• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III E3 2019 trailer | PC version exclusive to Epic Games Store

Mista

Banned

Publisher Deep Silver and developer Ys Net have released the E3 2019 trailer for Shenmue III.

Additionally, Ys Net announced that the PC version of Shenmue III will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store.

Shenmue III is due out for PlayStation 4 and PC on November 19. English & Japanese trailer above

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
hot garbo

giphy.gif

Fbh

Have they actually shown gameplay at all? I know the franchise is story heavy but every single trailer I've seen has just been cutscenes. Has there been any showing of how the game looks and plays when you are in control?

Also damn those are some bad facial animations.

Pejo

Gold Member
What the fuck with Epic Game Store. God dammit this pisses me off. When I backed the game this was not part of the deal.

Time to look into getting a refund. Fuck Epic.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Man, that trailer might have made a splash in 2005

Still, day 1 T_T

Edit surely you can dl via egs and run it through steam, right?

Last edited:

Lastyou1

Banned
Why all the skepticism?

Yes, the game is low budget and low production values, but it is the best B-game ever made.

Slightly more than an indy, way less than AAA and AA.

It's not the game itself, but the expectations. I am a proud day one backer and still I don't regret it.

I'll regret the lack of a Shenmue 4, if 3 doesn't do well...

JCK75

I have nothing but hatred and contempt for Epic Games Store now, but I never liked Shenmue so I'm not worse off here.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I backed for a Steam or DRM Free Digital/Physical Disc.

As far as the physical pc version they had advertised on KS, considering all the other things Epic is missing I have to ask: On EGS can you enter in game keys the same way as steam?

ethomaz

Banned
I backed for a Steam or DRM Free Digital/Physical Disc.

As far as the physical pc version they had advertised on KS, considering all the other things Epic is missing I have to ask: On EGS can you enter in game keys the same way as steam?
Yes.

sublimit

Banned
I was never a fan of Shenmue (even though i love Yakuza) but it saddens me to see this game being mocked and ridiculed by a lot of people. Yes the graphics don't look like Death Stranding or something but is that the only thing that matters in games nowdays? I hope the fans at least (because as i understand this was primarily made for the fans) get to enjoy it.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I'm a huge fan of Shenmue and was looking forward to play this on PC day 1 but there is no way I'm going to cave to that stupid excsluvie strategy EGS is trying to push.

Fuck that. I rather play the inferior PS4 version. It doesn't seem to be that technically advanced.

That said, I'm happy Yu got paid. The man deserves the money.

I don’t know anything about the EGS. Why is there such an uproar about the game being exclusive? Can’t you just play the damn thing the same as getting it from Steam? Seriously, guys. As for me, I have my $250 PS4 backer collector’s edition coming so I am happy. I’ve loved Shenmue since the start of the franchise and while this game doesn’t look that good to me, I will be content if it lives up to the standards of the first two titles.

Paracelsus

I don’t know anything about the EGS. Why is there such an uproar about the game being exclusive? Can’t you just play the damn thing the same as getting it from Steam? Seriously, guys. As for me, I have my $250 PS4 backer collector’s edition coming so I am happy. I’ve loved Shenmue since the start of the franchise and while this game doesn’t look that good to me, I will be content if it lives up to the standards of the first two titles.

"Why don't people just ignore the horse armor dlc? It's not a big deal".

A.Romero

Personally I have nothing against platform exclusives. However, I do have an issue with the way Tim Sweeney has been trying to push it:

- Hated Microsoft but now he loves them which is fine if it wasn't because it is just because it aligns to his agenda better
- Says EGS, unlike Steam, is here to make gaming better it remains unclear how EGS exlusives help gaming
- Says stupid things like Valve should commit to an 88% share for devs without mentioning how inferior EGS is to Steam
- Playing dumb as if he didn't know the difference between buying any car at any dealership and making third party games exclusive. This last one is the most stupid in my opinion. I'm OK with having to use a platform like Origin to play EA games but having to use EGS to play a third party game? There is a huge difference and talking as if there wasn't is just a way of manipulating the customers.

So in a practical way I'm with you, it's not an issue. However, I'm inclined to find this position and the way to sell it very idiotic. The only way I can interact with Epic is by buying from them or not so I rather show them my feelings about their position by not getting any games on EGS (not even the freebies!).

clem84

Gold Member
As someone who doesn't really play PC games but just wants this game to be successful, is this a good thing? Seems to me ignoring Steam might seriously bite them in the ass.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
As someone who doesn't really play PC games but just wants this game to be successful, is this a good thing? Seems to me ignoring Steam might seriously bite them in the ass.
If their comments section of Kickstarter.com is any indication, they may have just shot themselves in the foot, so to speak. I'm not sure what the refund policy is, but there sure are a lot of people angrily wanting one.

Best case scenario is that they trash the Epic Store exclusivity BS, but that will never happen because of $$. Second best scenario is that they provide Steam keys to backers and then the game is sold exclusively on Epic for a year or whatever their stupid terms are. That one remains to be seen. Third scenario is they say "fuck it" to all the PC platform backers and provide EGS keys. I'm not sure if there's anything legally that anyone could do about it. Definitely hurts their reputation though. 10 years ago I would laugh about their reputation actually having any sort of sway, but we're in the late 2010s now, and I've seen a guy get fired from a high level job for "unwelcomed hugs" so....

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lol, that's going to go over so, so badly.

Kickstarter backers get a DRM-free version, though, right? So, I guess I'm not really affected.

Top Bottom