• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Carter was born December 4th: Happy Birthday to the GOAT Rapper Jay Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matticers

Memphis Bleek is a loyal friend.
One day Jay was out scouting for someone to rap on Coming of Age, saw Bleek who he lived in the same complex as but wasn't friends with or anything, liked his walk/demeanor, and scooped him up, changing his life forever.
I'm not sure which was Memphis Bleek I has helped Jay throughout his career behind the scenes to make him so loyal (unless its really just them saying "till death do us part" on Comimg of Age), but he must have earned his spot as Jay doesn't reward laziness, and according to the both of them when Bleek stopped putting in work and was letting the success get to his head he was getting cut off.
Fun fact, Jay and Clark Kent let Bleek order some cheeseburgers for himself before recording Coming of Age, but Bleek overstepped and bought 12 so they sat there and made him eat it all before being able to record his verse.
images

fry-squint.jpg

That's kind of suspect.

And Bleek himself says it was six burgers. And he willingly wanted to eat them all before Jay told him to. But Nas's son Jay does tend to exaggerate things.

fry-squint.jpg

That's kind of suspect.

And Bleek himself says it was six burgers. And he willingly wanted to eat them all before Jay told him to. But Nas's son Jay does tend to exaggerate things.
Could have sworn it was twelve.
This is what Kent said:
"Bleek did it for cheeseburgers. He ate like twelve $1 cheeseburgers from Wendy's"
Also they both say he wanted to eat them all, that they were surprised when he just sat down and gobbled them down and then got up for his verse.
Edit: Coming of Age literally starts with:
"I got this shorty on my block always clocking my rocks
He likes the style and profile I think he want to mock
He likes the way I walk, he see my money talking
To honeys hawking I'm the hottest nigga in New York and"
And ends with them using a marriage line.
Of course it's suspect.

Detox

47 already? I count everyday he made past 20

BLn9JNX.jpg

Makes me smile like a proud dad watching his only son that made it.

Erv

I really think Jay has aged really well. Maybe because he is one of those dudes that never really looked young in the first place.

Exodust

Banned
Love the guy. Not the greatest lyricist by any means but his delivery is just so much fun to listen to.

LOL What?

When it comes to the rivalry I take Nas, but anyone acting like it's not due to preference and that they're both GOAT tier are idiots. Check out Reasonable Doubt A.K.A probably the best NY Mafioso rap album.

Went from having the NYPD's Hip Hop Taskforce after him to dinners/praise/assistance from the mayor and governor.
47 already? I count everyday he made past 20

BLn9JNX.jpg

Makes me smile like a proud dad watching his only son that made it.
How about you say one positive thing before the threads over.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Got nothing but respect for J. Reasonable doubt is a top 10 rap album of all time but I won't say he's GOAT

LOL What?

When it comes to the rivalry I take Nas, but anyone acting like it's not due to preference and that they're both GOAT tier are idiots. Check out Reasonable Doubt A.K.A probably the best NY Mafioso rap album.
I think one of my favorite parts of The Black Album is that it would be easy for someone to be carried by those beats/overshadowed, but Jay comes in on each track and goes hard.
Just when I think 99 Problems is all Rick Rubin you get something legendary/incredible like verse two.
Or when you get a beat as powerful as Public Service Announcement that could carry someone who's lackluster, you get Jay rapping and literally every line/bar is incredible/quotable in two short verses.
Not a fan of his recent output but I will always respect him for Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint.
Listen to American Gangster and TBA again.
Got nothing but respect for J. Reasonable doubt is a top 10 rap album of all time but I won't say he's GOAT
Not THE (there isn't one) GOAT.
But "a" GOAT? Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ePQKD9iBfU 15 years on and still so damn good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDDbEJAEIg
Just... vulgar.

And lmao @ GOAT rapper. GOAT rapper been washed up since AG dropped which was about ten years ago now.
One I said a goat, two his rapping is excellent on WTT and he has great verses on both BP3 and MCHG despite them both being lackluster, and even without that his features have remained the quality of his best material, along with his loosie tracks.
Still a GOAT.

Real talk all jokes aside I like Hov and wish him happy birthday. Him and Nas are good friends now so I'd be a fool to hold any animosity over a rap beef.

Nas still won though.

Brinbe

One I said a goat, two his rapping is excellent on WTT and he has great verses on both BP3 and MCHG despite them both being lackluster, and even without that his features have remained the quality of his best material, along with his loosie tracks.
Still a GOAT.

Thread title says THE GOAT though! WTT was okay, doesn't really hold up all that well now. Not like his other classics. Other than that, you would expect better from someone of his supposed stature, That being said, Hov's probably in my top 5 so it's all in good fun, Just like Nas Lost, Ether Day is simply a part of hip hop culture at this point. A fun throwback to that particular time in history.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Real talk all jokes aside I like Hov and wish him happy birthday. Him and Nas are good friends now so I'd be a fool to hold any animosity over a rap beef.

Nas still won though.

If Nas won the battle J won the war.
Both instrumental in shaping the culture.

If Nas won the battle J won the war.
Both instrumental in shaping the culture.
There is no war.
Jay just lost.
Thread title says THE GOAT though! WTT was okay, doesn't really hold up all that well now. Not like his other classics. Other than that, you would expect better from someone of his supposed stature, That being said, Hov's probably in my top 5 so it's all in good fun, Just like Nas Lost, Ether Day is simply a part of hip hop culture at this point. A fun throwback to that particular time in history.
I clarified at the bottom of the post that I meant "a" goat, but that didn't fit with a title.
I'll disagree with WTT.

a.wd

Amazing continuation of relevant content, the mans career will be looked back on 100 years after he is gone and his shit will still be relevant.

Top 5 Rappers of all time.

Reasonable Doubt is a classic.
TBA is a classic
The Blueprint is a classic
Vol 1-3 were good to great

Recent output circa 2005-current day...struggle shit. But no one can deny Jay has classics on deck.

Happy birthday Mr. Knowles. I'ma go through his entire* discography to mark the occasion.

*He stopped rapping in 2005.

Reasonable Doubt is a classic.
TBA is a classic
The Blueprint is a classic
Vol 1-3 were good to great

Recent output circa 2005-current day...struggle shit. But no one can deny Jay has classics on deck.

Happy birthday Mr. Knowles. I'ma go through his entire* discography to mark the occasion.

*He stopped rapping in 2005.
Yes you can, if you believe American Gangster is struggle shit theres no way you could have ever liked Jay.

Detox

Yes you can, if you believe American Gangster is struggle shit theres no way you could have ever liked Jay.
AG is amazing. I don't understand why it's skipped over. Jay should definitely work with The Hitmen again, they're great producers and he can clear their samples.

nns3d

Not gonna lie after hearing I Got the Keys and Drug Dealers Anonymous I'm pretty excited to hear a new Jay-Z album

Great artist.

I'm not going to give an all encompassing review of his career, but I just want to say that I've personally always had a soft spot for The Dynasty. I mention that specifically because it tends to get lost in the discussion of his catalogue.

This Can't Be Life and Soon You'll Understand are really important songs in his catalogue for me and the Intro is the greatest album intro ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom