• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

The enviroments does looks great, the rest? Not so much, but there's still time, but certainly looks amauterish.

In the end, is not a good look for the game, not sure if they should have showed something that looks so early.

The enviroments does looks great, the rest? Not so much, but there's still time, but certainly looks amauterish.

In the end, is not a good look for the game, not sure if they should have showed something that looks so early.

They wanted to show something for the fans that have been clamoring for it, but a lot of stuff just isn't representative of what they're aiming for in the final product right now. I feel like this trailer would have been much better received if they'd cut out the close up face shots and just showed the environments and and action sequences. The screenshots they released this morning looked better than the video.

I think this project is still on the right track to producing a good game. I'm still excited, and I hope others will retain an open mind on this game. They still have 14 months to go.

Looooooooollll at this thread. Some of you over react so easily. Its hilarious.

If this game was coming out next month, id be with you shouting doom and gloom about the models, but they got a year and a bit to sort them out. For a kickstarter game, this is off to a great start.

Environments look great. Music sounds great. Im sure fixing exisiting models isnt going to take a full year, especially when this footage is old footage. Perspective guys......

Still at least they now know what needs to be done to push the game to the next level so all good.

SMG

If this weren't Shemnue, there would be nobody willing to defend this trailer. A year is relatively short in gamedev time, if they really intend to release this next year then those awful character models won't be fixed by then IMO. This isn't "just fix Chun-Li", but "just fix it all". I wonder if it's bad art direction rather than technical incompetence, like they were trying to keep the aesthetics of the old games but just too much so.
Nonsense. It's a third of the projects life FFS.

Fbh

Didn't really like the originals but I guess I'm in the minority for thinking this looks pretty good.

The faces are weird, yeah, but aside from that it looks better than I expected from a Kickstarter project.

master15

Shamelessly stolen from the Shenmue Dojo but I think it confirms what we largely knew-

Game Watch Japan has published a very interesting interview with Suzuki-san, the interview took place during Gamescom and includes some really insightful and interesting information about Shenmue III, here's some of it:

-The released Shenmue III teaser footage is real-time in-game graphics.
-All charterers models are temporary and subject to change.
-Facial animations were initially implemented but have been removed about a month ago.
-The teaser was especially made for Gamescom 2017, no further plans to show more of the game at this year's Gamescom or Tokyo Game Show. However, a full-scale promotion will take place next year.
-Deep Silver will publish the game internationally, and they'll provide budget and promotional support. A publisher for Japan is to be decided.
-Suzuki-san would like to continue the series in Shenmue IV if possible.
-Suzuki-san is not interested in forcing the Shenmue story to complete in Shenmue III.
-Shenmue III will take around 30 hours of gameplay to complete.
-The fighting engine in Shenmue III is being built from scratch, and unlike Shenmue II it won't use the Virtua engine.
-A system that allows phone calls with characters from Shenmue and Shenmue II is planned for Shenmue III.
-Suzuki-san would like to bring as many voice actors from the previous games as possible, but some are retired now, he will audition a new voice actress for Shenhua.
-OST from Shenmue and Shenmue II will probably be reused in Shenmue III.
-The new partnership with Deep Silver is strong and it's aimed to improve the Shenmue III experience beyond what was initially planned on the Kickstarter.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1076791.html

delta_reg

That's odd the facial animations were removed... Also apparently no more Shenmue 3 showings this year, that makes me a bit sad. Hopefully they saw the feedback from the trailer and things will be better the next showing.

Synth

-The fighting engine in Shenmue III is being built from scratch, and unlike Shenmue II it won't use the Virtua engine.

Nooooooooo!

Though i guess that makes sense, giving that they're not part of AM2 anymore.

Good to hear about the models being subject to change, because Shenhua better not look anything like that on release.

zeopower6

That's odd the facial animations were removed... Also apparently no more Shenmue 3 showings this year, that makes me a bit sad. Hopefully they saw the feedback from the trailer and things will be better the next showing.

They must have needed a bit more work.

And I thought that it was obvious they took out any animations that had been there.

Loudninja

Shamelessly stolen from the Shenmue Dojo but I think it confirms what we largely knew-
These are some pretty major details should be a new thread for them.
-The new partnership with Deep Silver is strong and it's aimed to improve the Shenmue III experience beyond what was initially planned on the Kickstarter.
-Deep Silver will publish the game internationally, and they'll provide budget and promotional support. A publisher for Japan is to be decided.
This is very good man they have alot of partners on this lol.

Swarlee

I knew that they were going to lean heavily on the OSTs from the last games, still disappointed with it. Otherwise I am happy with what I've seen so far, I'm not expecting too much.

Eh I think the other info was more important for the title, we just going to get a repeat of the last 2.

Disagree - I think this puts the suggestion that this was in any way reflective of the final product to rest. Also, if people can't read the OP, we have bigger problems.

Nooooooooo!

Though i guess that makes sense, giving that they're not part of AM2 anymore.

Good to hear about the models being subject to change, because Shenhua better not look anything like that on release.

UE4 has been proven to be a great engine for fighting games, like Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, and Dragon Ball FighterZ. I have a feeling that the one that Yu builds from scratch will solid.

Synth

UE4 has been proven to be a great engine for fighting games, like Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, and Dragon Ball FighterZ. I have a feeling that the one that Yu builds from scratch will solid.

By Virtua Engine, it'd refer to the combat mechanics (and how Shenmue's combat was basically VF3 in disguise). Unreal Engine wouldn't have any bearing on that. What this implies is that combat will play differently.

By Virtua Engine, it'd refer to the combat mechanics (and how Shenmue's combat was basically VF3 in disguise). Unreal Engine wouldn't have any bearing on that. What this implies is that combat will play differently.

Well yeah, but the original Shenmue and Shenmue II did still use the Virtua Fighter fighting engine in its codebase. They may have used the unreleased Virtua Fighter 3 for the Saturn (which was reportedly never released because of the framerate) engine and inserted it into the early Saturn version of Shenmue before moving it to the Dreamcast? Shenmue used the Virtua Fighter engine in the same way that Yakuza uses the old Spike-Out fighting engine.

I wonder how Yu is going to change the fighting engine for this one?

Top Bottom