• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

Caj814

and this is why you don't show incomplete character models. . .
SOMEBODY PLEASE CONFIRM that they're incomplete o_o

Gamezone

Gold Member
But come on. It didn't look good, but we all pulled trough the zombie apocalypse called Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2. I know these games are much older, but we didn't care.

Gestault

These look highly improved from the earliest prototype materials. I think the art is moving in the right direction, even if those faces are...not the most developed aspect.

Don't know why they would want to release this teaser without any facial animation :(
Putting lifeless characters in the spotlight isn't going to show well.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I mean it's a high indie budget but yeah I think people had their expectations for this game way too high. I don't know what the staff count is but it's super tiny

Indie games can be great looking but usually when stylized.
That's not entirely true.
Look at another similar KS game, Dreamfall.
Much smaller budget, not backed by Sony, first Episode came out after a year and the game looked fine without being stylized.
Obviously it doesn't look like Horizon but for a game with a much smaller budget and a shorter development time it looks pretty good.

I hope Shenmue 3 won't be a new MN9. Don't care for it personally but it's fans deserve something great.

Jcgamer60

Why in the world would they release a video clip in such a petty state is beyond me. Music and gorgeous environmental details aside those character models just scream uncanny valley.

They could have used better placeholder models than this? Surely they know the internet would be having a field day with something like this.

Yu Suzuki interview is a must - I am baffled.

I'm kind of surprised Sony approved that trailer for release. Not to say it's inherently bad, but there's certain things you don't show the public. That being said, I'm sure most of the backers are open minded enough to know this is a work in progress.

Toki767

Ryo has like...one facial expression in every scene huh lol

I guess they still have plenty of time to fix things.

If Capcom could do it with Chun-Li's face...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's not entirely true.
Look at another similar KS game, Dreamfall.
Much smaller budget, not backed by Sony, first Episode came out after a year and the game looked fine without being stylized.

Backed by Sony? They provided some marketing support and an E3 spotlight and little else (maybe free dev kits... who knows...) and people still think Sony donated God knows how much money (which majorly hurt the Kickstarter... I guess people are happy now...).

Sorry, did not mean to offend... just that the whole situation makes me a bit sad :/.

gogogow

I mean it's a high indie budget but yeah I think people had their expectations for this game way too high. I don't know what the staff count is but it's super tiny

Indie games can be great looking but usually when stylized.

Hellblade costs way under $10 million. They are calling it an AAA game with an indie budget. But NT are an active software house. I've supported Shenmue III's kickstarter, but I don't how much experience the team has with modern games development.

Uhyve

I honestly don't understand how these models got made. Are they using interns for lead characters or something? Maybe outsourcing to dodgy companies?

No professional modeller would make these models.

Heartfyre

I think the environments look great...but the uncanny valley on those faces is truly a deep crevasse. The impact of those fish eyes gets me more than the animations.

bluexy

I don't even want them to change it. This trailer is giving me flashbacks to classic Shenmue in all the right/wrong ways. Uncanny how they've recaptured that "everything is wrong with this" feeling in just a short trailer.

It seems clear to me that they just started working on facial animations. Ryo's face didn't move at all, so they haven't even started on his yet. I really liked the environments, so they look like they're on the right track.

Give it time guys. Most games don't look good until the end of development, and small budget titles don't have time or resources to make vertical slices.

Jumeira

Banned
The Shenmue games are home to a lot of goofy shit. And as a fan, some of the jankyness is part of why I love it! That being said, this is still early footage, the game ain't out for a while.

None of the Shenmue games looked awful, they were breathtaking. And the jank was forgivable due to quality of everything else. This is pretty disgraceful to attach the Shenmue legacy towards, it deserves so much better :(

Hoping for better, but they've been developing for 2 years now i guess, its barely a prototype, just looks like panning shots spliced together, not examples of gameplay.

vern

It looks better than Shenmue 1 and 2 and those are already more than good enough. I've never really been a graphics whore though... I know times have changed and games are more advanced, but it's motherfucking shenmue! I don't give a shit how it looks as long as it plays well and we finally finish the story. I just wanna smack Lan Di around.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I was impressed. The environments look lovely. Yes the faces need a little work. Or a lot of work. But I think this has the elements of a shenmue I want.

Top Bottom