• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaving-GAF, help me out please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks as though you have a great starting kit there. Just remember, when you're making a lather, to make very light vertical, horizontal or diagonal back and forth motions. Don't go in a circular motion or you will twist the hairs of your brush and that's no good.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip!

That brush is absurdly expensive. My wife loves makeup and considers it a hobby. She generally finds really quality brushes for cheap that are in line with expensive name brand ones. Anybody have anything like for wet shaving? I'm thinking about diving in, but I'm not dropping 40 bucks on a brush, because I know that it can't be necessary.

The Mason Pearson brushes run from $90 to $300 depending on where you buy them. That's crazy! I figure putting some good coin into a brush will give me years of use and good lather results. I'm cool with that. The entire set up is still cheaper than a years supply of Mach 3 blades

totowhoa

Banned
Thanks for the tip!

The Mason Pearson brushes run from $90 to $300 depending on where you buy them. That's crazy! I figure putting some good coin into a brush will give me years of use and good lather results. I'm cool with that. The entire set up is still cheaper than a years supply of Mach 3 blades

lol I never change my mach 3 blades. I just do that arm-sharpening trick and it works well enough for my cheap ass.. I refuse to pay out for some BS like that unless it's decent quality, which is why I'm looking to step it up. Paying out the ass for a brush though is not happening. For that much I'll buy my own horse and make 10 brushes, then I'll sell those and buy more horses and start a business.

I'm too busy for horses though

Sye d'Burns

Thanks for the tip!

Just keep in mind not to twist those bristles or mash the brush too hard into your cup/bowl/face or it will be a relatively short lived investment. If I could make a recommendation, I would plonk down the 10-15 dollars on a cheap brush, just to get your method down.

However you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new chore turned hobby.

I recently bought an Edwin Jagger de89l.

WckTt.jpg

Compared to my Merkur 34c (or HD):
- I find the tactile immersion to be worse (Guess I dislike the smooth chrome finish)
- The build quality seems also to be worse...somehow not as sturdy
But:
- It seem more gentle/forgiving while only giving me a slightly less closer shave

Overall I'm happy to have bought it.

/edit
thread needs to be renamed into |OT| of shaving like Don Draper

Giard

Would there be interest for an official thread? This one's name might be misleading, thought about doing a OP with lots of info for beginners and links over the weekend.

or it could just be renamed like Phantast2k says

ShaneB

Would there be interest for an official thread? This one's name might be misleading, thought about doing a OP with lots of info for beginners and links over the weekend.

or it could just be renamed like Phantast2k says

As much as I'd love my name attached to an OT of anything I wouldn't really update much. lol, so I'd be fine if you put together an elaborate post with all that good stuff as a basic information hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom