• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

mrwilt

I have the original Logitech Driving Force force feedback wheel I got with GT3 - just paddle shifter, no gearshift lever. Will that work with Shift 2?

mclaren777

mrwilt said:
I have the original Logitech Driving Force force feedback wheel I got with GT3 - just paddle shifter, no gearshift lever. Will that work with Shift 2?
I don't see why not. Just make sure to install the Logitech drivers for it.

sneaky77

So far my favorite parts of the games are the tracks and the hot lap events, talk about forcing you to push the car to beat that top time, damn

BoobPhysics101 said:
Can you tune the spring rates, alignment settings etc? If so, I can give you real-world S2000 specs that will make it much easier to drive. I track my S2000 in real life so I'm overly familiar with what works with the car.

If it's not as precise as Forza, here's what will work:

Soften the rear sway bar (anti-roll bar), and stiffen up the front sway bar. This will induce understeer and help keep the rear under control.

Stiffen up the front springs, and soften the rear springs. Or set them to equal stiffness if you like a little oversteer.

If you can do alignment, try these specs

Front
Caster: 7-7.5 degrees
Camber: -2.5 to -3.5 camber
Toe in: 0.1 degrees

Rear: Camber -3.5 to -4.0
Toe in: 0.4 to 0.5 degrees

If you can, run a nonstaggered tire setup. Try to run 255 width tires in the front and rear. Forza doesn't really let you run a nonstaggered setup, but maybe Shift 2 does. I'll pick it up today and see what works. The S2000 drives a LOT better with a nonstaggered setup, gives it much better turn-in and front grip, which means better braking and rotation.

Thanks for the advice!!! I think I am going to make the S2000 my main car so I really apreciate your help

FJ0372

My brother is playing Shift 2 on his PC in full spec and I have to say the visuals and car effects seem very good. Too add to this, I'm currently playing through Gran Turismo 5 and whilst I find it highly unlikely I'll prefer Shift 2 when I get around to playing it, the visual damage effects puts Gran Turismo 5 (and Forza 3) to shame.

Bidermaier said:
Thanks for the advice!!! I think I am going to make the S2000 my main car so I really apreciate your help

Do it. The S2000 easily competes with 911's and Corvettes on the track.

If you have any more questions, just hit me up. I got Shift 2 today so I'll try tuning the S2000 in the game and let you know what settings work. Hopefully the physics engine is good enough to actually let me drive it the way I do in real life...

saladine1

I loved SHIFT 1 even with certain issues of handling and such. SHIFT 2 is an absolute gem of a game even with it's issues..
During the course of the PR, people were sceptical about all the hype of "best racing experience ever" and "other certain racing games are boring compared to ours". Fan boys on both camps completely ripped SMS apart as wannabees and whatnot.
Now, i've seen a trend where those same people all over the net have been dumbstruck at the final product. You hear people saying stuff like "I wish GT/FM was more like SHIFT" and "The immersion of SHIFT is the best I've experienced" and "I prefer the handling of SHIFT over GT/FM"..etc
It's a credit to SMS and to an extent..EA for what they accomplished here. They've set the bar for everyone else in terms of delivering an awesome racing experience.
It's too bad that SMS will not be back for a SHIFT 3. I hope whoever takes the reins for SHIFT 2 development, can make an even better game in the future and don't stuff up the formula...

saladine1 said:
It's too bad that SMS will not be back for a SHIFT 3. I hope whoever takes the reins for SHIFT 2 development, can make an even better game in the future and don't stuff up the formula...
Whats this?

saladine1 said:
I loved SHIFT 1 even with certain issues of handling and such. SHIFT 2 is an absolute gem of a game even with it's issues..
During the course of the PR, people were sceptical about all the hype of "best racing experience ever" and "other certain racing games are boring compared to ours". Fan boys on both camps completely ripped SMS apart as wannabees and whatnot.
Now, i've seen a trend where those same people all over the net have been dumbstruck at the final product. You hear people saying stuff like "I wish GT/FM was more like SHIFT" and "The immersion of SHIFT is the best I've experienced" and "I prefer the handling of SHIFT over GT/FM"..etc
It's a credit to SMS and to an extent..EA for what they accomplished here. They've set the bar for everyone else in terms of delivering an awesome racing experience.
Their AI is very good. Apart from that, the game looks and performs worse on my rig than Codemaster's F1 game. I dont consider that a "setting" or raising of the bar. I'm not especially keen on their handling model either, it's fucking wonky, especially on the Nurburgring.

saladine1

theignoramus said:
Their AI is very good. Apart from that, the game looks and performs worse on my rig than Codemaster's F1 game. I dont consider that a "setting" or raising of the bar. I'm not especially keen on their handling model either, it's fucking wonky, especially on the Nurburgring.
Sure, everyone has their opinion, but the overwhelming amount of reviews, people i've talked to,friends,forum goers have said that what SHIFT offers in terms of the racing experience,the immersion,the atmosphere of motorsport is the elemt that sets it apart from the other games. Obviously, that doesn't mean it's a fact, it's opinion, and I share those sentiments..

@nullpointer- Their future isn't cemented according to this:

stiq of joy

sneaky77

saladine1 said:

I def enjoy the cockpit view on shift more than Forza.. I felt that Forza didn't give me a big enough windshield and I couldn't see jack. The sense of speed and the car being at the limit pushing to get that extra second in the hot lap events is great.
I love the tracks so far, they all are solid, and you can really feel the elevation changes.

There are a lot of things I love about Forza though, specially the 60fps smoothness, I like the Forza handling is different from shift but it works well.

markao

Just revisited Enna for the first time since GTR, those chicanes, even though they are not made out of solid concrete anymore :p , still making your palms sweat every time you have to go through them at high speed.

Video of the "Old school masters" at Enna, me in a BMW M3 E30 (upgraded to B 1114) vs Darren "chicken" McNamara in a Team Need for Speed Toyota AE86.

sneaky77

markao said:
Just revisited Enna for the first time since GTR, those chicanes, even though they are not made out of solid concrete anymore :p , still making your palms sweat every time you have to go through them at high speed.

Video of the "Old school masters" at Enna, me in a BMW M3 E30 (upgraded to B 1114) vs Darren "chicken" McNamara in a Team Need for Speed Toyota AE86.

Awesome driving job.

Omiee

what could be the problem when i get something like this, because it worked fine before i had my second card and my new motherboard.
i tried disabling crossfire but i still get the same thing.

35ddmpj.jpg

markao

NullPointer said:
Especially when you consider that his hands don't even move. Now THATS driving.
Did not notice it before, wheel is moving hands not, cool........just another bug that needs fixing ;)

This happened the next and last race of the championship to me, last corner last lap, second place would have been enough :p

test2j79t.gif

@Omiee, no idea, I have not seen something like that mentioned on any forum, yet.

Omiee

yeah i dont get what went wrong, it was fine before i installed new ssd motherboard and gpu.
Can it be some program im missing or something?

edit: btw i had the game installed on my hdd but did a clean install again on my ssd and i still get the same problem

markao

Omiee said:
yeah i dont get what went wrong, it was fine before i installed new ssd motherboard and gpu.
Can it be some program im missing or something?

edit: btw i had the game installed on my hdd but did a clean install again on my ssd and i still get the same problem
Weird things happening are often driver related, so you could try a uninstall --> clean sweep and reinstall newer/older ones.

That's how far my problem solving goes, after that I'm relying on others, so I hope someone else can help you outwith it.

Omiee

markao said:
Weird things happening are often driver related, so you could try a uninstall --> clean sweep and reinstall newer/older ones.

That's how far my problem solving goes, after that I'm relying on others, so I hope someone else can help you outwith it.

im using CCC 11.3 it is the new one, i was using 11.4 preview and 11.2 before this.
which one should i go back to?

markao

mclaren777 said:
Which car is yours?
BMW, cockpit view, racing vs the NFS car.

I was already switched of, S&F line is few seconds away, win not possible/second good enough. Then I see a car swaying in front of me, change my mind 3 times what direction to choose (though AI had car under control again) and in the end I would just miss him on the left....not ;)

@ Ominee; I use CCC 11.3/5850 & do not have that issue and send you a link for the driver cleaner tool. And one setting in my CC, "enable surface format optimization", I do not use, could that be the culprit?

markao

Most of the time so far, game is a little to easy, as at most starts/1st corners you are already ahead, but sometimes the game really delivers.

Night race in a Ford GT 40 at Nürburgring Short , Modern B speed tour: Freude am Fahren

Thought I had him ;)

sneaky77

the thing i don't get is most events force you to compete with a particular car so far... I am about 20% in... so whats the point of buying other cars?

RobertM

sneaky77 said:
the thing i don't get is most events force you to compete with a particular car so far... I am about 20% in... so whats the point of buying other cars?
There will certain restrictions for some races and some of the cars you'll earn you won't be able to upgrade. There are plenty of races in Modern C and Retro C where you will have to buy a European car or a japanese car or just a C class car. But yeah, it's really about driving your favorite car. I love you Supra!

Question, do you earn more xp without using assists ala Forza?

T Ghost

saladine1 said:
There's certainly a few things that need attention.

While I would love to have SHIFT every year,I believe that EA should not make the game a yearly affair. It's got an awesome foundation to build upon. It would be greatly benefitted if the game came out every two years so the devs can concentrate on making an even better game. Don't make this just another cash cow like everything else. There is an absolute gem in the making here and if they want to compete with GT and FM, as they have said, they need to treat this series completely different to every other game of theirs.
But it's EA so that's not going to happen...

I completely agree with you here. Give devs at least 2 years between iterations and don't force it too much to be to accessible to every type of gamer. EA should niche this title to fans of semi-simulation and simulation. Leave NFS/Burnout for the arcade racer niche and for casual gamers. NFS/Burnout should be the racing games that EA should to go crazy in regards of making it accessible to the whole market, cash cows. If this were ever done, in 2 more iterations Shift could be getting really close to GT and Forza or even surpass them. But... It's EA... So no hopes of getting the right thing done. It's all about the stock market nowadays. F... the consumer, that little pesky thing that keep whining and reluctant to give corps. their little money. Always. No exception. We gotta love and enjoy the extreme hardcore capitalism that we created for ourselves. Enslaved by stock market values. Awesome!

T Ghost said:
I completely agree with you here. Give devs at least 2 years between iterations and don't force it too much to be to accessible to every type of gamer. EA should niche this title to fans of semi-simulation and simulation. Leave NFS/Burnout for the arcade racer niche and for casual gamers. NFS/Burnout should be the racing games that EA should to go crazy in regards of making it accessible to the whole market, cash cows. If this were ever done, in 2 more iterations Shift could be getting really close to GT and Forza or even surpass them. But... It's EA... So no hopes of getting the right thing done. It's all about the stock market nowadays. F... the consumer, that little pesky thing that keep whining and reluctant to give corps. their little money. Always. No exception. We gotta love and enjoy the extreme hardcore capitalism that we created for ourselves. Enslaved by stock market values. Awesome!

That really is the problem, EA is just too big and has too many obligations to stockholders. The thing is, the annual churn works because people keep buying that crap. It just makes more money. To play labors of love we're going to have to settle for lower production values from smaller devs/pubs.

You know, at least EA is still going out and taking risks here and there. Honestly, they aren't in the best financial position these past couple years so there has to be a balance between taking risks to create new properties and making enough money annually to support the size of the company.

On to the game, I need tips. I'm having a lot of trouble (really early in...Tier 1 C class) adjusting to learning the tracks while they keep changing up cars on me for those showcase races. Brakepoints and speeds keep changing on me. Do I just need to take a couple extra laps to get used to it, or are there guidlines to getting a feel for these things?

I'm not a big sim racer usually, burnout and NFS most wanted etc. No raceline, trying to wean myself off the track map so I can go no HUD.

markao

itsnervedamage said:
On to the game, I need tips. I'm having a lot of trouble (really early in...Tier 1 C class) adjusting to learning the tracks while they keep changing up cars on me for those showcase races. Brakepoints and speeds keep changing on me. Do I just need to take a couple extra laps to get used to it, or are there guidlines to getting a feel for these things?

I'm not a big sim racer usually, burnout and NFS most wanted etc. No race-line, trying to wean myself off the track map so I can go no HUD.
Just a few laps, or when you get more used to the tracks/game, few corners. You will be getting a better idea how a corner flows and how much you will need to slow down, relative to the car you are driving.

tip: Not using the "ideal line" will make it, maybe harder earlier on, but easier the longer you play the game or any other game with the same tracks in the future.

markao said:
Just a few laps, or when you get more used to the tracks/game, few corners. You will be getting a better idea how a corner flows and how much you will need to slow down, relative to the car you are driving.

tip: Not using the "ideal line" will make it, maybe harder earlier on, but easier the longer you play the game or any other game with the same tracks in the future.

Got it, just keep driving. Thanks for the reply!

sneaky77

I enjoy the 100% race line completion and corner mastering stuff, is always nice when you get 100%. (I don't use race line) I think I only master 2 tracks so far, but I have a few more with 100% line and almost all the corners.

It looks like Shift this is turning into a love and hate experience for me.

I love the xp system, money rewards, track selection, mastering corners and tracks, quick races, real time tuning, autolog, visual customizations, audio and the cockpit views=, along with some aspects of the competitor driver AI.

I hate the jaggies (this may be the worst I've ever seen on the 360), the overemphasis on sliding even when tuning the hell out of your ride for stability, jaggies, shortened draw distances and fog, small courses like Miami where it becomes a smash derby fest, jaggies, and holy hell, fuck the Miami courses.

Its really come down to the choice between other sims that offer far better car stability and clear graphics, and something like Shift where the game elements themselves are just more exciting. Its one hell of a trade-off though, to the point where no sim or simmish racing game I've played truly satisfies.

And jaggies. They break my fucking heart in this game.

NullPointer said:
holy hell, fuck the Miami courses.

Seconded.

I'm going out of my way to avoid the Miami tracks; they don't flow particularly nicely and are not enjoyable at all. Tracks in general though are the least of this game's problems. I greatly prefer real-world tracks to fictional ones, so props to SMS for getting so many licensed circuits in the game. It's an embarrassment of riches.

I've completed only 20% of the career, but there's no way I'll ever finish the whole thing. The M1 Procar has been my machine of choice for the Works races. It's pricey at $500k, and only rated a B-1370, but it's worth it considering it's one of the most neutral and balanced cars I've come across thus far. Those can seem like a rarity at times in Shift...

I need to pick up the pace and get into the GT3/GT1 races as those are by far the nicest cars to drive, thanks no doubt to the heaps of downforce.

Varvor

As far as PC port goes it good. Fun factor is on par if not grater to GRID, especially once I play it with my MOMO FF Wheel. My only beef with this game is menu/ general UI and drifting portion of the game. Wheel + almost all assists off = no drift :(

Other them that this a great game to have if you wish to have Forza or GT equivalent on your PC. I am not sure how I feel if i had a choice between this game and others on xbox.

Corky said:
How's the game on PC? Good port? good amount of customization?

Pretty standard for graphics options, although the AA is crazy DX9 deferred rendering AA, like Crysis 2...meh. Off the top of my head, there is resolution, AA, reflection detail, shadow detail, car detail, track detail, textures...a couple others. A good page worth anyway.

It runs ok, the highest AA setting is maybe 4x MSAA equivalent. Not perfect, but when you play with it off you'll see it actually helps a lot. Decent trade for the lighting update. I think they added in color grading it looks more cohesive and less clinical than the first. Haven't gotten to a night race yet, but vids look pretty nice.

Also, I play with a pad and they adjusted the steering twitchiness a bit by adding in either some sort of delay but more like...turn dampening? The best I can explain it, is that it's like in FPS stick acceleration, but for the steering response. I think it helps, it's less twitchy and me jamming the stick back and forth for small adjustments works much better. I would say it's a good compramise for a sim-ish racer on pad, vs. something more arcadey.

I'm pretty happy with it at a technical level, and the game is a fun intro to sim racing...sim lite or something. The NFS franchise is moving in weird directions...I only started playing these with NFS Underground. I remember back then, you had to brake for corners, though you sort of powerslide through them and manual shifting was still better than auto. Braking has gotten less and less useful in the arcade iterations, and in Hot Pursuit it's almost all just racing the right line, holding accelerate, and there is no option for manual shift. Shift 2 is really less sim, and more a return to how NFS played a couple years ago. I like both styles though, all mood Dependant. I sort of like how the sub-brands are diverging. Maybe a little too much though, with like 1 need for speed every 8 months or something.

Top Bottom