• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shiina Pikarin, a 20,000 year old demon pop idol, releases her first single

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

This is hideous, just awful awful music.

(Why do so many Japanese women sing/talk/act like they're a six year old girl? It's really weird and creepy.)

I wonder how lately so many idols try out this route?
If people care about such music (japanese underground, metal, punk), they already listen to Maximum the Hormone, The Hiatus, Nothings Carved in Stone etc.

It just feels like a gimmick, like some other poster said. Trying to get "Otaku" to listen to other genres besides JPop.

Why mix sth. people dont like (otherwise they would already listen to such music) with JPop?

ROFL XD hearing metal vocals randomly in what sounds like yet another generic Jpop song is so hilarious.

It's like watching some bubbly moe anime opening and all of a sudden. It switches to a Death Note op for 10 seconds, it just doesn't fit, and it's soooo funny XD

Nor501

The first thing I thought of when I read the title was Seikima II, who I just discovered and am loving.

Why is a 20,000 year old demon running away from a spooky ghost? You'd think a 20,000 year old would be a little more hardened than that. She should kick that ghost in its bitch face.

But yeah music is pretty hard on the ears. I'll stick to Yousei Teikoku when I need a fix of cheesy Japanese electronic-fused metal.

Hexa

Pretty good. Definitely someone I'm going to keep up with. Babymetal is still better though.

kswiston

Will this 20 000 year old demon get booted from her label and forced to publicly apologize if she has a boyfriend?

daveo42

Banned
She definitely does look like a 20k year-old demon, at least based on my vast video game and anime research.

akira28

Why is a 20,000 year old demon running away from a spooky ghost? You'd think a 20,000 year old would be a little more hardened than that. She should kick that ghost in its bitch face.

But yeah music is pretty hard on the ears. I'll stick to Yousei Teikoku when I need a fix of cheesy Japanese electronic-fused metal.

oh they didn't mention anything about spooky ghosts. now I have to watch.

edit: this video explains why, she has no control over her demon side, which works to ruin and control her human life.
https://youtu.be/BrfOfHrOl7c?list=RDTmM3PWH8IB0

Slowdive

Banned
Having amassed a huge following, particularly among teenage girls in Shibuya, Shina Pikarin (or Pikarin for short) released her first official single, titled “Makai Shinju” (“Makai Double-Suicide”), on 3 May.

Her first single came out in 2012.

what happened to them?

Disbanded in 2010, Mariko Goto did some solo albums but writes mainly for idol groups now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
zXZYvSh.png

Her death metal vocals are laughably bad, even in the realm of inherently laughably-bad death metal vocals.

Kurita

If people care about such music (japanese underground, metal, punk), they already listen to Maximum the Hormone, The Hiatus, Nothings Carved in Stone etc.

Not necessarily, especially when these three bands have like nothing in common with the actual "underground" idols. I'm a huge, and I mean huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of the HIATUS and Nothing's Carved In Stone, and it's completely different.

I don't particularly care for this relatively new breed of idols but saying they're just gimmicky is missing the point of those less mainstream idols. Why can't idols be underground, too? Why should it be limited to more "traditional" bands? Some people want idols that aren't AKB and Hello Project and have a more original identity.
Really, I don't like these underground idols (cause I'm not into either cultures) but I'm glad they exist cause diversity is a good thing.

Peru

It just feels like a gimmick, like some other poster said. Trying to get "Otaku" to listen to other genres besides JPop.

Why mix sth. people dont like (otherwise they would already listen to such music) with JPop?

Lots of people do like both of those. And some people like certain genres but would be interested in seeing it in a new context.

You're questioning something that is popular. It's popular, that's why it happens. There are scenes for this. They sell well. This is a girl group single currently in the Japanese top 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-hs9iqBDHM

That's refreshing to me. Genre limits break down and everything is allowed. All sorts of different music done by all sorts of people. It's fun

She looks 19,000 at most. Whatever cream she uses I'm buying.

Asians and their skin lighteners, right?

Edit - Just went back and actually watched the video. I would have thought it was a joke if there wasn't also the live performance. That is like some Rebecca Black meets death metal sort of shit. The cringe is real. At least Babymetal can sing and look like they're serious about their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom