• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

heyf00L

$18 is awesome. But I'm scared of the EA Store.

Plus, maybe I'm crazy, but I'm thinking of going 360 for this. With the poor PC optimization I'm scared that my 8800 GT won't hack it. Also, my dad loves racing games, and I want to take it over to their house sometimes. I'm not lugging me PC over there.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I didn't FRAP it, but I have to say it never dips below 30 for me. I don't detect framerate issues at all. But I am not a good judge of thus according to some on GAF (see recent Castlevania thread)

kamspy

isamu said:
Can you define "super smooth"? 60fps rock solid with NO drops whatsoever? Some people like to define super smooth as 30fps or even 20fps(lol)

I've got a 275 and a PII 955 and get 60fps+, everything high, no AA.

jlevel13

I got this with the $18 deal (cheap enough that it doesn't really matter) and I have mixed feelings so far. Haven't been able to put much time in (I've just hit level 7) and there are definitely some things I like about it - the sounds - the tracks, but so far it just has a floaty feel that puts me off - like the cars don't have enough weight. Maybe I can eventually figure out how to make adjustments to get rid of that feeling, but so far my tweaks haven't changed much. I'm also not too keen on these early two/three lap races - I know almost all racing games are like that, but it just feels so insignificant - it's a mechanic that I'm tired of - it doesn't feel like racing - it feels like grinding.

Veritas_

twinturbo2 said:
The Modern A Invitational is a pain. Sometimes I flip the McLaren, sometimes the engine blows halfway through.

Tell me about it. I've found that as the cars get faster the reckless AI gets to be a bigger problem. I don't know how many times an AI has turned into me and forced us both into a spin-out on corners. When you're going 100+ mph then those little bumps become unforgiving race ending crashes.

Veritas_ said:
Tell me about it. I've found that as the cars get faster the reckless AI gets to be a bigger problem. I don't know how many times an AI has turned into me and forced us both into a spin-out on corners. When you're going 100+ mph then those little bumps become unforgiving race ending crashes.
It gets even worse that AI cars don't act like your car. I remember trying to tune my car for hours to be able to seamlessly take high speed turns in Miami without sliding, like the AI, only to find out their car physics are modeled on the cheap and it was impossible for my car to handle in the same way.

That all but exhausted the hype I had to play this game for a while. Am giving it a rest until the mood strikes again.

The collisions physics in this game are a bit messed up.

It seems they only take speed into account and not angle/mass. For example if you hit a wall head on at slow speeds, nothing or almost nothing happens. But if you scrape a wall at high speeds the screen goes grey, and it shakes like mad like you had a major crash. Quite annoying.

kamspy

If anyone would be so kind as to add me or post their autolog ID, it would be swell.

mine is kamspy. I play Hot Pursuit as well.

mr stroke

isamu said:
Is there anyone here than run the PC version of this game at a constant rock solid 60fps or higher with all settings on high or max? If so, what are your specs? The alleged poor performance of the PC version is the main thing that keeps me from buying it.

Getting solid 35(heavy traffic)-60fps with everything maxed+AA+AF

i52500k+6990

been playing this all day and really enjoying it, game looks great and they nailed the headcam again, so intense at high speed.

Hawk269

Running at a solid 60 FPS. I have 16xAA through my control panel and super sampling as well and it never dips. Game looks great and seems to be really well made.

Any word on a patch to take of that annoying "cans in the trunk" sound effect? That is the most annoying thing about the game, you are racing along and it seriously sounds like cans bouncing around the trunk.

Hawk269 said:
Running at a solid 60 FPS. I have 16xAA through my control panel and super sampling as well and it never dips. Game looks great and seems to be really well made.

Any word on a patch to take of that annoying "cans in the trunk" sound effect? That is the most annoying thing about the game, you are racing along and it seriously sounds like cans bouncing around the trunk.

Can you take some screens? Something tells me the game is not actually using that amount of AA.

markao

kamspy said:
If anyone would be so kind as to add me or post their autolog ID, it would be swell.

mine is kamspy. I play Hot Pursuit as well.
Send you a PM with my autolog ID, not to fond of dropping it on open forums and getting invites from people I do not know/recognize the name;)

Added DLC stuff to OP, extremely disappointing, not the content love me some classics and car list + new tracks are amazing, but the fact it is not available for us PC consumers. :( But it's EA, so it does not come as a huge surprise, they just do not seam to care about PC (I should dig up that quote from the EA PR guy (saying the opposite) in an other thread, but not enough time)

My performance, AMD 5850 Intel I5 750 is without AA, close to a constant 60FPS or more. Just at the start, night races, the FPS drops to 35/40, but during race it gets up to 50/70. Normal day races at start 45/50 and than up to 70/80 during race. Only problem I still have is when AI crashes and the game stutters for a moment (specially night races (Enna/Willow Springs GT3 just played, it was really bad)

kamspy

I found out that disabling in game AF and forcing it through inspector makes the game look even better. There's an AA profile that, for some awesome reason, let's me get 1x2 super sampling with no noticable performance hit. The mod that disables trackside "bling" gives a great perf boost and I can't even tell what they took out. Yeah, the new helmet cam is great.

markao

kamspy said:
I found out that disabling in game AF and forcing it through inspector makes the game look even better. There's an AA profile that, for some awesome reason, let's me get 1x2 super sampling with no noticable performance hit. The mod that disables trackside "bling" gives a great perf boost and I can't even tell what they took out. Yeah, the new helmet cam is great.
All the "no real live EA billboards/adds" , my problem with it, also the crowds on the stands. I hope he will release one with crowd, no billboards soon.

kamspy

markao said:
All the "no real live EA billboards/adds" , my problem with it, also the crowds on the stands. I hope he will release one with crowd, no billboards soon.

He did. There are three mods now. One is no crowds and no bling. One is no crowds, one is no bling.

19Kilo

From VirtualR:

Since the official trailer only mentions the packs availability via Xbox LIVE & the Playstation Store, it looked like the pack would not be made available to PC gamers.

This might not be true after all as EA has released the following statement regarding a PC version:
“Although on April 26th the Legends pack will only be released on Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3 we haven’t forgotten about our PC community. Stay tuned for more news regarding the Legends pack becoming available on PC…”

I guess I can put my pitchfork away for now... :)

markao

19Kilo said:
From VirtualR:

Since the official trailer only mentions the packs availability via Xbox LIVE & the Playstation Store, it looked like the pack would not be made available to PC gamers.

This might not be true after all as EA has released the following statement regarding a PC version:
“Although on April 26th the Legends pack will only be released on Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3 we haven’t forgotten about our PC community. Stay tuned for more news regarding the Legends pack becoming available on PC…”

I guess I can put my pitchfork away for now... :)
IF and that's a big IF, me to ;)

@kampsy: Thx, did not know, will have a look at it.

CPCunha

Can we get Dennis4k to spend a couple of minutes with shift's graphic file so he can bedazzle us with PHOTOREALISM?!?! I think this engine has sooo much potential...wish i could find a decent graphics tweak guide for nvidia based pcs to make this run fullfiling all of its potential!

shit, that minimod for the pc version makes a huge difference to the ps3 version. the game is so much more enjoyable now. :D

i wonder if some of the car mods will work...

mr stroke

I take back my statement on performance. After playing this for 3 days straight, the performance sucks for a console port. Game just doesn't want to give a consistent frame rate, and generally hovers around 25-35 fps. wtf :(

Arucardo

markao said:
Did not notice it before, wheel is moving hands not, cool........just another bug that needs fixing ;)

This happened the next and last race of the championship to me, last corner last lap, second place would have been enough :p

test2j79t.gif

@Omiee, no idea, I have not seen something like that mentioned on any forum, yet.
I wonder if this is scripted/deliberate since the same exact thing happened to me on the last lap of that race (I managed to avoid it tho ;) ).

I've really taken a liking to this game now, spent most of last weekend playing this with the settings InsideSimRacing.tv had for their G27 with no assists and the Elite driving model. So far the best/closest race I've had was the Old vs New McLaren F1 vs MP4-12C race, came down to the last corner. I was in the F1 and the MP4 managed to out-brake me at one corner which is pretty rare I've noticed in this game, you can easily out-brake the AI in to corners most of the time even with the AI on hard.

Also, the Gumpert is a whole lot of fun to drive (especially when using a H-shifter), I love the surge of power that it gets at high revs. Sometimes when you're exiting a corner in 3rd gear you feel like you're close to losing it if you step on the throttle. The Bugatti vs Gumpert race in Monaco was fun, the Veyron didn't stand a chance.

In general the AI is a bit too easy for my taste, didn't have much trouble with them even in the same make series. They're not all that aggressive against me either, if I race clean and don't try to aggressively force myself ahead of an AI car in a corner I've rarely had them mess up my race. In my opinion it's a whole lot better than GT5 and about the same as Forza 3 (forza AI is also a bit too easy and even less aggressive). Of course I understand why the AI is still easy to beat on hard, since you're supposed to be able to pass them in just a few laps.

On a final note I tried the multiplayer mode and it was awful, half the players on the server were there just to try and ram you off the track. If you're really lucky you might find a good race online with randoms but I seriously can't recommend playing this online without knowing the other players. I wouldn't mind finding a group that wants to play this online semi-seriously on pc.

If any gaffers want to compare and compete against me on Autolog feel free to add me, my EA ID is the same as my gaf username. I won't be able to confirm the request before Thursday though and I mostly have time to play on weekends.

Sorry if the post is a bit broken, haha. I was just quickly writing down some thoughts I had on this game. I hope the upcoming patch fixes the force feedback bug (the ffb or the cars feel different in a race with AI compared to other modes like time attack, there's some kind of dampening present in races that's not there in some other modes).

saladine1

I honestly can't wait for this DLC which is something I don't say often.
Awesome selction of cars and a great idea in featuring classic racing tracks as well.
Not only that, but to integrate the aforementioned into the career is exactly how this type of DLC should be done.
It's all well and good to offer cars as DLC just to be able to hotlap or go online, but it makes much more sense to offer extra career tiers based on those cars and tracks...future racing games take note...

saladine1 said:
It's all well and good to offer cars as DLC just to be able to hotlap or go online, but it makes much more sense to offer extra career tiers based on those cars and tracks...future racing games take note...
+1 to this. This is how it should be done.

I'm also falling back in love with Shift 2, mercurial bitch of a game that it is ;P My fun is pretty much tied directly to how much I want to fiddle around with tuning. When you finally get a personalized setup, the game just feels right.

With that in mind maybe a DLC tuning trainer would be something Slightly Mad could look into. Sort of a virtual tuning expert there to talk about interesting aspects of your telemetry and offer advice in adjusting your settings. Its kind of a big subject to jump right into with only a small text blurb or two of guidance.

markao

Wax Free Vanilla said:
ps3 patch is up v1.01 35mb

From SMS dev at noGrip forum:

- Input processing, tweaked default wheel settings and fixed force muting problem. Addresses wheel lag/feel issues. (somewhat understated - a large code change to reduce latency is included improve both input and wheel animation delay)
- Fix Upgrade / garage screen crash / hang.
- Fix Logitech FFB.
- Fix tech hang on vehicle selection if own loaner car and it's upgraded it past initial class.
- Fix occasional logic flaw for redeeming voucher codes.
- Fix restarting or quitting a race while slow motion is active in replay
- Improved validation of lap times, scores and speeds:
- Fix don't report unrealistic records to stat servers.
- Fix don't store unrealistic records to profile if playing online.
- Fix : Reset unrealistic stats stored in the profile after successful signin.
- Fix : All constants controlling record validation can be overridden from server-side config.
- Fix drift scores above 3600 not appearing in Records.
- Fix : Don't send lap times in game reports when playing drift (fixes issue with Nevada Circle Night track sharing leaderboard id with Asia Drag Strip)

(this is unofficial and there's probably a few things I missed - the PC patch obviously includes all these fixes)

Kryten

A patch for the 360 version has come out to coincide with the DLC - any ideas on what's included in this version of the patch anyone?

jergrah

I finally got a chance to check this game out over the weekend on PS3. I thought all of the complaints about handling would be far fetched (I played the first on 360 and had no major gripes with it)....but man oh man does the handling with a controller suck. Ill admit that my first try I went in without changing all of the deadzone variables that people had mentioned.

Anyways -- I made a few changes based on setups in this thread and still found that driving with the controller was not an enjoyable experience.

I swapped over to my Logitech wheel and found it pretty enjoyable though. I ran through the first few career tracks and will most likely play through the full career. Ive been playing GT5 the last few months, so this is a nice change of pace for a bit.

Only reason I didnt go with my wheel from the get go was to see if the handling was as bad as people said and also so I could check out the helmet cam type view.

Also....is there an option to turn off the black-white effect when you make any contact? Seems kind of silly to just rub/graze a wall and have that effect take over the screen.

saladine1

Now this is classic racing at it's finest. There's nothing like carby fed motors and spongy suspension. No electronic aids to hold your hand. God I wish there was a new Classic Touring Car racing game.
I also love the classic tracks. Complete with correct time period characters,vegetation, lamp posts,old run-offs of days gone by...etc. What an era!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
havent been following the thread or news, but the DLC legends pack is out?

are the legends versions of the tracks much different from the versions on disc?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Markao said:
AMD 5850 Intel I5 750 is without AA, close to a constant 60FPS or more. Just at the start, night races, the FPS drops to 35/40, but during race it gets up to 50/70. Normal day races at start 45/50 and than up to 70/80 during race.

Uhmmm.. Strange, what settings/rez are you using? I have the same exact rig you have and no way I can achieve even 60fps while racing, with everything maxed out, no AA @1080p. Game runs worse than Shift 1 (post "AMD" patch) without looking that much better (if ever).

markao

Dash Kappei said:
Uhmmm.. Strange, what settings/rez are you using? I have the same exact rig you have and no way I can achieve even 60fps while racing, with everything maxed out, no AA @1080p. Game runs worse than Shift 1 (post "AMD" patch) without looking that much better (if ever).
I5 750 - 4GB ram, ATI 5850 (while gaming running at 800-1200)cat 11.3, res 1920-1200, Win7 ultimate 64.

In game all maxed, except for no AA and no blur.

@Saladine1, wish Legend pack was available for PC to :( , loved GTL and some of the classics mods (HistorX) for rFactor.

@ op_ivy; Yes and original lay-outs, so old Hockenheim with long straights in the forest with chicanes, Silverstone is probably even faster in the old lay-out and Rouen is a fantasic track IMO ( maybe you know it from rFactor virtua LM mod). On the official website they added the car and track info: Shift 2: Unleashed website

Kryten

op_ivy said:
havent been following the thread or news, but the DLC legends pack is out?

are the legends versions of the tracks much different from the versions on disc?

I grabbed the DLC last night (about 3am PST) and it's fantastic. The old tracks are really great and yes, in most cases they are VERY different. I've driven a lot of simulated laps around a modern Silverstone and it took about 3 laps to retrain my brain into remembering that Priory and Bridge don't exist in the Legends version.

The cars are ok (I haven't driven them all), it looks as though you get a tonne of them for free and only a few need in-game cash to buy.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
i7 @ 4.8ghz and two OCed gtx 560s nets me a wonderful sloppy jerky unstable 20-50fps.
One of the fastest times I've uninstalled a game.

Most settings high, 1080p and no AA.

22£ down the drain. I really need to stop buying these EA products.

Recently I've bought :

NFS HP
Bulletstorm
Dead space 2
Shift 2

And dead space 2 was the only game that wasn't a broken mess.

Sanjay

Corky said:
i7 @ 4.8ghz and two OCed gtx 560s nets me a wonderful sloppy jerky unstable 20-50fps.
One of the fastest times I've uninstalled a game.

Most settings high, 1080p and no AA.

22£ down the drain. I really need to stop buying these EA products.

Recently I've bought :

NFS HP
Bulletstorm
Dead space 2
Shift 2

And dead space 2 was the only game that wasn't a broken mess.

This game was horrible vanilla but after mods from the community its a great game.

Here's a list of some good ones:-

Removed All Crash Effects Mod
http://www.racedepartment.com/need-...5-download-removed-all-crash-effects-mod.html

No intro and outro movies
http://www.racedepartment.com/need-...ods/51600-download-no-intro-outro-movies.html

More Cam options and adds 360 button icons.
http://www.racedepartment.com/need-...fss2u-ultimate-camera-mod-lod-x360-icons.html

Also the game does have SLI working but right now you get flickering, hard to notice with the maps that are circuit based mind you. The dev did say there are working on this to fix it.

Added better AA too then what the game has from within.

35cg5qw.png

Time to reinstall :D

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
markao said:
I5 750 - 4GB ram, ATI 5850 (while gaming running at 800-1200)cat 11.3, res 1920-1200, Win7 ultimate 64.

In game all maxed, except for no AA and no blur.
Ugh, thanks. We even use the same OS.
i5 750 @stock, HD5850 1GB OCed, , 4GB ram, W7-U 64-bit, Catalyst 11.3, 1920x1080.
Not that I don't believe you (anything can happen in the crazy world of Pc gaming, sadly) but how do you know the specific framerate you're mentioning (enabling FRAPS even drags the performance down a bit for me)? I get less than 40fps average on details-heavy tracks and turning Ani16x on and shadows maxed out kill the framerate.
:/ I'm disappointed with this purchase, if I could get from 50 to 70 fps (I'd be more than happy with 60fps v-synched thru D3DO) like you say you do then it'd be golden.

markao

Dash Kappei said:
Ugh, thanks. We even use the same OS.
i5 750 @stock, HD5850 1GB OCed, , 4GB ram, W7-U 64-bit, Catalyst 11.3, 1920x1080.
Not that I don't believe you (anything can happen in the crazy world of Pc gaming, sadly) but how do you know the specific framerate you're mentioning (enabling FRAPS even drags the performance down a bit for me)? I get less than 40fps average on details-heavy tracks and turning Ani16x on and shadows maxed out kill the framerate.
:/ I'm disappointed with this purchase, if I could get from 50 to 70 fps (I'd be more than happy with 60fps v-synched thru D3DO) like you say you do then it'd be golden.

I always have FRAPS running and I even checked last night while playing if i wasnot imagining things. One thing I noticed that I have different is that I have AF lowest in game (tri-lin) and force 16 AF through CCC, looked better.

One other option, maybe it is the fact the game is mostly rather easy for me, meaning I'm ahead after 2nd/3rd corner not much AI cars to be drawn, could be different for you ?

Other than that, no idea, I have, due to earlier in this tread mentioned PC problems, a rather fresh install on a new HD, but I doubt that could make so much difference.

markao

First PC patch also released: EA/NFS downloads

Changelog:
PC Patch #1

This is the first PC Patch for SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED. Here are the bug fixes:

-Common - Online - Catch Up Events - All users are prompted with the same message at the start of a catchup pack/catchup duel event
-Cars - Car wheels intersect or float in the air when the player uses wheels wirh a different diameter to the AI
-Online – Catch Up Modes – Once in-game there is no onscreen objective based message for either the fast car or the slower car/pack.
-VIP Rewards - SHIFT1 PC does not write the entitlement that SHIFT2 looks for correctly
-Online Modes - The host's car is not visible to at least one of the clients in an online lobby
-Online - Players cars are occasionally crashing during rolling starts before the player takes control
-Screen Transistion - Autolog - Player can momentarily get stuck within autolog when launching an event via the speedwall
-Front end - Loading screen - Speedwall - First lap of event sometimes not being recorded by total time resulting in unobtainable World and Regional times
-Cars/tracks - Visually the steering wheel when racing in cockpit views appears overly sensitive at the beginning of the turning circle
-Online - lobby timer - Lobby timer is not appearing to reset back to 1:45 for the client players after a host migration takes place. The new host does see the timer reset.
-Autolog - Speedwall - Erroneous speedwall times - Times can be set within and event which are unrealistic and unfeasible to acquire.
-Tracks - Drift - The last corner on Miami Park Drift track now gives more drift points
-Career - Drift – AI opponent scores are very hard to beat on Miami Park Drift in the last event in Drift Championship
-Camera initialization bug - Certain player views do not initialize correctly at race start
-Physics & Handling - Input lag/delay present on steering wheels
-Cars - McLaren MP4-12C - The Modern A Invitational event cannot be completed with Full Damage settings due to engine blowout
-Online - If a client joins a lobby at the 00:10 mark, he will be stuck in a technical hang in the lobby and the other players will be stuck in a loading screen technical hang
-Cars - Team Need for Speed Mazda RX-8 - The game can remain in a tech hang in the loading screen of events\races when the Team NFS Mazda RX-8 car is used.
-Common - Online – Catch Up Modes – Once in-game there is no onscreen objective based message for either the fast car or the slower car/pack.
-VIP - NFS Undercover VIP not awarded when playing shift 2
-Retail Only - Players stuck on a black screen at the start of offline events
-Photo Mode - Tech hang seen when taking photos in certain resolutions
-VIP - Hot Pursuit LE writes a different entitlement to SE, thus will not be picked up by Shift 2 VIP

Have not had the time to try it out, but apparently overall performance improvement and reduced input lag that some were experiencing is gone.

And for those with dual/two nVidia GPU's, from Martin, SMS dev., temp fix untill nVidia update the drivers.

The perf stuff wasn't in the change log from EA (probably because it wasn't tracked as a bug). SLI/Crossfire tip copied from my reply on the other thread:

If you have NV Inspector change the SLI mode for Shift 2 to AFR2. Alternatively (although I haven't tested this with a patched retail copy) - renaming shift2u.exe to AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe should fix both SLI/Crossfire scaling while you wait for driver updates, once you've installed the patch.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
markao said:
First PC patch also released: EA/NFS downloads

Changelog:

Have not had the time to try it out, but apparently overall performance improvement and reduced input lag that some were experiencing is gone.
Good timing!

I bought the game from the EA UK site because it was half price and have only tried a race or two. I must admit the steering on my DFGT felt ok, but if this patch reduces any input lag (if any existed), it's all good.

If anyone plays on PC and wouldn't mind adding me to their Autolog, my username is StopItOmega

Picked this up yesterday on Steam and loving it so far. My only problem is the cockpit view is really freaking dark and I can barely see anything. The other views are nice and bright, but cockpit is really dark.

kamspy

mr stroke said:
I take back my statement on performance. After playing this for 3 days straight, the performance sucks for a console port. Game just doesn't want to give a consistent frame rate, and generally hovers around 25-35 fps. wtf :(

use the "no trackside bling mod" got me up to 60fps stapled. You won't even notice anything missing. I was in the same boat as you but this mod fixed it 100%. I even run 1x2 Supersampling through the control panel. For some reason, the engine runs better with that specific type of SS. Even moreso then just 2xMSAA.

If anyone wants the hex values for the Nvidia Inspector profile, I can post them

kamspy said:
use the "no trackside bling mod" got me up to 60fps stapled. You won't even notice anything missing. I was in the same boat as you but this mod fixed it 100%. I even run 1x2 Supersampling through the control panel. For some reason, the engine runs better with that specific type of SS. Even moreso then just 2xMSAA.

If anyone wants the hex values for the Nvidia Inspector profile, I can post them
I assume that's a recent "no trackside bling" mod as the version I tried gave me some weird cockpit glitching at certain race tracks like Spa and Bathurst.
Really, it's pretty bad when a game is only playable after it's been modded. Why they do it I don't know. They should all say "Fuck off EA, we're not fixing your game!"

kamspy

Slackbladder said:
I assume that's a recent "no trackside bling" mod as the version I tried gave me some weird cockpit glitching at certain race tracks like Spa and Bathurst.
Really, it's pretty bad when a game is only playable after it's been modded. Why they do it I don't know. They should all say "Fuck off EA, we're not fixing your game!"

For gamepad racing sim fans (ie: forza, gran t), Shift 2 is a godsend. All the other racing sims I know of on PC are too deep for my tastes. So I use a modded Shift to get my sim fix on PC. It could be better, but hell, they only asked $18 for it. Pretty good value.

I start playing Shift2 some days ago and OMG how fucking awesome is this!? There's some issue here and there but this game is an ace. After PGR4 another racing game capable of make me shit in my pants every turn, every overtake...

... i also noticed the "quokkasokka" sound, I think that want to replicate the sound of tires when go over dirt on the track.

Top Bottom