• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
what is the source for the new project (i'll post the thread)?

op_ivy

mclaren777 said:
I really don't think it's worth making a new thread until this project is officially announced. I just wanted you guys to see what they were working on now.

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249418&page=10

ahhh, ok. reading through the thread, i forgot their plan was to build a game WITH the community, and that, indeed, is very much a prototype and will, with nearly 100% certainty not be what the actual game is. probably should have a whole thread on the idea slightly mad is going for.

shame we wont see shift 3 from them (or my dreams of them taking over PGR)

jergrah

I finally gave the game another try with the latest update on PS3 and am glad I did. The handling with a wheel feels 100x better now. Played it for 2+ hours last night and had a blast.

Well....until I decided to try drifting again and then the fun went out the window. I think I'm just going to completely skip those events.

markao

@mclaren777, No plans for demo.

I had some time and tried the Lambo, besides that it is really slow, I noticed there was far more temp spread on the tires. After checking the Ford again I found out the camber in the set-up screen works opposite of what I thought. I thought + meant more camber, but it is actually more positive camber :oops: , it does explain why adding more did not have the expected effect ;)

So I changed camber set-up and few other thing and improved with 2 tenths, as car is far more stable/easier to drive fast.

Code:
Name		 	Sector 1	Sector 2	Sector 3	 Time		  Car			Settings

Wax Free Vanilla         42:976		 40:966		 33:646		[B]1:57:588[/B]	Maserati MC12-GT1	Elite - No Aids - G25

Markao                   43:010		 41:138		 33:480 	[B]1.57:628[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - No Aids - G25

sneaky77                 44:380		 42:866		 34:905 	[B]2:02:600[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - Cont-abs

jergrah said:
Well....until I decided to try drifting again and then the fun went out the window. I think I'm just going to completely skip those events.

practice on the vegas industrial site with this car setup i found:

240SX (S13) Drift Alliance

Front Tyre Pressure – 32
Rear Tyre Pressure – 33
Brake Balance – 60
Brake Pressure – 10
Steering Lock – 44
Castor Angle – 8.00
Front Toe Angle – 34.00
Rear Toe Angle – 33.00
Front Camber – 23
Rear Camber – 27.00
Front Ride Height - 7.00
Rear Ride Height - 9.00
Limited Slip Acceleration Lock – 13.00
Limited Slip Deceleration Lock – 13.00
Limited Slip preload – 0.00
Front Downforce – 1.00
Rear Downforce – 3.00
Front Sway Bar – 5.00
Rear Sway Bar – 4.00
Front Spring Rate – 3.00
Rear Spring Rate – 3.00
Front Bump Stop – 0.00
Rear Bump Stop – 0.00
Front Damper Fast Bump – 3.00
Front Damper Slow Bump – 3.00
Front Damper Fast Rebound – 6.00
Front Damper Slow Rebound – 6.00
Rear Damper Fast Bump – 3.00
Rear Damper Slow Bump – 3.00
Rear Damper Fast Rebound – 6.00
Rear Damper Slow Rebound – 6.00
Final Drive – 4.00
1st – 2.00
2nd – 2.00
3rd – 2.00
4th – 2.00
5th – 2.00

i'm in total control with this car at high and low speeds. its good fun, i wished this track had a full replay option instead of only 30 second clips :(

my drift wheel settings are at 240 and 100 drift sensitivity.

op_ivy

just reached level 20, whats with the cap? any word on that being removed soon?

yeah bullshit cap, i'm only 66% complete.

I'd like to qualify some of the comments made here about what we decide to fix. A few people have observed that there is a discrete line between technology fixes and gameplay elements.

It really boils down to the fact that SMS owns the core-tech and has chosen to enhance parts of the game that they own in a forward looking way. So if there is a disjoint here it's because of publisher apathy on their IP elements - from their point of view the game is 84/85 meta-critic and further investment isn't a good business proposition with a normal sales curve.

The harder AI was completed today. There is some testing feedback - but the 'Max' Game difficulty will be 3-5% harder - I hope our effort here, gives extra longevity to the hardcore racers (Personally, my old bones can't do better than 5th or 6th on a grid of 12 on this setting!)

Sounds like EA is going to fuck over console gamers with this new patch? Absolute cunts if they don't release patch v1.03 with the improved AI because of the metacritic score.

sneaky77

op_ivy said:
just reached level 20, whats with the cap? any word on that being removed soon?

yeah I reached level 20 around the 50% mark. I don't know that it matters for this kinda game anyway

op_ivy

sneaky77 said:
yeah I reached level 20 around the 50% mark. I don't know that it matters for this kinda game anyway

i don't even think i've reached 50%. the lack of big money rewards for leveling has curbed my enthusiasm to complete the career mode further.

i guess its time to time attack and set up my own custom races.

AEREC

Ive gotten the racing bug recently and just purchased Dirt 3 and Shift 2 on steam...im enjoying them both with the 360 controller but I have a Force Driving GT wheel on the way from Amazon.

How well does it work with Shift 2?

Finally got the game for 360. Graphic is OK though I think the first one was better. There seems to be a bit of "smearing" in this one.

They also ape a lot of Forza 3, such as the posters, the car upgrade and even autolog where it pick your next race for you base on the car you have.

I was surprise that the helmet cam is actually pretty good for the most part. Anyway, I like it so far and it will fill the racing need until Forza 4 comes out in the fall.

EA force SMS to remove features from the next patch:

When we submitted our final changelist for the patch a few weeks back, EA said that the non-requested features such as MLAA, Max graphics settings and AI would take significant test time on their part and couldn't be included, because the DLC in itself required significant test resource.

In all honesty I didn't see that coming - some of the smaller features we got through, but we weren't able to argue the other points - an example cited was that Max AI would require multiple (think 10+) playthroughs to ensure all career paths etc could be completed. Even though we know the code and game more intimately than they do, ultimately the publisher writes the cheque for these patches. That isn't a signal to slate EA btw - they do have a point, but I'm a little gutted since we did put a significant effort on these extras. Fingers crossed we can convince them to include them in the next one

These features were finished, and a no-brainer. Reverting the changes were actually quite a pain in the arse and nearly as much work as the extra testing (IMO), because we understood the scope better than they did when this stuff was tested internally. It's probably a key motivation for WMD to get away from publisher control - they are a dieing breed : aside from marketing money, any developers with talent will be able to shape their own future.. and that's much better for people who give a shit about the games that they play, and for those who wanted to be involved in the community development.

Amon37

Just came to say the game just screwed me. Im in first in the 3rd race of the muscle series dakota at night and wife is watching me race. Im in first the whole race but after I cross the the finish line I only get second. I should have uploaded that shit to youtube. The other time the race glitched and as soon as the race started the game put me in 8th even though my car was phsyically in first

P.s. Im using a gamepad and the handling is nowhere near gt5 or forza 3 and the ai fucking blows. They have no qualms about crashing you and don't even attempt to get out of your way. Thank god for gamefly.

PS3 version

mclaren777 said:
First glimpse of Slightly Mad Studios' next project...

"One of our internal concepts atm is Stunt Racer meets Destruction Derby." -- Ian Bell, Head of Development, Slightly Mad Studios

A5TRB.jpg

VXNUG.jpg

He's released some more shots, this time featuring an old (Lotus?) F1 car.

This is an early WIP teaser of one car from the first set we'll have in the initial builds for testing by the Investors.
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29587&d=1308311258
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29588&d=1308311604

Every aspect of setting up the car is visible live and the car will react as it should.

There will be a computational fluid dynamic suite (with live tuning) for altering aero.

There are 1000 other things but let's wait for the live date (coming soon).

The cars probably resolve to half a million polys at times.

It's just our current reflection tech 'turned up to 11' in DX 11. This is the garage scene and we plan to have it exactly the same in game.

We have more polys in the suspension in the new stuff than we had in the whole car in Shift 2.

On track we plan to have the same level of detail showing the environment around the car of course.

We're running a fully deferred engine. It's the state of the art as of now.

Our new engine in development is a generation ahead of our one used in Shift 2.

good grief.

a shit hot looking, physics beast of a new grand prix legends :D

Some of his thoughts on Shift 2:

On Shift 2, really on a good PC I maintain it's a very realistic drive (ignoring a couple of poor cars and some dodgy default setups (there was a reason for that, we had to have all cars drivable at Ebisu with the single default setup)). There is some softening of the tyre response of a car on the edge but it's VERY subtle and closer to reality than you might think. It's a case of us softening the tyre wall stiffness a little only.

I recall Henrik Roos (my co head at SimBin, not a bad word at all, I founded it after all ) constantly telling me that when he drove the real FIA GT cars they were very comfortable on and over the limit - in a way that we didn't capture with GTR and even with GTR2. He told me GTR2 was too unforgiving and that these cars can be drifted comfortably. He said it's not the fastest way around the track and it kills the tyres but that's how they handle. We failed to deliver that ease on the limit partly due to limitations (and what we later found to be a bug) in the ISI tyre physics code that caused the grip to 'fall off a cliff' at the limits. Having said that, the input lag on release with PC was crap, I'm driving the lag free version of course, which you can be soon.

Anyway, what we have planned for the initial builds of the WMD project is exactly what you and the hardcore simmers will want (because that's what we want).

We have absolutely no control over EA's marketing of Shift. It's their IP.

On the floaty issue. I think the combination of very soft default springing and damping in the setups and the input lag issue combined to cause that for the most part. The 'softer than they really should be' tyre sidewalls we went with for pad playability contributes a little and the rest is due to the skid audio cues setup we went with I think. We trigger the skid audio well below 100% grip limit to give the player an indication that grip loss is coming. Again, something that is helpful with pad/console play. With the WMD project being PC all the way (then downporting to console later) we'd not do the above and would add it back for the consoles later. Probably link it to wheel use or not actually.

markao

SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED Legends & Speedhunters DLC Packs Coming to PC…FOR FREE!

Today we’ve got some very exciting news…the SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED Legends and Speedhunters DLC Packs are coming to PC players around the world at no charge!

Beginning June 30th, the DLC packs will be available to download, for free, from Origin.com. In case you missed it: the Legends Pack features a dozen cars and 5 new tracks from racing's golden age, and the Speedhunters Pack added two new game modes - Drag and Standing Mile - as well as 14 new vehicles to try against your friends for epic Autolog battles.

Below are detailed instructions on how to download and install the free SHIFT 2 PC DLC packs from Origin:

Newly purchasing Shift 2 Unleashed:
1. Select PCDD or PC Packaged platform of Shift 2 Unleashed on store.origin.com
2. Shift 2 Unleashed + PC DLC will be added to cart automatically
3. Checkout (create an account or sign-in if already have an account)
4. Upon successful purchase, you will receive a confirmation page and email which will include the following redemption instructions:
a. Download and install Origin (for new Origin users).
b. Open Origin and navigate to your “My Games” tab to download and install Shift 2 Unleashed.
c. After installing Shift 2 Unleashed, return to your “My Games” tab to download and install your DLC.
d. Run game to play.

Already owns Shift 2 Unleashed:
1. Find/Navigate to DLC product details page on store.origin.com
2. From Overlay, select version of base game to add to cart:
a. Packaged (purchased on disc from a retailer)
b. EA Store/Origin Download (purchased as a digital download)
c. Other Digital Download (purchased as a digital download from third party retailers)
3. Checkout (create an account or sign-in if already have an account)
4. Upon successful purchase, will receive confirmation page and email which will include the following redemption instructions:
a. Download and install Origin (for new Origin users).
b. Open Origin and navigate to your “My Games” tab to download and install your DLC. You must have Shift 2 Unleashed currently installed on your machine.
c. Run game to play.

We can’t wait to see you guys on the new tracks, in your new cars, battling in the new Drag and Standing Mile modes!

After multiple games were EA neglected PC users, this comes a nice and welcomed surprise!! Even though it seems a origin origin something promotion ;)

@ Wax Free Vanilla, I'm not sure how familiar you are with Ian Bell, but the man is rather enthusiastic about things not yet released, or as others would say, knows how to hype ;)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
markao said:
SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED Legends & Speedhunters DLC Packs Coming to PC…FOR FREE!

After multiple games were EA neglected PC users, this comes a nice and welcomed surprise!! Even though it seems a origin origin something promotion ;)

@ Wax Free Vanilla, I'm not sure how familiar you are with Ian Bell, but the man is rather enthusiastic about things not yet released, or as others would say, knows how to hype ;)
my interest in possibly purchasing this game for PC has slightly risen now. But I am wondering....do any of the mods improve framerate/performance and get rid of the stuttering many people complained about?

markao

isamu said:
my interest in possibly purchasing this game for PC has slightly risen now. But I am wondering....do any of the mods improve framerate/performance and get rid of the stuttering many people complained about?
Missed your question Isamu; As far as I know, the stutters were due to VRam filled up and were gone when you lowered your settings (if necessary). First patch also improved performance, so have not seen people complaining about it. There still seem to be issues for people with SLI/Crosfire set-ups, but those reports are kind of all over the place, from 100% working to not, so not sure ;)

But mean reason for posting is , that patch and FREE PC DLC is live, you have to get it though Origin (see post above)

orogon_shift2_dlc0nc3.jpg

markao

AEREC said:
So I can install the DLCs from Origin to my steam installation of Shift 2?
Read info post 774, select option c: Other Digital Download (purchased as a digital download from third party retailers)

I think it should work that way ;)

NEOPARADIGM said:
Just bumping to say I've fallen in love with this game.
Same here.

The more time I spend with this game the more it grows on me, like a leather jacket, slowly comforming and personalizing to your shape. The more I fiddle with the tuning options and get a true "feel" for each tweak the more I fall in love with the physical model underlying the car handling.

I think the biggest thing for me right now is just how 3-dimensional everything feels. The tracks are far more than just flat surfaces, and you can feel the curves and bends and inclines, and how your suspension reacts, along with very subtle losses of stability. The end result of this is that the driving feels more like an entire system at work, and thus each car ends up feeling very different from the rest.

Track selection is also a beast in this game - I'm still running into tracks I didn't know were even there. There are like 5 or 6 different layouts for London (you have to keep scrolling to the right to see them), and all of them are awesome to race.

Yeah. I'm loving it. But I still need to learn more about reading the tire temp telemetry. Its still a matter of guesswork and trial and error for me when setting camber and toe settings.

Edit: I think this game would have received a more positive reception form console racing fans if the controller and car defaults were better tuned for racing from the get-go. As it is, for each car I buy I have to follow the same pattern: Buy suspension upgrades, brakes, body kit, and racing cockpit, and then reduce tire pressure, stiffen the springs and lower ride height. After a few laps I fine tune those settings and save them as a baseline. Once that's done the driving feels great. You just have to take the time to break each new car in.

Dilly

Banned

AEREC

markao said:
Great, sorry for the misinformation, but I guess that's typically EA, not mentioning the fact that Steam does not count as a digital 3rd party :(

But glad you got is sorted out ;)

no problem...EA has been advertising it as an origin exclusive im pretty sure...I was in the middle of DLing it from origin when I saw the steam update.

op_ivy

i really gotta get back into playing this, but it definitely requires me setting up my wheel to get into - a pad just doesnt seem to cut it

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
markao said:
Missed your question Isamu; As far as I know, the stutters were due to VRam filled up and were gone when you lowered your settings (if necessary). First patch also improved performance, so have not seen people complaining about it. There still seem to be issues for people with SLI/Crosfire set-ups, but those reports are kind of all over the place, from 100% working to not, so not sure ;)

op_ivy said:
i really gotta get back into playing this, but it definitely requires me setting up my wheel to get into - a pad just doesnt seem to cut it

4 Questions bros:

1)What wheel do you have?
2)What are yer PC specs?
3)Are you getting a rock 60fps?
4)Are a shit load of people playing online on PC?

markao

isamu said:
4 Questions bros:

1)What wheel do you have?
2)What are yer PC specs?
3)Are you getting a rock 60fps?
4)Are a shit load of people playing online on PC?
G25
5850, I5 750
no, 45/85 (depending on night/day, start race, etc.)
no, PtoP multi-player without dedicated servers is a big no from the more sim orientated community.

When in doubt and seeing there is no real active MP community, I would suggest to wait for a nice Steam/Origin sale to pick it up ;)

The DLC that has just been released (for free) for the PC version of Shift unleashed is a lot better than I had expected. The historic tracks (Rouen-les-Essarts 1952, Silverstone 1975, Hockenheimring 1982) all look incredible.

shift2pic_22138.jpg

markao

Already knew Rouen from rFactor, but it is really a great classic track to drive on. I have not had the time to drive all cars, but my favorite one so far.

(click for full res.)

sneaky77

I am around 73% complete in career and i really hope they get to develop a Shift 3, I have grown to really enjoy this game. And the Legends DLC was brilliant.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has there every been an explanation of why when your tires skid in this game it makes a noise like someone rattling a rock inside a coffee can? Is that a bug?

It's funny because I remember seeing a talk at GDC by an audio engineer from Turn10 talking about the most important sound you author for a racing game is the tire skid noise, as it's integral to feedback for the player. He went on about how many iterations of skid noise he makes so the player understands how much pressure and stress the tire is under and how to correct.

Not in Shift 2. No tire skid/squeal noise at all. You just hear someone shaking a rock in a can, and then as soon as you come out of the skid the noise passes out the rear speakers like the can fell off your car.

What the hell!

markao

FlyinJ said:
Has there every been an explanation of why when your tires skid in this game it makes a noise like someone rattling a rock inside a coffee can? Is that a bug?

It's funny because I remember seeing a talk at GDC by an audio engineer from Turn10 talking about the most important sound you author for a racing game is the tire skid noise, as it's integral to feedback for the player. He went on about how many iterations of skid noise he makes so the player understands how much pressure and stress the tire is under and how to correct.

Not in Shift 2. No tire skid/squeal noise at all. You just hear someone shaking a rock in a can, and then as soon as you come out of the skid the noise passes out the rear speakers like the can fell off your car.

What the hell!

I think the sound you are describing is marbles/rocks/stuff hitting the undertray of your car.

SmokyDave

Grabbed this on Steam last night and I'm really looking forward to sinking my teeth into it. Before I begin though, are there any essential PC patches / mods I should know about?

Cheers!

markao

SmokyDave said:
Grabbed this on Steam last night and I'm really looking forward to sinking my teeth into it. Before I begin though, are there any essential PC patches / mods I should know about?

Cheers!
Steam version, so the first question, will take care of it self ;) . But there should be two patches and a free DLC, so check if you have the "Legends cars" after Steam updated your game. Make sure you have enough FPS, if possible, when playing the game, makes huge difference in the feel (car reaction/handling).

MODS, have not seen any essential game improving mods, people are working on an "Unofficial Community Patch" over at NoGrip, so you could keep an eye the progress for that one.

There all kind of minor tweaks, changes, etc...available here: NoGrip - Shift 2 downloads.

Septimius

NORDSCHLEIFE AT NIGHT?!?! THE FULL FUCKIN' THING? AT NIGHT? What kind of horse manure, goat wank, go die in a fire, Sam, is this piece of shit doing in the career?! Am I supposed to go and memorize the entire Nordschleife layout so by heart that I can actually get through it at Hard difficulty with Elite steering?! This is the single steepest difficulty curve I've ever seen in a racing game, and it's all for fucking naught. It's utterly pointless and completely fucking infuriating, added with a sprinkle of steaming donkey shit that I've ever had to endure in a game I thought was serious.

After this, I don't know. I'm contemplating just throwing the game out and uninstalling it first. Not just because of the sheer fucking infuriating nonsense it brought along, but the possibility that it'll do it again. If I wanted some sort of 'bend over and take it all' challenge, I'd challenge myself - I'd never throw this kind of shit at others. This is just beyond stupid and insipid. I can see the merit in a full race around this track at day, but driving it at night with nothing to guide you is just not plausable, especially when all the AIs march on like it's midday and they've done nothing but drive around this track for centuries. Fucking ridiculous. The spunk of a dead 100 year old would be a more pleasant experience to stomach than this fucking insipid garbage. I'm out.

I need help.

I bought Shift 2 (360) a week ago and am 7% into career mode. The past couple of races, I've hit a wall; steering feels twitchy, the automatic transmission is getting stuck for a second or two coming out of turns and the AI has begun spinning me out in turns.

Finishing fifth feels like an accomplishment -- should this be the case?

It appears I am not (or was not) alone. I toned down steering sensitivity and am preparing to tune my car -- something I've done little of in sim games in the past.

Shift 2 is fun, but it's default settings are total shit.

Top Bottom