• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Sallokin

I got my copy of the Kaneko Collection IV yesterday. As expected it's 200 pages of awesome. There are roughly 150 demon designs from SMT Devil Summoner. This one focuses on Light and Neutral affiliated ones and there's a section in the back that has commentary on each design (in JP). If you have any of the previous books in the series you know what to expect.

Check the preview pages available on the amazon.co.jp listing for examples if you're on the fence. Overall it's a nice collection and I hope they don't wait another 9 years to release the next volume.

SGAi6wV.jpg

Hylian7

I got my copy of the Kaneko Collection IV yesterday. As expected it's 200 pages of awesome. There are roughly 150 demon designs from SMT Devil Summoner. This one focuses on Light and Neutral affiliated ones and there's a section in the back that has commentary on each design (in JP). If you have any of the previous books in the series you know what to expect.

Check the preview pages available on the amazon.co.jp listing for examples if you're on the fence. Overall it's a nice collection and I hope they don't wait another 9 years to release the next volume.

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow
by DHL
sick.gif

I'm excited to see it.

Supposedly getting my copy tomorrow. First time I've bought anything from amazon jp, fingers crossed that nothing gets damaged. Really want to get the 3rd one, but it looks like all copies are used.

Edit: Looks like it will be longer. It's being held in customs.

Sallokin

Supposedly getting my copy tomorrow. First time I've bought anything from amazon jp, fingers crossed that nothing gets damaged. Really want to get the 3rd one, but it looks like all copies are used.

Edit: Looks like it will be longer. It's being held in customs.

Yeah the first three are all really hard to find over here at this point for reasonable prices. Part 1 isn't super rare and can be found used for ~50 dollars in average condition. 2 and 3 though are easily 90 - 140 dollars or more. I've seen a few in book stores, but they've gotten wise to the online prices and they price accordingly for sealed new copies.

Bladenic

Mine is coming but ugh wish I knew JP.

Isn't the second part coming out very soon too?

Hylian7

So Kaz V will be Strange Journey?

I would think, but it's weird that they didn't cover Devil Summoner until Volume IV.

DHL claims mine will be here today, even though it originally said it would be here tomorrow. Whatever, bring it on DHL.

Also welcome back!
smile.gif

cj_iwakura

I would think, but it's weird that they didn't cover Devil Summoner until Volume IV.

DHL claims mine will be here today, even though it originally said it would be here tomorrow. Whatever, bring it on DHL.
Well, there was a Devil Summoner World Guidance... This feels a little unnecessary.
I own it, too.

Euphony

Banned
And that's a wrap on Nocturne. True demon ending.
Holy shit Lucifer was hard as fuck.
Now to decide what to play next.

Yet another vote for Digital Devil Saga from me too as I played it right after finishing Nocturne as well. If you enjoyed Nocturne, there's no doubt you'll like DDS.

Well, there was a Devil Summoner World Guidance... This feels a little unnecessary.
I own it, too.

How is Devil Summoner's World Guidance book? Been tempted by it ever since being really impressed by the Baroque one, but wasn't sure how much unique art/information would be in it.

randomkid

How is Devil Summoner's World Guidance book? Been tempted by it ever since being really impressed by the Baroque one, but wasn't sure how much unique art/information would be in it.

I love it! The demons are all loosely organized by geographic regions and Google Translate's app does a better job than you'd think of capturing the gist of the blurbs. You can find a bunch of preview inside pics on most of the ebay listings.

Hylian7

Mine came in today. I don't know Devil Summoner particularly well (waiting for that translation patch), but most of the demons in here were ones I have seen throughout the series, but all very high quality illustrations. Some of the demons in it I don't remember seeing before. Some of the demons were different designs on commonly known demons. Cherub had a weird design in this one, Knocker's design was one I had seen in the Nemechi demons in Soul Hackers, and Pixie was one I hadn't seen before with this design. Overall I'm quite happy with the purchase, I love Kaneko art.

Also, why are Angel and Archangel listed under "Neutral"?

randomkid

my Kaneko 4 came in too~~~

no spritesheet like Kaneko 1 had, but still altogether lovely. completely identical formatting 13 years later!

this crappy shot doesn't really show the color tone differences, but you can at least get a handle on the size difference compared to Devil Summoner

Persona 5 with half the dialog would be the GOAT MegaTen (even if technically not MegaTen)

Magic is a good focus for the MC in DDS yeah?

I finished DDS1 and 2 with a physical character but both should be fine. MC charges, second character tarukajas him, third character skips, first character does a physical attack on all enemies. That's how I got through DDS2 on hard.

Hylian7

Maybe if it took out the beach scene and really tightened up the focus. The forced year really hurts P5's flow.

Also make it where when you're put in your bedroom at the end of the day, but Morgana won't let you do anything else, change that to just be a "Do you want to save?" dialog and that's it.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
That's something I have always wondered why...
Probably because Atlus wanted them to appear in random encounters. Usually, you can only encounter neutral and dark demons in combat, excluding boss fights and a handful of special dungeons (like the Labyrinth of Amala and Masakado's shrine in Nocturne).

In the early games the player was meant to kill dark-aligned demons (they dropped extra magnetite on death, took more magnetite to summon and normally couldn't be recruited by negotiation), recruit neutral-aligned demons and fuse them into light-aligned demons, which had a higher stat total and consumed less magnetite than neutral and dark demons of the same level.

Taruranto

I was really getting into SMTII, but then the game sent me on this stupid chase for
the Masakado's pieces.
There is a lot backtracking and some really bad dungeons in this part. (The right leg dungeon has teleports that warp you at entrace and taking the bottom road at the end of the dungeon means redoing the whole dungeon)

At least random encounters are getting pretty fast now that I can use Neutral weapons.

That thing was the spider monster from Kamen Rider ZO.

CtFSoYi.png

SMT4's designs are gone for good anyway. Most were excluded from 4A in response to poor reception, including the ones people actually liked. The story-relevant remnants had their last shot in 4A as well. Kaneko's Archangels are fine and dandy in SMTHD.

Chemtrail deserves another go with a redesign to spice up the Foul race. Or a Rumor race. That'd be good. Just another entry to the scroll of my wanted returns/newcomers that's beginning to coil around the earth.

Euphony

Banned
The Solid's base is kind of kicking my ass in DDS.

That's right after you
team up with Jinana's tribe
right? I remember the start of that area being unusually hard and a step up from the previous areas. It gets slightly easier the further you go in, but it's no slouch of a dungeon. The boss is no joke either if you're not prepared.

Rizzi

That's right after you
team up with Jinana's tribe
right? I remember the start of that area being unusually hard and a step up from the previous areas. It gets slightly easier the further you go in, but it's no slouch of a dungeon. The boss is no joke either if you're not prepared.

Yeah.
The Archangel enemies specifically.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Yeah.
The Archangel enemies specifically.
Try the Mamudo (Mudo + Death Spray) or Millennia Curse (Mudo + Mudo + Mudo) spell combos. The latter one is particularly effective (if it doesn't kill, it inflicts Curse, which makes the next Mudo a guaranteed kill), but it's an MP hog in the early game, so you may want to stick to the former one if the RNG gets particularly fond of spawning
Archangels

The wiki has a complete list of spell combos if you want to see what other options you may be unaware of: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Digital_Devil_Saga:_Avatar_Tuner_Combo_Skills

Best feature in Digital Devil Saga and Persona 2. I thoroughly missed them in SMT IV.

Rizzi

Beat the area that was giving me trouble. DDS is good. Really good.
Do I only ever have three party members though?

Top Bottom