• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shenhua's updated face is a paint-over but notice the changes to costume - sleeves, scarf and chest.

https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/616396498394181632
YShxI7.jpeg
Definitely a huge improvement.

I'm not worried about the character models from the initial reveal to be honest. Game's still over 2 years out, they'll fix them in good time.

benzy

I'm surprised there are people who actually like the left version. It looks really strange to me, almost like a dead creepy puppet and nothing like the original Shenhua. The right is a big improvement, but since it's just a paint over it seems to have gone more anime instead of the nice blend between realism and anime like the original CG model had.

ddunswtryg.jpg

qsjbtsgysg.jpg

twgskbiklb.jpg

Trojan X

Banned

Seriously. Just give us THIS in CG form. It's gorgeous. Nothing else matters. Don't understand why they are putting so much effort to changing the models when their portrait version serves an incredible blue-print to what they really should be providing.

Spaghetti

I'm surprised there are people who actually like the left version. It looks really strange to me, almost like a dead creepy puppet and nothing like the original Shenhua. The right is a big improvement, but since it's just a paint over it seems to have gone more anime instead of the nice blend between realism and anime like the original CG model had.

ddunswtryg.jpg

qsjbtsgysg.jpg

twgskbiklb.jpg
the second image needs to be the look they aim for.

Pyrrhus

It's just a painting for the moment. They still need to render her properly. Still, seems like they know what the initial models lacked.

Spaghetti

i can't wait to see how the art develops over the next two years. should be a really fun ride seeing the updates as the game gets made.

actually here's something, who will be avoiding the updates through development? i'm considering it... but i want to see more teases about the game.

master15

Actually here's something, who will be avoiding the updates through development? i'm considering it... but i want to see more teases about the game.

That's a great question. It's going to be hard but I would like to try and stay as much in the dark as possible but after all these year's it's going to be very difficult to resist.

I mean after years of speculating, digging into lots of different fan theories, the art-work shown in the post-modern video, maps and shenmue online trailer there's some clues on where the story may go thus I would like to remain as spoiler-free as possible.

I went into playing both original games largely in the dark and frankly the experience was probably better for it.

Like I said it's going to be hard especially as I have a vested interest after backing the project.

Edit: Shenmuedojo stream is on right now. Every night at 10pm EST http://www.twitch.tv/shenmuedojo

Spaghetti

That's a great question. It's going to be hard but I would like to try and stay as much in the dark as possible but after all these year's it's going to be very difficult to resist.

I mean after years of speculating, digging into lots of different fan theories, the art-work shown in the post-modern video, maps and shenmue online trailer there's some clues on where the story may go thus I would like to remain as spoiler-free as possible.

I went into playing both original games largely in the dark and frankly the experience was probably better for it.

Like I said it's going to be hard especially as I have a vested interest after backing the project.
i agree with this. it's going to be tough, but after the KS is over i'll forget about shenmue 3 the best i can until a release date is announced.

then again, i'm expecting to see more at e3 2016 and 2017. i'll see what that's about.

by the way, we had the best day for backers this week. hopefully the trend continues as we head towards friday.

i can't wait to see how the art develops over the next two years. should be a really fun ride seeing the updates as the game gets made.

actually here's something, who will be avoiding the updates through development? i'm considering it... but i want to see more teases about the game.

I've avoided updates for Mighty Number 9 because I want to go into the gameplay pretty fresh but I don't think I can resist with Shenmue. Yu's generally pretty secretive so I think I'll be okay not getting anything spoiled.

Furoba

Cool, I got a response!

Hello Furoba,

Thank you for your message.

Sorry to not getting back to you sooner. Your suggestion is very reasonable and we are aware of the Kickstarter page does not have much information about the previous titles. We will be improving the page to make it better and is easier to understand for everyone. However it takes some amount of time and effort, so please be patient with us a little bit.

Your feedback is what will make the this Kickstarter really succeed, and we cannot thank you enough. Should there be any other concerns or suggestions, we are more than happy to listen to you. We hope we can count on your continued support.

Haunted

Cedric Biscay wants PewDiePie to cover Shenmue. Not sure how I feel about that.. Pew doesn't take games seriously imo

https://twitter.com/cedricbiscay/status/616309718697553920
While talking about it idly on Twitter instead of directly contacting his manager and making it happen (contact information and fees for Pewdiepie covering a game are readily available) is - again - pretty unprofessional, at least it's smarter than the Clueless Gamer idea. More eyeballs in the intended demographical range for a similar amount of money (medium 5 figures).

Erevador

So, for the last few days I have eased off on obsessively following the Kickstarter, and have just been really enjoying playing Shenmue I again.

Today was the first really snowy day in Dobuita. I asked a lot of people if they knew where to find tattoo parlors. Most of them were horrified, one old guy said I'd bring shame on my family, and the lady in the Tomato Mart got really excited and kept asking me what tattoo I was planning to get. She wants to get one too.

This game is just amazing, even all these years later. There is too much in it to possibly remember everything, or even most of it.

It is wonderful to play it and know that the story really isn't over...

I like it when you beat Chai and you ask people in Dobuita if they saw anyone suspicious go through and one dude says something like "are they shooting a horror movie around here?".

Erevador

The Japanese tattoo stigma is real. They probably thought you joined the Yakuza.
Love the way Shenmue has the feel of a real coastal town. Most people are extremely nice, but there is a definite "bad element" that no one really wants to talk about, or even admit exists.

Erevador

So what voice actors other than Ryo would you guys like to see return? Anyone at all? Or are there other actors you'd like to see show up to voice characters in the game?

Spaghetti

So what voice actors other than Ryo would you guys like to see return? Anyone at all? Or are there other actors you'd like to see show up to voice characters in the game?
well we already know ren shows up, so i'm looking forward to hearing him in both english and japanese

I dream of running into original Nozomi again.

I have nightmares of running into original Fuku-San.

Nozomi fucked off to Canada, I'd be amazed if we ever saw her again outside of a flashback scene. It would be really cool though if, hypothetically, Ryo returns to Japan in Shenmue 5 and Nozomi just happens to be back in Dobuita to meet him. What a heart-tugging reunion that would be.

until she finds out about all the Chinese birds he made it with

Erevador

either way we're getting eric kelso at some point- hopefully.
Kelso as Ren, I'm all good with that. Kelso as Fuku-San is some of the worst voice acting in human history. The performance is so strange it borders on "so bad it's good."
Nozomi fucked off to Canada, I'd be amazed if we ever saw her again outside of a flashback scene. It would be really cool though if, hypothetically, Ryo returns to Japan in Shenmue 5 and Nozomi just happens to be back in Dobuita to meet him. What a heart-tugging reunion that would be.

Don't shatter my dreams! Ryozomi forever...

Spaghetti

pffff

ryo is oblivious to any kind of romantic interaction

of course i am actually looking forward to seeing ryo return to japan in a later game. i wonder if it'll actually be a playable sequence? i assume the climax of the series takes place in tibet/mongolia, going from old theories.

Erevador

ryo is oblivious to any kind of romantic interaction
I've always felt like Ryo's obliviousness has been an attempt to avoid letting anyone else get too close with him because he knows he's probably on a suicide mission. Even when he doesn't show any affection for anyone, he still constantly has people telling him they are worried about him. He's so focused on his own loss and grief and anger that he doesn't want to feel anything else that might distract him from that.

His father tells him to "keep friends... those you love... close to you" but he definitely does the opposite. He pushes everyone away to try and minimize the collateral damage of his actions.

Nibel

Almost reaching 3.8 million.

TBH: whoever thought it was a good idea to have a large-gap stretch goal like the 3.5-4 one and thought it was enough to add minigames at 4 million deserves a punch in the face

Spaghetti

His father tells him to "keep friends... those you love... close to you" but he definitely does the opposite. He pushes everyone away to try and minimize the collateral damage of his actions.
that's probably going to be a big theme of the rest of the series. there's meant to be a redemption at some point, but as of yet ryo hasn't done anything obviously worth taking a redemptive path for.

Xiuying and Lan-Di would be cool, but apart from Corey Marshall I'm not sure if I even care if anyone else returns so long as they get new actors that sound similar. In fact I kinda hope they replace Shenhua. Her voice in Shenmue II sounded like a 16 year old kid that had his balls constantly squeezed. It was....unnatural.

Spaghetti

TBH: whoever thought it was a good idea to have a large-gap stretch goal like the 3.5-4 one and thought it was enough to add minigames at 4 million deserves a punch in the face
yeah, some of that stuff really needed shuffling around, but whatever. too late for that.

it would have been nice if the subtitle ones were spaced out so we could have hit a few of the cooler gameplay goals by now, but i guess the focus was to bring the story to as many people as possible.

Erevador

I can't understand why more stretch goals were added, and nothing was put in there to bridge that gap. Even something cute and cosmetic would help people feel some sense of progress without adding anything much to development costs.

Definitely a missed opportunity.

Spaghetti

we're close to hitting a good run of stretch goals now though, onwards through to 5 million and the character perspective system.

then hopefully the advanced FREE battle beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom