• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Soulhouf

Also decided to start this game over again after 10 or so hours when it first came out. Is any of the DLC worth owning? Silly question I know, but if any really impacts the game or is really excellent, I want to grab it.

You can grab the 4 story DLCs. These are good and won't break your progress since you can't beat them before the last part of the game.

Finally beat SMT4 for the first time, did the Chaos route. Super interesting game, loved the overall story and characters. Thought the ending was a bit drawn out though, kinda just kept going for a while there (then again I played the last 10 or so hours just this weekend pretty much.)

Don't know when I will do another playthrough for the other stories but probably not anytime soon. Enjoyed it but once was good for now :) Pretty much put all other games on hold to finally sit through this one, was definitely worth the time. World map could have been better though lol, honestly my only real complaint.

bobawesome

Could any fusion experts help me out here? For the past few nights I've been trying to fuse a Yoshitsune. I've been using a level 36 Kikuri-Hime and Tattooed Man as catalysts for a level 37 Clotho. This should technically work since Yoshitsune is only level 39, right? Both demons are dead and Tattooed Man is Foul which gives me the highest odds, I believe. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right because all my fusion accidents have resulted in run-of-the-mill demons.

Soulhouf

Could any fusion experts help me out here? For the past few nights I've been trying to fuse a Yoshitsune. I've been using a level 36 Kikuri-Hime and Tattooed Man as catalysts for a level 37 Clotho. This should technically work since Yoshitsune is only level 39, right? Both demons are dead and Tattooed Man is Foul which gives me the highest odds, I believe. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right because all my fusion accidents have resulted in run-of-the-mill demons.

That's right.
I managed to fuse Yoshitsune many times including when I was aiming for higher Famed demons.

Just one thing. Be careful with the skills you want to transfer since the heritage is based on what the game consider priority skills but which you don't necessarily want.
What is awesome with Yoshitsune is that he learns Life Surge which will save you a lot of hassle (it's considered as a very low priority skill). Just put a good physical skill so that he can inherit it and you're good.

bobawesome

That's right.
I managed to fuse Yoshitsune many times including when I was aiming for higher Famed demons.

Just one thing. Be careful with the skills you want to transfer since the heritage is based on what the game consider priority skills but which you don't necessarily want.
What is awesome with Yoshitsune is that he learns Life Surge which will save you a lot of hassle (it's considered as a very low priority skill). Just put a good physical skill so that he can inherit it and you're good.

Thanks for the tips and reassuring me that I'm on the right track. It'll make all the failures more bearable.

Soulhouf

Thanks for the tips and reassuring me that I'm on the right track. It'll make all the failures more bearable.

You're welcome.
Here is a good tip to accelerate the process: fuse/summon as many demons as possible who are around Yoshitsune's level. That way you increase the chance of getting him by accident since the game will have fewer options to roll through.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So Im finally getting around to picking this up again to actually sit down and finish it, just want to get general input -

If I'm only going to be playing this once (at least for several several years), what route should I go for my one-and-only playthough? Neutral or Chaos?
Fuck law

Protag

Banned
So Im finally getting around to picking this up again to actually sit down and finish it, just want to get general input -

If I'm only going to be playing this once (at least for several several years), what route should I go for my one-and-only playthough? Neutral or Chaos?
Fuck law

Chaos, spent 109 hours on my first playthrough, and it was chaos alignment.

70 on law. when i was trying to get neutral i got locked into law, didnt see the point in doing all sidequests for law except the exclusive ones, when i wanted to do them for neutral, so that cut my hours back by 30, and even more.

Go chaos, then law, and then finish with neutral.

Edit: oh you said fluck law, so just do chaos, then neutral.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Chaos, spent 109 hours on my first playthrough, and it was chaos alignment.

70 on law. when i was trying to get neutral i got locked into law, didnt see the point in doing all sidequests for law except the exclusive ones, when i wanted to do them for neutral, so that cut my hours back by 30, and even more.

Go chaos, then law, and then finish with neutral.

Edit: oh you said fluck law, so just do chaos, then neutral.

Again, only one playthrough period. If I do another playthrough, it won't be for many years. So if I'm only doing one, chaos or neutral.

Fuck law

I went Neutral because I didn't want to miss anything, but I began to feel the game overstaying its welcome toward the end. I think Chaos will suffice.

squadr0n

Need some advise on where to go from here,

Im a little over 10 hours in and im currently stuck at the Medusa fight. I still have Capture the Berserker, and Slaying the Dragon of the Lake quests available. Where is a good place to go to level up some more and which quests can I handle at my current level. Any suggestions would be amazing, ive been stuck here for a bit and cannot find any new demons to fuse at my level.

Im lvl 16 and I have in my party:
Hooligan
Spriggan
Toubyou
Jack Frost
Napaea
Bilwis

I just bought armor that should resist force for the dragon of the lake quest and then electricity for the Medusa boss fight. Still not sure where to level up though. The dragon destroys my party after his first attack. Medusa is a little easier but still cant get past the 2nd question.

Just bought this game today. Loving it so far. But Im getting hammered in the training dungeon. Recluiting those demons. Im going tp run out of play coins.

Any tips guys?

Soulhouf

Just bought this game today. Loving it so far. But Im getting hammered in the training dungeon. Recluiting those demons. Im going tp run out of play coins.

Any tips guys?

At the begining of the game never start a conversation when there are still more than one demon (later it will become a lot easier if you activate some apps).
It's a trial and error thing but you'll eventually get used to it once you figured out how each demon behave.

@squadr0n: leveling won't do much really. Demon fusion is the key to success.

NeonZ

I just bought armor that should resist force for the dragon of the lake quest and then electricity for the Medusa boss fight. Still not sure where to level up though. The dragon destroys my party after his first attack. Medusa is a little easier but still cant get past the 2nd question.

You know that Medusa is weak to force spells, right? Get demons with Zan, Mazan or other Zan variations. Defense and attack boosting spells also help a lot against most bosses.

Hey, guys. I need advice on which app to get next. Which of these should I prioritze, skill augment or summon discount?

Hope someone reads this. Thank you.

vocab

Hey, guys. I need advice on which app to get next. Which of these should I prioritze, skill augment or summon discount?

Hope someone reads this. Thank you.

Neither. They both suck. Skill augment is better though, but totally random. I never took it. Summon discount is so small that its barely noticeable. Most of the resummons through the compendium are usually for lower level things that are cheap. If you are summoning 200k demons over and over that 5% anit doing shit.

Neither. They both suck. Skill augment is better though, but totally random. I never took it. Summon discount is so small that its barely noticeable. Most of the resummons through the compendium are usually for lower level things that are cheap. If you are summoning 200k demons over and over that 5% anit doing shit.

What do you suggest I spend my apps on? I currently have maxed skill slots for me and my demons, party MP recovery, scout+, and 4 demon slots.

Thank you.

Edit: Also, I was looking to actually max out the summon discount for the 50% off. Just not sure what to prioritize first. But if there's a better way to spend my app points, I'm all for it.

I like Skill Augment. Sometimes you can get cool skills out of it. Unfortunately, I can't remember any specific examples of it working for me at present; it's been a while since I played. I think it gave me a bunch of Null/Reflect/Drain Element skills, among other things.

Edit: The full discount is definitely useful if you do a lot of resummoning + fusing, as I do.

I like Skill Augment. Sometimes you can get cool skills out of it. Unfortunately, I can't remember any specific examples of it working for me at present; it's been a while since I played. I think it gave me a bunch of Null/Reflect/Drain Element skills, among other things.

Edit: The full discount is definitely useful if you do a lot of resummoning + fusing, as I do.

Yeah, I was really hoping to get some useful skills early with skill augment. But, then, how often does it trigger skill mutations?

Yeah, I was really hoping to get some useful skills early with skill augment. But, then, how often does it trigger skill mutations?

I don't remember exactly, but it seemed often enough. It was every level or every other level, or something around there. Not sure if that depended on my Luck stat or not.

Edit: Oh, if you only have four demon slots, fix that. They all level simultaneously, so you can work on leveling and skill mutating in big groups.

Nimby

Banned
What? Both of those are good apps, Skill Augment will net you skills slightly more powerful than the base skill, and you can eventually lower your summon discount by 50% (maybe 40%?), in the end it made a huge difference for me.

What? Both of those are good apps, Skill Augment will net you skills slightly more powerful than the base skill, and you can eventually lower your summon discount by 50% (maybe 40%?), in the end it made a huge difference for me.

Yeah, I think so too. Maybe after a few demon slots, I'll be maxing summon discount next.
But, in your opinion, between skill augment and summon discount, which would you prioritize first?

Yeah, I think so too. Maybe after a few demon slots, I'll be maxing summon discount next.
But, in your opinion, between skill augment and summon discount, which would you prioritize first?

I can't speak for Nimby, but I always go for Skill Augment first because it gives you maximum mutation chances. Discounts are only useful when you actually resummon things.

I can't speak for Nimby, but I always go for Skill Augment first because it gives you maximum mutation chances. Discounts are only useful when you actually resummon things.

I see. I actually do resummon demons a lot when fusing. And lately, they're becoming a bit expensive, costing around 15k-30k macca.

40detectives

Neo Member
Meanwhile in Europe eShop....

tumblr_mhibxmCJaf1rc407qo1_400.gif

Kanra

So who here has got all the endings? And which one was your favorite? My favorite was definitely the Neutral.Felt complete in a way. But I also enjoyed the chaos one, mainly because I like Walter and
the demons flooding Mikado
at the end was great.

Aexact

I thought the Chaos ending is thematically proper but the result is terrible! Just as the idea of Chaos is meant to be,
it's all about screw everyone who isn't the protag and his bestest Chaos buddy. Even if they were dogmatic weirdos, Mikado didn't deserve that. I mean, it's easier to feel sorry for Walter compared to Johnathan growing up in a "give me liberty!" country, but I can't think of that thing as Walter. He said as much when Lucifer needed a body. The Law end was also problematic but it didn't feel so spiteful.

The difficulty of balancing responses and the lengthy nature of going through both Chaos and Law
dungeons and having to do a bunch of sidequests made Neutral seem like the true ending. You had to work harder to get it. The ending cinematic sure had more life to it too and
the air is a lot more positive compared to the Pyrrhic victories of Law and Chaos. It makes me resent it actually, rewarding the player for maintaining the status quo and being wishy washy.

bobawesome

Looks like Europeans finally have a solid release date.

So who here has got all the endings? And which one was your favorite? My favorite was definitely the Neutral.Felt complete in a way. But I also enjoyed the chaos one, mainly because I like Walter and
the demons flooding Mikado
at the end was great.

Neutral was my favorite. I loved the reveal that
Masakado became the ceiling over Tokyo.

My first playthrough, I accidentally chose the Nihilism ending. I...wasn't a big fan.

cj_iwakura

SMT endings are usually awful at worst, thin at best.

The only ending I ever thought was thorough and enjoyable was SMTII's Chaos ending.

Everything else is usually a footnote. Devil Summoner endings are fantastic, though. Both Raidous and Soul Hackers have thought-provoking, melancholic finales.

Nimby

Banned
I see. I actually do resummon demons a lot when fusing. And lately, they're becoming a bit expensive, costing around 15k-30k macca.

Sorry I didn't reply, but I would prioritize the discounts first. Skill Augment can be manipulated (saving before leveling up a demon, reloading if you don't get the skill) allowing you to save time and not become overleveled, so it's a good 'near the end' app.

40detectives

Neo Member
SMT endings are usually awful at worst, thin at best.

The only ending I ever thought was thorough and enjoyable was SMTII's Chaos ending.

Everything else is usually a footnote. Devil Summoner endings are fantastic, though. Both Raidous and Soul Hackers have thought-provoking, melancholic finales.
EDIT: I've messed it up with some posible spoilers, my bad

I don't know about the others but I found Soul Hackers ending pretty empty,
at least the first one you can get..

It only showed a lot of the characters saying good bye and moving out Amami.
I enjoyed it a lot gameplay-wise, but story-wise I was expecting the big thing event after event...

And the Kuzunoha thing (which I found it very cool) never ended taking off... They are just playing a supporting role.

Nimby

Banned
I don't know about the others but I found Soul Hackers ending pretty empty, at least the first one you can get..

It only showed a lot of the characters saying good bye and moving out Amami
. I enjoyed it a lot gameplay-wise, but story-wise I was expecting the big thing event after event...

And the Kuzunoha thing (which I found it very cool) never ended taking off... They are just playing a supporting role.

I haven't played Soul Hackers, but maybe you should spoiler tag that.

And yeah, SMT IV has some pretty underwhelming endings, albeit I only finished Chaos and working on Neutral now.

LostAnkh

I would like some suggestions on how I should progress from here on, because I'm almost done with my first playthrough of the game. I just finished the fight with Baal, winning through sheer luck, and using the same demons I've been using for a good chunk of the game. I'm playing a magic MC, and he's been good so far, aside from status effects.

What should I do to prep from the end? Any demons or skills worth obtaining? Because I honestly feel like I'm going to be demolished at any time after I complete the last side quest before the final arc of the game starts.

Korigama

I finally beat the For the Past...For the Future DLC just now, and...I'm amazed at just how freaking easy it was after having struggled with it for so long. If I had only simplified my strategy earlier, I would've been done with it much sooner. A Uriel with Dark Energy, Charge, Pierce Physical, High Phys Pleroma and Phys Pleroma, and Kannuki-Throw was accounted for (as I had been doing before), but even though I didn't use the same other demons, I applied the same support strategies to the battle that this guy used, and won in a single try after coming back to the game for the first time in months.

Feels good...feels really good.
I would like some suggestions on how I should progress from here on, because I'm almost done with my first playthrough of the game. I just finished the fight with Baal, winning through sheer luck, and using the same demons I've been using for a good chunk of the game. I'm playing a magic MC, and he's been good so far, aside from status effects.

What should I do to prep from the end? Any demons or skills worth obtaining? Because I honestly feel like I'm going to be demolished at any time after I complete the last side quest before the final arc of the game starts.
Depends on what alignment you're locked into. I found the DLC quests (and the road to making the preparations needed to even stand a chance in the one I mentioned above) more of a challenge than any of the endgame content from the main game, though Beelzebub was no picnic. If you've managed this far, you should be okay.

cj_iwakura

EDIT: I've messed it up with some posible spoilers, my bad

I don't know about the others but I found Soul Hackers ending pretty empty,
at least the first one you can get..

It only showed a lot of the characters saying good bye and moving out Amami.
I enjoyed it a lot gameplay-wise, but story-wise I was expecting the big thing event after event...

I agree, but maybe that's how they wanted them to be. Maybe they didn't have the budget to fully flesh out their involvement.

I still enjoyed the wistful tone of the finale. It felt like they just had to mature and move on from the hacker life.

LostAnkh

Depends on what alignment you're locked into. I found the DLC quests (and the road to making the preparations needed to even stand a chance in the one I mentioned above) more of a challenge than any of the endgame content from the main game, though Beelzebub was no picnic. If you've managed this far, you should be okay.
I'm going the Neutral route, and that there's twice the amount of work you have to do since you aren't with either Walter or Jonathan.

NeonZ

You haven't fought against the fiends, right? Matador was pretty crazy. On the other hand, I didn't buy the Masakado DLC, so I can't compare with that.

Caladrius

The only fiends that gave me a significant amount of trouble were Red Rider (which took about a dozen tries) and Trumpeter (mostly because he wouldn't spawn until like 700 reloads).

NeonZ

Maybe it was just the set up of my team, but Matador's unique attack (
that automatically reduced the hp of any demon to 1
) was the worst thing I've had to deal with even including the Ancient of Days and Sanat from the DLC.

vocab

Maybe it was just the set up of my team, but Matador's unique attack (
that automatically reduced the hp of any demon to 1
) was the worst thing I've had to deal with even including the Ancient of Days and Sanat from the DLC.

meh. You get that attack many times in nocturne throughout the game. Just salvation and be done with it.

NeonZ

meh. You get that attack many times in nocturne throughout the game. Just salvation and be done with it.

Matador had multiple press turns though, and his other attack could easily one shot demons with lower hp (the ones with high hp here who would run out of mp after attacking or healing a few times).

Korigama

You haven't fought against the fiends, right? Matador was pretty crazy. On the other hand, I didn't buy the Masakado DLC, so I can't compare with that.
Only Black Rider IIRC, and even then I wasn't looking for him when I found him (by comparison, any fiends that I actually did look for, I couldn't get to show up). I considered him stealing most of my Macca the worst thing about that fight, not too much of a problem otherwise.

Soulhouf

The only fiends that gave me a significant amount of trouble were Red Rider (which took about a dozen tries) and Trumpeter (mostly because he wouldn't spawn until like 700 reloads).

Yeah Red Rider is probably the toughest fiend.
5 press turns, he usually start with War Cry followed by Antichthon spam if you're resistant to his favorite element (fire).

Matador and Red Rider are the only fiends that managed to kill me and they still do every time I fight them.

Korigama

Finally managed to find and fight Red Rider, and...kinda disappointed, since I beat him on my first try. To be fair, though, I got lucky with him never using or getting to use Antichthon. I read that you can get away with bringing at least two demons that null, repel, or drain fire, so I kept Uriel and Michael around for that, with Seth set for my fourth demon without any fire protection (I only brought him since mine had Doping, but I completely forgot my Michael had it too), then swapped out Seth for Demonee-ho on my second turn, who only resists fire. The only real problems I ran into were War Cry and Purple Smoke (along with a critical with one regular attack), but I had Flynn deal with the latter with Salvation and the former with a Dekunda Stone by the time I had my Uriel w/Dark Energy+Charge ready, using Demonee-ho to hit Red Rider's ice weakness with Breath (having had Michael use Archangel's Law on him for that on the third turn), with Flynn also hitting him with Antichthon a couple of times during the fight. By the fourth turn, I had my chance for Kannuki-Throw with a smirking Uriel, so I went for it and that was it.

That said, even if I didn't have something as overpowered as the same Uriel that I used to beat Masakado's Shadow on my team, I didn't consider it a particularly difficult fight based on how things were going for me. I wanted to beat the crap out of Red Rider after all of the trouble I went through to finally get him to show up, but I'd be lying if said Kannuki-Throw+Dark Energy+Charge+Smirk didn't take some of the fun out of it, as cathartic as it was to see.

Top Bottom