies are now more resistant than ever in difficulties above Hard, fulfilling the wrongful complaints that enemies were bullet-sponges by making them actually bullet-sponges now.

They also haven't fixed the bug where if you dash into a ledge you can get sucked into the rock and get stuck there, nor have they fixed the bug with the cutscene where you obtain the Blade of Exile, where if you're holding a button when the cutscene triggers, you won't be able to skip it.

mcz117chief

I'm not really liking these balance changes.

They double dipped on nerfing Arm of Orochi on a knee-jerk reaction to the casual crowd by both decreasing the base DPS significantly (It does only 33% damage per Force Slash instead of the 100%) as well as significantly increasing health on monsters in the new difficulty tiers AS WELL AS giving a majority of those same monsters physical resist/immune, meaning you do shit all with the sword now.

There's also the case where I'm level 69, yet I can only have a handful of skills to put points into, and by the time I reach the "max" level (96, because exp caps out at 999999 or whatever) I still won't have enough to max out all the skills.

Enemies are now more resistant than ever in difficulties above Hard, fulfilling the wrongful complaints that enemies were bullet-sponges by making them actually bullet-sponges now.

They also haven't fixed the bug where if you dash into a ledge you can get sucked into the rock and get stuck there, nor have they fixed the bug with the cutscene where you obtain the Blade of Exile, where if you're holding a button when the cutscene triggers, you won't be able to skip it.

Mate, either I read it wrong or you are but auras are not immunities but rather elemental effects like fire and such, right? Also, the thing about fixing the "walkmesh", doesn't that solve the issues with being stuck in geometry?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

This one is worth highlighting too :

- Due to skills rebalance player will have all skill reset after map loaded - inventory will be automatically opened and message box will be shown

Meaning most if not all of your skill points get dumped back into your pocket and you have to reassign all of that shit. I am on NG+ and have almost 70 ffs, and I can't remember what I invested into what. I love this game but this really pisses me off.

Beardy

Mate, either I read it wrong or you are but auras are not immunities but rather elemental effects like fire and such, right? Also, the thing about fixing the "walkmesh", doesn't that solve the issues with being stuck in geometry?

There certainly are monsters immune to physical and/or elemental damage. This was also true pre-patch.

And no, it doesn't solve the issue because it happened to me during a test run with the patch.

https://www.twitch.tv/beardyduck/v/96364562

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I had some performance issues during my first run through where I'd drop into the 40s for no reason that I could tell, most of the time it was buttery 60+, it felt like it was something to do with asset loading possibly so if anyone notices any performance improvements with the patch please let us know.

Angelina

Banned
Regarding the resistances there is a skill that decreases mobs resistances by x percent. There is also skills that increases it element dmg

nded

Is it me or are the weather and time of day effects being applied to the missions now instead of just Dragon Mountain? Playing through a second time and I'm getting sweet moonlit storms that I don't remember happening during my first go.

Is it me or are the weather and time of day effects being applied to the missions now instead of just Dragon Mountain? Playing through a second time and I'm getting sweet moonlit storms that I don't remember happening during my first go.

I definitely saw some rain in several missions before the patch, sounds like you were just unlucky with the random level generator.

120v

holy crap i totally missed that all skill points were reset. talk about a rude awakening when i loaded it up this morning. if this were any other game i'd have rage quit and probably uninstalled it

in the end it wasn't a huge deal but that was quite the buzzkill after looking forward to kicking back and playing all week

nded

Just when I think I got the hang of Insane difficulty, the game spawns seven serpentaurs during a boss fight.

nilbog21

Banned
can you not play the side quests after you finish the main line ?

guess ill restart on insane difficulty .. game was short the side quests should have been mandatory

Overall probably the best game of 2016. Bulletstorm meets Borderlands meets Doom. PC Gaming at its finest.

surprised how many weapons there are when the game is so short o_O

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
After this patch on harder difficulty levels the game became somewhat harder than before, but after just 1 mission it's cakewalk for me now on Hard. I mean there's still damage sponge mops (the ones with the shield icon) here and there, but other than that... very it's easy.

Blade of Exile is a fucking beast. I've added ice damage to it with huge freeze effect, vulnerability to chill and this sword destroys absolutely everything that doesn't have ice immunity or huge resistance to ice. This and Saw Blade is the best swords in the game so far and I've almost completed my first playthrough.

The levels now is extremely similar to one another and I'm starting to think that there's 4 or 5 unique levels in this game at best, which is a shame cuz... well, it's still a lot of fun to rip and tear, but not fun at all to do this on the same levels over and over again.

scitek

After this patch on harder difficulty levels the game became somewhat harder than before, but after just 1 mission it's cakewalk for me now on Hard. I mean there's still damage sponge mops (the ones with the shield icon) here and there, but other than that... very it's easy.

Blade of Exile is a fucking beast. I've added ice damage to it with huge freeze effect, vulnerability to chill and this sword destroys absolutely everything that doesn't have ice immunity or huge resistance to ice. This and Saw Blade is the best swords in the game so far and I've almost completed my first playthrough.

The levels now is extremely similar to one another and I'm starting to think that there's 4 or 5 unique levels in this game at best, which is a shame cuz... well, it's still a lot of fun to rip and tear, but not fun at all to do this on the same levels over and over again.

You reference DOOM, but half of that game's levels were practically interchangeable and looked nearly identical.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You reference DOOM, but half of that game's levels were practically interchangeable and looked nearly identical.
I've zero complaints about DOOM's levels - DOOM has 100% unique levels even though they look similar but only in terms of art-direction and overall architecture and you can't build anything and make absolutely every aspect look unique in terms of art-direction and architecture, but you can make levels unique in terms of design, object placement, paths and little things here and there to make every levels look distinct from others - hangar, foundry, plant, lab, living quarters, administrative building etc. and DOOM has exactly that, every level has appropriate look based on structure's practical purpose. In Shadow Warrior 2 on the other hand I'm seeing the same levels over and over again with the exact same design, object placement, starting points, paths etc. DOOM is perfect to me with the exception of Rune challenges and some of the challenges related to weapon upgrades cuz they distract you from playing the game and wasting your time on something much less interesting.

David___

Banned
Just finished it.

Couple thoughts re: the story:

It really was just abysmal honestly. Half the time I was like "why did this just happen" even though I was watching the whole scene and actually trying to pay attention

The banter between Zilla and Wang was a lot better and enoyable than Wang and Kamicko. Im now disappointed they didnt go with that pair for the game. Wouldve been better to have Wang play off a serious character other than someone who doesnt want to be there and is forever pissed she's there in the first place.

The game really just end out of nowhere. I was like
"Oh shit, a dragon." Then it just ate me for no reason at all and that was it.

The HDR implementation in this game is bloody fantastic, who'd have thought that this relatively low budget game would trounce the HDR in Gears 4! The change it makes to the lighting and look of the game is amazing, there's nothing quite like it when a game with little to no fanfare absolutely exceeds what you expect.

Top Bottom