• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Strange Journey's are like that, too.

Though to be fair, some P4 dungeons mix it up, namely Game.

And how!

shin_megami_tensei_sj_sector_eridanus_1f.png

randomkid

yup, and I'm sure SMT and SMT2 (coming up very soon in my queue dammit) are too. Sentiment in the pic is kinda funny all the same.

Aeana

Persona 3/4's randomized dungeons are so crappy. That Eridanus map gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. It's so beautiful.

randomkid

devil survivor 2 come out already goddamn

more like, p2:ep exist already goddamn

I just realized Devil Survivor 2 will be the first new Megaten since Nocturne I haven't bought Day 1. I wish I'd enjoyed the original more. Kinda sucks for me I guess.

cj_iwakura

more like, p2:ep exist already goddamn

I just realized Devil Survivor 2 will be the first new Megaten since Nocturne I haven't bought Day 1. I wish I'd enjoyed the original more. Kinda sucks for me I guess.

Eternal Punishment PSP announced by the end of February, calling it now.

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, for some reason in all of my Community lurking, I've never noticed this thread. Great idea for one.

Nocturne - Beaten
DDS - Beaten
DDS2 - I've been burnt out for so long. Have a Hard Mode save right before Meganada, but after the long-ass dungeon that is the sun, I've never pumped it out. I really need to finish this.
Devil Summoner: RKvSA - I have this, but it sorta turned me off. Never got very far. Is it worth it to finish?
Devil Summoner: RKvKA - Haven't tried.
P3/P3FES/P3P: Finished each once.
P4: Beaten
P1P: Eh...I keep trying to get into it but I just haven't really enjoyed it yet.
P2PIS: My PSP broke, so once I get my new one I'm going to start this up again and finish it.
P2ES: I have this for PSX, but never finished it. Will wait until after IS.
Devil Summoner: Great game, can't wait for 2.
Strange Journey: Beaten, got all endings.

Now, the only ones I have not really tried but I want to are SMT and SMT2. What versions are the best to try out, and how accessible are they, given that I've played SMT3 and SMT4? I imagine I'd need some sort of guide for the basic concepts of the game (how demons work, etc.).

Jenga

Banned
playing through P2: IS

had a question about the persona system, will the persona's level up as long as I have them equipped or do I actually have to use the persona magic skills for them to level up?

Jenga

Banned
Now, the only ones I have not really tried but I want to are SMT and SMT2. What versions are the best to try out, and how accessible are they, given that I've played SMT3 and SMT4? I imagine I'd need some sort of guide for the basic concepts of the game (how demons work, etc.).
SMT 1 + 2 SNES. Make sure it's using the Aeon Genesis translation. The basic concepts of the game are basically the basic concepts of the entire series. You don't need a guide, trust me. It's all very basic demon summoning/leveling. The only thing you might need to be aware of is that the demons consume a particular amount of...some random item name I forgot. Basically it drops like money and the demons consume it to be around. Encourages you to constantly battle to keep it up more or less.

Don't be afraid to use a FAQ/guide if you get lost in the dungeons or if you don't know what to do next.

Aeana

Someone pointed out that this year is the 25th anniversary of the original Megami Tensei, and thought we should have a thread for franchise playthrough stuff later in the year. I'd be all for that, but it'd have to be later in the year since the Final Fantasy one is going right now.

Someone pointed out that this year is the 25th anniversary of the original Megami Tensei, and thought we should have a thread for franchise playthrough stuff later in the year. I'd be all for that, but it'd have to be later in the year since the Final Fantasy one is going right now.

Now this I would support!! Whoo boy.

randomkid

Same. In fact, I think I'm still there and it's been a couple months since I last played. I cringe at the thought of going back to it, but like always will get sucked back in.

Eridanus was my favorite map actually. There's a later dungeon that's way more annoying and has the temerity to reuse backgrounds and music, that's the real worst one. Thankfully the final dungeon picks up again.

Also Aeana, definitely post the thread later in the year, by then I might have SMT1&2 beaten. Usually don't like to participate in those kinda threads cuz I wanna stay as fresh as possible, but it'd be nice for the six of us to chat on the main page instead of the community ghetto heh.

Same. In fact, I think I'm still there and it's been a couple months since I last played. I cringe at the thought of going back to it, but like always will get sucked back in.

I did get past it eventually then got hung up at the end of that sector also...
Leveling up demons with fire for the boss
but now that I am past it I am sucked in again and only taking the briefest of breaks to play P3P.

vall03

are the PS1 versions of SMT I, II and if worth getting? just saw them on the JP PSN for ¥1000 each and Im kinda interested...

JEKKI

oh whaaaaaaaaat?!?! does any1 here like KPOP?!?!

I was listening to some Brown Eyed Girls and they totally sang a song about Shin Megami!!

they're all like "Megaten Megaten OG mama kakulen nemu so-geh neeka kacho mochi neeka" or something like that.

and then the part in the background is all like "dut dut dut duh dut dut duh dut duh" and it sounds real cool!!!

I guess in Korea they really like the series?? I heard they made a Shin Megami MMO over there or something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTvr1qxY3ko

the song is real happy and jumpy tho, not like all somber and dark like other Shin Megami stuff

so I think it's the music they play in the Item Shop.

Aeana

I assume you're just being silly, since the part you're hearing as "megaten, megaten" is "내 곁엔 내 곁에 / nae gyeoten, nae gyeote"

MechaX

To this day I still wonder what was worse; Sector E in Strange Journey, or Neutral Route Cathedral from SMT I.

cj_iwakura

To this day I still wonder what was worse; Sector E in Strange Journey, or Neutral Route Cathedral from SMT I.

Here's a hint: only one of them has random battles every step.

are the PS1 versions of SMT I, II and if worth getting? just saw them on the JP PSN for ¥1000 each and Im kinda interested...

SNES ones are better.

And translated.

Well, not If. But I know a place that lays it all out very nicely.
lparchive.org/LetsPlay/SMTIf/

This fucking dungeon ensured that I would never replay Strange Journey again, despite the game being great. Cannot stand Eridanus.

i think the dungeon before with the annoying conveyor belts ensured this was a one time deal for me as well. barely managed to beat the game, almost stopped at the end out of boredom. at least the art was good.

cj_iwakura

i think the dungeon before with the annoying conveyor belts ensured this was a one time deal for me as well. barely managed to beat the game, almost stopped at the end out of boredom. at least the art was good.

It is, but there's so little of it. As mediocre as Devil Survivor's art is, it's prolific.

I think the design for (Strange Journey)
Demi-nez
trumps anything from Devil Survivor, but still, I wish Kaneko did more of it.

Strange Journey has, what, eight unique character portraits? Kaneko's more talented than that.

I wonder if he did any concept art, like the god-tier stuff he did for SMT III.

It is, but there's so little of it. As mediocre as Devil Survivor's art is, it's prolific.

I think the design for (Strange Journey)
Demi-nez
trumps anything from Devil Survivor, but still, I wish Kaneko did more of it.

Strange Journey has, what, eight unique character portraits? Kaneko's more talented than that.

I wonder if he did any concept art, like the god-tier stuff he did for SMT III.

Im just biased against the art direction from Survivor period. There has to be a reason they went with that guy when they have two of the best in the business in-house (Kaneko and Soejima).

Im just biased against the art direction from Survivor period. There has to be a reason they went with that guy when they have two of the best in the business in-house (Kaneko and Soejima).
I think it was for a wider audience kick. I really like to think kaneko is working on p2 ep vita and whatever

randomkid

Heh, Parish twittered a link to this the other day.

I don't recall trying for something as crazy as that, but I do remember spending hours and hours hemming and hawing in the cathedral over various combinations, and going to weird downfusion lengths to preserve certain precious abilities. I think I even ended up passing on the upgraded Pixie at the end because I'd end up losing some awesome ability combo I'd carefully nurtured.

I don't recall trying for something as crazy as that, but I do remember spending hours and hours hemming and hawing in the cathedral over various combinations, and going to weird downfusion lengths to preserve certain precious abilities.

I never got quite that bad, but I did make several four-element (defense/offense) demons and collected 100% of the Compendium... then Aeana made fun of me. :(

randomkid

Oh I'm a 100 percenter too. Nocturne is the last RPG I can remember grinding in, it's something I never do but I loved the game so much I felt compelled to finish off the compendium, which meant a lot of mutating and leveling up was needed. I think the Kaneko models and mythology trivia kept me happy.

Saw the pic of the dungeon at the top of this page and knew I had to pick up Strange Journey. Only an hour into it, but I like it so far. I've played alot of SMT games, so i know what to expect. Really looking forward to digging my teeth into this tomorrow

Heh, Parish twittered a link to this the other day.

I don't recall trying for something as crazy as that, but I do remember spending hours and hours hemming and hawing in the cathedral over various combinations, and going to weird downfusion lengths to preserve certain precious abilities. I think I even ended up passing on the upgraded Pixie at the end because I'd end up losing some awesome ability combo I'd carefully nurtured.

Dat Arahabaki! Stumbled on that guy in my first playthru but had no resists inherited from his pre-mutation like those (how many Elementals did he buy to get that? haha). Fun, quirky turn-burner with great animation.

Labadal

I've never played any of these games, but I'm currently one click away from buying Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2. The price for both is $30 including shipping.

What I want to know is if there is much story and if its any good.

The story in DDS is much more demonstratively "there" compared with SMT:N. The stated goal of R&D1 was to do just this, a more traditionally structured JRPG form of town-dungeon-town-dungeon, (granted, this is Megaten, so its themes are postapocolyptic Mad Max wastelands, cannabalism, hermaphrodites, Vedic mysticism, and playing God). It's great!

Top Bottom