• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III E3 2019 trailer | PC version exclusive to Epic Games Store

Vade

As a backer this is a really shit thing. As someone who loves watching some chaos and things burn down, this is well worth the price of purchase. A game that only happened because of the incredible fan support getting money hatted lol this will be some great drama; maybe E3 did not disappoint in that regard.

Ownage

giphy.gif

FStubbs

Don't underestimate the combined lunch money of children from grades 1-6.

I'd be pissed if I backed this -- changing up to release from a completely different storefront after supporting its creation.

I feel like they should be forced to offer refunds.

IMO it's not too far from if I were to back a game coming out to Xbox and they said "surprise! We got a deal on PhyreEngine on PS4 so now this game will be coming out on PS4. Please understand."

It's great the Xbox 360 is still getting games in 2019.

It looks like nothing was improved overall with some aspects being worse than Shenmue 2. The movements while running and fighting still look stiff and broken and I'm sure tedious tasks will feel even worse. The series was never really that good, but we needed this trailer to get the overreacting fans in line before people would admit to it.

Also, a lot of gamers just got stiffed out of the steam version that was promised and funded via crowdfunding, it's Mighty No9 all over again with 3ds/vita.

kunonabi

Trailer was good aside from some animations and Ryo's face but the epic exclusivity really is a kick in the balls.

I'm so sick of this games exclusive to Epic store bullshit. I'm already missing out on Shakedown: Hawaii and I bought the remastered versions of Shenmue I & II not too long ago. I'll just pick up the third entry on PlayStation.

Last edited:
You know how you have rose-colored glasses when thinking about older games. This looks worse than how I remember the original on Dreamcast looking. This looks like I could run it on my phone, and not my current phone, I'm talking my old Galaxy Nexus..

down 2 orth

The Pirate Bay owes Sweeny a tremendous debt of gratitude these days. He's breathing fresh life into old configurations.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ugh, with all these Epic Store Exclusives I'm seriously tempted to get a ps4 pro while they're on sale this week. I'm not supporting their store no matter what but I don't want to wait.

dottme

Getting indication on Twatter that backers won't get any refunds, can someone confirm?

65D2518479AF4724B04E434740389F59E0FCCD15
I see multiple people on twitter saying they’ve got their refund request denied.
So it might be true but this will be a shit move from Ys.

Up to now, except the expected delay which I didn’t care about, I was thinking that their kickstarter campaign was quite good.

datsunzep

I've backed two games on kickstarter. Drift Stage has never come out and probably won't ever. Now with Shenmue III, I'm not getting what I initially paid for. If this is the only way to get the game, so be it. I paid for the physical PC, hope I will be able to redeem my code somewhere.

Aretak

Man, the single and only crowdfunding project that I've ever backed and I still manage to get boned. I hope they do the right thing and offer refunds, but Deep Silver has always been such an incredibly slimy company that I'm sure they won't.

Kazza

Leaving all the Epic Store drama to one side, the trailer looks pretty good overall.

The good:
- Beautiful environments/backgrounds. The colours and detail looks just like a 2019 Shenmue should. I can't think of many games with the same style.
- Nice, non-spoilery Shenmue-style plot info. I like the whole learning from the kungfu master bit. The fighting against a gang of local hoodlums bit looks great too. Classic Shenmue!
- English dub sounds decent. Good to hear Corey Marshall back as Ryu
- Liked the bit where he saved the little girl falling from the ladder. Again, classic Shenmue (maybe a QTE?)
- Character models and general animation all look good, and very Shenmue.

The bad:
- Still some bad facial animations, especially on the "What did you say to me?" guy. I hope this will be one of the aspects they delayed the game for, but I'm preparing myself for the possibility that this is just what we're going to get in the finished game. Nothing terrible, but the quality is just significantly below everything else in the game.
- What kind of punches was Ryo throwing in that initial fight? Just punch straight, dude! I hope they improve that but, as it makes both Ryo and the master look bad

Kazza

I've heard that both Huber from Easy Allies and John from Digital Foundry will both be getting hands on experience of the game at E3. Those are the two people I trust the most when it comes to judging Shenmue, so I'm looking forward to their comments.

MayauMiao

I've heard that both Huber from Easy Allies and John from Digital Foundry will both be getting hands on experience of the game at E3. Those are the two people I trust the most when it comes to judging Shenmue, so I'm looking forward to their comments.

Can't wait for John to do graphic analysis and watch Huber having orgasm on video.

CyberPanda

Banned
Will Tim Sweeney be guarding the PC version demo stations?

Kazza

In the trailer, they deliberately avoided showing the face of the muscleman character:

4THMUHE.gif

The dude looked pretty grotesque, even for a Shenmue character, so hopefully this means that he is still being worked on.

Kazza

I also noticed when browsing the Shenmue Dojo forums that there is DLC planned. There was a missing chapter between Shenmue 1 and 2 when Ryo has a fight with Chai while on the boat to Hong Kong. It would be awesome if they were to add that short segment as DLC.

Top Bottom