• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Just for everyone's knowledge and as general good practice, please post visual examples of comparable games with comparable/even smaller budgets. I would like to know myself, and it really helps keep everyone informed of the reality. Think it should be a standard to add references to illustrate points.

Look up Dreamfall Chapters.
1,5 mil on Kickstarter + a ~ 800.000 grant from the Norwegian Film Fund

Jhn

Shenmue is about a hyper detailed confined world and they look to be on their way to capturing that fully which is above my initial kickstarter expectations. Those harping about certain areas of graphical fidelity and art style are completely missing the appeal of the game. It's honestly just not that important.

I don't actually care about fidelity or the complexity of the rendering or anything like that at all. I would be perfectly fine with the original Dreamcast assets.
What I do care about is the characters looking completely wrong. Takes me out of what it's supposed to be.

Shenmue is about a hyper detailed confined world and they look to be on their way to capturing that fully which is above my initial kickstarter expectations. Those harping about certain areas of graphical fidelity and art style are completely missing the appeal of the game. It's honestly just not that important.

Who's to say that (obviously you, but it's such an absolute statement). The Shenmue series always supported cutting edge graphics and animation. The faces were even a big deal in the original game, promoted as almost photorealistic.

I loved the original but don't have that big an emotional attachment to care so much about this, but the presentation is obviously disappointing so far. Maybe the game needed a bigger budget, or maybe the team doing the work is up to the task. I wonder if the ever perfectionist Suzuki is happy with this result so far - maybe he has too fallen back in his ambitions.

Honestly, I quite like how the scenery looks, it's not in-game I guess but it's still looking pretty good. What I don't quite like is the style they are going with Shenhua and Ryo, I'd say their models looked better in the originals. I am guessing there is still a lot of work to be done there in any case, let's hope they can improve on it, because at the moment they look kinda cartoonish.

DKPOWPOW

It looks good. The environments are very pretty and the fight animation looked good as well. The character models need some work, but overall I'm happy. I think they got enough time to iron out the kinks.

By just voicing my anger? I didn't attack anyone, I didnt insult anyone - all I did, was posting topics about the announcements and how it didnt meet up with what was promoted.

Being banned for that - is a first across all communities I've ever been part of. shenmuedojo.net PR shilled people for months to still support the games paypal campaign, and invest in slackerbacker status - they even ran monthly "activities" on twitter to get more people financially invested in the "product".

But two little snippets of ironic criticism was too much for them.

Also - I didnt get any qualification as to why from the moderators, because - of course not.

Honestly, last time there was a post on Shenmue III I mentioned that I thought the development diaries should have a bit more detail in it and some guys really took it to heart. Some people are just overly sensitive on this.

JThird

4THMUHE.gif

I dont even know how to make fun of this
DHyUaplXsAM4XB-.jpg

Im sure they will focus on the faces animations from now on...
Looks like they forgot to delete light source right in front of his face. This light source is always somewhere below his chin. Looks hilarious.

SilentRob

Look up Dreamfall Chapters.
1,5 mil on Kickstarter + a ~ 800.000 grant from the Norwegian Film Fund

Yep, that's a really good comparison. There's like a generational leap between Dreamfall Chapters and Shenmue 3.

The problem isn't that it doesn't look like Uncharted. It's that it looks straight up incompetent. You really, really don't need a big budget for something like this:

tumblr_o9bkmihGdu1ri36afo1_500.gif

I'm not even going to mention Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice that, according to its sales target of 200.000 to 300.000 can't have had a much bigger budget than Shenmue 3.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Who's to say that (obviously you, but it's such an absolute statement). The Shenmue series always supported cutting edge graphics and animation. The faces were even a big deal in the original game, promoted as almost photorealistic.

I loved the original but don't have that big an emotional attachment to care so much about this, but the presentation is obviously disappointing so far. Maybe the game needed a bigger budget, or maybe the team doing the work is up to the task. I wonder if the ever perfectionist Suzuki is happy with this result so far - maybe he has too fallen back in his ambitions.

Bigger budget == more people and/or better skilled people.

openrob

Honestly, I quite like how the scenery looks, it's not in-game I guess but it's still looking pretty good.

It looks good. The environments are very pretty and the fight animation looked good as well.

I have to say, they nailed they phoenix mirrors in modeling though. Like 1:1. Which makes me think they had access to old elements or copied it closely in detail.

Thank Nocon Kid, the guy who made the fan hd environments who was then subsequently hired. He is working on backgrounds.

https://youtu.be/ETWhauvTOWY

butman

It look like an environment tech demo from early 2010s than a Shenmue trailer.

Also. Why they're wearing masks?

They may start work on facial animation with the voice-overs in progress, but could that be an explanation for the lack of textures?

@Spaghetti: Do you know more about the team's motion capturing, especially in terms of faces?

J2 Cool

Yep, that's a really good comparison. There's like a generational leap between Dreamfall Chapters and Shenmue 3.

The problem isn't that it doesn't look like Uncharted. It's that it looks straight up incompetent. You really, really don't need a big budget for something like this:

tumblr_o9bkmihGdu1ri36afo1_500.gif

I'm not even going to mention Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice that, according to its sales target of 200.000 to 300.000 can't have had a much bigger budget than Shenmue 3.

I think a big issue is assembling the team after the kickstarter in haste, instead of having a working infrastructure that a studio provides. Definitely some non-budget related incompetency issues plaguing this production so far, and it began right away with the kickstarter team.

Thank Nocon Kid, the guy who made the fan hd environments who was then subsequently hired. He is working on backgrounds.

https://youtu.be/ETWhauvTOWY

The amazing thing is at the time I remember this even getting a tiny bit nitpicked. Now in comparison to this official production, it looks amazing. I hope Yu establishes a more tightfisted control, this project seems like it could get away from him, if he is as wishy washy with other (visual) decisions as he is with the logo.

Well, hopefully there will be interviews that shed some light on the actual development progress and quality of the assets shown in the teaser.

I want another reddit Q&A so someone can ask him what the hell's up with Shenhua, including why they want to change her outfit

Try again.

I re-played both Shenmue and Shenmue II just last year and they still both have the best atmosphere in any videogame. They're still amazing experiences.

Agreed. People playing the "nostalgia has skewed your expectations" card are well off

ianpm31

I think a big issue is assembling the team after the kickstarter in haste, instead of having a working infrastructure that a studio provides. Definitely some non-budget, incompetency issues plaguing this production so far and it began right away with the kickstarter team.

Pretty much. Yu Suzuki had to put a team together from scratch. The game will evolve I have no worries

Breakage

The characters look awful. They look dead behind the eyes. I hate the cartoony Fable-esque artstyle. The whole thing has a fan-made look to it. And the logo...is inferior to the original.

It's completely lost the dirty realism aesthetic of the first two games.

Yeah I was wrong. Still it's not like Sony has a say in what happens in this game, so idk why people are bringing them up. Any down falls this game may have ain't up to Sony.

If you are helping funding and create the game, yes, I would imagine they have a say in things. Even when using Sony's press conference for crowdfunding a game, it already involves Sony pretty heavily I would say.

dmshaposv

THE EYES DON'T MOVE.

This better be wip. You can't have a game in 2017 without moving eyes, when we had this shit back in late 90s.

It looks like someone took Shenmue 2 and made one of those "What if X was made in Unreal Engine 4?" videos. :(

Why in the world would they release a video clip in such a petty state is beyond me. Music and gorgeous environmental details aside those character models just scream uncanny valley.

They could have used better placeholder models than this? Surely they know the internet would be having a field day with something like this.

Yu Suzuki interview is a must - I am baffled.

This looks terrible.

That looks really bad.

I tried to read through the entire thread, but couldn't. Just way too much jank in that trailer.

Svejk

Lol.. folks be bashing. What were ya'll expecting? It's obviously a work in progress and far from complete. The size of the game vs the size of the dev team, what they've completed looks great!
TRUST IN YU SUZUKI, BREHS

orient

Neo Member
It's completely lost the dirty realism aesthetic of the first two games.

lol wut

Shenmue looked "realistic" for the time but look at it now - the characters are heavily stylised. Also look up some Shenmue 3 screenshots because some of the environments have a real photorealistic vibe.

Kysen

Lol at the lack of facial expressions. This is like some fan made project. Calling it now, its DOA. Should have got the Yakuza team on this instead.

KageMaru

THE EYES DON'T MOVE.

This better be wip. You can't have a game in 2017 without moving eyes, when we had this shit back in late 90s.

You know it's wip, they aren't going to sit on their hands for the next year and ship it as is.

People in this thread are acting like they have no idea how games are made.

I hope no one snagged this for an avatar already.

Damn it, I was thinking of doing the same thing lol.

AAK

Even though we can't expect YsNet to be as talented as the dude behind Lost Soul Aside, this is still something low budget on UE4:

4jgwx.gif

tumblr_obicganAYI1u10jf6o4_r1_250.gif

I suppose it's best we curb our expectations of this studio and just enjoy whatever it will be. I think it's fairly safe to say this'll be the last Shenmue release.

ianpm31

Even though we can't expect YsNet to be as talented as the dude behind Lost Soul Aside, this is still something low budget on UE4:

4jgwx.gif

tumblr_obicganAYI1u10jf6o4_r1_250.gif

I suppose it's best we curb our expectations of this studio and just enjoy whatever it will be. I think it's fairly safe to say this'll be the last Shenmue release.

Just because they are giving us an early look of the game now it's "fairly safe" to say it's the last one. Believe it or not there is a lot of interest in this game and they don't need to sell millions to green light another one.

Randomizer

The environments look great and the characters are a massive improvement from before. However they need to improve the facial models and especially animation. Good thing is, they seem to be listening very closely to criticism.

Edit: Also wouldn't this be classified as pre-alpha footage?

Just because they are giving us an early look of the game now it's "fairly safe" to say it's the last one. Believe it or not there is a lot of interest in this game and they don't need to sell millions to green light another one.

No, but they still need it to be a critical success. And if Shenmue 3 releases in an amateurish state, this'll be the last in a way or another.

Metalgus

Banned
Isn't this like two years away from release? Faces can be fixed, I'm not that worried so far.

Supposed to be out second half of 2018, so between 1 and 1 1/2 year away. But I guess there's a chance that this might be delayed to 2019 (which is fine by me). So yeah, I'm not worried either.

Galang

Banned
They shouldn't have shown anything. The animations look horrendous and everything lacks feeling and weight... but it's a long way till release.. so no worries there.

Top Bottom