• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakus

Banned
So I sent the kick starter campaign a message a while back explaining my experience with virtual reality and half life 2 modding, and said a few design decisions early on in shenmue 3's development could make yu suzuki's dream of a vr shenmue ultimately come true. I said these design decisions wouldnt affect the scope or complexity of the game, but would make it easier for people to come in later and mod vr support on the pc version.

Yesterday, the co producer of the game responded asking for a more detailed explaination of my advice to be passed on to the team. I am writing a very detailed explaination of my suggestions, including a piece of ue4 code to decouple gaze from body orientation to send to them.

I want my suggestion translated into japanese so there isnt a language barrier, would anybody be up for translating for me?

Good stuff man! Sounds like they will certainly listen to you mate.

Imagine if they gave us PS4 copy in old Dreamcast case:

cPEOAQv.png

Anything but the European cases. Those were super flimsy.

jcjimher

However, I am also afraid that we will get another amazing adventure but will once again be caught up in a situation where the next game is cancelled.

I really hope that I am wrong because I have waited so long for this. Tbh I had given up.

I'm in middle ground about this subject.

I want Yu Suzuki to stay true to his vision and thus not compress and wrap the whole story in the next game. But if Shenmue III ends on a big cliffhanger like 2, I will be worried rather than excited.

I'd rather they opt for an ending in the vein of Shenmue I, or even the Hong Kong and Kowloon chapters of Shenmue II: reach the middle conclusion, make Ryo go on to the next chapter.

So I sent the kick starter campaign a message a while back explaining my experience with virtual reality and half life 2 modding, and said a few design decisions early on in shenmue 3's development could make yu suzuki's dream of a vr shenmue ultimately come true. I said these design decisions wouldnt affect the scope or complexity of the game, but would make it easier for people to come in later and mod vr support on the pc version.Yesterday, the co producer of the game responded asking for a more detailed explaination of my advice to be passed on to the team. I am writing a very detailed explaination of my suggestions, including a piece of ue4 code to decouple gaze from body orientation to send to them.I want my suggestion translated into japanese so there isnt a language barrier, would anybody be up for translating for me?
This would be really awesome. Keep us posted if you can, very interested to hear more.

Here's where I stand regarding another game after this. If worst comes to worst, I would hope he would just Kickstart another game. Perhaps the same situation where they were developing 1 and 2 simultaneously. The tech will be there. It's cheaper, just replenish the funds needed and that's that.

OR the game sells enough to entice more funding, or SEGA steps up... Who knows, let's not get too pessimistic here. We never imagined we'd be here.

I just know that I don't want any story butchering or consolidating of any kind.

Erevador

I'm in middle ground about this subject.

I want Yu Suzuki to stay true to his vision and thus not compress and wrap the whole story in the next game. But if Shenmue III ends on a big cliffhanger like 2, I will be worried rather than excited.

I'd rather they opt for an ending in the vein of Shenmue I, or even the Hong Kong and Kowloon chapters of Shenmue II: reach the middle conclusion, make Ryo go on to the next chapter.
I think it would be great if the game ended with Ryo finishing Lan Di, but discovering there is more to all of this than he realized and that Lan Di is a small part of something much larger.

That'd be a great way to bring satisfying conclusion to the revenge arc, but not necessarily finish the story.

Ultimately though, I trust Yu to take the story where it needs to go. Like George R.R. Martin, he may take his time with it, but ultimately I want him to do it his way.

Spaghetti

actually that's got me thinking. doesn't shenmue eventually take ryo into mongolia at some point? does anyone have that map of where the chapters are due to take place?

DavidDesu

Imagine BEING Ryo in an arcade playing Sega Rally on an arcade cabinet IN Shenmue in VR... Ooh. Hopefully they look into offering some VR support, even if it's just exploring the towns/villages outside of the single player game.

Ocaso

AAA is an investment term meant to predict the profitability of a return on investment, it is supposed to help people funding figure out how much of a budget to give.

Shenmue 3 is not a AAA game.

What's an AAA game to you (serious question) and why do you think that Shenmue 3 will be one? Does it have to be one? I don't think so.

The keyword being properly. What you're suggesting doesn't seem proper at all, at least not to the majority of people in this discussion here, and neither to Yu Suzuki.

A triple A game is understood to be a game with elevated development costs and high production values. Shenmue 1 and 2 were undoubtedly AAA games. While Shenmue 3 will not have 1 and 2's budget, one would, quite reasonably, expect production values to match in the continuation of the franchise.

As for the propriety of concluding the story in what may end up being the final Shenmue game made, I guess I just disagree with most of you.

RpgN

So is Shenmue 3 the best kickstarted game with the amount of funds it currently has?

I only completed 1 on the dreamcast and still have 2 to play. It feels good to know there is going to be a third game to add more to the story.

I don't back kick starters, but I do hope this one gets as much as possible to make it a worthy third game. You guys are doing a great job promoting it.

epmode

So is Shenmue 3 the best kickstarted game with the amount of funds it currently has?

It has a good shot at being the game with the highest-grossing Kickstarter campaign. Bloodstained has the current record with a bit more than $5.5M.

There's no chance it'll topple the game with the most crowdfunding, though. Star Citizen is just shy of $85M. It might even come out someday!

danwarb

I didn't know fragile DC cases was a thing. The Shenmue cardboad sleaves got a bit ruffled at the corners, but all the cases seem sturdy enough.

Spaghetti

The quality is crappy. Wish I had the source files for this presentation...

BjHrXj9CUAAp5wI.jpg
hm... it does seem like later parts take place in mongolia. then again, who knows how much the story has changed since that image was first made back when shenmue was virtua fighter rpg.

interestingly enough i think the image shows ryo might end up in beijing at some point.

ajim

Question for everyone: if after Shenmue 3 and they continue to use kickstarter as a way to generate income for Shenmue 4, would you back it the same way you have shennue 3? Assuming that's how the industry let's Shenmue be funded moving forward and knowing Shenmue 3 will not conclude the story.

Spaghetti

I only completed 1 on the dreamcast and still have 2 to play. It feels good to know there is going to be a third game to add more to the story.

I don't back kick starters, but I do hope this one gets as much as possible to make it a worthy third game. You guys are doing a great job promoting it.
not yet, but getting there at a fair pace.

you should definitely play shenmue II.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I couldn't find my copy of Shenmue II this weekend. I watched the first two hours on youtube. God so FREAKING good. So original and unique.

RpgN

It has a good shot at being the game with the highest-grossing Kickstarter campaign. Bloodstained has the current record with a bit more than $5.5M.

There's no chance it'll topple the game with the most crowdfunding, though. Star Citizen is just shy of $85M. It might even come out someday!

$85M?! How is that even possible XD

I'm hoping Shenmue 3 reaches 5 million at least, the character perspective system sounds really interesting. 6 million would be nice too, I always liked practicing in Shenmue anywhere.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can anyone find the Shenmue OST on youtube but WITH the ambient sounds? Like where is the just regular walking around music...the kinda peaceful philip glassish music that plays in Yamanose and Sakuragaoka...

hm... it does seem like later parts take place in mongolia. then again, who knows how much the story has changed since that image was first made back when shenmue was virtua fighter rpg.

interestingly enough i think the image shows ryo might end up in beijing at some point.
Beijing has changed so much since the 80s. How did it compare to Hong Kong back then?

Spaghetti

Can anyone find the Shenmue OST on youtube but WITH the ambient sounds? Like where is the just regular walking around music...the kinda peaceful philip glassish music that plays in Yamanose and Sakuragaoka...
not exactly what you're looking for, but there's a progressively developing version of the first day's FREE music that was unused here. it definitely has that philip glass sound with the raising and lowering of chords over and over.

openrob

I know that feeling, all OST's sound better with ambient sound.

Erevador

They'll have to sell some games to make a 4th possible. It'd be nice if there were more games like this around.

My mission the second this campaign ends is to go right into pressuring Sega to release the HD collection.

Then we get the original game on consoles with a huge install base for the first time ever. Get people to play it, become fans of the franchise, and buyers when Shenmue III finally comes to retail.

Maximizing the Kickstarter is the first step, then re-introducing the original games to new fans, and getting those fans hyped about purchasing Shenmue III.

That's how we bring Shenmue back for good this time.

tumblr_mpjbzy5nYe1r5o5cbo1_500.gif

tumblr_mpjbzy5nYe1r5o5cbo2_500.gif

Spaghetti

i'm hoping to be proven right that shenmue would be a far more accepted game in this day and age. i see indie games and AAA games alike pulling things from shenmue's playbook whether they know it or not. just goes to show how crazy ahead of its time it was.

Just backed for the physical PS4 release. I was iffy on spending $30 for a digital version, but $60 for a KS-exclusive physical version? No way I was going to pass up on that.

master15

not exactly what you're looking for, but there's a progressively developing version of the first day's FREE music that was unused here. it definitely has that philip glass sound with the raising and lowering of chords over and over.

Yes there is some amazing stuff buried in the unused tracks.

Redtale

Neo Member
$85M?! How is that even possible XD

I'm hoping Shenmue 3 reaches 5 million at least, the character perspective system sounds really interesting. 6 million would be nice too, I always liked practicing in Shenmue anywhere.

To be fair, Star Citizen's Kickstarter was in October of 2012 and only made just over $2.1M. They have had almost 3 years to accumulate $85M by allowing people to continue pledging on their website.

master15

Maximizing the Kickstarter is the first step, then re-introducing the original games to new fans, and getting those fans hyped about purchasing Shenmue III.

That's how we bring Shenmue back for good this time.

Ever since we saw the announcement and Suzuki making the following request to fans-

DnaaqX.gif

Its been amazing how fans have come together and rallied around the campaign. I am quietly confident we will see Shenmue 1 & 2 HD but as you said we will need to keep this excitement and momentum going for a little whole longer.

Rymuth

Off-topic but seeing how incredible it is for us to come together and support this thing, I'm rather entertaining the idea of a #saveYakuza awareness campaign for Yakuza 5. The game will be out digitally on a last gen console only and I don't think giving out Yakuza 4 on PS+ is enough to get people into the series.

Erevador

Ever since we saw the announcement and Suzuki making the following request to fans-

DnaaqX.gif

Its been amazing how fans have come together and rallied around the campaign. I am quietly confident we will see Shenmue 1 & 2 HD but as you said we will need to keep this excitement and momentum going for a little whole longer.
The thing that has really filled me with enthusiasm is seeing how many people on GAF alone are saying "I never played Shenmue, but seeing the fan enthusiasm has me convinced. I'm in" and pledging to the Kickstarter.

This makes me feel that Shenmue could have a real future with a new generation.

Is it me or has it had a bump? Just checked it now, last time I checked it was $4.25m now its up to $4.33m, maybe its just how its gone up today... making good progress though, PS4 physical was a good move for a boost

Trojan X

Banned
it's already been established in this thread that backers do not equal sales. this is a returning series that is well loved by many, and at least known of by many more. it made its debut in an e3 press conference, and will likely see at least two more before it comes out. this game will sell leagues more than the amount of people backing the kickstarter on name alone. look at all the interest about a shenmue HD collection on this forum alone from people who've never played the games.

that said, it's entirely pointless to speculate on sales before development of the game has even begun.

ending the series with 3 by jamming the story into an impossibly small space would be the weak thing to do. yu suzuki is making compromises, but not at the expense of the experience itself. he's made the right choice, and that's the shenmue 3 we are getting whether you like it or not at this point.

this game is a great example of gamer empowerment. it has taken a franchise thought dead by publishers, and placed it into the hands of fans who have breathed new life into the series.

sega had their reasons to pass, but frankly they're an irrelevance at this point. we're getting shenmue 3, and we're getting it as intended with or without them.

Well said. Everyone take note.

epmode

To be fair, Star Citizen's Kickstarter was in October of 2012 and only made just over $2.1M. They have had almost 3 years to accumulate $85M by allowing people to continue pledging on their website.

Star Citizen's Kickstarter ran concurrently with a campaign on robertsspaceindustries.com. Combined, they brought in $6.25M by the time the Kickstarter ended. Source: http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Crowdfunding_campaign

I'd love to see Shenmue bring in $10M but it's tough to compete with SC's funding model.

edit: Wait... Someone tell Mr. Suzuki to look into selling in-game forklift prototypes!

Shadders

Yu Suzuki is the legend who gave us

Hang on
Outrun
Space harrier
Daytona USA
Sega Rally
Virtua racing
Virtua Fighter
Virtua cop
Ferrari
Scud racer
SHENMUE

Aside from Sonic, he was the reason I supported Sega through the Mega CD, 32x, Saturn and all their other failings. If this man wants funding for a game, we all owe it to him on light of contributions to gaming history. The guy is a legend. It would be like denying Miyamoto a chance to develop his next Mario game.

I'm really sorry to be a pedant, but Sega Rally was Tetsuya Mizuguchi, not Suzuki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom