• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Carter was born December 4th: Happy Birthday to the GOAT Rapper Jay Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbkD6RWdKk

He's a man who goes by many names, his mother Gloria Carter named him Shawn Carter, and he chose to don the name Jay-Z himself.
Some call him H-to the Izzo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNXLqfsLBFk), while other's call him Jay-Hova or Hova or Hov (because his flow is religious according to this track:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu7mVmziZG8), or maybe you refer to him as S.Carter, which is also partly the title of an excellent mixtape by the "Young, Black, and Gifted" man (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IxV30SXo_U), though that young may be formerly as Mr.Carter turns 47 today.
And whether you refer to him by any of these titles, or by Iceberg Slim, Lucky Lefty, Jiggaman, Jaÿ-Z with the umlaut, or European Hov (Euro Hov is an iffy area), it's obvious that at this point the man's name/reputation precedes him.

Jay Z's name has become synonymous with success, the grind, wittiness, artistry, business (he's not a business man, he's a business, man), and money (too some's chagrin), along with many other positive, and not so positive (negative) things.
But before he was the titan we know today, before he was the man that went from "pauper to the president, because every deal I (he) made set precedent", Jay Z was just a boy born in the Marcy Project's of New York city, with a rocky road laid out before him that seemed shrouded in bleakness, and when that shroud was removed and he saw the roads forked path for himself, instead of taking the beaten path he carved out a new lane and paved the path for himself, as he say's on Renegade, he "drove by the fork in the road and went straight."

Now with all that said removing that shroud and travelling down the new path was a long process of 26 years, and along that path he saw his first murder at the age of 9, lost his father Adnes Reeves when he left his family after the death of his brother at the age of 11, and even shot his own brother during a conflict at the age of 12, amongst other struggles.

At school he was a quite/respectful and intelligent kid according to Jay himself, as well as an important teacher in Jay's life who told him that he was "kinda smart" in the 6th Grade:

"I grew up in the Marcy Projects in Brooklyn. Our classrooms were flooded. It was very difficult for teachers to give you one-on-one attention. And there was this one sixth-grade teacher named Miss Lowden. She must have seen something in me, and she gave me this attention and this love for words. It’s funny how it works, just a little bit of attention. She also took us on a field trip to her house, which opened me up to the world. My neighborhood had been my world. It’s the only thing I had seen. I saw a whole different world that day, and my imagination grew from there. I wanted that. I aspired to have that. The small things. She had an ice thing on her refrigerator. You know, you push it and the ice and the water comes down. I was really amazed by that. I was like, I want one of those. It’s true."
-Jay

"He never smiled, but when he did, he’d light up the room for me,” recalls Lowden vividly. “He was reading at the 12th grade level, and he was very needy, because his father had just left. He was a sweet, quiet kid. He was always standing near me. He was just so sweet and loved words…He told me he used to read the dictionary.”
-Jay's Teacher

But education wasn't the only factor in his school life, not only did Busta Rhymes go to his high school, but he battled him and won (according to both parties), and even traded bars with the legendary AZ (Biggie went to his school as well but they wouldn't become friends until much later).

Now with his father gone Jay had to step up and take a bigger role in the house, for his mother, and for his younger siblings, and that along with a hunger for the more materialistic pleasures in life pushed Jay out of high school and onto the streets where he was introduced by his (now former) friend De'Haven to "caine" and began doing small sales, but rap was always on his mind, and while out on the streets without a notepad he would memorize raps in his mind rather than writing them down, something that would later become a signature of his, as well as an activity that would be amplified when he became a drug mule (ala 99 Problems verse two).

While Jay was getting embroiled in the criminal life, he was also wading into the waters of what would later become his most lucrative career, music.
Partnering with neighbor, mentor, and (former) friend Jaz-O to form a duo, Jay was brought head first into the music industry, with the earliest known track he's recorded on being from 86.
Jay would witness the shady business tactics from a vantage point, see trends come and go, witness the rise of many a rapper, some who would become legends, some who would be forgotten, all while recording "classics" such as The Originators (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1thvEtGM5M), and appearing in cinematic masterpieces such as the Hawaiian Sophie video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emlDKySa8GE).

During this time his rap career (thankfully as his career would have died like many 80s artists) didn't pop off, and thus Jay returned to his drug dealing activities, gaining experiences that would give birth to many of the songs of his we love today, working with people such as his friends Ty Ty and Emory that are still with him today, and people such as Calvin Klein.

Eventually Jay decided to return to rap as a side hustle and began to make a name for himself through appearances on slightly notable tracks, and performing as clubs as well as battling in the underground circuit, and after appearing on a track "Can I Get Open" produced by DJ Clark Kent, his eye was caught by Kent who would go on to hound him to get out of the drug game and take rap seriously, which would lead to him becoming a better man.

And from there it was a steady path for Jay, notable battles against people from LL Cool J to DMX to Big L (who would go on to be a great friend of Jay's and major help in propping up his career), more connections being made, Big Daddy Kane letting Jay freestyle between his show between breaks, becoming friends with DJ premier who would eventually charge Jay 8,000 for three tracks instead of his usual 20,000-20,500 fee, and most importantly linking up with the two Co-Founders or Rocafella, Dame Dash, and Kareem Biggs Burke (Biggs also being a former big time dealer himself), who would go on to help build one of the greatest companies of all time.

With Dame's assistance Jay was finally able to get a record deal, everything he had ever wanted after being turned down and having his star power not believed in time and time again for years, but in an unprecedented move Jay spurned the deal, and with his two partners set out to carve their own path, making their own single and pressing it, selling it from the trunks of their cars, putting together a street team (most of whom are still at Roc Nation today) to promote and assist with the running of their new label, starting up the ground work for Rocawear, and so much more, all culminating in the release of Jay Z's first and greatest album Reasonable Doubt, which while not a massive success at the time (still was a success), would lay the groundwork for the start of one of rap's biggest legends career as well as much more for Hip Hop as a whole, and it was the child of three people who weren't satisfied with the slice of the pie life gave them and came back for seconds with an appetite for destruction, succeeded, and he's taken his family, his best friends/old crew, and us all along for the ride.

And he told you how it was going to go down from track 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGeDOx-CD8
"You ain't having it
Good me either
Let's get together and make this whole world believe us huh
At my arraignment screaming
All us blacks got is sports and entertainment, until we even
Thieving, as long as I'm breathing
Can't knock the way a nigga eating, fuck you even"

And track 11:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4YFc83nbI
"Do the knowledge, due to few dollars, I'm due to demolish
Crews Brooklyn through Hollis to a hood near you, what the fuck?"

In honor of this holy day, what are you favorite Jay Z tracks, any specific memories associated with his music, favorite lines/lyrical analysis, questions as to his history? Anything and all should go in this thread.

(FYI I don't believe he's actually the GOAT rapper because I don't believe there can be one, but he is my GOAT)

Young Jay Z:
15230634_1335722203125927_4801341726502224512_n.jpg

Young Jay Z, Emory, and De'Haven:
jay-z-de-haven-emory-jones.jpg

De'Haven and Jay would go on to have conflict, Jay disses him on his American Gangster album.
Emory was arrested in the late 90's, Jay shouted him out on many songs and made a track about him on his Kingdom Come album, and in 2010 Jay Z wrote to a judge to argue for his early release and when that was granted picked him up in a fancy car just as he had promised, Emory now works at Roc Nation.
Jay Z and Calvin Klein:
tumblr_n3mvkqp3521rrvheyo1_500.png

Calvin Klein and Jay both caught a case together in 89, Klein claims that he took the brunt of the charge so that Jay could continue his rap career, and the actual incident of arrest where they were pulled over by cops with guns out in Klein's car is referenced by Jay Z in his song Allure off of The Black Album.
Ummm. Why.
Because the GOAT deserves his own birthday thread even if it doesn't get many posts, it's a day to spread knowledge and appreciate Hip Hop.
And for Jay Z haters they can celebrate Ether like they do today every year.

Jay Z on the cover of the New Yorker:
JayZ_NewYorkMagazine-337x450.jpg

Jay Z, Dame Dash, Biggs, and Emory Jones:
damejaybiggs.png

Not sure if this is before or slightly after Reasonable Doubt.
Jay Z and Biggie:
7afdf35fc65f86e5df71b136406dad0d.240x320x1.jpg

Contrary to popular belief (mainly because this is what people want to believe so they can hate on Jay by saying he rode Big's coattails/wasn't that close to him/snaked Big, so they can discredit him easier), Jay Z was never under Biggie, they were connected by DJ Clark Kent during the making of Reasonable Doubt, Biggie had been a fan of his Dead Presidents record, and he liked the beat for Brooklyn's Finest so he asked to be on it, and from there they became fast friends/rivals with Biggie and they talked almost every day up until his death.
Biggie went out of his way to appear in the DP video with him, was the only non Bad Boy rapper he regularly shouted out, wanted to make a collab with him, called Jay while partying on the night of his death, would say Jigga was the future, and shouted Jay out by nickname in his last TV interview before his death right next to his mother and daughter.
Jay-Z, Ty-Ty, and Biggie:
tumblr_mjhlo9P56r1rrvheyo1_1280.png

Ty-Ty is Jay Z's cousin and one of his best friends and has a big positon at Roc Nation/played a big role in Rhianna's career.
Ty Ty also pepper sprayed R-Kelly for Jay Z back in 04 at Madison Square Garden.
You can hear references to Ty Ty all the way back to Reasonable Doubt, but also on more recent tracks like Success on AG or Oceans on MCHG.

Jay Z's excellent Tidal B-Sides concert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKr7dw7RalQ
I hear that Eminem murdered him on his own shit
I hear that people actually take diss lines and repeat them as if they actually mean something.
I also hear that people actually think that someone having a better verse than someone on a single track actually means something ,and I can't fathom what in any circumstance regardless of the artist because I don't see the logic.
Hov the gawd
Good day to be born.
Finally some positivity.

Great artist....basura after American Gangster though. Needs another watch the throne or some kind of collab to make him tolerable again.

Great artist....basura after American Gangster though. Needs another watch the throne to make him tolerable again.
His non Watch The Throne album's have been poor post American Gangster (which is my second favorite Jay album), though I do enjoy a lot of/about MCHG, but his features have been consistently top notch ever since his "retirement", and he has some great loosie tracks.

I hear that people actually take diss lines and repeat them as if they actually mean something.
I also hear that people actually think that someone having a better verse than someone on a single track actually means something ,and I can't fathom what in any circumstance regardless of the artist because I don't see the logic.

I hear that some people lack a sense of humour

Cedric

Because the GOAT deserves his own birthday thread even if it doesn't get many posts, it's a day to spread knowledge and appreciate Hip Hop.
And for Jay Z haters they can celebrate Ether like they do today every year.

It's time to move past that, they made up it's over, they're friends.
Though I'm not sure the video you linked is as bad as the video of Nas trying to lynch and burn a moving lifelike Jay Z doll at Summerjam.

Yo how much did Hova pay you for this I need that rap money as well

Fevaweva

Jay is the epitome of a rapper who I know is incredibly talented in every capacity (flow, lyrics, beat selection etc) but I could never get into. His voice just grates on me. Kendrick is the same.

The fact that people still talking about ether till now kinda shows how good a diss track it was. Not the best but still that and hit em up had me like woah everybody calm down.
Please stop derailing the thread.
And I'd say it shows more about people than the actualities of the track, but that's for another thread.
Edit: I'm going to sleep, hope this thread doesn't have a lot of trash I need to respond to when I wake up.

Huge shoutout to hov on his date of birth. Call Kanye like a man though.
Should Kanye not slander a man, his wife, and mention his child out of turn on stage then?
Of course I don't really care that Kanye did that because that's just the way I feel his emotions work and he gets help with that, but we don't know anything about who's wrong in the situation, so I prefer to leave it at that rather than just side with a guy because he wears his heart on his sleeve/emotionally shouts.
Btw Jay did call, then Kanye ranted about Jay calling him instead of flying through to see him, after which Jay didn't call him.

Skux

Love the guy. Not the greatest lyricist by any means but his delivery is just so much fun to listen to.

highrider

Banned
Jay is the epitome of a rapper who I know is incredibly talented in every capacity (flow, lyrics, beat selection etc) but I could never get into. His voice just grates on me. Kendrick is the same.

Same. His music is also probably the most thematically repetitive of popular rap artists. Ok dude, you got money and used to slang caine.. I get it.

Quick

Banned
Weighed in at 10 pounds 8 ounces, he was the last of his mom's four children, the only one who didn't give her any pain when she gave birth to him.

And that's how she knew he was a special child.

jay-z-roc-sign.jpg

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Weighed in at 10 pounds 8 ounces, he was the last of his mom's four children, the only one who didn't give her any pain when she gave birth to him.

And that's how she knew he was a special child.

jay-z-roc-sign.jpg

Camels average 36kg at birth.

Also camels can't be goats.

Matticers

I can't tell if this is a Jay-Z birthday thread or a Bounceounce defends every little thing about Jay-Z thread. It's kind of amusing.

Memphis Bleek alt account discovered.
Memphis Bleek is a loyal friend.
One day Jay was out scouting for someone to rap on Coming of Age, saw Bleek who he lived in the same complex as but wasn't friends with or anything, liked his walk/demeanor, and scooped him up, changing his life forever.
I'm not sure which was Memphis Bleek I has helped Jay throughout his career behind the scenes to make him so loyal (unless its really just them saying "till death do us part" on Comimg of Age), but he must have earned his spot as Jay doesn't reward laziness, and according to the both of them when Bleek stopped putting in work and was letting the success get to his head he was getting cut off.
Fun fact, Jay and Clark Kent let Bleek order some cheeseburgers for himself before recording Coming of Age, but Bleek overstepped and bought 12 so they sat there and made him eat it all before being able to record his verse.
images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom