• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shifting World for 3DS [Aksys/Armor Games]

Sqorgar

Banned
EDIT: I don't know how much of a computer-science/programmer person you are, but I can already see the mechanical structures I would need to implement to make something based on one of your "card" designs, and now I really want to try it.
I've been a programmer at one point or another, and many of the ideas on that site start with the data structures. For instance, I might decide to make a game based on a stack or a linked list. I love node-based graphs something fierce.

Didn't you take your site down at one point for some reason? I remember not being able to find it and being kind of sad. Maybe I'm thinking of another game idea site.
I don't think I've ever taken the Three Hundred down. There was some bruhaha about attribution (the site originally made the ideas free, as long as credit was given), and that turned a little nasty, but I don't think I took the site down. I just decided to make the ideas public domain and make no claims of ownership whatsoever, and I've been happier for it.

Armor Games is responsible for the game that Angry Birds was inspired by and is the only Flash game that I ever played all the way to the end, so this will be interesting.

Sqorgar

Banned
Those are some pretty awesome ideas. Hopefully some credit is given.
I don't really expect any credit to be given. Before Shift was released, I was actually approached by Armor Games to sell some of my work to them. I wasn't interested, but that didn't stop them from, a couple months later, releasing Shift as a Flash game... and an iOS game... and an Android game... and a PSN mini... and now a 3DS game.

I can't let myself care about any of that. I just want people to see the game ideas I come up with. I like to think that I'm making a positive difference in the game industry by influencing those within it to make more creative games. If Armor Games wasn't milking Shift, they'd be milking something far less interesting instead.

Eh, so the presentation got a nice facelift and it features a level editor... still not convinced that this is worth buying at retail unless it's in the bargain bin. It would definitely fare much better as a 3DSWare title.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I would love to know whether we have Nintendo or Aksys to blame more for this being released at retail when it would so obviously be better suited to the eShop, but either way, it's a guaranteed bomb. Sad.

Why would we blame Nintendo? They have some crazy restrictions for downloadable stuff, but have they ever told a 3rd party developers that their game has to go to retail?

Why would we blame Nintendo? They have some crazy restrictions for downloadable stuff, but have they ever told a 3rd party developers that their game has to go to retail?

Nintendo wouldn't have blocked it (unless it exceeds eShop size limits - unlikely), but it's possible that third parties don't see the eShop as a viable platform due to Nintendo's historic DD ass-backwardness and the consequent low sales for some titles.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Nintendo wouldn't have blocked it (unless it exceeds eShop size limits - unlikely), but it's possible that third parties don't see the eShop as a viable platform due to Nintendo's historic DD ass-backwardness and the consequent low sales for some titles.

Ah, yeah. Well in that case I would have to ask Aksys: Why release this at all?

sfried

I thought that had more to do with advertising? That said, retail space does not guarantee sales.

Aim to buy this around June-July for $8-10.

Yeah, in the same position with Crush 3D. I want to buy it considering all the acclaim for the PSP version, but I don't see any point in shelling out $35 for it when I'll almost certainly be able to get it for $20 or less within a couple months later. (It'll bomb whether I buy it or not, so I'm not paying full price for it as a gesture of support or whatnot.)

watershed

Banned
The flash game is fun and I like the shifting mechanic. The few available screenshots of the 3ds version look good but I don't understand why this is a retail game. It should be an eshop game for $8 or so. Do the developers/publishers think this game has a better chance at retail? I can't imagine its gonna get much/any marketing at all and at $30 sharing retail space with bigger titles, the cost of carts, etc it seems like a failing proposition.

M3d10n

You guys just don't understand. Wiiware and DSiWare both generate very low sales volumes. Many of the games there would have generated more revenue as low budget retail games, but doing so requires securing a deal with a publisher and that's out of reach for many devs.

Retail games make money upfront when are sold to stores while digital does it over time as it's sold to customers. Publishers also often pay advance on small retail projects, while DD developers need to fund themselves. If you're really small, the advance can be a lifesaver.

Also, a retail release doesn't prevent a digital release later, on the eShop or on another platform. Again, if the studio is small the publisher's advance can keep the company going for long enough so they can work on ports.

You bet many XBLA/PSN devs would have loved to get a retail publishing deal, even with all the drawbacks involved.

zroid

Banned
Makes me think of a weird amalgam of Mighty Flip Champs and VVVVVV

Pretty neat stuff

Tell that to Valve. Free stuff is a great enticement to get people to bring their 3DS online.

I guess Excitebike, Pokedex 3D, and Four Swords weren't enough for you, huh? It does seem like this would have been ideal for an eShop game, perhaps broken up with DLC.

nickcv

first time i see this game and i gotta say it's a great platformer/puzzle game...

i could consider it as an eShop title

thomaser

I don't want to be an "*ssh*le" but... I think it's priced too high. I think this game would be better on eShop, because of the gametype.

I disagree - this looks like it has more gameplay and entertainment value than most retail games out there.

Still, it might be difficult to sell to people in a store when every other game around it has a known name and mascot on the cover.

I disagree - this looks like it has more gameplay and entertainment value than most retail games out there.

Still, it might be difficult to sell to people in a store when every other game around it has a known name and mascot on the cover.

I agree it still looks nice.

If a game like this came out for the GBA in its heyday then I wouldn't have thought twice about picking it up for $30, but nowadays there's no way in hell I could justify paying that for something that should have been a digital download game.

You guys just don't understand. Wiiware and DSiWare both generate very low sales volumes. Many of the games there would have generated more revenue as low budget retail games, but doing so requires securing a deal with a publisher and that's out of reach for many devs.

Retail games make money upfront when are sold to stores while digital does it over time as it's sold to customers. Publishers also often pay advance on small retail projects, while DD developers need to fund themselves. If you're really small, the advance can be a lifesaver.

Also, a retail release doesn't prevent a digital release later, on the eShop or on another platform. Again, if the studio is small the publisher's advance can keep the company going for long enough so they can work on ports.

You bet many XBLA/PSN devs would have loved to get a retail publishing deal, even with all the drawbacks involved.

Very belated response to this, but:

Assuming that it's true that the eShop can't currently generate the needed sales volume, then Aksys should just wait until the userbase has grown further. Or just put it on other DD platforms as well.

What I don't buy is that, in 2012, a stylized 2.5D puzzle-platformer can possibly move enough units at $30 to turn a profit on any combination of platforms.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Shifting World is now out in stores and people are already conquering its many puzzles ;D

Has anyone been able to beat the entire game yet? :3

zigg

Assuming that it's true that the eShop can't currently generate the needed sales volume, then Aksys should just wait until the userbase has grown further. Or just put it on other DD platforms as well.
I think the danger here is that the further you go into a platform's lifespan, the more the userbase expects big-budget and less they gravitate toward ideas.

When I finish Crush 3D, i'll probably get this. I already liked the Shift games on iOS, and what I saw in the trailer was pretty cool.

Shifting World is now out in stores and people are already conquering its many puzzles ;D

Has anyone been able to beat the entire game yet? :3

Little late to this, but what stores are carrying this game? GameStop and Best Buy don't have it in their database.

zigg

Little late to this, but what stores are carrying this game? GameStop and Best Buy don't have it in their database.
Take it from someone who is attracted to the nichiest of the niche games—if GameStop doesn't list it, you'd best go Amazon.

Or, in this case, maybe wait to see if it shows up on the eShop.

Top Bottom