• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei HD news coming on October 23

NSESN

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but the official website mentioned hd game as, "Brand New Entry for SMT Series" (Nintendo Switch).

So is it likely going to be Switch exclusive or did they just say that because it was only announced for Switch right now?

It only indicates that the game will release on Switch and it will probably be the main platform they developed for.

KLoWn

Super hyped for the new game, but I really hope we get a remaster of Nocturne and DDS too, since I've never played 'em and I don't have a PS3.

Localization seems to have been getting worse even on Atlus USA side though. I would expect ~8-10 months on a pessimistic side. The good thing is that since Switch is region free the import or just US eshop are easy. That doesn't get you anything but English though.

I'll take what I can get. I argued with someone outside of this forum who thinks there is a chance this will not leave Japan despite it getting major screentime at the Switch worldwide event

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
How III is edgelord? I see him as beyond generic boy with cool tattoo, even Flynn samurai pose and samurai long hair has more edge.
On top of the tattoo, he has the tail of a demonic parasite poking out of the back of his neck. The half-human, half-demon shtick is pretty edgy.

Nairume

Banned
I thought for sure they would make a DS3 on the 3DS with the updated versions and the DS2 anime, guess not though.
I wonder if DS3 ended up being a casualty of the blatant development troubles they ran into in the final days of Index that caused both P5 and #FE to take forever to materialize.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Take your bets now.

Will our main lead look like a edgelord? Or a conservative and simple look like Flynn from IV has?

A male/female option would be really nice. Especially if they're continuing down the road of IV:A levels of character interactions and development. Persona team apparently can't be bothered, but maybe SMT can do something with it. They've done it before in SMT:if and NINE.

Nimby

Banned
I wanted the next games character to be a create your Kaneko protagonist. With an array of dark eyeliner and mustaches to choose from. Assuming Kaneko returns.

Also, no voice over like DQXI? I'd welcome it as a stylistic choice since Nocturne had no VO and it is the last true SMT we got on a console and in 3D.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I wanted the next games character to be a create your Kaneko protagonist. With an array of dark eyeliner and mustaches to choose from. Assuming Kaneko returns.

Also, no voice over like DQXI? I'd welcome it as a stylistic choice since Nocturne had no VO and it is the last true SMT we got on a console and in 3D.

That would be awesome.

Oregano

Doi is the SMT series artist now, you just got to deal with that.

I quite like his art even if it's not Kaneko

brinstar

I want character creation too. You can already put the MC in all kinds of outfits in IV and IV:A so it feels like the next step.

Aters

For a character that is basically a player avatar, there's no reason not to let player choose the appearence, or even gender.

Snakeyes

Even though it seems unlikely based on the snippets we've seen so far, I'd love for this game to go back to a more otherworldly setting a la Nocturne or Strange Journey.

brinstar

honestly part of me was wondering if this was another IV-themed game since they had that focus on Odin at the end of the teaser, but I'm not sure what else could be done with that world (though I haven't finished IV:A yet, I'm in the last dungeon but from what I've heard it seems to have a definitive ending)

honestly part of me was wondering if this was another IV-themed game since they had that focus on Odin at the end of the teaser, but I'm not sure what else could be done with that world (though I haven't finished IV:A yet, I'm in the last dungeon but from what I've heard it seems to have a definitive ending)

I mean, Yamai said that they called the game Shin Megami Tensei IV Final (in Japan) to let people know that it was the end of the Shin Megami Tensei IV story and that the next game would be the start of a new story, so it would be weird to immediately go back on that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I want character creation too. You can already put the MC in all kinds of outfits in IV and IV:A so it feels like the next step.
I personally would really fucking hate that. Nocturne MC might have been silent protagonist but his design was vey unique and memorable and I don't want to loose that.

brinstar

I mean, Yamai said that they called the game Shin Megami Tensei IV Final (in Japan) to let people know that it was the end of the Shin Megami Tensei IV story and that the next game would be the start of a new story, so it would be weird to immediately go back on that.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that

I personally would really fucking hate that. Nocturne MC might have been silent protagonist but his design was vey unique and memorable and I don't want to loose that.

Nocturne came out 14 years ago. If they go in that direction that's fine but personally for example I would've liked to be able to make my own Nanashi in IV:A.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nocturne came out 14 years ago. If they go in that direction that's fine but personally for example I would've liked to be able to make my own Nanashi in IV:A.
I honestly hate character creation in any game. Silent or not I rather have established character design, it makes me connect with the character more.

Eolz

I can understanding wanting to choose the gender (not an established character, worked in other games of this universe...), but yeah, put me against the character customization (outside of outfits obviously) as well.

I don't think we should read too much into Odin's design, to go back to some previous posts.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm much more interested in a Male/Female option, but given the rather minimalist stylings of Kaneko and Dio make both great candidates for a custom character system, just like Yusuke Kozaki's style allowed for in FE:A and FE:F.

Normally I'm for set character designs, but the circumstances around SMT, the art and most recent games allowing for a large degree of armor customization just makes this a rather good fit.

Could I enjoy this if I liked P5 but couldn't have cared less about persona fusion. Switched from Arsene to some lad that was pre-order dlc I believe after the first dungeon and finished the game on normal without too much trouble. Never played SMT.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Could I enjoy this if I liked P5 but couldn't have cared less about persona fusion. Switched from Arsene to some lad that was pre-order dlc I believe after the first dungeon and finished the game on normal without too much trouble. Never played SMT.

Probably not. SMT is the Main Protag plus 3 demon allies in the party. Recruiting and Fusion are central to all this as you are constantly recruiting/fusing demons to create more powerful members for your party, along with fusing desirable traits/abilities.

Edit, that said SMT is generally a lot more snappy and fast paced than Persona in both this and combat. So these activities aren't a pain in the ass as is the case with Persona, especially 5, which has a terrible fusion menu which is super slow.

Eolz

Well, we don't know much about it yet, so hard to recommend :p
But SMT is a lot about negociation and fusion.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
A no fusion run on the normal difficulty should be doable without too much pain, if it's anything like the previous games. However, you'll still need to recruit demons via negotiation and carefully consider party composition (more so than on a regular playthrough because you won't be able to fuse munchkin abominations customized to tackle individual bosses), so if it's the monster collection aspect in its entirety (rather than the fusion system alone) that doesn't appeal to you, you should probably pass.
??? His design is because he's half demon. I don't get how that makes him edgy
He obtains demonic powers after a parasite, dropped on him by Lucifer in person, borrows into his skull. This strikes me as a rather edgy origin story. You're free to disagree, of course, but there is nothing unthinkable or surprising about other people considering the Demi-Fiend to be an edgy character.

Top Bottom