• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaghetti

There was a super limited art book they made around the release of the game. Hard to track down now, a signed one sold one eBay last month for $270.

ShenmueArtbook1.jpg
whoah!

It'd be a lot eaiser to consider if they gave us the page count. Is it gonna be a flimsy 40 page thing or 200+
that's true, but shenmue has had quite a lot of artwork made for it, so i assume it'll be pretty thick

master15

Has this guy made another game after shenmue 2? Is he still capable of making a good game after all these years? This seems like all hype to me

If you've seen Suzuki's track record you can see he is the furthest thing from hype.

On a serious note he's had a handful of canceled arcade projets and Shenmue online. The only game he's taken to market since Shenmue 2 I believe is the mobile title Shenmue town and Sega Race TV for arcades

Spaghetti

If you've seen Suzuki's track record you can see he is the furthest thing from hype.

On a serious note he's had a handful of canceled arcade projets and Shenmue online. The only game he's taken to market since Shenmue 2 I believe is the mobile title Shenmue town.
vf4 aka probably the best damn virtua fighter.

maybe.

5: final showdown is awesome tho

Redtale

Neo Member
Looks like the "I am Shenmue 3" tier is doing well since the limit increase, however one person has backed out of the Monaco dinner, "Be a Shenmue NPC" and Luck Hit tiers.

Spaghetti

Looks like the "I am Shenmue 3" tier is doing well since the limit increase, however one person has backed out of the Monaco dinner, "Be a Shenmue NPC" and Luck Hit tiers.
we're still chugging a long at such a fast pace with those high pullouts

the shenmue train never ends

choo choo mother fuckers

Chinner

Banned
At the time, most of the ideas in Shenmue were pretty bold or not used in mainstream gaming. 14 years later, most of the game concepts introduced by Shenmue are still being used by modern AAA gaming.

Even if Shenmue III just continues where it was left, it'll pretty much be in line with modern gaming.

Not worried at this point.

Has this guy made another game after shenmue 2? Is he still capable of making a good game after all these years? This seems like all hype to me

If the defining features of this generation are graphics, scale, XP's, fetch quests and microtransactions, then yeah, we don't have to worry about him making a "good" game. As far as gaming design is concerned, the clock stopped post 2006.

Spaghetti

what the fuuuuuck

i just found a new arm wrestling area in shenmue II i've never been to before. i didn't really explore the gambling side of the game much, but it's so cool i'm finding these little nooks and crannies with new stuff in after 14 years.

Yu Suzuki is a gaming legend. He is Sega's Miyamoto. His output declined post Shenmue 2 due to Sega no longer have a dedicated hardware platform and internal strife with Sega with him effectively being marginalised due to Shenmue's failure. Even then you still have Virtua Fighter 4, Outrun 2, Virtua Cop 3 and so on. All amazing and killer games. We have zero to be worried about. The man is still capable of making amazing games. It was behind the scenes drama with Sega that reduced his output and not a sudden loss of creative vision and capability.

Remember his team are original Shenmue team members from AM2. He has the Shenmue dream team behind him for Shenmue 3. The game will be great.

Maligna

Banned
what the fuuuuuck

i just found a new arm wrestling area in shenmue II i've never been to before. i didn't really explore the gambling side of the game much, but it's so cool i'm finding these little nooks and crannies with new stuff in after 14 years.

Have you done the Eileen fight and the Duck races before? Have you done the darts rivalries?

Spaghetti

I can only make pledges in dollars, there are no conversion shenanigans with Kickstarter right?
nope. just pledge the dollar amount and the equivalent in your local currency is what gets withdrawn.

Have you done the Eileen fight and the Duck races before? Have you done the darts rivalries?
yeah. the eileen and izumi fights are two of my favourites in the whole game. 1 on 1, VF style.

Are you still in Hong Kong or did you move on to Kowloon?
hong kong

Spaghetti

The great Jason Schreier just posted a Shenmue article.

I've only just started reading it but it looks pretty good.
just finished it

it's okay. there's still the "but how much money are they REALLY getting" stuff which should be long dead by this stage, but it's an okay article with a not so subtle "sorry" for that dumbass placeholder boxart post.

Pretty fair article. Though I don't think any fan has concerns for the placeholder delivery date of December 2017. They can take all the time they want and I even expect it to go beyond that. After 14 years I'm in no rush.

Pretty fair article. Though I don't think any fan has concerns for the placeholder delivery date of December 2017. They can take all the time they want and I even expect it to go beyond that. After 14 years I'm in no rush.

Of course, just as long as it's not another 14 years, right?

Spaghetti

yeah pretty much. i'm certainly not going to kick up a stink about any delay. especially since the trial exists too.

actually i wonder how the trial will play out. will it be an early access version of the game, or a "what's shenmue?"

either sounds okay, but i'd rather have the "what's shenmue?" style trial instead to avoid story spoilers.

either sounds okay, but i'd rather have the "what's shenmue?" style trial instead to avoid story spoilers.

I'd rather have that as well. Not sure how much of the trial I'd play if its an actual piece of the game story, as I'd rather go in blind, but I've played What's Shenmue? and its a great "demo" that would be the perfect thing to tide me over until its actually released.

Thought this was pretty funny.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/06/shenmue-3-ps4-physical-release-available-to-backers/

How dare you criticise the placeholder boxart! Prepare to meet your doom!

Why does that make it sound like the people calling the guy on his bullshit are in the wrong? People weren't mobbed for criticising it. It's shit. We know. He was mobbed because he wrote one of the dumbest fucking articles in the history of "game journalism". Shenmue fan or not that article was garbage and that idiot deserved any backlash for actually writing an article about something so ridiculous. Using the website you freelance for to bait fans of a game is pretty low.

just finished it

it's okay. there's still the "but how much money are they REALLY getting" stuff which should be long dead by this stage, but it's an okay article with a not so subtle "sorry" for that dumbass placeholder boxart post.

That's pretty much exactly what I took from the article too.

Why does that make it sound like the people calling the guy on his bullshit are in the wrong? People weren't mobbed for criticising it. It's shit. We know. He was mobbed because he wrote one of the dumbest fucking articles in the history of "game journalism". Shenmue fan or not that article was garbage and that idiot deserved any backlash for actually writing an article about something so ridiculous. Using the website you freelance for to bait fans of a game is pretty low.

The Kotaku guy was in the wrong and deserved the venom and backlash. Kotaku's editorial staff felt so terrible about it they called him out publicly and posted an apology article. I thought VG247's article was referring to something else (i.e. not Kotaku-gate) and have removed the link since I think I miscalculated there.

In other news we'll be breaking 4.4 million any minute now.

Looking again the "X Village Expanded thing", I think the size of all the villages in the game is always the same (I mean, not related to additional funding) and the only thing that changes is the activities that we will do in those villages?

I'm reading that ok?

Spaghetti

Looking again the "X Village Expanded thing", I think the size of all the villages in the game is always the same (I mean, not related to additional funding) and the only thing that changes is the activities that we will do in those villages?

I'm reading that ok?
i think that's the best way to interpret that. none of the locales were ever going to be huge huge in a rural china setting anyway. it's all about the density for this game.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Suzuki is a legend. He got sidelined because of Shenmue, like Yokoi after Virtual Boy. Thankfully without the car accident. Can he still design a good game? I think so. I don't think this is something you lose.

Spaghetti

Suzuki is a legend. He got sidelined because of Shenmue, like Yokoi after Virtual Boy. Thankfully without the car accident. Can he still design a good game? I think so. I don't think this is something you lose.
honestly sega's mothballing of suzuki was one of the dumbest moves they ever made. he was the A-star player of their arcade development and they shoved him in a box.

Danlord

I just observed the Kickstarter go to $4.399m and then jump down to $4.397m, did someone accidentally pay for a $2000 backer pledge? Or what is a glitch on my end?

Edited.

I just observed the Kickstarter go to $4.39m and then jump down to $4.37m, did someone accidentally pay for a $2000 backer pledge? Or what is a glitch on my end?

Yeah saw the same thing. I think someone backed out of a 1.5K reward. It was so close to 4.4 million and then it backtracked. Someone backing out?

PaRappa

honestly sega's mothballing of suzuki was one of the dumbest moves they ever made. he was the A-star player of their arcade development and they shoved him in a box.

Sega are dead and he was wasted there anyway. Great to see he hasn't lost any of his magic and hence my support to his plans despite never having played Shenmue. The guy is my hero and the only developer aside from Miyamoto who I'd happily throw money at.

PaRappa

Suzuki is the original Naughty God.

He pioneered so much of modern gaming. He literally invented aspects of 2D and 3D gaming that virtually every single modern game today is based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom