• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III North American pre-order bonuses announced

Mista

Banned
Shenmue-III_2019_08-07-19_001.jpg

All pre-orders of Shenmue III at participating retailers in the United States, Canada, and Latin America will include the following items:
  • Snake Power: Three bottles of ‘Snake Power’ elixir to replenish energy during battle.
  • Playing Tokens: 5,000 playing tokens for the in-game gambling area.
  • “Blazing Kick” Advanced Training Scroll: Unlocks the advanced ability of the “Blazing Kick” to better challenge Ryo’s foes.
  • Toy Capsule: Set of 24 tickets to exchange for in-game capsule toys.

In addition to the items listed above, Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, and EB Games will each offer bonus pre-order items for Shenmue III:
Amazon

Shenmue-III_2019_08-07-19_002.jpg

Kenpogi Training Wear DLC: Original training gear based on actual Chinese Kung Fu wear.

Best Buy

Shenmue-III_2019_08-07-19_003.jpg

Limited Edition Steelbook: This illustrated Steelbook case captures the beauty and elegance of the Shenmue series and features portraits of Shenmue III heroes Ryo and Shenhua.

GameStop (US) / EB Games (Canada)

Shenmue-III_2019_08-07-19_004.jpg

Dragon / Phoenix Mirror Medallion: This exquisitely-crafted physical item is inspired by the iconic Dragon and Phoenix mirrors of the Shenmue series.
Gematsu

Barakov

Gold Member
Given how much I love Shenmue I and II, I'm kinda surprised how fast I soured on this one after the bad decisions by Suzuki and 505.

Petrae

Shenmue III has gone from a crowdfunding darling sequel to a cult Dreamcast hit to exemplifying the worst of modern AAA video gaming.

When I bought my copies of Shenmue and Shenmue II, the Passport disc with the first and the Shenmue movie DVD with the second weren’t retailer-specific. I didn’t have to preorder the games to get them, and I didn’t have to pay SEGA anything extra for them. They were extra content that came with the games, whether it was out of gratitude for buying them or trying to convince people to buy them. You got more for your dollars back then.

It’s a reminder of how the video game industry has degraded into a steaming pile of shit, driven by greed. I wonder how much differently crowdfunding might have gone if YsNet was transparent at the start and told prospective donors that retailer-specific DLC and season passes would be part of the deal.

Fuz

Banned
Retailer-specific preorder DLC
Seriously. Seems they're tying to reach rock bottom. And then start digging.
It’s a reminder of how the video game industry has degraded into a steaming pile of shit, driven by greed. I wonder how much differently crowdfunding might have gone if YsNet was transparent at the start and told prospective donors that retailer-specific DLC and season passes would be part of the deal.
And the lesson is... never, never, NEVER back a crowfunding.

Last edited:

Petrae

And the lesson is... never, never, NEVER back a crowfunding.

I’ve never thrown away money on crowdfunding a video game, and I never will. I only spend money when the games are released, whether it’s through a publisher or by the development team through self-publishing.

I need to see what the final product is and how much it’s going to try and fleece me out of more money.

sol_bad

It's literally just all shit. Digital shit. Digital shit that was probably designed and modelled in a single day.
Did they say of the Patreon people will get these or not?

Enjay

Banned
Shenmue III has gone from a crowdfunding darling sequel to a cult Dreamcast hit to exemplifying the worst of modern AAA video gaming.

When I bought my copies of Shenmue and Shenmue II, the Passport disc with the first and the Shenmue movie DVD with the second weren’t retailer-specific. I didn’t have to preorder the games to get them, and I didn’t have to pay SEGA anything extra for them. They were extra content that came with the games, whether it was out of gratitude for buying them or trying to convince people to buy them. You got more for your dollars back then.

Agreed, this is one of the widest turnarounds I've ever seen. Also they still haven't given us the update as to how we can request a refund despite saying epic games will cover all refunds.

Last edited:

Petrae

After all, this may be Suzuki's last hit.

The pressure is immense. Shenmue III has to be nothing shy of amazing— and it has to sell millions. There has to be enough consumers out there to buy into the Shenmue idea... far, far more than the few who bought the first two games.

Suzuki has to satisfy everyone. Fans of the original games, new audiences, crowdfunders, and the publisher that he signed his soul over to. Pulling that off is a significant improbability.

Maybe the miracle happens, but I certainly wouldn’t put any money on that. As it stands, the game’s trajectory with poor decisions has dropped it for me from a no-brainer Day One purchase, to a “wait and see” cautionary stance, to a complete pass.

Top Bottom