• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

master15

A little more information on rewards

$1000
Get one of each of the following:

Hand Drawn Illustration by Kenji Miyawaki
Wristwatch (Blue)
Shenmue 1 T-shirt or Mousepad or CD Case

$2000
Get one of each of the following:

Wristwatch (Silver)
Wristwatch (Blue)
CD Case
Shenhua Figure or CD Player Case
Shenmue 1 T-shirt

$5000
Includes one of each of the following:

Wristwatch (Silver)
Wristwatch (Blue)
CD Case
CD Player Case
1/6 Scale Ryo Collectible Figure
Shenmue 1 T-shirt
Poster
Mouse Pad
Pen & Notepad or Desk Clock

Trojan X

Banned
I feel so sorry for Yu Suzuki. The man is one of the Gods of Gaming (the other God is Shigeru Miyamoto) and no one talented offers to help him in respect to the Kickstarter promotion (production will be fine as he got 50% of the key original dev team members). I know he is really trying his best within the resources he has access to. Worse part is that the whole KS proved to everyone that the market is 100% there for Shenmue and it has a huge potential to be absolutely massive, but talented and financially able people who want to see success are incredibly far and few in-between. It's almost like Michael Jackson, that guy was an absolute genius but you have stupid medias like The Sun that continuously slandered him on every article by calling him Wacko Jacko and ridicule him on every opportunity -only when Michael died the media referred to him as Michael Jackson. Fucking sickos.

At the last minutes, I think the KS will be successful but for an absolutely explosion, I hope SONY did all the analysis and came up with the conclusion to really fund everything and go all out supporting development and marketing Shenmue III as a AAA tier title.

213372bu

Banned
I feel so sorry for Yu Suzuki. The man is one of the Gods of Gaming (the other God is Shigeru Miyamoto) and no one talented offers to help him. I know he is really trying his best within the resources he has access to. Worse part is that the whole KS proved to everyone that the market is 100% there for Shenmue and it has a huge potential to be absolutely massive, but talented and financially able people who want to see success are incredibly far and few in-between. It's almost like Michael Jackson, that guy was an absolute genius but you have stupid medias like The Sun that continuously slandered him on every article by calling him Wacko Jacko and ridicule him on every opportunity -only when Michael died the media referred to him as Michael Jackson. Fucking sickos.

At the last minutes, I think the KS will be successful but for an absolutely explosion, I hope SONY did all the analysis and came up with the conclusion to really fund everything and go all out supporting development and marketing Shenmue III as a AAA tier title.

Wooooaaaahhh dude I think you need to take a breather or maybe a little rest.

It's not that serious.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Sony isn't going to do that. People need to stop wishing for that scenario to happen, because it won't.

There are really only the things to get this game the funding it deserves:

1. Better midrange backer rewards in the 79 to 150 dollar range.
2. Physical PS4 reward in midrange tiers.
3. Opening up more sources of funding. This includes PayPal payments and continuance of finding after the initial campaign. Total no-brainer on this front. We hardcore fans will get the funding past 10 million with no problem if we are allowed the time to do so.

That's pretty much it. People aren't going to increase their pledges based on a fancier KS page. Yu is also mum on the PayPal and longterm crowdsourced funding of the game because it could potentially harm the campaign if he does it too early, possibly saying "No rush, I can just donate later."

Why not announce it after the campaign ends? People will be elated and keep giving.

AAK

Yeah, I don't think Sony has ever fully funded a game for which they didn't have ownership of the IP. Just accept that at best we will get a Shenmue-Lite with a taste of what the whole game could have been with Baisha Village.

Sony isn't going to do that. People need to stop wishing for that scenario to happen, because it won't.

3. Opening up more sources of funding. This includes PayPal payments and continuance of finding after the initial campaign. Total no-brainer on this front. We hardcore fans will get the funding past 10 million with no problem if we are allowed the time to do so.

That's pretty much it. People aren't going to increase their pledges based on a fancier KS page. Yu is also mum on the PayPal and longterm crowdsourced funding of the game because it could potentially harm the campaign if he does it too early, possibly saying "No rush, I can just donate later."

Why not announce it after the campaign ends? People will be elated and keep giving.

People need to focus on this more. Is it possible to extend a kick-starter? If not and they offer PayPal after the kick-starter is over, how long exactly will we have to further donate? Will we be notified on the stretch goals even after the kick-starter is over?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm totally fine with delaying the production of the game if it means we will be able to reach 10 million in a few months time. We need to let them know that we would be happy to play the long game and wait for better funding before it's too late. 10 million is doable with more time

What do you guys think?

Erevador

So the PS4 disc version sounds very possible now right?
I think people will be very surprised how many people up their pledges for PS4 physical. Console gamers love physical copies.

Honestly, the PC physical copy doesn't feel like much of a draw at all because PC gamers are so used to going all digital. Most of them don't even want a physical copy at this point.

Bashtee

I agree, they need to do that, something like Patreon (just an example). At this rate Shenmue fan base will carry it alone towards the 10m within the next year.

Sorry about the Instagram, but wanted to share the pictures I took earlier when capturing. Still working my way through first game, though will probably finish and get to the second one late next week (after a special Rocket League production).

CIe-gNVUAAAfEIg.jpg:large

AniHawk

i guess sega owns the copyright to the first two games and thus any sort of modeling that went on in the games, including rigging and animation and the like, but i can't be the only person who would have been completely satisfied with a dc-looking game out of shenmue iii if it meant more time could be focused on the world building.

GavinGT

Banned
i guess sega owns the copyright to the first two games and thus any sort of modeling that went on in the games, including rigging and animation and the like, but i can't be the only person who would have been completely satisfied with a dc-looking game out of shenmue iii if it meant more time could be focused on the world building.

I can't find the source right now, but Suzuki said he has full access to the assets from the previous games. He just doesn't think much of it will be usable.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
All new rewards are totally sold out. Very impressive on the part of the fanbase.

Rabid fanbase + TIme + The assurance of older, more established people in careers and what not = willingness and financial ability to spend deeply on their loves.

Honestly, a few more of these incredible high end tiers would be guaranteed wins for the campaign, but they need more unlimited midrange stuff. Honestly, just duplicate each unlimited tier as is, add $30 bucks, and call it the Physical PS4 edition of that tier. Then, make the Physical PS4-only tier 70 or 80 bucks to cover the difference in printing discs, licensing, etc.

I would bet a substantial amount of backers would upgrade to the next higher package that included a physical PS4 copy, resulting in potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars just out of upgrades, nevermind the new backers who were waiting for a physical copy to begin with...

GavinGT

Banned
Just finished watching the Twitch stream. It wasn't nearly as bad as some were making it out to be. My only issue is that he still didn't give a concrete answer on how a "story oriented" Shenmue differs from a "fully open world" Shenmue.

Erevador

Just finished watching the Twitch stream. It wasn't nearly as bad as some were making it out to be. My only issue is that he still didn't give a concrete answer on how a "story oriented" Shenmue differs from a "fully open world" Shenmue.
People may think Yu is being cagey, but I honestly think he knows what he wants to achieve but doesn't want to make false promises. I think he's being a little vague on these things so he can really try to push and make the best game he can with whatever budget he gets. But he doesn't want to lie to gamers and say he can deliver something that ultimately is a feature which gets cut.

Rabid fanbase + TIme + The assurance of older, more established people in careers and what not = willingness and financial ability to spend deeply on their loves.

Honestly, a few more of these incredible high end tiers would be guaranteed wins for the campaign, but they need more unlimited midrange stuff. Honestly, just duplicate each unlimited tier as is, add $30 bucks, and call it the Physical PS4 edition of that tier. Then, make the Physical PS4-only tier 70 or 80 bucks to cover the difference in printing discs, licensing, etc.

I would bet a substantial amount of backers would upgrade to the next higher package that included a physical PS4 copy, resulting in potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars just out of upgrades, nevermind the new backers who were waiting for a physical copy to begin with...

I don't think a fuck you to the ps4 owners like this would benefit the campaign.

GavinGT

Banned
People may think Yu is being cagey, but I honestly think he knows what he wants to achieve but doesn't want to make false promises. I think he's being a little vague on these things so he can really try to push and make the best game he can with whatever budget he gets. But he doesn't want to lie to gamers and say he can deliver something that ultimately is a feature which gets cut.

I just want to know if "story-oriented" means "linear" or if it means "barebones open world".

Dremark

Banned

Story Oriented: Completely on rails, you walk through a tube from the beginning of the game to the end.

Open World: Large empty game area with nothing if any interest in it.

Pick your poison.

Erevador

I just want to know if "story-oriented" means "linear" or if it means "barebones open world".
I think it's fair to bet it means for a pretty damn linear game. Honestly, at the lowest budget levels I imagine something a bit like Life is Strange but with a little more interactivity and scope. That's what I imagine if the the Kickstarter hadn't gotten much beyond 2-4 million.

My hope is that if we reach 5-6 million we'll get near the scope of Shenmue I. Focused, but highly detailed and interactive.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I don't think a fuck you to the ps4 owners like this would benefit the campaign.

You may be right, but it will cost more to print the PS4 disc and get licensing fees etc and since Sony isn't seeing a dime of KS funds, that would be money taken out of development funds to pay for the extra cost on PS4 physical copies.

Hell, make the PS4 physical edition extra special with a custom sleeve or something, it would certainly up its value and justify its increased cost a bit more.

Bloodrage

Banned
Yeah this won't reach 10M in 20 days when it's been stuck below 4M since what feels like forever now.

I want to believe Sony would cover what's left but realistically speaking, I just don't think so. It's a big loss they'd be risking.

MilkBeard

I disagree; I think putting the PS4 physical copy in a little bit more expensive tier (like $100) would be a smart move, as it would help mitigate any extra cost. They can add something special to it, like someone said; make it a limited edition somehow. Make it with the artbook or something. I think people would flock to it.

Mimosa97

Sorry about the Instagram, but wanted to share the pictures I took earlier when capturing. Still working my way through first game, though will probably finish and get to the second one late next week (after a special Rocket League production).

CIe-gNVUAAAfEIg.jpg:large

Are you playing on PC ?

I'm trying to find a convenient way to play the first two games but I don't own neither a dreamcast or an OG Xbox. I've never tried emulation so I wouldn't know where to begin ...

It makes me sad because I played the first game with my neighbour on his shiny new dreamcast when I was 9 years old and I have very fond memories of that period of time :(

J2 Cool

Damn. Feed the fanbase and they eat it up. Made a lot of money since those popped up.. Wonder how you can drag this to the goals though. I dont think new contributors will be arriving. But also gives a lot of consideration to paypal. We could definitely pick up whats left on the kickstarter to stretch goals after the fact. Its starting to seem feasible, knowing the push this ks has left and the recent traffic.

eso76

Should have thought of releasing a Shenmue themed mobile game with 0.25 $ (real money) toy capsules and a recap of the events in Shenmue I & II maybe using old cutscenes.

Also, someone start working on Shenmue Minecraft.

Theonik

I'll reply here from the other thread since I had a theory earlier regarding the Kickstarter:
this is hilarious, but endearing at the same time.

just like shenmue's dub.
How the hell did THE SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER end up with a bunch of amateurish upstarts running the campaign?

How?
You know I was thinking maybe there is more to this Shenmue dub comparison. Perhaps it went down on a similar path. Yu Suzuki has never done a Kickstarter before, as he had never done a dub, but he feels it's important enough that he'd have to supervise it personally, if he was closeby he could pop in and help, direct, answer questions etc. As a result, he decides to look for a Kickstarter company that is based in Japan, preferably one near him. He talks to the company they look OK. Yu's never done this thing before. And sure enough like most Japanese internet/PR companies…

They should add a $39 version with some inexpensive backer-exclusive perks, like a backer-exclusive title screen. Some kind of "badge of honor" for backers. Currently, you have to pledge too much money for such things, even though they don't cost much.
No need. In fact it's better this way, it keeps the average pledge higher once they get rid of the PS4 wall. Bloodstained did the same.

Yeah this won't reach 10M in 20 days when it's been stuck below 4M since what feels like forever now.

I want to believe Sony would cover what's left but realistically speaking, I just don't think so. It's a big loss they'd be risking.

Can the kick-starter be extended by a few months? If it can we need to make our voices heard and make it happen. I think we can all agree that waiting a few more months to reach, or get closer to 10 million is worth it. Honestly, they should just keep the kick-starter going until there are no more stretch goals even it takes like 6 months.

Erevador

Can the kick-starter be extended by a few months? If it can we need to make our voices heard and make it happen. I think we can all agree that waiting a few more months to reach, or get closer to 10 million is worth it. Honestly, they should just keep the kick-starter going until there are no more stretch goals even it takes like 6 months.
No. Kickstarter end dates are firm.

However, the team is free to continue funding on their own through Paypal as long as they wish.

However, the team is free to continue funding on their own through Paypal as long as they wish.

They could also have a very special second Kickstarter for roughly the same project, though that could work for and against them depending on the circumstances.

Well they better do that and not even start development until they have a really healthy amount of money. It will be worth the wait. No need to rush things!

Erevador

Feel like pointing out that we are only about 125,000 short of surpassing Mighty No. 9 and becoming the 4th most funded Kickstarter game of all time, and the 12th most funded Kickstarter period.
They could also have a very special second Kickstarter for roughly the same project, though that could work for and against them depending on the circumstances.
That sort of behavior would almost surely backfire and seems to me highly unlikely.

It IS however entirely possible they will continue funding with Paypal like Yooka-Laylee is doing. This may allow them to achieve further stretch goals.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There are 27k backers for the $29 tier.

Wouldn't be surprised if adding a $60 tier PS4 physical version would convert probably a couple thousand. You'd probably add another 250k to the total just from that alone.

I wonder how they count it, I went for the $29 digital PS4 version, but I gave $60.

Paypal.

The solution you're thinking of is paypal.

Oh, I was saying what was possible, not what might be best. :)

There's no limit on Kickstarters that I'm aware of, a couple of adventure game projects have gone for a second round.

Paypal seems like the easier way of collecting funds after the fact, especially with recurring, scheduled donations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom