• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I can respect that stance. I enjoy my physical boxes too and will be sure to rebuy this once I get a PS4 or X1. Bethesda really dropped the PR ball on this game. I guess for future reference, Bethesda only gives language options for PC players :/

Fucking Bethesda.

Bethesda fucked up hard anyway because the whole communication thing was way to shady,
they were totally not transparent about the whole thing, about languages and the PC steam specs,
we had to annoy them so they would publish at least some valuable stuff.
It sucks that especially with this game, something like that happened.

Bethesda fucked up hard anyway because the whole communication thing was way to shady,
they were totally not transparent about the whole thing, about languages and the PC steam specs,
we had to annoy them so they would publish at least some valuable stuff.
It sucks that especially with this game, something like that happened.

Yea. If this were any other game I'd have passed until a $5 sale.

As a german, I've heard worse jobs in terms of voice acting in video games...

Agree. Ever heard the german King's Field IV voice acting?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqxa-Lhoggw

Now that's the most pathetic voice acting I ever heard in my life.

Everything. Well maybe it's just me but i can't stand german voices in mah vidyagames.

Why do so many germans dislike their own language? lol
It's not even my native language but I find german absolutely rad.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
fuckin' racist

I'm german, well austrian but i speak the same language :p

Why do so many germans dislike their own language? lol
It's not even my native language but I find german absolutely rad.

I give you that, in movies and series the german voice acting is pretty amazing but in games? oh hell no, stay the hell away from me.

Agree. Ever heard the german King's Field IV voice acting?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqxa-Lhoggw

Now that's the most pathetic voice acting I ever heard in my life.

You cannot compare the voice acting from the PS2 era to an recent released game.
The budget wasn't that high too for Kings Field 4, because German voice actings were pretty new at that year.
I'm German my self, and the voice acting is atrocious in the trailer.
In the German trailer, it sounds totally amateurish, and goofy, they try hard to let Ruvik sound evil, but he sounds pretty silly.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh, I now know why I couldn't find it. My memory jumbled up a bit. It was a recent video from the final version of the game taken down.

One thing about the audio issue, were the reports of limited language from the PS3 version of the game or the PS4/Xbox One? I'm thinking it was probably from PS3, and if so, maybe it was cut for disc space? Just a theory.

Dusk Golem

Also for Ruvik, he is probably the voice actor who would be the hardest to find a good fit for. He has to sound evil, yes. But there are scenes of him in his
teen years
. The American actor I'll give credit did a very good job with him, but not that surprising since the person playing him is a good actor. Makes him sound sinister and menacing when it fits, but also made him sound legitimately
younger and a bit more indecisive and confused in his younger self flashback scenes in the demo.

Finding someone who can make someone sound menacing and scary, calm, but also insane, and also act as a
younger version of that character in some emotionally stressing scenes
for the character, is a challenge, I'd imagine.

Dusk Golem

Dusk, come on, man. Spoilers. *sigh*

Oui, is that a spoiler!? I'll mark them, but they were in the demo and been in basically every video of the game for the last seven months since for a long period of time the only gameplay of the game was from the demo.

Sn4ke_911

It's an anti-joke :p

But really, is German voice acting that bad in games? I've only been able to hear English/Spanish/French/Japanese as a US player.

Watch videos of the Last of Us with German voice acting,
you want to vomit, I can guarantee you that.

Yup, the english voice acting in TLoU is one of the best ever in gaming history. Why anyone would take the german VA's over the english ones is beyond me.

Steez

Oui, is that a spoiler!? I'll mark them, but they were in the demo and been in basically every video of the game for the last seven months since for a long period of time the only gameplay of the game was from the demo.

First time I heard of it. Oh, and you missed one.

Yup, the english voice acting in TLoU is one of the best ever in gaming history. Why anyone would take the german VA's over the english ones is beyond me.

It is even more silly, because at this day and age they have more budget available than lets say 5 or 10 years ago for German voice acting.
I'm still confused why most of the German voice acting in games is so bad than the English one.

@Crimson
I only heard it once, when someone was streaming it on Twitch,
I always play my games with English voice acting, or Japanese voice acting.
My PS4 system language is English as well.

Steez

It is even more silly, because at this day and age they have more budget available than lets say 5 or 10 years ago for German voice acting. I'm still confused why most of the German voice acting in games is so bad than the English one.

Because they don't give a shit. I guess most German actors don't take games seriously and it shows, or rather sounds.

edit:

@Dusk: It probably isn't. Would've been nice to discover it in-game though. Either way, don't worry about it. It's fine.

Dusk Golem

First time I heard of it. Oh, and you missed one.

Just know it's probably not a major spoiler of any kind, it's in the demo that's been at every trade show and been sent out to YouTube Let's Players to play early that uploaded videos of it months ago and is the demo Pete from Bethesda played himself on Bethesda's official YouTube channel a few months ago.

Sanctuary

I just found out that the game is called Psycho Break in Japan.

Total deal breaker

Pre-order cancelled.

I mean, if they're changing the name of the game, who knows what else the team decided to change last minute.
;), for all the drama queens in here, lol

That would be kind of funny if it wasn't like "Welcome to 1996" kind of material.

Mikami said even in regard to Resident Evil, he finds that name totally dumb.
I like the name Biohazard more too as well.

Huh? I don't recall him saying he thought Resident Evil was "dumb", only that "Biohazard" was used in Japan because it was easier for them to pronounce. Personally, I prefer Resident Evil by far, and I already knew about the name differences when the game was released. Biohazard makes sense from a technical standpoint, but it just seems too vanilla compared to Resident Evil (which also reminds you of Alone in the Dark along with the obvious, heavily borrowed gameplay). There was also a pretty shitty groove metal band with the same name in the US that was very popular when the series launched.

Sn4ke_911

It is even more silly, because at this day and age they have more budget available than lets say 5 or 10 years ago for German voice acting.
I'm still confused why most of the German voice acting in games is so bad than the English one.

Exactly, and why the hell is the german voice acting in movies and series soooo much better than in games?

Take a look at Breaking Bad, you can really watch it in german. The voice acting is phenomenal but in games? just awful.

Dusk Golem

Are the reviews embargoed until release day?

Yes, however several shops have been selling early, and apparently for multiple people here in this very topic, their copies were just shipped today and should be arriving tomorrow, so we both have user impressions of the game and more GAF impressions should be coming in soon.

Exactly, and why the hell is the german voice acting in movies and series soooo much better than in games?

Take a look at Breaking Bad, you can really watch it in german. The voice acting is phenomenal but in games? just awful.

Guess German voice actors find video games silly, they do not see them equal as movies or tv-series.
That was always the problem with German voice acting, Germans see games as something else, not worthy enough to get something decent out of it.

It's a real shame because we actually have pretty good voice actors in Germany. They usually work for movies and are more expensive but hey, they're there. Manfred Lehmann who is known for voicing Bruce Willis has acted in Crysis 2. Was good.

Sn4ke_911

Guess German voice actors find video games silly, they do not see them equal as movies or tv-series. That was always the problem with German voice acting, Germans see games as something else, not worthy enough to get something decent out of it.

Then why even take the time to record shit for games? seriously nobody wants to hear something half assed.

I would also think a big part of it is the voice director, they just have better directors for movies or so, i don't know.

Oh, I now know why I couldn't find it. My memory jumbled up a bit. It was a recent video from the final version of the game taken down.

One thing about the audio issue, were the reports of limited language from the PS3 version of the game or the PS4/Xbox One? I'm thinking it was probably from PS3, and if so, maybe it was cut for disc space? Just a theory.

The one I know has the PS4 version.

I'm hoping, sincerely hoping, that the game will unlock on Steam early, especially with them shipping copies to console buyers early, but I heavily doubt Bethesda is going too.

I wouldn't guess so, Bethesda is very anti-consumer, we had 2 examples of that.
Would be cool if it would happen, but I seriously doubt that.

@Krusenstern
The voice actor of Bruce Willis is really decent, I like him, but Bethesda went the cheap way to get German voice actors it seems.

Top Bottom