• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

New update:
Hello Shenmue Fans throughout the World!

More I AM SHENMUE 3 Rewards have been added, timed better for Shenmue fans across across the globe. There were lots of comments from the European Shenmue community saying they woke up to find all the rewards gone. (Sorry for sneaking them in there while you were asleep!) There is still plenty of space in the Choubu boat harbor waiting area for your pictures!

And! Thank you everyone for participating in the #SaveShenmue Tweetathon! Every day is Shenmue Day, so keep your #SaveShenmue Tweets coming!

If you were too busy playing Shenmue and missed the #YouaskYu Q&A during the Tweetathon, no problem, here is rundown of the all the questions that Yu Suzuki answered:  (日本語版はページの下側に!)

Q1; Were there originally 16 chapters in the Shenmue saga or were there 11? Please elaborate as to why some say 16 and some say 11. A;The detailed document I have has 11 chapters. If you include the chapters prepared for the branched storyline, it will be more than 11.

Q2; Is there any chance we can carry on Pledging after the Kickstarter date has closed? A; Thanks for the question, we will look into it.

Q3; At $5 million, exactly HOW open world will Shenmue 3 be, compared to Shenmue 1/2? A; I'm expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

Q4; Now that we know Shenmue 3 will not end the Story, do you have a backup plan if it won´t succeed to tell the end? A; I'm going to have to think about having a successor.

Q5; Will Shenmue have online functionality for example Online arcade Highscores or Online 70 man fighting battles? A; It will be more fun, but it depends on budget, so it is still under consideration

Q6; Will you be disappointed if the Kickstarter doesn't raise $10mill for that "open world experience"? A; No I won't be. I am grateful that there's another chance for a new Shenmue. I will make what I can within the budget from your money.

Q7; Will the Tiger scroll translated by Guizang in 1 be in 3? A; Great idea! I will look into it.

Q8; For Ryo Hazuki's model and others, are you going to reuse models and general assets from Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2? A; I don't plan to "reuse" them, but I will use the good parts as an reference.

Q9; Why do you think Shenmue didn't appeal to the mass audience back then? Would it need to be 'modernized' for today? A; There were many new challenges so that might be the reason. Even so I will do more new challenges this time. Challenge is what's important.

Q10; Can we expect the return of lottery prize in Shenmue 3? May be the first prize can be a figure of Yu Suzuki! A; I would love to include raffles. Thanks. I will need to think about prizes that are more appealing than my figure.

Q11; Will there be any more dinners offered for the $10,000 tier? I hope more can be added! A; We just added them today!

Q12; Will you research latest tech in AI so you can include it in Shenmue 3 to make it a pioneering game like its predecessors? A; Yes. I would like to do challenges in terms of technology

Q13; Is there a possibility to film a production process for example motion capture or dubbing, during development of Shenmue 3? A; Yes. I want to use it to communicate the progress to you.

Q14; Will @CocaColaCo join the Party? A; I'm considering collaboration like that with real companies.

Q15; Do you have any idea if Sega's planning on doing a Virtua Fighter 6? A; I have not heard about it from SEGA.

Q16; What can you tell me of the three blades? A; It means the jobs that use scissors, razors and knives, so barber, cook, and sewer. These are skills for jobs that have a steady need in any era. 

Q17; Although a little hint is left in the video, Ryo will he now be able to jump in Shenmue 3? A; Yes. I am researching about new technology to have more natural motions in Shenmue 3

Q18; My ten year old daughter wants to know if she'll be able to use the phone at will in Shenmue 3 like she does in Shenmue 1 A; Look forward for it. There will be many nostalgic scenes. Maybe a tin can telephone as well?

Q19; If future installments of Shenmue become a possibility will we have the option to bring over save data from 3? A; I have not decided it yet.

Q20; Can we expect epic fights like in Kowloon in Shenmue 2 and a similar battle fight system? A; There is "Battle System expanded", in the stretch goal. Things like this will enhance the battle to make it better and more fun than Shenmue 2

Q21; Have you thought about making each future chapter after Shenmue 3 a expansion that expands the chapters one by one? A; I am not considering it at the moment.

Q22; Will we start Shenmue 3 with some items/skills/scrolls from Shenmue 1 & 2? A; The platform is different, so we can't do it.

Q23; Should we expect any Sega related stuff in Shenmue 3 like arcade games or toy capsules? A; There is a possibility.

Q24; Were there any gameplay elements for Shenmue 1 and 2 that had to be cut due to budget constraints? A; Yes. I wanted the ramen noodles to be soggy after some time, but I couldn't include it. I wanted to include details like that to make it real.

Q25; Will the "Shenmue Trial" be used for feedback to improve the game like Square Enix have with the FF15 demo? A; I would definitely want to get feedback, so I'm looking into how we can have such system in place.

Q26; Will everything be voice acted the same way as 1 and 2? Or will budget constraints not allow 100% voice over all the time? A; Full voicing will be possible if we have enough funding.

Q27; Would love to hear Mandarin voice acting alongside Japanese in #Shenmue3, could we make it stretch goal? A; Under consideration.

Q28; What's the I.Q. score of Fukuhara-san? A; Maybe something like 86?

Q29; I was wondering did you get Ryo Hazuki name from Ryudo Uzaki that was a Japanese musician? A; Nope.

Q30; My question is why is not possible to use (Shenmue Passport) models for the Shenmue 3? A; I'm considering about adding some functions from Shenmue Passport.

Q31; Will there be official Kickstarter/Shenmue 3 forums to discuss and give feedback throughout the development process? A; I would definitely want to get feedback, so I'm looking into how we can have such system in place.

Q32;Can we expect custom clothing for Ryo Hazuki? It would be great feature to able to style Ryo Hazuki as we want. A; There's a function to change Ryo's jacket for backers pledging above $250. Customizing for other clothes are under consideration.

Q33; Why was the Dragon Mirror hidden under a cherry tree, and not a safe place like the basement? A; Iwao thought the place under Cherry blossom tree is safer.

Q34; Where did Ryo get his band aid? A; It didn't appear in Chp.1, but there was a martial arts event, and the scar is from the final match.

Q35; What is your favorite movie? A; My favorite 3 are: The Hustler, Casablanca, Roman Holiday. I love Billiards, and I still play it sometimes.

Q36; Will Shenmue 3 be compatible with the project Morpheus VR headset for the ultimate second life experience? A; I feel that VR offers great possibilities.

Q37; Will there be a pet dog in Shenmue 3 to call, look at and feed? A; Depends on budget.

Q38; Shenmue's core plot is basically Hamlet - are you a Shakespeare fan & has that been an influence? A; Sorry, but I have not read Hamlet. I know Hamtaro though.

Q39; What did YU name the kitten? A; I think I named her with dog names, like Pochi or Gontaro.

Q40; How was your day? A; Today is Shenmue Day, so I went to be with everyone on Twitter. Lots of people are participating, and I couldn't be happier. The rewards went over well and completely sold out. Thank you so much!

Q41; Will we see a Shenmue soda (can be just a can) and what would it taste like? A; If there is any interested beverage firm out there, please contact Ys Net!

Q42; Will Ryo learn the value of forgiveness in Shenmue 3? A; Please play Shenmue 3 for that answer!

Q43; Do you have a rough idea how many people will be in the development team for Shenmue 3? A; That will vary depending on the Kickstarter budget.

Q44; Since relationships between characters will be more prominent, will we see something like a multiple choice conversation system? A; I am thinking about dialogue selection system

Q45; I always wondered how Ryo, being Japanese, could communicate so easy in China. Can Ryo speak Chinese? A; That's a touchy subject...let's not touch it shall we?

Q46; Can you confirm that guns will never be a part of Shenmue gameplay, not for Ryo or any other playable character? A; I am not thinking about including guns as a weapon at the moment.

Q47; Will Ryo finally eat and have other bodily functions? A; I don't have any plans for implementing that in Shenmue 3.

Q48; Why does Ryo have a Saturn under his TV in Shenmue 1 but no games? Was Iwao using the promise of a game to keep Ryo focused? A; That sounds about right. Let's go with that.

Q49; Mr. Suzuki, what is your favorite kind of music? A; I like Jazz and Rock.

Q50; Why does Iwao Hazuki love carrots so much? A; Yes! Iwao's most favorite food is carrots! *jokingly*

Q51; Suzuki-san, can you please tell us some little info about Shenhua that the fans don't already know yet? A; The Shenmue tree's flower is named Shenhua. She is named after that flower.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1283666

More I Am Shenmue 3 tiers!

kiyoaki

Q3; At $5 million, exactly HOW open world will Shenmue 3 be, compared to Shenmue 1/2? A; I'm expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

Very pleased to hear that. The 6-7 million this KS will make should get us an experience close to Shenmue I.

Oriel

Legal/licensing mumbo jumbo still exist.

Hopefully with this Kickstarter success, SEGA will be willing to get off their lazy butts, contact some lawyers and try to figure out who they need to sign some documents with to clear the path for a release.

My dream right now is for Suzuki to walk out on stage at TGS with Sega execs on their hands and knees kissing his ass as he announces a physical PS4/Xbone/PS4 Shenmue 1+2 HD remaster collection for Q4, 2016.

The end of 2 would just say "the story continues holiday, 2017". :)

Rymuth

Penny Arcade summed it up in a similar manner that mirrors my thoughts~

It’s an Adventure Game and it’s also an RPG. It introduced into exploration a kind of hyper-granularity that seemed impossible, but may be dumb to you now, which was the ability to open drawers. Like, pretty much any drawer. <...>

They had to think about what would go in each drawer. It remains boggling.
Back then, that shit blew my mind. I remember in Kowloon I was knocking at every door. There was no gameplay reason for it but the physicality of the world compelled me to explore it.

New stretch goals available:

12 million - Xbox one edition announced
17 million - PS4 edition cancelled and now Xbox one exclusive
Rofl

Oriel

Another update for Euro Shenmue fans:

Hello Shenmue Fans throughout the World!
More I AM SHENMUE 3 Rewards have been added, timed better for Shenmue fans across across the globe. There were lots of comments from the European Shenmue community saying they woke up to find all the rewards gone. (Sorry for sneaking them in there while you were asleep!) There is still plenty of space in the Choubu boat harbor waiting area for your pictures!

Trojan X

Banned
Without a doubt! We definitely need a funding scheme after the kickstarter. I want the 150% Shenmue experience! I want Yu Suzuki to go wild.

Spaghetti

whoah shit! they pretty much doubled the I AM SHENMUE 3 tier number. seriously considering this now because i didn't jump on before. if all those go today it can generate almost $100,000 alone

Oriel

Is Sony taking money from poor school in China to make Shitmoo 3 ethical when they're trying to keep it off The One computer entertainment system all in one sex machine! Link to polygon below

Polygon, the Fox News of gaming. It should be their new slogan.

Back then, that shit blew my mind. I remember in Kowloon I was knocking at every door. There was no gameplay reason for it but the physicality of the world compelled me to explore it.

Did you know that those apartment rooms were procedurally generated? I just read that in a GamesRadar article a few days ago. I had no idea!

Yeah, all those apartment blocks with all those rooms that you could enter and roam about in, even though they served no real role to the story or gameplay. Coupled with the incredibly atmospheric ambient music, I used to love nosing about in those Kowloon buildings. They were so decrepit and about one air raid siren away from looking like the Otherworld in Silent Hill, yet there was a strange and sad beauty to them as well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Suzuki was experimenting a lot with procedural generation in shenmue 2. Probably because the cost of making the world he made was getting super ridiculous.

Having revisited wan chai yesterday, the scale is pretty daunting. Tons of shops, stores, NPCs, things to do and interact with, etc. And that's without modern game development tools.

I mean IS SONY USING CHOUBU HARBOR TO RAISE ADDITIONAL FUNDS TO PAY FOR GIO CORSI'S BAD HOCKEY WARDROBE ADDICTION?

Rymuth

Did you know that those apartment rooms were procedurally generated? I just read that in a GamesRadar article a few days ago. I had no idea!

slvzrcsvhlwyrd8pe1hd.jpg

Theonik

Suzuki was experimenting a lot with procedural generation in shenmue 2. Probably because the cost of making the world he made was getting super ridiculous.

Having revisited wan chai yesterday, the scale is pretty daunting. Tons of shops, stores, NPCs, things to do and interact with, etc. And that's without modern game development tools.
It was to fit game in the provided space. The technology is called Magic Maze by YS, and for Shenmue III it is the $11m stretchgoal. He mentioned some procedural generation techniques on his GDC2014 talk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amu0_EunHmM&t=26m30s

Trojan X

Banned
Ditto. How did Star Citizen get that shit load of money and how can Yu replicate that?

I don't know anything about the Star Citizen market and community. Can someone give me a quick summary? I want to figure out how they achieve those insane funding numbers.

Good to see the new update with added I Am Shenmue tiers! They'll definitely help towards the goal and hopefully they sell out. I like these tiers because they don't take any of the funding from the game's development and they can be really easy to add. Plus who doesn't want to be in a Shenmue game? Maybe they will add even more if these sell fast.

Spaghetti

38k until the next stretch goal. after that, we've got one more before the surge to 5 million. i honestly think we're going to make 5.5 or higher before the final push. bodes really well for the battle system stretch goals.

danwarb

It seemed like Shenmue had unique BGM for each character, area, scene. They should keep that up for 3. It was very powerful, now memorable and chill enducing.

Trojan X

Banned
they sold digital spaceships to crazy people

You mean they generated heaps of money by selling their 3D models? Are you sure?? Surely that can't be the main factor, right?

It seemed like Shenmue had unique BGM for each character, area, scene. They should keep that up for 3. It was very powerful, now memorable and chill enducing.

Remember that over 800 songs were created for the Shenmue series. I'm positive we'll be fine in that area though there will definitely be some updated work here and there because the music maestro "can".

Omikaru

Has Yu Suzuki planned a Shenmue's playable demo for PC and PS4 players ?

There's a PC only "Trial Edition", but it's a Kickstarter pledge tier.

You mean they generated heaps of money by selling their 3D models? Are you sure?? Surely that can't be the main factor, right?
Amazingly appealing idea, well thought out (i.e. thoroughly capitalistic) pre-purchase incentives, and the fact that the crowdfunding campaign hasn't stopped during its long development are pretty much the reasons why Star Citizen has been able to raise an obscene amount of cash.

Trojan X

Banned
There's a PC only "Trial Edition", but it's a Kickstarter pledge tier.

Amazingly appealing idea, well thought out (i.e. thoroughly capitalistic) pre-purchase incentives, and the fact that the crowdfunding campaign hasn't stopped during its long development are pretty much the reasons why Star Citizen has been able to raise an obscene amount of cash.

You paid lots of real money to construct a real ship to use in the game

That's insane! How much are we talking here for just one ship?

I'm pretty sure Star Citizen has reached a very high number of backers as well (in the high 6 figures). There is an element of milking whales, but the overall number are impressive.

Furoba

Those I am Shenmue III rewards are really flying out of the window, aren't they?
53 left now. I guess in between 1000-2000 USD is a sweet spot.

Erevador

Those I am Shenmue III rewards are really flying out of the window, aren't they?
53 left now. I guess in between 1000-2000 USD is a sweet spot.
Pretty insane to see the appetite among Shenmue fans for high cost tiers.

I'd definitely like to see some new tiers between 500 and 1000 to really get those mid-tier backers.

Wonder if they have any big updates coming up for the final week. Allowing us to add extra items and copies of the game to our pledge might see a boost. Hopefully they'll be putting up the new video soon too with a bit of a page revamp.

Rymuth

You're looking at this the wrong way.

Star Citizen, or at least the 'promise' of it, is supposed to be this persistent shared universe where you take on jobs and buy bigger and better ships.

It's basically World of Warcraft in reverse. They want to have the best 'gear' before the game even comes out.

mattp

Yeah, all those apartment blocks with all those rooms that you could enter and roam about in, even though they served no real role to the story or gameplay. Coupled with the incredibly atmospheric ambient music, I used to love nosing about in those Kowloon buildings. They were so decrepit and about one air raid siren away from looking like the Otherworld in Silent Hill, yet there was a strange and sad beauty to them as well.

WHAT

I've just gotta say, that Ryo design that appears in the main banner of the OP is ghastly. He looks like something straight out of Glee lol. At least Shenhua looks much improved now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom