• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
got back into playing this after a break (from games in general) with the endurance race at mount panorama. holy shit, what a track! no wonder its one of the most requested for the biggies, and i sure hope f4 has it included.

i absolutely adore this game - the handling is terrific and feels very realistic, even if they way it drives and simulates driving is very different from the traditional sims like gt and forza. the graphics are great, particularly the lighting, and the ai is fantastic to race against. i literally have no idea how people can bring up the ai as a complaint - i find it way more realistic and fun to race against then just about any other game.

jlevel13 said:
There are different handling models you can choose, up to expert, which is supposed to be the most "realistic." Expert definitely feels a bit different than Shift 1, mainly because there is less slide when you go around turns, so you do have to use more proper techniques to take a corner / less arcade. It feels different, but for me overall, not really better - there is something really inconsistent in the handling that I can't quite get the hang of. Even on expert, the cars still seem floaty like in SHift 1, to me, and they bounce around more than they should as you pick up speed (annoying blur effects are also still there). I'd say it's 90% the same feeling as Shift 1. It still just feels really messy to me.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it's just a matter of the helmet cam? Do the same problems come up on bumper cam?

jlevel13

33-Hit-Combo said:
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it's just a matter of the helmet cam? Do the same problems come up on bumper cam?

I use the cockpit view (and a wheel) not the helmet cam, but it's a good question. The different views may give one a different experience, which could account for some of the different opinions about the handling throughout the thread. I wonder.

jlevel13 said:
I use the cockpit view (and a wheel) not the helmet cam, but it's a good question. The different views may give one a different experience, which could account for some of the different opinions about the handling throughout the thread. I wonder.

Yeah, I really do think that the camera bobbing about could affect peoples perspective on the dynamics. Think I'll be picking up a copy soon then, the new DLC pack has some nice cars and I'm really quite interested in the customisation aspect.

Dibbz

Help me out guys. I'm tempted to pick this up since it's £20 on Amazon. Thing is I hated Shift 1 but love GT5. I've been trying to find some videos of shift 2 and it seems that there is a handling mode called elite or something. Is this some sort of PC mod or is it available on all platforms?

From what I've seen this elite mode seems to handle a lot more closer to GT5 than Shift 1 ever did.

Also I use a G25 and what's the FFB like with this on the PS3?

Should I pick this up?

Dibbz said:
Help me out guys. I'm tempted to pick this up since it's £20 on Amazon. Thing is I hated Shift 1 but love GT5. I've been trying to find some videos of shift 2 and it seems that there is a handling mode called elite or something. Is this some sort of PC mod or is it available on all platforms?

From what I've seen this elite mode seems to handle a lot more closer to GT5 than Shift 1 ever did.

Should I pick this up?

1) Elite handling is an option on all platforms.
2) This game handles NOTHING like GT5, but as to whether that's good or bad is going to depend on you. I don't particularly like it, but I'm getting used to it. It's okay.
3) It's worth playing just for the sound and damage, and overall intensity.

$0.02

edit: I know nothing about wheels except that people have been bitching like crazy about how this game performs with them. But there was a recent patch, so ...

Dibbz said:

Should I pick this up?
Elite mode is available on all consoles, but seriously... it really isn't "alot closer to GT5". I played it on the PC and didn't enjoy it at all. Granted it was alot better then shift 1 for sure, but it still felt weird. Feedback felt like it was in reverse, cars seemed to understeer more then they should, almost felt like trying to drive a blob of jelly.

This was all vanilla, no mods and patches, so I can't say how the game is with those. Apparently the recent patch made the PS3 version alot better.

op_ivy

if you HATED shift 1, you probably wont like shift 2. if you thought shift 1 was bad, but could have been good with some refinement, you'd probably like shift 2.

Dibbz

Ah doesn't sound good.

Just had a quick look on youtube and judging by this video the handling seems pretty good. Car doesn't seem to have mountains of grip like in shift 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRXHKAX3zo

This is tearing me apart
LISA!

Maybe someone who has tried the new patches on the PS3 can chime in and give their opinion.

Dibbz said:
Ah doesn't sound good.

Just had a quick look on youtube and judging by this video the handling seems pretty good. Car doesn't seem to have mountains of grip like in shift 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRXHKAX3zo

This is tearing me apart
LISA!

Maybe someone who has tried the new patches on the PS3 can chime in and give their opinion.

Wait, really? It felt like the cars all had locked diff's... I couldn't keep the car straight.

Dibbz

Yeah from what I remember cars were to grippy and there was no sense of wieght because of it. Cars would go where you pointed them instead of them understeering. From youtube videos it looks like this is fixed but I might be wrong, I can't tell without playing it myself.

Dibbz

Thanks neo. Sounds like a good idea to see what the folk over at gt planet think about shift now that you bring them up.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
op_ivy said:
got back into playing this after a break (from games in general) with the endurance race at mount panorama. holy shit, what a track! no wonder its one of the most requested for the biggies, and i sure hope f4 has it included.

i absolutely adore this game - the handling is terrific and feels very realistic, even if they way it drives and simulates driving is very different from the traditional sims like gt and forza. the graphics are great, particularly the lighting, and the ai is fantastic to race against. i literally have no idea how people can bring up the ai as a complaint - i find it way more realistic and fun to race against then just about any other game.

Hey op_ivy what platform are you playing on bro? PC? If so, what kind of framerates are you getting and do you get any stutters/lag/slopwdowns? Or did the patch fix that?

33-Hit-Combo said:
So, is the handling that bad? I'm quite interested and the data used to model their vehicles sound very comprehensive, but there are people arguing both ways.

If you've driven high performance cars in real life/tracked before, you'll probably dislike Shift 2. It doesn't feel realistic at all. Handling feels very 'fake.'

It's 'floaty' as some people have said and numb. Really, really hate the way the S2000 feels in that game, has none of the razor sharp edge that it should.

markao

NEOPARADIGM said:
Hey Dibbz, just happened to run across this post on GTPlanet:

i couldn't get my G25 to work properly with the PC version. It works flawlessly on PS3.

fwiw

Cheers.
I have a G25 and a PC and it works flawless, non of the issues with floatiness, numbness or lack of grip other mention. Of course the default set-ups on the cars are to soft and rather understeering, but you can easily address that by changing the car set-ups.

Just had some fun with hot lapping a Z06 at Nurburgring GP (youtube) and car behaves as it should do. Not all cars are as good as others, specially when you consider the upgrading, but in general have not encountered really bad behaviour (besides lotus) and GT1/GT3 feels really good and are great to drive.

Any one up for some hotlap competition, standard car/track, basics rules and some competition fun, seeing how bad PtoP MP part is?

op_ivy

isamu said:
Hey op_ivy what platform are you playing on bro? PC? If so, what kind of framerates are you getting and do you get any stutters/lag/slopwdowns? Or did the patch fix that?

nah, 360 with fanatec wheel stand and the MS wheel.

After seeing the Corv hot lap, it does look floaty to me, the car looks to grip, ungrip, repeat without the driver doing anything to correct it. Few occasions where the front looks 100% planted while the rear is just swinging around the bend too! Hasn't put me off though, I'm not looking for a simulator, just an enjoyable game.

EDIT: I still wanna see how it looks on bumper cam though.

markao said:
Any one up for some hotlap competition, standard car/track, basics rules and some competition fun, seeing how bad PtoP MP part is?

me.

in the mean time how does this compare?

ps3 & g25

the car setup is by Terronium-12 @ gtplanet:

Maserati MC12 GT1

PI Rating: A-1810

Tires and Brakes

F. Tire Pressure - 43.00
R. Tire Pressure - 47.00
Brake Balance - 49.00
Brake Pressure - 12.00

Alignment

Steering Lock - 18.00
Caster Angle - 13.00
F. Toe Angle - 22.00
R. Toe Angle - 22.00
F. Camber - 26.00
R. Camber - 30.00

Stance

F. Ride Height - 1.00
R. Ride Height - 1.00

Differential

L. Slip Acceleration Lock - 7.00
L. Slip Decceleration Lock - 6.00
L. Slip Preload - 0.00
Visco Electronic Lock - N/A

Aerodynamics

F. Downforce - 12.00
R. Downforce - 12.00

Springs

F. Sway Bar - 6.00
R. Sway Bar - 2.00
F. Spring Rate - 2.00
R. Spring Rate - 2.00
F. Bump Stop - 1.00
R. Bump Stop - 1.00

Dampers

F. Damper Fast Bump - 1.00
F. Damper Slow Bump - 1.00
F. Damper Fast Rebound - 2.00
F. Damper Slow Rebound - 2.00
R. Damper Fast Bump - 0.00
R. Damper Slow Bump - 0.00
R. Damper Fast Rebound - 0.00
R. Damper Slow Rebound - 0.00

Drivetrain

Final - 5.00
1st - 0.00 [Actual: 9.80]
2nd - 1.00 [Actual: 6.19]
3rd - 1.00 [Actual: 4.61]
4th - 1.00 [Actual: 3.81]
5th - 1.00 [Actual: 3.38]
6th - 1.00 [Actual: 2.92]
7th - N/A [Actual: N/A]

10 lap run @ road america, elite all driver aids off: 1:59:590

markao

33-Hit-Combo said:
After seeing the Corv hot lap, it does look floaty to me, the car looks to grip, ungrip, repeat without the driver doing anything to correct it. Few occasions where the front looks 100% planted while the rear is just swinging around the bend too! Hasn't put me off though, I'm not looking for a simulator, just an enjoyable game.

EDIT: I still wanna see how it looks on bumper cam though.
You have to excuse me for that one, I just found out that the replay (from were that video is taken), does not represent my real input. My best guess, game uses 900 degrees as standard and therefore mine (540) does not match it at all or something like that, but there is more input required than you see on that video.

I just captured a lap, same car, while driving live with Fraps (not my best, but driving while FPS hovers around 30 needs getting used to, or luckily on a PC not) and I think you can spot the difference. ;)

Corvette Z06 at Donington - cockpit view (live captured)

Cannot help you with hood view, do not like it ;)

markao

Wax Free Vanilla said:
me.

10 lap run @ road america, elite all driver aids off: 1:59:590
Ok let's do this.

- Everyone use your favorite GT1 car, think they all have same PI 1810 ?, track Road America, use your favorite weather settings and stick with two wheels on the tarmac at all time.

Is it possible to take a screenshot on Consoles ? If not, try to write down the sector time, I have no problem with whatever setting you use (does it matter help/grip ?) in game, just mention it.

I will try to keep track of it:

• 1 Wax Free Vanilla - 1:59:590 (elite - no aids) (Maserati MC12-GT1)

sneaky77

are the GT1 cars unlocked, even if you haven't beaten the championship yet?

I have a quick question about the handling models, is it just the default assists that change, or is it something under the hood that changes that is not option related?

markao said:
You have to excuse me for that one, I just found out that the replay (from were that video is taken), does not represent my real input. My best guess, game uses 900 degrees as standard and therefore mine (540) does not match it at all or something like that, but there is more input required than you see on that video.

I just captured a lap, same car, while driving live with Fraps (not my best, but driving while FPS hovers around 30 needs getting used to, or luckily on a PC not) and I think you can spot the difference. ;)

Corvette Z06 at Donington - cockpit view (live captured)

Cannot help you with hood view, do not like it ;)

Looks a bajillion times better! Much more to my satisfaction, good thing too as I only ordered it about 30 minutes ago. Thanks for the help!

Improved time:

Code:
  Sector 1        Sector 2        Sector 3        Time

43:269          41:421          34:333       1:59:023

I read over at no-grip that SMS are working on an extra level of AI for the next patch :D

markao

Wax Free Vanilla said:
I read over at no-grip that SMS are working on an extra level of AI for the next patch :D

Do not get your hope up to much, as speeding up the AI, will no doubt cause problems (faster cars/high speed corners/braking) and need excessive testing and cannot see EA approve/pay for this. So I will be surprised if we get it, would love it, game needs it, but cannot see it happening.

Mean while, I did 12 laps in Matech Ford and need some more tuning, braking still to unsettling and gearing is off and need some more practice for middle sector ;)

Added my lap time and WFV improved to the list
Code:
Name		 	Sector 1	Sector 2	Sector 3	 Time		  Car			Settings

Wax Free Vanilla         43:269		 41:421		 34:333		[B]1:59:023[/B]	Maserati MC12-GT1	Elite - No Aids
Markao                   43:582		 42:558		 33:965 	[B]2.00:105[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - No Aids

markao

sneaky77 said:
are the GT1 cars unlocked, even if you haven't beaten the championship yet?

I have a quick question about the handling models, is it just the default assists that change, or is it something under the hood that changes that is not option related?
I don't know the answer to either of your two questions, but;

1) Could you try "Quick" and than see if you can buy one ? Otherwise it might be better to use a car that is available earlier on in the game.

2) The original game used different grip levels for different modes, not sure about this one. But can you use/select all aids in Elite mode?

mclaren777

Eight pages of in-depth information about Shift 1 & 2 and signing up for a free account is really easy....

Part 1
Part 2

The physics model is a full 3D scope engine capable of creating the car dynamics based on parameters taken from the specs of the real-life car – those provided by manufacturers directly and those provided from extensive research. Chassis, suspension, aerodynamics and tyres all generate their forces in 3D in real time. We run these models and recalculate the car state at 400 times per second which makes for a very convincing experience as nothing is left to guesswork.

The chassis model in itself is pretty extensive (approximately 150 parameters). Basics include weight and CG heights and positions and we model the weight and inertia of the sprung and un-sprung masses separately along with spin inertias of the un-sprung items (wheels, brake discs etc). There are 3D suspension geometry parameters for all inner/outer points of a double wishbone along with the tie-rod and damper placements.

The dampers themselves have slow and fast parameters (n/mm/sec) with adjustable switchover points and bump stops with their own stiffness settings. Differentials are the standard ‘Salisbury’ type with accel/deccel lock settings and visco electronic diffs are also modelled along with inputs for spring rate. Brake torque and brake heating are monitored on a per wheel basis in order to get the heating right for brake pad fade and disc glows.

The tyre model is based on the ‘brush model’ slip curve generation. Core parameters here include: cornering/braking/self-aligning stiffness, load and camber sensitivities, heating parameters, rolling resistance and base grip of the rubber in longitudinal/lateral directions. The tyre model therefore is class leading (if not the best) in the sim industry.

markao

mclaren777 said:
Eight pages of in-depth information about Shift 1 & 2 and signing up for a free account is really easy....

Part 1
Part 2
Already posted, but Eurogamer(digitalfoundry) also posted it, you do not need an account for that site ;)

And had to do few laps before going to bed last night, needed to brake that 2 min barrier :p Did mess up second corner and lost some time there, but at least a 1 min. xxx

Updated list:
Code:

Wax Free Vanilla         43:269		 41:421		 34:333		[B]1:59:023[/B]	Maserati MC12-GT1	Elite - No Aids
Markao                   43:769		 42:023		 33:769 	[B]1.59:561[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - No Aids

Dilly

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Vehicles felt far more weighty/realistic than they do in Shift 2.

Shift 2 feels like Hot Pursuit 2010 with minor physics tweaks. And compared to Forza 3 and GT5, Shift 2 feels so amateurish.

Anyone that's tracked or driven a good sports car proficiently will tell you how awkward Shift 2 feels.

To me it's the opposite.

GRID was terrible with a wheel. The last thing that GRID was like was realistic.

sneaky77

Well my best Road America time is kinda embarrassing in comparison:

Sector1: 45:312
Sector2: 43:153
Sector3: 35:435

Total: 2:03:900

Matech Ford GT1 Elite

markao

sneaky77 said:
Well my best Road America time is kinda embarrassing in comparison:

Sector1: 45:312
Sector2: 43:153
Sector3: 35:435

Total: 2:03:900

Matech Ford GT1 Elite
Don't let it bother you to much, I know easily sad. Just let me try to help you a little by posting my set-up and see if you like it.
Only try to focus on the last and second corner of your lap. Try to enter them from a wide line as possible (comfortable), so you can go full throttle as quickly as possible (long straights so you gain more time than you loose) and stick to 3rd gear for both. (keeps car smooth/rolling).

ra_matech_ford-gt_setunitp.jpg

For me, changing gearing, so I finally hit limiter at end of the straight, better traction out of last/2nd corner and a little more camber, seem to help.

Code:

Markao                   43:121		 41:975		 33:549 	[B]1.58:645[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - No Aids
sneaky77                 45:312		 43:153		 35:435 	[B]2.03:900[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - No Aids

i got a 1:58:788 by dropping the front and rear aero by 2 pts.

Code:

Markao                   43:121		 41:975		 33:549 	[B]1.58:645[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - No Aids
Wax Free Vanilla         43:534		 41:549		 33:705		[B]1:58:788[/B]	Maserati MC12-GT1	Elite - No Aids
sneaky77                 45:312		 43:153		 35:435 	[B]2.03:900[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - No Aids

will tweak the setup more tomorrow.

sneaky77

Thanks for the setup tip i will definitely give it a shot. I know I'm not the fastest but it was still fun shaving time off bit by bit. I also got the road America badge in the process lol. I wonder if I could drop a second just with a wheel instead of controller on the 360. I only have abs on. I tried with it off and it help on some corners and killed me in others

markao

sneaky77 said:
Thanks for the setup tip i will definitely give it a shot. I know I'm not the fastest but it was still fun shaving time off bit by bit. I also got the road America badge in the process lol. I wonder if I could drop a second just with a wheel instead of controller on the 360. I only have abs on. I tried with it off and it help on some corners and killed me in others
Try to lower the steering lock, which is set for my G25, I presume a far lower value (12/14)will feel less twitchier on a controller and also add (at least) two bumps to the down-force. I'm going the other direction of Wax Free Vanilla, and I added (7-7) wing, which helps in the middle sector but is so annoying on all those long straights

i wasn't comfortable with the lower down-force setting so i bumped it back up to 12/12, dropped the final drive by 1 and adjusted the brake balance to 55:

Code:

Wax Free Vanilla         42:948		 41:481		 33:792		[B]1:58:221[/B]	Maserati MC12-GT1	Elite - No Aids

sneaky77

markao said:
Try to lower the steering lock, which is set for my G25, I presume a far lower value (12/14)will feel less twitchier on a controller and also add (at least) two bumps to the down-force. I'm going the other direction of Wax Free Vanilla, and I added (7-7) wing, which helps in the middle sector but is so annoying on all those long straights

I shall give this a shot this evening

markao

Slight changes in set-up, 7-8 wing as the biggest changes, some minor tire pres and dif also and this gets the car better trough the middle sector. However those 82 thousands probably mean I have to try again though tomorrow :p

Trying out some things for youtube seeing what works better, so here is my replay of my fastest lap. Maybe someone here knows, does it matter if you capture/render in 60 FPS, I mean youtube is 30 FPS anyway, for the quality? And does it matter if you capture at 1280-720 or capture at 1920-1080 and render it to 1280-720, which better quality?

Changed set-up:

Code:

Markao                   42:975		 41:509		 33:597 	[B]1.58:081[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - No Aids - G25

Wax Free Vanilla         42:948		 41:481		 33:792		[B]1:58:221[/B]	Maserati MC12-GT1	Elite - No Aids

sneaky77                 45:312		 43:153		 35:435 	[B]2.03:900[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - Cont-abs

Got this in the post today, had some pretty good fun on it! I have a pretty poor wheel, but it worked fine for GT5. It seemed to do reasonably well, though I would prefer it if it had a larger resolution/locking range.

The steering feels a little disconnected, I think it may just be due to the weak FF on my wheel. I found that as a result my driving style was a lot more tame in comparison to GT5, what are other people's opinions?

Overall I'm having a good time!

same setup as before:

Code:

Wax Free Vanilla         43:281		 41:359		 33:382		[B]1:58:022[/B]	Maserati MC12-GT1	Elite - No Aids - G25

Markao                   42:975		 41:509		 33:597 	[B]1.58:081[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - No Aids - G25

sneaky77                 45:312		 43:153		 35:435 	[B]2.03:900[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - Cont-abs

i would have got a 1:57:*** but i locked up going into turn 3

absolutely nailed sector 2, i don't think i can go any faster there.

i ran a little wide in the last turn which cost me a tenth or two: 1:57:588

Code:

Wax Free Vanilla         42:976		 40:966		 33:646		[B]1:57:588[/B]	Maserati MC12-GT1	Elite - No Aids - G25

sneaky77                 44:380		 42:866		 34:905 	[B]2:02:600[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - Cont-abs

markao

33-Hit-Combo said:
Random question, can I save my 'activation code' for a later date? I haven't entered it yet..
No answer from me, means I have no clue :p I think mine came in an e-mail (EADM) and I needed to enter it to get the game to download, not sure though.

And I tried few things with wing settings, but did not matter to much, as I was either loosing in the 1st or gaining in the 2nd sector. Managed to do a sub 58 (wing 8-10) and even though there were few minor errors, I think I more or less reached my limit.
Code:

Wax Free Vanilla         42:976		 40:966		 33:646		[B]1:57:588[/B]	Maserati MC12-GT1	Elite - No Aids - G25

Markao                   43:113		 41:241		 33:492 	[B]1.57:846[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - No Aids - G25

sneaky77                 44:380		 42:866		 34:905 	[B]2:02:600[/B]	Matech Ford GT		Elite - Cont-abs

I'm going to try that Ford later.

I gained all the time in sector 2 by aggressively riding the curb at turn 6 in 2nd gear, then a quick shift into 3rd set me up nicely for that long flat right hander. It felt good.

pm5PA.jpg

I reckon a 56 is possible if you hook up a perfect lap.

mclaren777

First glimpse of Slightly Mad Studios' next project...

"One of our internal concepts atm is Stunt Racer meets Destruction Derby." -- Ian Bell, Head of Development, Slightly Mad Studios

A5TRB.jpg

VXNUG.jpg

op_ivy

mclaren777 said:
Probably not. They're not even sure if this project will be turned into a full game.

makes more sense to have it in its own thread then the shift 2 thread - which should be shift 2 centric, but what do i care?

Top Bottom